[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 480x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 480x200
What went wrong?
>>
>>64222976
T E L L
>>
>>64222976
George, unfiltered.
>>
Revenge of the Sith is better than The Force Awakens
>>
>>64222988
D A T
>>
>>64222976
George Lucas having freedom with no one to reign him in.
>>
George can't write dialogue very well. He also got lazy when it came to some things such as not making physical clone trooper armor, and making interesting shots for exposition scenes.

Less went wrong than the hivemind opinion would have you believe.
>>
Nothing? I and II are average and entertaining. III is damn good. To act like anything else is true would be dissin' genius.
>>
Ewan McGregor + a bad script

that's what
>>
>>64223260
>Look at me
>hey guys
>h-hey guys look
>I- look- I'm naming the actor who is commonly cited as the single best thing about the prequels as being one of the WORST things about the prequels
>look how unique and cool I am
>guys look
>please
>>
>>64223138
This. Finally, a well-reasoned and agreeable post.
>>
There are some cool moments, but really there biggest problem is they're downright boring and tedious to watch for at least half of the trilogy
>>
>>64223302
>commonly cited as the single best thing about the prequels
honestly didn't know people said that, he was awful though in ep 2&3
>>
>>64223149
>III is damn good.
lmao
>>
The best and worst things about the movies is that 90% of the movie is new material.
>>
>>64222976
Your taste. That's all
>>
George Lucas surrounded by yes men.
>>
>>64223149
>Nothing? I and II are average and entertaining.
lolno
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 500x480
There wasn't enough Sheev, honestly the movies should've just been about him.
>>
>>64222976
The visuals were awesome, but the script was The Asylum tier. I don`t care though, I absolutely loved them as a kid and still have fond memories about these flicks.
>>
>>64222976
Us. The memers. Using these movies as soapboxes to point out the obvious so we can feel smug and superior.
>>
Not much. They're not good movies but they're nowhere near as bad as people pretend they are. Weak minded people who don't know how to think for themselves just watched those shitty reviews and bought into it like the sheep they are.
>>
File: spookyskeleton.gif (320 KB, 215x194) Image search: [Google]
spookyskeleton.gif
320 KB, 215x194
Nothing went wrong, its just a meme that the prequels are bad, Look inside yourself, you know it to be true
>>
Maybe too much jar jar in 1, and Hayden seems a bit rapey in 2. 3 is the best SW movie though so it all balances out.
>>
terrible dialogue, terrible characters, dated as fuck cgi, jar jar, terrible plot. I honestly do t even remember half of what happens in the second and third movies
>>
>>64222976
Nothing, you were just memed.
>>
I seriously love episode 3 since the first time I've seen it, don't care much for ep 1/2
>>
>>64222976
they tried to make the story lines make sense with the OT so the timeline was rushed and all the loose ends got condensed into episode 3
>>
>>64225023
underage b&
>>
>>64225144
I'm 21, and no, it's not bait. Cry more
>>
>>64225144
Im 31 and 3 is fucking great. Get pt kiddo
>>
>>64223546

But they were

>implying you understand what george was going for
>>
Nothing. Same horrible shit as the prior three, just now without nostalgia goggles.
>>
Can someone explain to me why they went from having clones to picking up random people from planets? I never got that
>>
>>64222976
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56E3EB1DFD4B64A2

https://youtu.be/ABcXyZn9xjg
>>
>>64225253
Kamino told the empire to fuck off at one point and got killed off, clones rapid aging left them dead or old as fuck by the time of ANH
>>
>>64225345
>>>/reddit/
>>
1 was shit
2 was bretty good
3 was amazing
>>
>>64223008
this
>>
>>64222976
Bad Script + Bad (or lack of) direction
>>
>>64225438
>Attack of the Clones is better than The Phantom Menace
hellooooooo reddit
>>
Whats the best order to watch the movies if I saw the movies (not sure if some or all though) more then 10 years ago and just don't remember anything today?
>>
>>64225529
You obviously still remember the Vader-Luke twist so, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
>>
>>64225529
Numerical order
>>
Your average OT-purist:

