[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else think that the movie was way too fast paced and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: starwarsnew.jpg (61 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
starwarsnew.jpg
61 KB, 800x450
Did anyone else think that the movie was way too fast paced and would have benefited greatly if it was done as a TV series? There were so many interesting things that could have been explored, characters developed over the course of a few sentences.
>>
>>64221280
It's JJ directing, he thinks the audience will get bored if there isnt an explosion every five minutes
>>
The crammed too much plot into one movie, same problem as a new hope. But this film is even worse.
>>
>>64221280

Maybe if it wasn't non stop action and we had time for the characters to talk to each other.

This movie tried to go over board and it didn't even feel like star wars.
>>
I liked the fast pace. I think the next one will better develop the new characters because I think they will reduce the nostalgia factor with all the old references
>>
>>64221313
I always had a hard time paying attention to movies but man, this movie gave me ADD.
>>
>>64221313
There's a solid 2 minute mind battle scene without a single line of dialogue. It's not about "muh explosions"
>>
>>64221280
it would have benefited greatly if it was done as a movie
>>
File: starwars.webm (3 MB, 1000x426) Image search: [Google]
starwars.webm
3 MB, 1000x426
Okay so its not just me. This movie was such a 5/10. I left the theater so unsatisfied, It would have been the same experience if I had just wikipedia'd the movie's plot.
Then I see i getting such good rating and even the redletter guys are lapping it up. What the fuck.
>>
File: 1397420057628.gif (65 KB, 262x199) Image search: [Google]
1397420057628.gif
65 KB, 262x199
>>64221409
>that webm
>>
>>64221403
A lot of character development happening in that two minutes, glad JJ set some time for kylo and rey to just stare at eachother in the most dragged on scene in the movie
>>
>>64221313
But the entire time at Maz Kanada's cantina was pretty calm.
>>
>>64221486
>it's too breathless
>it dragged on
Fuck off, it was a great scene that had the balls to take its time. And there's plenty of character development throughout, particularly with Finn at Maz's palace.
>>
The fast pace was alright, it makes the movie feel shorter than it is, but yeah, it would have nice to have more contemplative moments like the Kylo scene with Vader's helmet
>>
>>64221542
Finn's character development was very cliche
>i dont want to do thing
>bye
>oh no my friend in trouble
>looks like i will do thing
So forced, I knew where it was going, very predictable like the whole movie
>>
>>64221280
The main area where I thought the pacing was a problem was the Starkiller. There just wasn't enough time devoted to establishing it as an intimidating presence. Sure you see it blow up those planets, but that really just comes out of nowhere.

The Death Star was ominous and menacing because it WAS the central focus of the first movie. The jedi and force stuff was really just a side plot in comparison. In The Force Awakens, the jedi stuff has the primary focus and the Starkiller is the token threat, which feels inappropriate for something that can kill billions of people in an instant.
>>
>>64221709
You can be that reductionist about any arc.
>Hamlet
>don't want to do thing
>finally decide to do thing
>get punished for it
How it's done is what matters, and I thought Finn was handled very well
>>
>>64221280
The movie is a 2 hour trailer.
>>
>>64221709
Man when they first showed finn in his stormtrooper outfit looking upset that his buddy died I got so excited cause I thought they were finally going to show the average stormtrooper's perspective. But they didn't. So much fucking potential wasted. Then that later scene where the trooper captains calls him out as a traitor and duels him, that scene could have had so much emotional investment but it couldn't because the fucking film was so rushed. Overall they should have at least cut a few events in order to make the remaining events more meaningful. Like when a film adaptation of a book is made, you have to cut some shit out. Feels like the script was just "this happens then this happens then this happens" with no forethought about the characters.
>>
i miss chewie r2 and 3p0s deep character development.
>>
I didn't get that so much.

Maybe it would have helped a little if they got to spend more time on the Resistance base or in Maz's castle. The novelization describes a scene where Rey gets drunk in the cantina and some guy tries to take her back to Jakku but Chewie rips his arm off. Including that scene might have worked.

IMO everything up until they left Jakku was pure gold.
>>
>>64221945
>where's muh exposition and backstory
watch tv instead
>>
>>64221313

let's let michael bay direct episode 9
>>
>>64221343
>I think they will reduce the nostalgia factor with all the old references

Lol nah. The next movie is literally going to be a rehash of ESB. Luke's training sessions with Rey will mirror that of his training with Yoda. Skellig Michael is basically Dagobah. Luke might even quote Yoda.

In the meantime Poe, Finn & BB-8 will be off doing their own adventure just like Han, Leia & C3PO did while they were flying the Falcoln.

Disney is playing it safe. Star Wars is dead.
>>
>>64221323
>>64221280
you fuckers obviously have never watched the original star wars, it's just as fast paced once they get off tatooine
>>
File: file.png (500 KB, 543x709) Image search: [Google]
file.png
500 KB, 543x709
if john boyega has a kid he should name it ham
>>
File: uncletom.jpg (35 KB, 600x282) Image search: [Google]
uncletom.jpg
35 KB, 600x282
>>64222150
It is hard to find the original starwars. Lucas tainted them all.
>>
I just got back from the movie:

Felt way too fast paced and I found myself wishing the action would stop for a second. Like nothing really seemed to develop, it was one thing after another and every scene had closure. Its almost likr it shouldve been 2 movies... After the first 20 minutes it hit me that I dont really like Star Wars that much, lol. Shits kind of corny
>>
>>64222133
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-8-is-going-to-be-weird-promises-screenwriter-a6788031.html
>>
>>64221945
> I thought they were finally going to show the average stormtrooper's perspective.

