[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come nobody is discussing The Revenant on this board? Literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: oscarpls.jpg (240 KB, 1800x1012) Image search: [Google]
oscarpls.jpg
240 KB, 1800x1012
How come nobody is discussing The Revenant on this board?

Literally MOTY.
>>
lots of people have

everyone accepts that its pretty boring and too long
>>
treenigger propaganda
>>
>>64229689
>everyone accepts that its pretty boring and too long

speak for yourself millennial
>>
[groaning intensifies]
>>
Is it at least visually interesting? Because the premise already bores me.
>>
It was really good. Super comfy desu senpai. Didn't even realize Tom Hardy was Tom Hardy until 1/3 in, man's an excellent actor. Leo even felt like another character most of the time and not just Leo doing an accent, probably because he didn't talk too much. Ending was kind of a let down in terms of how generic it was though.

Overall, 8/10 movie.
>>
>MOTY

It's a FOTY at best
>>
this board is /starwars/
this content is unrelated
>>
>>64229680
There was a good thread going this morning. I think they're getting deleted for some reason.

Also, yes, it's moty. Leo is going to finally get his oscar.
>>
When did it leak? Cam or screener? Good quality? Should wait to see it in theater or?
>>
>>64229900
screener, and it has pretty good quality for a screener. you could wait because the cinematography is the best part of the film
>>
>>64229900
Two weeks ago. Screener. Good enough. Watch it on your computer. Or?
>>
>>64229680

It hasn't been released yet, duh.
>>
>>64229680
It is not in cinemas yet. I agree it was pretty good and better than Cape Wars.
>>
>>64229680
It doesn't come out until January so it can't be anything 2015 related
>>
File: hugh-glass.jpg (178 KB, 570x401) Image search: [Google]
hugh-glass.jpg
178 KB, 570x401
My main problem with this movie is the Hugh Glass character.

He is just so bland. We know almost nothing about him, he has no development or character arc to speak of and very little personality.
He just get constantly shit on by nature and indians.

Tom Hardy was much more interesting.
>>
>>64229680

The first half is amazing. Then Leo randomly gets rescued by a sole Native American and all the suspense slowly ebbs away.

Then the last act is a typical showdown, which could have been good but is ruined by Inaritu's need to make everything as gritty and emo as possible, right down to Leo dropping his rifle and leaving it for no reason so they can have a knife fight.

Still, what a great first couple of sequences, eh?
>>
>>64229680
Pretty good. But leo fever trips were kinda boring and pointless.
>>
saw it yesterday. visually beautiful, well acted, with god tier score but it felt a little drawn out at times
>>
>>64229680
They should have made it, a based Fitzgerald film.
DiCaprio's character had only the bear going for him.
>>
>>64229945
Do you have autism?
>>
>>64230089
And oscar goes to Tom Hardy, sorry Leo.
>>
>>64229900

It's Lubezki. Just wait to see it appropriately.
>>
I loved how all the white boys got butt hurt fitzgerald was a bitch and got scalped like a faggot what a shame.
>>
>>64230153
it's because the character was well-developed and acted, and seemed to represent civilized values in some way, but turned out to be a setup for Leo to attempt surprisesex on Hardy in a way that wound up being completely negated because within a few minutes they were back to jogging around in the woods trying to get clear shots at each other again.

It's the kind of wasted premise which really confronts you with why a director like James Cameron (who can squeeze the maximum out of every good idea) shits on an overrated arthouse memester like Innaritu.
>>
Watching this on acid was an experience.
end was a little shit though
>>
>>64230232
>James Cameron (who can squeeze the maximum out of every good idea) shits on an overrated arthouse memester like Innaritu.

reddit is really out of hand
>>
>>64230253
youre a little shit though
>>
>>64230123
Yeah. You got me.
>>
>>64229680
A bold cinematic experience in the American frontier. Held-up by the strong foundation that is Lubezki's cinematography. The narrative is a bit paper-thin however. Strong performances from all involved, but Tom Hardy steals the show from Leo, without question.

The film gets points for displaying the barbarity and savagery of the American frontier in an accurate manner. From the Pawnee, to the French and American colonialists, to the nature and wildlife of the barren wilderness. The theme of survivalism (man vs. man + man vs. nature) is expressed quite competently by Inarritu.

The negative includes the mysticism and spirituality presented in the film. They are quite esoteric subjects, so dealing with it in a cinematic presentation can either elevate a film, or devolve it into a pretentiousness. Inarritu's directing leads to the latter. It's presented badly and pulls you out of the film.

The other negative is the aforementioned "paper-thin" narrative. There is a subplot involving a Pawnee chief's kidnapped daughter, but apart from that, the main narrative is a simple revenge story. Leo's character does not really undergo any kind of transition or arc. His character is quite one-dimensional. The subject matter of Hugh Glass himself is an interesting one, and his forgiveness of those who left him for dead would've made for a much richer film. The theme of revenge leading to redemption, and them finally to absolution is a stronger character arc and thematic journey than one revolving around blind-vengeance.

Overall I give it 4/5. A great film with missed potential in some areas. But all-in-all, an enjoyable film to watch and experience.
>>
snooze of the year
>>
>>64230340
ebin
>>
>>64229680
It gave the treeniggers.
From now on I'll be using it to describe the indians.
>>
>>64230232
what the fuck are you even rambling about? from the very first minute to the vary last fitzgerald is a greedy scumbag and acts upon his nature at any circumstance. there is no character development, unlike leo for whom the only solace is his son and when he loses him he becomes a hust of a man driven only by desire of revenge.
>>
File: Jackie Stallone.jpg (237 KB, 1141x776) Image search: [Google]
Jackie Stallone.jpg
237 KB, 1141x776
>>64230125
Stallone will get Best Supporting Actor for Creed.
Sorry big guy.
>>
>>64229680
Because Eddie Redmeme tucked his dick and balls between his legs on screen, so Leo will get btfo again.
>>
File: 200_s[1].gif (60 KB, 381x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s[1].gif
60 KB, 381x200
>>64230367
>The theme of revenge leading to redemption, and them finally to absolution is a stronger character arc and thematic journey

woah easy their Einstein, Innaritu isn't one of your fancy-thinkin' writer-directors with the ideas and whatnot. that shit don't win ya no oscars now dunnit?
>>
>>64230420
lmao I thought Domnhall Gleeson's character was Fitzgerald. it was a character name mixup.

the last act sees Domnhall and Leo split up solely so Domnhall can be killed and Leo can do a switcharoo with his body. it was pretty much horror film-tier writing.
>>
>>64230448
Yeah Bwackie!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KYv0e1FXJU
>>
>>64230025

what are you talking about?
he was a very interesting character
>>
was it rape?
>>
>>64231656
He blinked his eyes, so he consented.
>>
>>64230037
He wanted to kill Fitzgerald the same way he killed his son. Pottery and whatnot
>>
why did some redskins kill the whiteys on sight, while others were helpful?
>>
>>64231692
I think he was talking about the bear and yes it was rape
>>
>>64229693
Because we hear so much about them already. Cuck plz leave.
>>
>>64230367

>The theme of revenge leading to redemption, and them finally to absolution is a stronger character arc and thematic journey than one revolving around blind-vengeance

I would actually really like this. It would made the movie and Leos character much more interesting

the final fight was fucking savage tho desu
>>
>>64229750
The cinematography is the strongest thing it has going for it. Movie is beautifully shot. It doesn't deserve any awards for acting, but it definitely deserves recognition in that aspect.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.