>38 years old
>grossly overweight
>single, no prospects, no children
>dead-end job devoid of creative juices
>constantly reminisces about "muh sets", "muh film"

Your average TFA-kiddy:
>attention span of a goldfish
>subscribes to "I fucking love science"
>goes to community college for Oriental Studies
>8 reddit tabs always open in the browser
>has at least 3 vape pens

Your average Prequelbro:
>mid 20's
>well-adjusted, promising career ahead of them in professional study or engineering
>hobbies include writing, reading, sketching
>popular with the opposite sex
>agnostic/atheist with an IQ of at least 115
>>
>>64225550
>>64225567
Makes sense. Thanks m8s
>>
>>64225529

4 -> 5 -> 1-> 2-> 3-> 6
>>
>>64225600
To make things interesting you could try

1 is irreverent.
>>
>>64225737
>1 is irreverent.
hellllllooooooooo reddit!
>>
>>64222976
You could the prequels hve the highground x--D
>>
>>64225613
Is this the chronological sequence?
>>64225737
serious or just taking the piss?
>>
>>64225887

>Is this the chronological sequence?

it's the patrician order of viewing the movies.
>>
OT: 8/10
TFA: 6/10
PT: 2/10
>>
>>64225887
Certain things would be revealed in each film that would make the story interesting. They would play off each other rather well.
>>
>>64226060

i see reddit has decided to join us
>>
>>64225887
>Is this the chronological sequence?
It preserves the twist of Episode 5, then allows you to see the whole backstory in 1-3, followed by the conclusion. It's a pretty good order.

People who say Episode 1 is irrelevant are just bullshitters who don't understand why the prequel trilogy is good to begin with. Star Wars is a saga.
>>
I love how people like to put Revenge Of The Sith on a pedestal, it was just as bad as Phantom or Clones don't lie.
>>
>>64226099
Nothing of significance happens in I though. Literally the only thing would be that Anakin's mother couldn't come with him.
>>
>>64226115
All 6 movies are roughly equal in their flaws. 3 has less flaws over the other 5 though. Theres a reason is its the best of the series.
>>
The prequels are fine. Phantom menace is a good adventure movie, period. Only edgy try hards that like plinkett too much think they are worse than 5/10.

if you don't like the phantom menace then you just don't like star wars.
>>
Ever since TFA came out I've been re-evaluating the prequels myself and feel like I judged Lucas way too harshley. The worlds he created in Ep1-3 and Eps4-6 won't be replicated ever again.

Lucas didn't go for a safe movie with the prequels, he just went for what he wanted for the story and didn't care about reaction to it or critics. JJ obviously wants safe, sterile adventure flicks for reddit audience
>>
>>64222976
A better question would be: "What went right?"

In that case:

Casting for Obi-Wan
Duel of the Fates

That's it!
>>
>>64226136
>Sidious controlling the trade federation
>the revival of the sith
>Anakin being discovered by the Jedi
>the prophecy
>a dozen new characters being introduced
>all the poetry
yeah its totally insignificant hurr *shitposts* *upvotes some more*
>>
>>64225253
they still have clones in TFA, but it seems Finn's crew are a special bunch that were raised from birth

for whatever reason
>>
>>64226243

nigga, he rubber stamped 5 and 6.

if it weren't for the divine intervention of his ex-wife editing 4, none of this shit would exist.
>>
>>64225529
4 -> 5 -> 2 -> 3 -> 6

1 if you want the GOAT soundtrack, but story wise it doesn't matter
>>
>>64222976

Literally everything
>>
>>64226329
nice meme
>>
>>64222976
Lucas cared more about laughing at 4 headed giraffes or whatever he was forcing people to create with CGI than he did about writing more than one draft for each film
>>
>>64226334

Go fuck yourself retard, and learn to speak like an adult before you come back
>>
>>64226355
If your reply to "what went wrong" is "literally everything" then you deserve to be memed on

>learn to speak like an adult
xdd le literally everything went wrong amirite reddit?! XDD :))) pls upvote

GREAT post
>>
>>64226243
>New movie comes out
>Hey guys the old ones are complete genius now!

