[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Rey isn't a Mary Sue!" >malnourished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: starwars_1868031b.jpg (163 KB, 629x387) Image search: [Google]
starwars_1868031b.jpg
163 KB, 629x387
>"Rey isn't a Mary Sue!"

>malnourished scavenger fights off two men twice her size
>fumbles at first, then suddenly outmaneuvers 2 TIE fighters while flying through a scrapyard and though the inside of a ship
>master mechanic that can quickly identify problems with ships she's never flown on
>full on force vision from touching a lightsaber, hears Obiwan speaking
>never used a gun before, fumbles at first, then suddenly starts dropping storm troopers left and right
>Trained Sith Apprentice mind read barely works on her, then reads his mind in return
>Jedi mind trick on guard out of nowhere
>Trained force user Kylo Ren has trouble pulling lightsaber towards him, but it rockets towards Rey from 40 meters
>100 pound woman bests trained swordsman

A New Hope

>Luke saved by Obiwan from tusken raiders and bar thugs
>needs transport to Alderaan, asks pilot Han Solo
>Luke's elite squadron of X-wings picked off one by one by TIE fighters
>Vader almost blows him up, saved at the last second by Han
>Novice in the powers of The Force, can barely hear Obiwan speaking to him
>trained for years until Luke could use the Jedi mind trick
>has to focus his thoughts to grab his lightsaber from 2 meters away
>>
Oh my god who fucking cares
>>
>>64218588
hey reddit
>>
> tfw no jedi gf
just wrap me tight in barbed wire and throw me down 100 flights of stairs already ;_;
>>
>>64218636

Sup 9gag
>>
>>64218562
Why is it so hard to believe she's an incredibly powerful user of the force and probably learned a lot about what can be done with the force when she read Kylo's mind?
>>
>>64218853
because that's dumb and inconsistent with every star wars movie prior
>>
Oh look it's this thread again.
>>
>>64218883

So, exactly like the prequels?
>>
File: 1338160209697.jpg (22 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
1338160209697.jpg
22 KB, 400x309
>>64218853

>she read Kylo's mind

If that actually happened that is the biggest travesty in the fucking movie

on another plane of shoehorned fucktardry
>>
>>64219046
no, the bullshit you said about mind reading and becoming masterfully skilled from mind reading is inconsistent with all 6 movies
>>
>>64219077
She did read his mind enough to learn the name Darth Vader and be able to tell how badly Kylo Ren wants to live up to him.
>>
>>64219077
It did, she also asks Kylo to take off his mask and he does? That should have waited until Han Solo confronted him

Movie really takes a dive after the interrogation scene
>>
>>64219078
You don't think that all of the force ghosts she heard in her vision are helping her out.
>>
>>64219113

well, I forgot about that tidbit

I'll add that to my laundry list of instant Mary Sue powers

>not only resisting the mind reading of a powerful and trained Force user in your first experience fighting it, but also turning the tables and reading his mind instead

I hate this movie more by the day
>>
>>64218853
That is such an asspull... and this is coming from a prequel apologist.
>>
>>64218853

The bigger problem is that she makes all the other characters feel less important.

>Aside from forgetting to remove the safety once, she hit every shot when she fired her blaster, makeing her an equal or better shot than Finn. So now Finn's stormtrooper training feels less special.

>She flies the Millennium Falcon with amazing competence despite never having flown it before. Isn't Poe supposed to be the "Greatest Pilot Ever" of this franchise?

>Most annoyingly of all, she knows more about the Falcon's innards than HAN SOLO AND CHEWBACCA.

The fact that she outsabers and out-forces Kylo Ren is just icing on the cake. She makes every other character seem less useful, less unique, and less important.
>>
File: 1444529305445s.jpg (2 KB, 125x108) Image search: [Google]
1444529305445s.jpg
2 KB, 125x108
Ok
>Rey beat muh Kylo with no training
Kylo was at the time:
>Nursing a direct hit from a blaster that had been blowing up stormtroopers the whole film
>Coming to terms with the fact that he just murdered his own father
>Realizing that he may have made the wrong choice, as he never got Han to hate him
>Therefore in emotional turmoil and unable to use the force as fluently as he could before
>Not even trying to kill her for 90% of the fight
>Injured by a fluke from Finn

>B-but nothing goes wrong for her!1!
In the movie, she:
>Deals with severe denial and attachment issues
>Runs away from her problems until the climax, where she finally accepts the Force due to advice from Maz Kayoda
>Almost gets her friends killed on multiple occasions
>Gets captured by Kylo easily
She literally does like 3 helpful things in the movie. Advising Han on parts of the Falcon that had been added while it was at the junkyard that he had no knowledge of, flying the falcon (absymally, scraping it along the ground and only making it past the TIEs because of Finn's bullseyes) and beating Kylo, who was going through everything stated above AND was taken by surprise after several minutes of avoiding killing her/ Trying to get her to join him.
>>
>>64219372

Did any of the protagonists miss a shot when they fired something?
>>
>>64219372
She didn't hit every shot did you even watch the movie tardnugget
>>
>>64219679
>All these excuses
I bet you try to find excuses for the fact that your waifu is sleeping with big black bulls right now you faggot.
>>
>>64218636
Hey virgin
>>
>>64219748
>Can't think of a real response to valid points
B-but you're a c-cuck and my dad could beat your dad!
>>
>>64219686
Han missed a few I think
>>
>>64218562

Rey isn't just a Mary Sue. She's a god like Mary Sue who is superior to every character in the entire Star Wars universe.

