[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
6 episodes in on this shit show. Holy fuck, it's literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
File: mad-men-1.jpg (60 KB, 635x420) Image search: [Google]
mad-men-1.jpg
60 KB, 635x420
6 episodes in on this shit show. Holy fuck, it's literally a glorified soap opera.

>le 50s
>le workplace affairs
>le betrayal
>le witty, indulgent dialogue
>le flat protagonist with secret, haunted past xD

I'm actually embarrassed someone on here described it as "The Sopranos, except with ad execs instead of mobsters," or something to that effect. Fuck you, whoever you were. The closest thing this show has to a good character is Pete. Literally everyone else is fucking terrible.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 848x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 848x477
>>
>6 episodes in

How about you fuck off till you've seen at least a season or three, faggot.
>>
>>64228062
Just stay on /v/ if you're under 20 and have shit taste
>>
>>64228062
>Firstly it's the 60's. It starts in 1960 and runs to 1970.
>Yeah, people back then fucked like dogs. Pre-aids days people used to have fun.
>Not the first drama to portray betrayal.
>hmm dialogue
>and backstory...

Are you stupid or just bait?
>>
>>64228062
almost finished season 2 and i totally agree.
this show is dog shit, no character is likeable and just like all other period dramas, the story is absolutely worthless
>>
Not liking Mad Men is literally the best plebfilter on this board
>>
>>64228062
Fuck off kid
Go watch Breaking bad and the Walking dead
>>
>>64228307
I'll gladly go watch Breaking Bad over this pile of shit. FYI, if you unironically believe Mad Men is better than Breaking Bad, you're either a contrarian or a pleb.
>>
>>64228062
Its an AMC show dude, you should be embarrassed for buying into the hype of this network. Same with FX.
>>
>>64228062

Probably bait but fuck you, Mad Men is god tier. Sopranos reaches higher levels, but Mad Men is such a complete package that doesn't have the weak episodes Sopranos occasionally does.

Great acting, well written, believable period piece.

I don't understand your calling this a soap opera either. Is every drama without action a soap opera to you? If this fits your definition, any drama is a soap opera.
>>
>>64228062
Are you the same guy who was complaining about it in some thread two days ago?
>>
>>64228062
OP it seems to me you fell for the Mad Men is good meme. Luckily you seem to have the intelligence to realize it's shit instead of watching the whole thing waiting for something good to happen. It never does. It's shit up until the last moment of the god awful finale.

I say finish the season and then move on, nothing better happens in the show after that and they basically do the same thing every season.
>>
>>64228062
i bet you watch anime
>>
Mad Men is the 4th greatest television show ever. You must be autismal

Stick to Chuck Lorre CBS laughtrack shitfests
>>
>>64228185
>>64228307
>>64230351
>>64230383
Good job. The show being obnoxious and pretentious also happens to have fans of the same caliber. These people actually think they're watching sophisticated television that can only be appreciated by true gentlemen such as them and actually feel superior to people who watch other garbage shows.
>>
>>64228062
Taking the bait.

>le 50s
60s, but I'll bite. Anyone who likes the show can admit that the first season winks a little too hard with the period setting, but past that they really learned how to play off historical events and culture well.

>le workplace affairs
Not an alien concept (especially back then) and adds another layer to the office politics.

>le witty, indulgent dialogue
Not strictly true, the show is smart in deploying this. It's fitting that more bombastic characters like Don, Roger and Joan get the best lines; it's in-character for them to be confident and articulate. Meanwhile, Pete, Peggy and Betty at this point are all sheltered and insecure with low social intelligence, so believably they absolutely do not go around dispensing 'witty' one liners like your pals Heisenberg and Tyrion.