You are such a complete faggot
>>
>>64226301
>they still have clones in TFA

No they don't. No storm trooper was a clone.
>>
>>64226372

Literally retarded
>>
>>64226414
Figuratively reddit
>>
>>64226243
ANH: Tatooine is cool, Death Star is cool, Yavin IV is cool

ESB: Hoth is cool, Bespin is top tier, Dagobah is top tier

ROTJ: Tatooine is recycled but I guess explored more, then we get Dagobah and "U LIEK TEH DETH STAR?!" again, and then we get what is basically Yavin IV with Ewoks

TPM: Naboo is cool, Coruscant is alright, oh boy Tattooine again yawn
AotC: recycled planets and Geonosis, also a planet where it rains all the time how the fuck does it have non-fish natives
RotS: Mustafar is "ANAKIN IS A FALLEN ANGEL" cliche, that planet where Obi Wan kills Grievous is pretty cool

TFA: Jakkutooine, yawn. We even get the slavery thing again, just wage slavery. The ruins of a battle=pretty cool though
Hoth 2.0 but is a death star now
Generic grass planet is back

>lack of new locales/feel of exploration hasn't happened before meme
>>
>>64225204
>what George was going for
Millions and billions and trillions, amirite?
>>
>>64223366
...do you think Ewan is Hayden or something?
>>
>>64226403
so what happened to all the clones after 3? accelerated aging and death?
>>
>>64226607
Yes
>>
>>64226616
proofs?
>>
I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan so I was able to enjoy the prequels quite a bit, especially since I never viewed movies with a critical eye as a child. The political aspect to the prequels is interesting, and the setting was established in a pleasing way. Both of those things were noticeably absent from VII. I'm sure it'll be more fleshed out at some point, but there's really no excuse for the dearth of information in VII.
>the baddies are building another superweapon cuz they bad
>somehow there are at least six habitable planets in the same solar system
>the superweapon consumes a star to charge but somehow is in a solar system with a star the second time it charges
Maybe that one was explained (binary star system?), but I missed it if so.
>superweapon fires projectiles travelling slow af (on an interstellar level) but they somehow reach a (likely distant) solar system quickly
>no explanation regarding the "republic" other than it exists, they support the resistance, and they put about 0.0000000000001% of their resources into the military
I'm not going to list everything because I keep thinking of information gaps, but not much time was spent on establishing the setting.
>>
>>64226582
I don't like the prequels much, but this is unfair.
I think Lucas had the best intentions, and yes plot holes existed in the OT too, but the movies just feel like he prioritized poorly. They don't feel like a cash grab.

It just seems like he focused too much on CGI instead of atmosphere and story creation.
The result of this is "the phantom menace" is a nickname for our nonexistant protagonist.

They have huge flaws, but aren't the worst thing to happen to movies ever and aren't really a cash grab. They aren't even the worst thing that happened in the star wars universe if we include 100% of the EU in that discussion
>>
>>64226624
Finn says he never knew his real name because he was stolen from a planet so it's safe to assume that's what happens to all Storm Troopers
>>
>>64226703
isn't that just a hamfisted allusion to muh slavery n sheit?
>>
>>64226703
This.