It's absurd.
>>
She's a Mary Sue by every fucking definition of the word.

The thing however:

It doesn't make her bad. Which is the thing that the people getting super pissy about it are being retarded about. Yeah, her learning the force by osmosis and going SSJ at the end took me out of the movie a bit but I still LIKE Rey- she's got good chemistry with other characters.

It's just that after using "Mary Sue" and the "Strong Female Character Chart" to shit on every semi-strong female character they didn't think was perfect- the whiners found their own "female power fantasy" character in a WILDLY successful movie and have now painted themselves into a corner because they're emotionally invested in saying she's not a Sue.

Thus, they twist themselves into knots because they refuse to apply their previous bullshit logic to themselves instead of just owning and it being like, "Yeah, she's a Sue. Don't care I like her."
>>
>>64219814
>valid response to "what if" tier excuses
Nah son, nah, sit the fuck down
>>
>>64218883
except for when Anakin destroyed a trade federation droid control ship that was heavily fortified and protected, having never flown before and was only 9 years old.
>>
>>64219855
Faggot.
>>
>>64219855
>'What if' tier excuses
>All but spelled out for you in the film
would you rather watch Rey walk-and-talk over a CGI background explaining everything that has happened in her life and who she is as a person
>>
>>64218853
Siths Skills != Jedi Skills
SJWfag.
>>
>>64219891

that's played off as an accident and a terrible part of that movie's plot
>>
>>64219907
Homo
>>64219912
>All but spelled out in your imagination
FTFY*
Homo
>>
>>64219912

Maybe she could explain how getting dropped into the middle of a harsh desert planet at 6 translated into her becoming an expert technician, pilot, melee artist, and how she was so sensitive to the Force that she could pick up on powers all on her own just by thinking about them

You know what, a little bit of explanation for that may have helped
>>
File: 1328277380915.png (80 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1328277380915.png
80 KB, 255x255
I just watched the movie today and found it to be a good watch, except for this bitch.

Honestly, if she just had ONE FLAW it wouldn't have bugged me. Like if she never got out of her restraints and Han+Finn had to save her from that room/chair. But nope. She's too perfect.

>>64219841
I thought she herself was rather boring. What is her motivation for finding Luke? She's lonely? bit weak
>>
>>64219679
Get captured by Kylo easily, next 30 minutes defeat Kylo without any sense.
Fuck logic.
>>
File: kid-crying.jpg (224 KB, 1536x1023) Image search: [Google]
kid-crying.jpg
224 KB, 1536x1023
>>64219939
>N-no it's your imagination
>F-faggot cuck
Literally you
>>
I don't remember any lines spoken from Rey truly bland, except when she said something about Finn not holding her hand cuz she a strong wimmin who dont need no man
>>
>>64219976
There's no reason to find luke, she can defeat the complete empire because she is the main female character of the movie.
>>
>>64220001
>Gets called out on making "what if" tier arguments
>Cries
>People tell him he's acting like a cuck fag
>He continues crying whilst yelling "no u"
>>
>>64218562
I think she's cute :)
All jokes aside, the first six star wars movies sucked donkey dick. So what if there's a Mary Sue in the seventh one?
>>
>>64219984
Did you watch the 30 minutes in between those two events or are you just shitposting on a guatemalan ivory rock because you're a faggot contrarian
>>
>>64219841
>It doesn't make her bad
yes it does. good characters have flaws and rey is a flawless robotic demigod who's only personality trait is "incredible at everything."

it's just fucking boring to watch
>>
>>64220033
>'What if' tier arguments
You keep saying this, please point out where those arguments were made
>>
>>64220053

Oh yeah, forgot, she had to close her eyes a few times to train herself how to do all that other Force stuff first, needed a bit of a breather

the Force is a heavy sleeper, needs some time to get out of bed after it awakens
>>
>>64220097
(le)terally this
>>
>>64220053
>Insults
>No real arguments
>Common neo starwarsfag
>>
>>64220118
Yes because Kylo on Takodanandgadana was at exactly the same powerlevel as Kylo in the woods
>>
>>64218562
>malnourished scavenger fights off two men twice her size
we dont know shes malnourished, but yes fighting 2 opponents for a normal person is not good odds, but she is a force user
>never used a gun before
we dont know that
>trained sith apprentice mind powers barely work on her
we dont know hes been trained at all, he could have learned on his own, he seemed not so good at most things
>jedi mind tricks out of nowhere
again, we dont know what rey has done for the past 18 years, she could be a full on jedi whose lying. obiwan lied to luke about a lot of shit
>trained force user pulling lightsabre
again we dont know that kylo has training, and we dont know that rey has not had training
>100 pound woman bests trained swordsman
we dont know kylo has had any training
>>
File: BlackKnight.jpg (64 KB, 641x513) Image search: [Google]
BlackKnight.jpg
64 KB, 641x513
>>64219679
That's good and all, but even with his injuries, there ain't no way in hell Rey could
>pull off a Jedi mind trick hours after learning about the Force, Jedi, old Empire...
>beat a guy, though wounded, has been training for years with a lightsaber
Quit being such a fag and deal with the fact that this movie was SJW propaganda.
>>
Luke
>m-muh power converters
>fucking droids
>look at this hot peice of ass leia muh dick
>i wanna be the very best
>where yoda at i wanna be strong
>proceeds to develop into mature, strong jedi with the help of yoda, obi-wan and friends

Rey
>im good at everything dont hold my hand though silly boys

Bravo JJ
>>
>>64220062

Remember that this is a trilogy being done in the modern way where everything is half-revealed and character arcs aren't totally complete because they KNOW they're gonna make 2 more of these at a bare minimum and they'll all make a shitzillion dollars.