Your third and fifth complaints could only come from a troll or a retard considering almost EVERY show, including ones that you like, can be trivialised as such.
>>
Its pretty much one of the only actually good shows to exist though
>>
It's a reddit show that /tv/ pretends to think is good.
>>
>no gun fights or car chases or le man who knocks means it's a soap opera

Maybe one day you'll grow up.
>>
>>64228062
I've never seen such a shitty contrarian opinion. It's nearly astonishing that someone post-pubescent can come up with these reasons to not like a TV show so you must not be. It's a good show. Not sopranos good. But good. Get your thumb out of your ass and go back to reddit.
>>
I too don't like shows without people shooting each other or things exploding every 5 minutes
>>
>>64230704
>le if you le dislike le this le show le that le means that you le only like le michael bay XDXDXD
>>
>>64231020
Not him but pretty much

what do you consider to be a good show
>>
>>64228196
.sex is fun

pleb detected
>>
It's called a "drama" OP. Not every show needs to have a sci-fi gimmick to be good.
>>
File: LockeDissapointed.jpg (40 KB, 483x464) Image search: [Google]
LockeDissapointed.jpg
40 KB, 483x464
>le

So we just letting this shit slide now?
>>
>>64228196
60s majority of people were much more prude than us newfag
>>
I don't watch the show but both sides are being immature children in this thread.
>>
File: Welcome.jpg (85 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
Welcome.jpg
85 KB, 960x600
>>64231497
>>
File: virginhuntteam.jpg (375 KB, 2200x1457) Image search: [Google]
virginhuntteam.jpg
375 KB, 2200x1457
>>64231248
>virgin alarm is off the charts

Better call the hunt-team before the next shooting.
>>
>>64228931

I made that thread. There was some fag who said breaking bad and game of thrones were better.

Honesty I like being able to screen out retards who rank BB better
>>
>>64230537
Nice ad hominem, faggot.
>>
>>64228062

OP haven't read the topic yet but you're right and I watched it until a few episodes in to season 3. It really is wank fodder for pseudointellectuals on the internet or a soap opera for unpretentious housewives.
>>
>>64231642
Nice ad hominem, faggot.
>>
>>64231846

I have an iq of 158 and I like mad men senpai ;)
>>
>>64231854
>>64231804
>references the same logical fallacy incorrectly twice in the same thread
Lol fuckin' tard.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>64232231
>references the same logical fallacy incorrectly
>>
Not enough action for you?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=yfeEReNKYlY
>>
>>64232258
>is proud to be a moron
>>
>>64228062
>Holy fuck, it's literally a glorified soap opera for men.
Fixed. And yes, that's literally what it is. They took a genre was that predominantly aimed at women, added a historical setting and a shitton of whiskey and cigarettes because DUDE OLDSCHOOL MANLINESS LMAO. It's a well produced TV equivalent of those pictures of dudes in fedoras with "boys have swag, men have class" caption.

Sorry you had to find out this way, but if you checked out any Mad Men threads on /tv/ instead of reddit someone would've told you.
>>
>>64228062
It Begins
>>
>>64232501
It's not even that. The show could've been improved if it ditched all the retarded female plots that no one gives a shit about.
>>
It's a great soap opera. I read a good write up on it that praises but also criticizes it.

http://cosmoetica.com/B1261-DES882.htm
>>
>>64228062
Do you think putting le in front of something makes it an argument?
Please be 15
>>
File: hasidic homeboy.jpg (62 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
hasidic homeboy.jpg
62 KB, 650x365
>>64232626
Hell, the womyn plots weren't the only retarded storylines.

Pic related was a shitty character who suddenly went nuts and cut his nipples and offered them to Peggy and was never heard from again.
>>
I swear people who think Mad Men and Don Draper glorify manliness and that that is the point of the show have only watched trailers or are very stupid.

And desu the first two seasons have a different feel than the rest of the series.
>>
HAHAHAH nice try

www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRDUFpsHus
>>
>>64228385
Mad Men is better than Breaking Bad.
>>
>>64234763
Not the same anon but nope. They're both average.
>>
>>64234763
It's objectively inferior to BrBa.
>>
>>64228062
lel I could have told you that, and I've never even seen the show. All you need to do is have a general idea of the plot and look at the audience. ie middle aged women
>>
>>64234937

nah, BrBa S5 was literal shit. if they stopped at 4 itd be arguable at least
>>
>>64233041
It's like people who watch Sopranos and think it is just a show about the mafia
>>
I made it about 6 eps in before giving it up as well. Boring show. Only good part was the set design.
>>
File: GORILLAZ018.jpg (30 KB, 384x291) Image search: [Google]
GORILLAZ018.jpg
30 KB, 384x291
>>64228385
troll harder faggit
>>
It's a show that makes 20something years old children from the upper-middle class feel smart and classy. A site filled with frustrated spoiled young adults who grew up to be selfish and underachieving will naturally eat it up
>>
>>64235742
It literally is a show about the mafia, you pseudo-intellectual piece of garbage.
>>
>>64232626
Peggy, Joan and Betty are some of the few recent female characters who are well-written and acted (alright, Jan Jones isn't amazing BUT Betty is very well-written).

