[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Point out one flaw in Empire Strikes Back. >you can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: MPW-46354.jpg (101 KB, 500x696) Image search: [Google]
MPW-46354.jpg
101 KB, 500x696
Point out one flaw in Empire Strikes Back.

>you can't
>>
I can
but I won't
>>
>>64228471
The writing's a bit flat in areas. That and it most definitely is a middle movie in that it feels like it's lacking an arc for the characters (gets picked up in RotJ, I know).
>>
Major one

A movie shouldn't end with the expectation that you have to watch the sequel for things to be resolved
>>
>>64228471
Vader doesn't have two lightsabers
>>
>>64228471
Pacing in the middle of the movie.
>>
>>64228471
The opening battle made no sense. Why didn't the Empire just hyperspace passed their shields?
>>
File: 8AErMkN.jpg (39 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
8AErMkN.jpg
39 KB, 540x960
The Cloud City escape, while entertaining and featuring great music, could have done with having a bigger challenge for Leia, Lando, and Chewie than "can R2-D2 open this door?... He can!"

Could maybe have done with a space battle (not just the Falcon fleeing Star Destroyers/TIE fighters) but that would have wrecked the pacing I guess.
>>
>>64228527
they are just "episodes"
>>
Cannot be watched as a standalone movie.

If you tried you'd be wondering why Luke can magically move a flashlight that cuts things. You'd also be perplexed as to why Luke sees a ghost he calls "Ben". Among other things. You need some setup from Star Wars 1977 to fill it all in.

The story also ends on a cliffhanger. Not a big mark against it, but again, not a movie that can really be watched by itself. It needs the other two parts of the trilogy to complete it.

Star Wars 1977 is really the only self contained SW movie. Which makes it less flawed than ESB.
>>
>>64228471
Incest
>>
File: 800px-Plot_Line_Graph_Ver.2.png (65 KB, 800x485) Image search: [Google]
800px-Plot_Line_Graph_Ver.2.png
65 KB, 800x485
>>64228527
Shut the fuck up. You know nothing. This movie's biggest strength is that it ends with everyone at their lowest point. The trilogy works as a three act structure; the second act is that in which every good guy is losing. Learn something about film you retard.
>>
>>64228527
To be fair, that's a big Flash Gordon thing. Each part of that old Flash Gordon serial would end on a cliffhanger.
>>
>>64228944
>realize star wars wasnt meant to be taken seriously and thats why lucas hates fans.
>>
>>64229113
Yes, Star Wars was always supposed to be this fun thing that grew out of control.

>saw the 1977 one with my dad
>my dad was super into flash gordon as a kid
>he kept pointing out all the things that were from flash gordon
>he really loved it
>he never saw any of the other ones
>"it was too good, it'll never get better, son"

Dad knew.
>>
>>64229448
Except it did get better with Empire
>>
Leia kisses Luke, despite saying in the next film that she knew they were siblings all along
>>
Literally nothing happens until Bespin
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.