Granted, this is also a trap for the people who whine about people calling her a Mary Sue.

Like, what do you think those same people will say if the second movie follows Empire's script and is more downbeat? Like what if Rey gets the fucking shit kicked out of her by a trained Kylo Ren and loses her hand (IT'S LIKE POETRY, Herrrpkmg)?

You think they'll say, "Well see! She's not a Sue!"

They'll probably flip out because she WASN'T a Sue in the second movie if that happened. They'll say they "ruined her character".
>>
>>64220097
>Luky doesn't allow you to talk technically about something.
>She only know that Jedis was legend but she know force skills.
That's lucky? no.
>>
File: 1231823272543.png (165 KB, 399x312) Image search: [Google]
1231823272543.png
165 KB, 399x312
What was Kylo Ren doing when Rey closed her eyes in the middle of a sword fight?
>>
>>64220153

He was punching his wound for kicks obviously

he was beating Rey handily in the first bit for kicks as well obviously
>>
Mary sue characters are harder to relate to.
hey should had made her more vulnerable, instead we got an Arnold Schwarzenegger tier flawless hero with almost no danger.

Also notice how she never got her ass kicked in the entire film? EVERYONE got their shit kicked in, EXCEPT her.

Chewie got shot
Finn got the worst treatment Tbh
Poe got captured and mind fucked
Han died
Phasma got trash canned
Kylo got shot, got mind fucked by Rey and lost his hand and got a huge scar across his face.

Rey got emotional scare from touching a light saber
>>
>>64220166
Rey
>im good at everything dont hold my hand though silly boys
>I want black cock inside me
You forgot this
>>
>>64220157
>agnosticfags
Can be but you don't know.
She can be an ant but we don't know.
She never has sex with a dog but we don't know
>>
>>64220196
Yes he literally said 'You need a teacher' after winning the first fight, because he wanted to teach a corpse
>>
>>64220189
Probably feeling the force 'awaken' within her and in awe of it.
>>
>>64220184
Is it really that much of a stretch to:
>have heard of jedi which she clearly has
>heard of the things they can do
>realize she could resist kylo's usage of the force
>later tries to force her will on danielcraigtrooper
>successful but only on the third attempt
3 attempts is hardly luck
>>
>>64220238

so he let her kick his ass after

how kind
>>
>>64220097
>There's more to it than that. You've got a lot to learn
Few scenes later she learns how to use the gun without any prior experience or training from Han solo, under pressure and about to be shot she suddenly figures out how to use the gun and not only uses it but is a perfect marksman.
>>
File: 1375938032736.jpg (1020 KB, 1000x1042) Image search: [Google]
1375938032736.jpg
1020 KB, 1000x1042
>>64220250
>>
>>64220167
>everything is half-revealed and character arcs aren't totally complete
yeah except they didn't reveal fucking anything. if TFA was a precedent it would take 200 more movies before rey had any emotional depth.

I understand what you're saying but TFA failed to instill in me one iota of interest in seeing the sequel because it was fucking boring as shit and I hated all the characters.
>>
>>64220273
>perfect marksman
>missing every 2nd or third shot
you're reaching so hard you might as well jack me off while you're at it
>>
>>64220157
>a force user
Yeah, but Mary Sue- I mean Rey was written to have mastered skills in a matter of hours. Shit writing and development
>we don't know she has never used a blaster before
If my memory serves me right, she forgets to switch off the safety. Real experienced, right?
>he could have learned on his own
Alright by now I don't believe you've seen it. Kylo was trained by Luke and then went to the Dark Side and trained under Snoke, but is not completely trained
>Obi-Wan lied to Luke
Lied, but never pulled Jedi mind tricks. Rey has been scavenging trash for her whole life.
>training
Kylo was trained by Luke, ain't no way in hell Rey has training. She remembers being left on Jakku when she was like 6 or 7. Not a lot of time to learn to fight with a lightsaber or use the Force
>Kylo's training
You didn't see the movie. So why are you commenting on this thread?
>>
File: 1362283133148.jpg (159 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1362283133148.jpg
159 KB, 500x500
>>64219679
>>Deals with severe denial and attachment issues

That never have any consequence on the film whatsoever. So its a redundant point.

>>Runs away from her problems until the climax, where she finally accepts the Force due to advice from Maz Kayoda
See above.

>>Almost gets her friends killed on multiple occasions

Now if they HAD died (as a consequence of the two points above) - theres a serious fuckup on her end which would have shown those flaws are serious ones. But everyone succeeds, the First Order DOESNT get the map. Starkiller Base is destroyed - Nobody dies aside from Han and he dies only because he chose to approach his son (Which he stated he'd do anyways).