Of course a show that covers social change in the 60s is going to partially be about gender. There are points where Mad Men isn't subtle at all about its stance on women BUT it can be very nuanced in different aspects of its take on gender (Peggy and Joan's rocky relationship, Pete and Lane's emasculation)
>>
>>64235915
Dead wrong. The "nostalgic" "classy" "comfyness" is just a facade. The people who say that don't understand the show at all. Mad Men is one of the most uncomfortable pieces of media ever made. It shines a harsh light on some of the darkest aspects of humanity that most people would rather be left hidden away.

The thing that people don't understand is that Mad Men's true genre is in fact "Horror".

There are episodes of Mad Men that are more heart stoppingly terrifying than any piece of horror cinema ever made. It's a deep fear, a real fear, an "American" fear. The type of fear that makes you want to tear off every inch of skin from your body and then throw salt on your wounds. I've felt this at least once in every season of Mad Men.
>>
>>64237095
If anybody wants to get a good look at the kind of fedora-tipping, pseudo intellectual hipster that represents the general Mad Men audience, look no further.
>>
>le I'm gonna baselessly criticize something with the 'le meme' meme
>>
>>64228166
>Nowadays, you have to watch 3 seasons of a show before you can decide it's shit

Fuck off. The show sucks. The End.

I shouldn't have to watch the whole fucking show, waste entire swathes of time, when i know i'm not liking what i'm seeing 6 episodes in.

That's like saying "You have to listen to the entire album this one song was in before you can say you don't like it!" or "You can't say this game is bad unless you play every level, get every unlockable, and download all the DLC.

I'm not retarded, and I'm not some sheeple trying to force myself to like something because it's the hot shit on campus rn, I think I can tell when a show is shit 6 episodes in.
>>
>>64236802
at surface level, sure, but there is so much more. It isn't even half about the mafia, you fucking knuckle dragging mouth breathing neanderthal
>>
>>64238108
You're some kind of angry retard. Great, you watched a couple episodes of Mad Men and didn't like it. Awesome. Don't know why you felt the need to blog about it, as anyone who actually likes Mad Men doesn't care about what you have to say because your a fool who got bored after three episodes.

But the only way to get a thread past 20 replies these days is to just shit post out loud and pretend to be retarded, so congratulations I guess
>>
>>64237643
Mad Men is anti-fedora. To oppose it is to be anti-art, pro-fedora and anti-intellectual. You are adolescent about television. You embrace the juvenile sensibilities of True Detective, The Shield, Breaking Bad, PTA and Tarantino flicks.
>>
>>64228414
>Mad Men is such a complete package that doesn't have the weak episodes Sopranos occasionally does
This sentence should be reversed. Mad Men is the show with the occasional weak episode, and Sopranos only has 5 tops episode I can think of that are bellow average
>>
>>64238340
well the question OP is asking is why do other people like it?
>>
>>64238627
He's not asking any question, he's saying fuck mad men and anyone who likes mad men. No answer he receives would be satisfactory, because he's already made up his mind that it's complete shit. He probably had already made up his mind before he even started watching. Any actual answer he did receive would be shitposted into oblivion under a tidal wave of

>muh reddit
>muh fedora
>muh soap opera
>muh don never reflected copypasta
>muh manchild
>muh pretentious pseudo-intellectiualism
>>
>>64232829

That's only because he wanted to leave and do other shows. He very clearly had a better arc set for him until he ruined it
>>
>It's a pleb thread
>>
File: file_118510_0_theleftoversart.jpg (200 KB, 640x948) Image search: [Google]
file_118510_0_theleftoversart.jpg
200 KB, 640x948
The true patrician show

This work of art is up there with the films of Bresson, Griffith, Akerman, Denis and Garrel
>>
You guys fell hard for a bait thread.
>>
>>64238962
>lindelof
>not trash

complete and utter garbage
>>
>>64238962
Adolescent garbage, reflecting the state of contemporary HBO.
>>
>>64238471
Yeah but their average is a lot lower. Typical Mad Men episode, especially once it hits its stride in S3, is Goat tier.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.