What? How was his perspective not the average storm trooper's? I mean it was only in the beginning, but how long did you expect them to do it? I feel like a lot of people in this thread think star wars is more than light-hearted space fantasy, and it's always been aimed at wide audiences.
>>
>>64222150
>The crammed too much plot into one movie, same problem as a new hope
>same problem as a new hope
>same problem as a new hope
>a new hope
>"you fuckers obviously have never watched the original star wars"
>>
Just finished watching this shit.

Maz was fucking awful, I at least felt jar jar binks was a good actor, and that it was the character at fault.

Also all the CGI aliens in the cantina didn't feel congruous with the star wars designs. I watched the original trilogy last week and they had a very specific aesthetic.
>>
It definitely felt ridiculously fast for a 2+ hour film to me.

Especially compared to the original trilogy and how meticulous and drawn-out a lot of shots and scenes were. Space scenes for example in general.

Younglings probably wouldn't be able to take that shit these days though.
>>
>>64222263
>its totally not going to be another rehash guys we swear. its really gonna be a new episode this time.
>>
>>64222263
Why am I dreading it's going to be time travel shit
>>
>>64222376
>It's totally going to be what I claim it is going to be, even though I haven't worked on the movie!!!
>>
>>64222307
If Finn is the average stormtrooper then half of all stormtrooper would defect. They mary sued him for convenience and made every other storm trooper and evil nazi soldier.

>live in poverty
>empire gives you hope by letting you join the armed forces
>spend years training
>go on missions in the outer rim of the empire
>fight in foreign lands against uncivilized slavers and criminals
>bring order to the galaxy

Finn is a fucking traitor and should be hanged.
>>
>>64222441
weird
>hurr durr it totally wont be the mystical yoda scene rehash uheuheuh
>>
File: absolutely-magical.jpg (68 KB, 615x497) Image search: [Google]
absolutely-magical.jpg
68 KB, 615x497
>unironically suggesting that a new episode of Star Wars should have been a TV series
>>
>>64222465
>mary sued him

That's why he's completely incompetent in everything?

Please learn what the fuck you're saying before you speak, all you did is devalue language. REY is a Mary Sue, not Finn.
>>
It's not like ANH is not fast paced once they gwt away from Tatooine. But I think JJ could have waisted like 5 seconds more for that scene at the beginning where Finn holds his dying comrade (would it have been too much to let him remove his cask to make Finn watch a perfect clone of himself dying?), or for developing a little TR-8R during his duel, or again to make Phasma a barely tolerable character. The thing that deluded me the most is that we have a Trooper as a protagonist but we basically forget it after 5 minutes instead of exploring their point of view.
>>
>>64221280
The pace was fine for a Star Wars movie trying to be more like the OT.
>>
>>64222474
lol
>>
>>64222548
His character is flawless, he has unrealistic morality for his situation, and he is unlikable, that makes him a mary sue.
>>
>>64222644
>Flawless
>Spends half the movie getting his ass kicked, is always the one being saved, never the one doing the saving
>Mary Sue

Here, go wild.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mary+sue
>>
>>64222572
except the OT pace was way slower and more effective at getting us to care about the characters
>>
>>64222872
Flawless CHARACTER anon.
>>
>>64221280
been saying this. it was 2 movies crammed into 1 movie for logistical reasons. most of the popular critiques actually would be nullified if they just took their time, but that meant there would have been 2 movies of POETRY.
>>
File: letting the bait go by.jpg (116 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
letting the bait go by.jpg
116 KB, 500x500
>>64222572
>>
>>64222263

4% on rotten tomatoes incoming

prequels will look shakespearean in comparison
>>
It's JJ's attempt to cover up his shitty writing
>>
>>64221280
Movies are actually a lot better when they don't spoon-feed you information but give you glimpses and let you figure out the rest. It's simply a better writing technique and even action movies can benefit, see Mad Max: Fury Road for an example.

If you want something else go watch Star Trek. Star Wars is about something else than
>MUH WORLDBUILDING
>>
>>64223632
Mad max was utter shit though
>>
>>64223711
go be contrarian somewhere else kid
>>
>>64223738
>muh no plot, shit dialogue, car chase movie
>>
File: 1446725409559.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1446725409559.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>64223758
>cant appreciate visual storytelling in a fucking motion picture
>>
I rewatched A New Hope today and it's pacing is a little too fast as well.

The most glaring pacing problems with IV were the deaths of Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen and the death of Obi Wan. They gave no time for the moment to sink in to give it depth.
>>
>>64221280
It was fast paced because it had no exposition, which at a glance seems like a bad thing.

Then you realize it doesnt need exposition because its a remake, and exposition would make you realize exactly how devoid of creativity it is.

So no, it wasnt too fast paced.
>>
>>64221854
Hit the nail on the head here.
Consider that their master plan to destroy it (perhaps the most important mission in galactic history) was formed by four people spouting ideas for 20 seconds around a table and then rushing into action.
The Death Star was a much smaller threat than the Starkiller and yet there seemed to be ten times the care and effort put into destroying it versus "well let's just trust this guy we met ten minutes ago to get an entire planet's shields down and then maybe if we hit this thing a few times with no cover or bombers it'll blow up"
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (24 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
24 KB, 1280x720
>>64221854
There was more of a focus on the devastation and destructive force of the Starkiller in TFA than there was for the Death Star in ANH. In TFA we see the reaction of the people on the planet as they are being destroyed. In ANH a laser hits Alderaan and it just blows up like someone hit a pinata and we see it happen for all of two seconds.
>>
>>64224826
We see people we don't know on a planet we don't know getting destroyed
In ANH we had Leia's reaction and even Obi Wan sensing the tragedy
>>
>>64221280
>characters developed over the course of a few sentences
kek
>>
>>64222236
Search for the "despecialized edition" fan-cuts by Harmy.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.