>>Gets captured by Kylo easily
Only to resist him and break out easily. She won that scene - if you legitimately think Kylo won that scene then there's no hope for you.
>>
>>64218588
those with brains do
>>
>>64220268
>Everything that has happened to Kylo in the last hour
>He was still beating her into the ground until she started actually using the Force
Yes he's powerful but he's not powerful enough to take down a raging high-tier force-sensitive with no code or restrictions on her power
>>
>>64218562
go back to /pol/

all women are perfect and all-powerful

fucking bigots get out of here
>>
>>64220316
you're full of shit, she missed the first few (without getting shot by anybody else by the way because she was open the whole time) and then was able to shoot everybody else perfectly, it doesn't matter if she missed because she was laying on the trigger and she wasn't in any real danger anyway
>>
>>64220316
>missing every 2nd or third shot
But still hitting, which makes her a better shot than every trained stormtrooper who fight for a living.
>>
>>64220341

Yes yes, we get it, she can learn and do absolutely anything possible whenever she feels like it
>>
>>64220405
See >>64220379
>>
>>64218562
Yeah, they fucked up big time and that's all there is to say about it.
>>
>>64220365
>perfect marksman
>it doesn't matter if she missed
then your point doesn't matter either
>>
Your problem is "if it isn't in the dialog or a big explosion it didn't happen". There are other ways to depict things in film. You're actually making baseless claims by saying things like "she's had no training in flying" when they never explicitly said she hasn't and she's clearly able to fly.

The same goes for her use of the force. She's deposited on a desert planet under mysterious circumstances by someone she thinks must be her parents. Could be that she's been made to think that all along to protect her identity as a padowan at the Academy.

It is canon fact that she's been using a flight simulator and sneaking onto the Millennium Falcon for a long time. It's only a matter of time before we find out that she was indeed trained by someone, if not Luke.
>>
>>64220379

>both are untrained

Kylo has been trained for a while and clearly knows how to wield a saber, pause a fucking blaster bolt in mid-air, and read minds you dolt
>>
>>64220273
She hits two Stormtroopers standing still, then misses every single shot. She's not good with the gun at all. Again, she relies too much on luck.
>>
>>64220316
She misses every second or third shot with a pistol while stormtroopers who have been trained from birth with rifles miss every single shot.
>>
>>64219147
I think he couldn't resist showing his face to a cute woman. That's the only explanation I could think of. I think he clearly fancies her as well because he was very gentle with her during the interrogation. He could have physically torture her to get the information after mind reading failed but he didn't.
>>
>>64220478
Stormies tend to be portrayed as having awful shots though.
Finn being the exception just because he's a protag. If this is an issue, then it should have been an issue with OT movies too, but it's not because /tv/ only wants to cherry pick shit to shit on TFA with
>>
>>64219891
>>64219933
He hit some important shit by accident from the inside, and we already know he was the best podracer around.
>>
File: 1352579323652.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1352579323652.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
>>64220429
>>64220379

I'll recap what she knows how to do, and what we know of her story:

A 6 year old or so girl is dropped off on an inhospitable desert planet and inexplicably learns how to

>become an expert technician
>become a great pilot
>become a great melee fighter

all while fending to fucking survive and eat and get by

afterward

>she's better than Han at driving the Falcon and shows him tips how to fix his own fucking ship
>she picks up on shooting easily
>she learns Force tricks all on her own by conceptualizing them
>she resists a trained dark side force user's attempts to read her mind (something Luke couldn't manage in RoTJ even, with training) then turns the tables and reads HIS mind
>she beats the only formidable villain at his own game the first time she picks up a saber at the end

You are now going to try to nitpick one or two of these points even though you know when, given all of them in the context of one fucking Star Wars episode, we have ourselves a prime old big fat Mary Sue extraordinaire lacking any sort of substantiation or credence

oh, also

>instantly befriended by Chewie
>somehow gets Han Solo, notoriously prideful and mistrusting of people, to be her biggest fan a day after meeting and giving her a fucking job offer
>somehow earns the instant trust of Leia and the Resistance AND THEY GIVE HER THE TASK OF FINDING LUKE

I

WANT

OFF

THIS

WILD

RIDE
>>
File: black-stormtrooper.jpg (110 KB, 1164x654) Image search: [Google]
black-stormtrooper.jpg
110 KB, 1164x654
pic related is just as much a sterile Disney stock "le generic goofy male lead" character as Rey, he just doesn't get as much hate because he isn't depicted as pretty much the single most powerful warrior in the galaxy straight out of the womb like Rey is.

Just saying fuck this movie generally.
>>
>>64219679
errr given how the dark side works... wouldn't him being in extreme pain and turmoil just make him stronger?
>>
File: 1308554129975.jpg (156 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1308554129975.jpg
156 KB, 720x720
>Kylo is untrained
>movie literally says he was Luke's apprentice and then Snoooky says he will complete his training
>>
>>64220550
>he blew up the ship by accident, as the protag
that's probably worse than simply being a mary sue and doing it on purpose, even though I'm fine with Rey's mary sue status
>>
>>64220574
>somehow gets Han Solo, notoriously prideful and mistrusting of people, to be her biggest fan a day after meeting and giving her a fucking job offer
I forgot about this. Probably the most cringe-inducingly obvious Mary Sue moment.
>>
>>64219767
You didn't answer his question.

He asked, what's up, reddit?
>>
>>64218562
>bests trained swordsman*

*who had been shot, sliced, had just killed his father, watched the entirety of the plan snook his other father figure loved him for, and explicitly said he was going easy on her to train her
>>
>>64220574
>Knows the Falcon and fixes it better than Han
Oh gee that might have something to do with the fact that Han hasn't been in possession of his ship for some long, yet to be determined amount of time while she's likely see it now and again for a while
She even says that the ship hasn't flown in a long ass time.
Are you goddamn retarded?
>>
>>64218588
people who don't brainlessly consume every piece of media in front of them?
>>
File: 1345250878818.jpg (91 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
1345250878818.jpg
91 KB, 717x960
>>64220620

>Waow Rey, ur so talented, here u know uh, im kinda ur biggest fan, want to join me and chewie even though ive only ever shown myself to be incredibly headstrong and unwilling to work with almost anyone other than chewie in smuggling??
>>
>>64220584
Yes. But he's shitty, uncertain, and unfocused/unrefined. Denoted by the fact that he asked Darth Vader's mask to show him the power of the dark side.
>>
>>64220645

>le nitpick man

You win this one my friend!