Also Kylo Ren said "perhaps we /should/ use a clone army" in response to a stormtrooper (Finn) not being brainwashed very well. He faps to anything that could loosely be associated with Vader and probably thinks clones would be easier to control or something

so it's implied the First Order doesn't use clones, and all of the original stormtroopers who were clones would be dead at that point
>>
>>64226703
OT stormtroopers were volunteer. FO stormtroopers are stolen at birth, because thats way more evil. I'd love JJ to explain how all those child thefts went unnoticed by the republic. Do they have no intelligence agency at all?
>>
>>64226683
They were designed to sell toys and video games — with character designs that would translate easily into both fields. This is clear from the get go with battle droids being defeated then replaced by the more threatening destroyers — this pattern continues throughout the movies.

Then there's the major focus on podracing and the way in which we were presented 'not actual gameplay' scenes, footage you'd expect to see on a twitch stream.

Let's not forget the trashy animated spin off series, again a lazy direct route to more action figures and video game money grabbing.

George attempted to compensate for this by flooding the films with mishandled politics but if he really gave a shit about the story telling 1) the clone wars material wouldn't have been condemned to a spin off and 2) 'the phantom menace' Plageuis storyline might have had some recognisable impact on a wider audience.

Finally, why is Padme Portman in all 3 flicks and Anakin a kid in the first but a psycho hunk in the rest? Search within yourself for the answer.
>>
File: image.jpg (328 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328 KB, 1920x816
>>64222976
The plot dealing with he Queen's mission got glossed over pretty quickly once she reached Coruscant. Did she even mention Naboo to the Chancellor?
>>
File: image.jpg (211 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211 KB, 1920x816
>there will never be a Kenobi & Palpatine movie...
>>
>>64222976
Lucas is a lazy old nerd. That's what went wrong.
>>
>>64223008
Hello reddit
>>
>>64225144
3 is just as good as ESB.
>>
I was never into Star Wars. Phantom Menace is the only one I've seen more than twice because it came out when I was 9 and I had it on VHS and actually watched it quite a bit. I always skipped the boring trading/political talk so I could watch podracing and Darth Maul fight. Jar Jar made me cringe even as a child. I'm fairly sure the reason I never found Star Wars that interesting is because I was introduced to it with the prequels.

Imo the biggest problem with the prequels is the role and character Anakin was given. In A New Hope Obi says in a very heartfelt voice that 'he was a good friend', and you get the impression they were equals and that Anakin was known as a respected Jedi knight, not Obi's bratty apprentice. If I had watched the OT first, I would have expected Anakin to have been a full adult when he turned to the dark side, as we see his ghost projection in ROTJ and he's clearly not a young adult, but a fully grown man.(before Lucas changed it to fit the prequels of course)

How come everyone forgot about the Jedis and the force when the huge wars and fights in the prequels only take place some 18 years before ANH? Did EVERYONE who witnessed it die?
>>
>>64227663
It is though
>>
>>64223008
Redditor detected.
>>
>>64222976
The audience.
>>
>>64227557
Could be possible if they retcon the prequels. They could always say it's an alternate universe or some shit.
>>
>>64222976
Nothing. Compared to Star Wars CIS-Rebel-Scum and the latest abortion of a movie, as well as the Aftermath Novel, the future is not bright.
>>
It's easier to cite what they did right.

>Palpatine
>Obi
>Darth Maul fight
>Soundtrack
>Christopher Lee
>Meme dialog

Everything else is unpleasant and/or boring.
>>
File: image.png (689 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
689 KB, 1136x640
>>64225589
>Implying TFA-babbies aren't the fedoras
Hello Reddit.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 500x631) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 500x631
>>64228783
They could just set it between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Imagine a Kenobi movie dealing exclusively with the Clone Wars.
>>
nothing, they are great movies, not like that fucking TRASH episode 7 everyone's talking about in my class like fucking NORMIES

the prequels are SUPER UNDERRATED and GREAT MOVIES and I want reddit to fucking LEAVE

episode 3 is the best in the series, PERIOD. if you disagree you do not have patrician taste.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 200x201
>>64223260
>>
>>64222976
World-building
>>
>>64222976
It went full autistic, Star Trek TNG, before it hit the ground running.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.