Even though there is nothing to say that she would have any interest in the old ass Falcon anyway as she doesn't even want to drive it to escape the planet!

But no, of course, she knows how the whole incredibly complex system works when it's operational, of course from tinkering around a bit here or there

not Han and his ship of 40+ years
>>
>>64220620
his one child is an evil sith
shes obviously a surrogate and he was overcompensating
>>
File: 4.gif (442 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
4.gif
442 KB, 640x480
>>64220364
>>
>>64218853
She shouldnt have been able to read his fucking mind in the first place with no training.
>>
>>64220705
>ship of 40+ years
Yeah because that'll give you clairvoyance and know precisely what was changed where.
He no doubt would have figured it out, all she did was point it out sooner for him. It was literally just that motivator thing yo're going on about which was like one thing
>>
>>64220645
>what she clearly describes as a junker that would never fly
>oh I'm sure she just breaks onto some dudes salvage yard to take unguided tours and familiarize herself with the inner workings of said unflyable junker

If you're going to try and defend it at least don't go full retard.
>>
>>64220743
why not

luke had absolutely no training besides lightsaber blocking and telepathically controlled a missile going god knows how fast into a tiny hole
>>
File: 1353949791810.jpg (21 KB, 476x359) Image search: [Google]
1353949791810.jpg
21 KB, 476x359
>>64220777

And why did they include that? Why?

among all of the other shit they went out of their way to show her doing?

one upping Han on his own damn ship?
>>
>>64220726
yes ha ha those bigots are crying because they know THEY WILL NEVER BE AS PERFECT AND POWERFUL as this GIRL!

bigots: 0 us: infinity
>>
The Daughter of Luke and another powerful Jedi?
fuck if Schmee was impregnated by a force ghost or some shit I am sure Rey being the offspring of two jedi would easily make her pure breed jedi more powerful than Ben Solo, Anakin Skywalker and anyone else after the Prequels...
>>
>>64220584
The dark side is about focusing your rage and shit. The extreme turmoil here is that he wants to be a good guy and feels emo.jpg about being a bad dude, he's kind of forcing himself to be darkside edgy goth teenager.
>>64220574
I mean I guess you asked me to go through all of those so
First of all, we don't know shit about where she actually came from, she could be a jedi padawan for all we know after all this is the first movie in a trilogy they have to bait you for the sequel
>Expert technician
She knows where shit is on Imperial vessels that she's been scavenging for like 15 years. She knows about the shit on the Falcon because the only things she talks about are the ones Unkar Pegg or whatever added while she was around.
>Great pilot
Her skill in the Falcon was admittedly a little iffy, but she -was- crashing all over the place, and only escaped the TIEs because Finn shot them up
>Great melee fighter
No shit, she's fending to survive in the Middle East with a stick
>Better than Han
No she's not, where is this implied
>Tips to fix his own ship
Only the parts that Unkar added which Han couldn't possibly know about
>Force tricks all on her own
Yeah this was kinda bullshit tbqh family
>Resists a trained dark side force user
>Trained dark side force user
Literally the only training we know Kylo recieved was in the field of Light side stuff from Luke.
>Beats only formidable villain with saber etc etc
I've been over this like 14 times, Kylo got shot up, Rey was being toyed with for 90% of it, she used the force and shit
>>
>>64220820

false equivalency, for the love of God stop doing this

Luke's one main skill was target shooting and he came through on it at the end of a series of misfortunes often due to him
>>
>>64220782
You know, fair point.

Shitty argument on my part but i'm told in the novelization she goes in that junker pretty often.
>>
>>64220841
she didn't one up him, he still had to fly it
she just knew how ships worked from scrapping them, so she scrapped out a malfunctioning piece
>>
>>64219156

>guys it's so obvious she's not OP to the point of being a badly written pandering character, all you have to do is make up a load of shit to justify why this might be the case
>>
>>64220820
Luke was an excellent pilot on tatooine. He'd been flying his entire life.
>>
>>64220332
This. Rey should not have been able to use the force better than Ren. Also shows why the mindwipe theory is bullshit.
>>
>>64220841
Because >>64220898
Probably something they decided not to film. Movie was already over 2 hours long
>>
Rey is the women empowerment trope in full force in Hollywood right now. It's really fucking annoying
>>
>>64219679
>coming to terms with murdering his father.
If anything that should fuel him to great feats as a dark side user and beside he had come to terms with it,when he decided to kill Han that was the point of the sun disappearing and the red light washing over his face.
>>
>>64220934
you better get used to it or fuck off back to /pol/

girls are BAD ASS

Star Wars 7 is AWSOME!
>>
>>64220883

If I showed you a motherboard of a non-working computer right now, and you didn't know anything of it prior, do you think you could tell me how everything worked and how to fix it when it was operating? What wouldn't be working? All from looking at it and tearing some parts off and selling them to live?

What is guaranteed about her learning how to fight well just because she's in a dangerous situation? 99.99% of time a kid with a stick is going to get BTFO in a harsh desert.

>she used the force and shit

That is correct, the entire premise of this story, and why it's terrible

shitty justification and conjecture is not going to make me think it's a good movie, even if it half-assedly explains some holes, at the end of the day their character is still a peerless learner at everything
>>
>>64220709
yeah I mean whatever, it's just mary sue characters are supposed to be a fantasy surrogate for the author, with all the established canon characters awing over how cool and badass they are (because it's just the author projecting). So that moment of han asking rey if she wanted a job was so nail-on-the-head Mary Sue it was rediculous, as well as pretty fucking out of character for han solo. I mean you can defend it as "he wanted an adoptive kid because kylo" or "he did it because he was drunk" or literally anything, it just reads as a textbook mary sue moment.
>>
>>64220916
Mindwipe theory has never been valid. Training you can't remember is just as useful as training you never had.
>>
>>64220968
This i cant wait for rey to save the day in episode 8, luke gets beat by kylo and snoke and then barges in and kicks their dark asses rey ftw go women in cinema
>>
File: 1446773957178.jpg (110 KB, 532x500) Image search: [Google]
1446773957178.jpg
110 KB, 532x500
>>64220943
Yeah, that's exactly what Kylo was expecting would happen. But instead, Han touched his face and was still fatherly, causing Kylo to regret his decision and feel confused about the way killing his dad made him feel.
Tbh he's not a real Sith he's an emo tryhard Vader fanboy
>>
>>64220820
Luke could bullseye romprats in his T16 back home. They werent more than 2 meters wide. He also had ghost Ben and Han helping him.
>>
>>64220782
She said she's been in it in the movie.
>>
>>64221032
ah yes he used to shoot rats with a calculator had a ghost helping

much better than force awakens truly
>>
>>64220900

>she knew how ships worked from scrapping them

Why.

What about this would teach you the incredibly advanced technology behind the machines when they are operational? To her they are a bunch of lifeless shapes interconnected in a complex web of circuits and hardware.

Shoddy reasoning aside, the fact that she picks up on everything is still there and she is still a Mary Sue. She has no flaws and has nowhere to go, I don't have any expectations for her.
>>
>>64221019
If that were the case he would've left in turmoil, nstead he tracks down Rey and Finn, no fucks were given.
>>
>>64220850
if a girl is like Rey then she hasn't be called girl she is called Mary Sue.
I'm the same guy who post the picture.
>>
>>64218588
i spot the woman
>>
>>64220968
Not all girls are badd ass fuckhed
Rey is a decent character with good weapon handling as shown with her staff she is a prodigy with that thing
>>64220943
I'm betting he will kill Leia in the next movie to bring him closer to the dark Anakin never had to kill his parents.
>>
>>64219740
She missed ONCE, and that was her very first shot. After that, every time.
>>
>>64221001
Like I said, the only things she helped Han with were the parts Unkar had added. And if you had 15 years of literally nothing to do but examine junk spaceships and eat, are you telling me you wouldn't look around the ships and teach yourself about them?
>she used the force and shit
Same premise as literally every Star Wars movie
>>
>>64221072
This. Being a mechanic doesn't mean you can actually operate what you're working on.
>>
>>64221128
nope, watch the movie
she misses more than any other character in the movie

i was lucky enough to read this bullshit before i went and kept a mental list

>inb4 wow i cant believe you figured out I was wrong! autism!
>>
File: T16skyhopper_negvv.jpg (406 KB, 1028x1300) Image search: [Google]
T16skyhopper_negvv.jpg
406 KB, 1028x1300
>>64221060
It established already that he was a good pilot you dingus. And the entire time he was with Ben, Luke was learning about the force. He didnt just use it because he learned about it 20 minutes ago.
>>
>female
>protagonist

nothing more has to be said
>>
>>64221060
>much better than force awakens truly
well you got that part right
>>
>>64221137

The only ones we saw. As has been pointed out, with limited screentime, our fair production staff felt it necessary to show her "teaching" Han how to fix his own fucking ship. Why?

And that wasn't the only thing she did. In the heat of the moment on Han's frigate, she tears a circuit apart and figures out how to perfectly close a door to save Finn. In about 30 seconds or so of screen time.

Explain that? Yeah, she's just a NATURAL.
>>
>>64221138

I wouldn't even call her a mechanic. Tearing old shit apart to sell for junk money, the only thing you're going to learn is what "X item" typically goes for. You will have absolutely no concept of how everything works as a system and in operation.
>>
File: rr.png (930 KB, 1080x1078) Image search: [Google]
rr.png
930 KB, 1080x1078
Mhmmmmmmm
>>
>>64221207
She knows how to close the blast door (which is what she was trying to do when she released the tentacle anus boulders), she was just waiting for the right time to close it
>>
>>64221245
This ^
>>
>>64221019
Regret, sadness and ill feelings are still dark side feeling, this would feed his dark side power.
>>
>guys she's just using the force, she's good at everything because she's got the force, it's the force forcing forces

han_saying_thats_not_how_the_force_works.webm
>>
File: 1344468226977.gif (2 MB, 349x248) Image search: [Google]
1344468226977.gif
2 MB, 349x248
>mfw every time I get into a Mary Sue argument with Rey dickriders I remember more and more individual bits of the movie where she inexplicably comes through or accomplishes something on her own like a divine talent, or another plot point that is clearly Mary Sue-ish

you're only making me stronger you shits
>>
>>64221125
>Not all girls are badd ass fuckhed

back to /pol/ you fucking bigot

stay jelly that girls are stronger than you, wimp

stong female characters are AWESOME
>>
>>64221328
Also the fuck faggots that say its all "luck," it's not luck it's shoddy writing of a character
>>
>>64221296

>she knows how to close a blast door

Correction, she knew how to locate the blast door circuit panel and THEN she knew how to manipulate them

Some more shit she picked up on when tinkering about in the desert?

Who knew tinkering could make you so operator
>>
Rey's role got used right cause no one but my liberal friends are onboard about it. Thankfully, there's equal sane nerd friends who think Rey was horribly too good at everything.
>>
>>64221328
This.
Get into arguments about this shit with two of my friends.
>but shes strong in the force
>shes lukes kid
Fucking hell that doesnt mean she can randomly do a mind trick.
>>
>>64221442
>Fucking hell that doesnt mean she can randomly do a mind trick.

Luke was Anakins (space jesus) kid and he needed tons of training before being able to use the force for anything. Even if Rey is Lukes daughter there's no reason for her to be a stronger force user than Luke.
>>
>>64221442
Whats even worse is that Luke is anakin "the chosen one" skywalker's son and luke had a hard time developing powers of the force despite his dad being literally made by the will of the force
>>
File: goten trunks.jpg (46 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
goten trunks.jpg
46 KB, 480x360
>>64221556
Reminds me of something
>>
>>64221522
Devils advocate here. Leia had zero force training and could hear Luke call out and also felt hand death.
It's not much of a step to do a reversal. But she shouldn't be stronger than Luke, of course she has had training thou because she was at the Jedi temple as seen in the flash back.
>>
>>64220896
>master pilots cant hit a target
>a literal computer made for targeting cant hit a target
>since luke shot some rats when he was a farmer he can

lol
>>
>>64221637
Who's that? Don't watch kid's cartoons.
>>
>>64221522
>>64221556
This is the exact shit I say, but it falls on retard ears. I can kind of get on board with the perfect mechanic/pilot/blaster stuff, but the fact that she used the force better than a trained dark jedi is fucking stupid.
>>
>>64220667
So go consume some better media instead jesus fuck
>>
>>64221650
If she can't remember the training then the training means absolutely nothing.
>>
>>64219841
>It doesn't make her bad.

Not necessarily, but in this case it does I think. All the supporting characters are pretty useless and the bad guy is essentially rendered completely non-threatening. I'd say that's some lax storytelling personally. It's not a terrible movie but I'm amazed how everyone seems to be raving about it.
>>
>>64221657

*since Luke voraciously practiced target shooting over the course of his child and teenagehood and got to the point where he was bullseyeing small animals with a fucking ship he was the man for the job when it came to sending some rockets into the Death Star's vents

Yes, there is a clear and notable line right there

also after Obi Wan had taught him how to clear his thoughts and use the Force to help

after Luke had been largely useless for most the movie prior
>>
File: mary sue.png (134 KB, 525x966) Image search: [Google]
mary sue.png
134 KB, 525x966
Why is there so much outrage in the media about this?
>>
>>64221650
At the same time Leia cant use advanced physical or mental force techniques like mind trick or telekinesis. Im ok with her being able to sense Luke, that seems like it would be more instinctual. Im also ok with Rey sensing Lukes lightsaber in TFA.
>>
>>64221718

Especially when you DON'T give the trilogy as a whole partial consideration.

ANH, hell, even TPM, are exciting standalone movies with character development and roles.

For ANH, you can rewatch it on its own and enjoy it in its entirety for its highs, lows, and Luke's success through adversity in finally finding his way and winning against all odds.

TFA won't be remembered for much on its own. Its basically a rehash, with an uninspired antagonist, generic Empire facsimile, a girl who can do everything, and everyone else kind of bumbling around her. She beats the uninspired faggot at the end then leaves, the end.

This isn't going to be a movie people pick off of their shelves in 5 years and think "I want to see this again" for the 4th or 5th time. It is all hype right now.
>>
>>64221780
I could be wrong here, but i almost feel like the lightsaber was calling out to her
>>
>>64221353
back to tumblr you fuckin newfag
>>
>>64221685
But the force awakened
>>
>>64221779

Criticizing a female character is only allowed if you're a woman/feminist/SJW.

Stalwart Star Wars fans have no business protesting this fanfic insert.
>>
>>64221779

People are rightfully complain about some fanfiction-tier character and the media is claiming it's about gender.
>>
>>64221857
>falling this hard for bait this obvious
>>
>>64221676
>I can kind of get on board with the perfect mechanic/pilot/blaster stuff, but the fact that she used the force better than a trained dark jedi is fucking stupid.
I'm the opposite. I have no problem with her being better with the force. It's meant to symbolize the light being stronger imo, not to mention goes with the title of the fucking movie. It's how she's perfect fighter, mechanic, pilot, hans new BFF,etc that makes me sick
>>
>>64219841
I agree entirely with your post except she's not a Mary Sue. She literally cannot be by the definition of the word.

Call her boring, flat, one-dimensional, over-powered, exceptionally competent, poorly developed, etc. There are dozens of ways to critique this character without resorting to co-opting another word and twisting the definition beyond recognition. It only serves to muddy the waters and dilute the discussion to pointless debate over semantics. People only latched onto it because the word has traditionally negative connotations and lends itself very well to sensationalism, especially given the hype surrounding this movie.

And yes, the feminists seriously responding to these cries of Mary Sue are just as bad as the morons peddling it in the first place.
>>
File: 1356984250137.gif (2 MB, 390x260) Image search: [Google]
1356984250137.gif
2 MB, 390x260
>>64221853

which has nothing to do with Star Wars

and is now crossing over into Harry Potter

ugh

no way to clean this mess
>>
>>64221853
That works too because it's not a technique that can be learned. Purely has to so with connection to the force and possibly family relations.
>>
>>64221353
Fail troll is fail
>>
Rey didnt have to be a mary sue, see leia, a great strong female main character that has flaws
>>
>>64221718
But Rey had very little to do with the main plot of the movie. She just found BB-8 and went along for the ride, much to her initial chagrin. Her confrontation with Kylo has no bearing on the search for Luke or the destruction of Starkiller base.
>>
>>64221779
the vox article literally has a 4chan post in it
>>
>>64221966
Is that post meant to be sarcastic?
>>
>nerds this mad that a character with a mysterious background is mysterious in certain ways
>>
>>64221909
Idk. I can see how shes a good mechanic and shit because she grew up fucking around in star destroyers. I just dont like how easily she did the force stuff when it took all the other jedi time and practice to learn those techniques. But we can agree that shes not a great character.
>>
>>64222001
>mysterious background
>ditched on Jakku when 7 and grew up scavenging
Pick one senpai
>>
>>64220451
>You're actually making baseless claims by saying things like "she's had no training in flying" when they never explicitly said she hasn't and she's clearly able to fly

Actually they explicitly say that she knows a lot about ships and knows how to fly but has never left the atmosphere.
>>
>>64222051
you sure got it m8
>>
>>64221005
>it just reads as a textbook mary sue moment

To me it read as an older, wiser Han not making the mistake of underestimating Rey like he did Luke all those years ago (who, need I remind you, he also offered a place on his ship after busting out the princess).

That was character growth for Han, not a mary sue moment for Rey.
>>
>Had to defend herself all her life, climb and dismantle large ships, had to know what parts were what so she could get food, didn't have an aunt and uncle who would allow her to just fuck off to Tosche station for power converters whenever she wanted
>She has a heavily implied history with Ren, which means she was around Luke's new Jedis at some point
>Is extremely gifted in the force, most likely a Skywalker, hinted again at Ren already knowing who she is
>Again, Ren didn't want to kill her. He wasn't trying to kill her. He was holding back, while also being wounded, while also being burdened by killing his father
>>
>>64222069
In the guide book they explain this. Rey spent her offtime in a flight simulator. That coupled with the fact she takes apart all kinds of ships just to survive shuts down this argument.
>>
>>64222118

>older, wiser Han
>after we had clearly been told that Han went completely off the deep end after RoTJ ended, he had a messy divorce, lost all faith in himself, and went full keel back to his old ways

They cannot get one fucking thing right with their story

is it one way or the other

it was incredibly Mary Sue, it's like if some dumb little kid was writing themself into the universe getting loved by everyone: Leia, Chewie, instantly adored by Finn, BB8, and on top of everything Han Solo entrusting her with being his fucking 3rd mate after one day. What a fucking joke.
>>
>>64222203

She takes apart ships to survive.

She doesn't need to study them. There is no impetus.
>>
>>64222203
Yeah she also have a force simulator she can play around with?
>>
>>64222208
...you do realize Han's arc in this movie was getting involved again after running away, right?
>>
HEY MORONS they are just building up to the big reveal that there will be in episode 8. Rey is probably one of Luke's ex pupils who has had her memory wiped.
>>
>>64222230
pretty sure she needs to know what parts do what/are more valuable
>>
>>64222251

Getting involved != suddenly and inexplicably becoming a trusting softie who adulates on upstart kiddies who come into his spaceship and start bossing him around on it

Quite the stretch there friendo

Leave your brain at the door tho right
>>
>>64222146
>>64222259
Flashback shows her getting dropped ff at Jakku whe shes 7 or 8. Did she become a Jedi as a fucking toddler?
>>
>>64222291

>what parts do what

no

>are more valuable

yes

I think this where STEMfags and non-STEMfags separate in terms of logic

these are not the same things
>>
>>64222259
How does she utilize all of her "past training" if her memory was wiped? Or is her memory getting wiped completely unrelated to her being perfect at literally everything?
>>
>>64220316
You're full of shit m8y.

Did a frame-by-frame on this,
she misses a shot while fiddling with the safety, then kills 3 stormtroopers with the next 3 shots, one of which was insanely far away for an unsighted pistol. Then she fights kylo, during which she gets 6 shots deflected by him, 3 misses, and 3 only show her firing without his reaction.
>>
>>64222243
Mind trick scene was stupid fanservice. I'm not excusing it, I'm agreeing with the general complaint about it. Her Force aptitude was otherwise mild at best. She pulls a lightsaber to her and gets an asspull power boost to beat the weakened Kylo so he can get some development in the next movie. That's pretty standard stuff, especially for her family.

Hardly what I'd call mastery of the Force. It's not like she was lifting x-wings right off the bat.
>>
>>64222321
That was clearly a false memory the Force put there.
>>
>>64222377
Pretty convoluted senpai
>>
>>64219372
Lmao because obviously she is more powerful and important than everyone else, including Kylo. You've just proven you're another cuck or butthurt virgin who can't imagine that a female could be the hero of your little fantasy world
>>
>>64222303
It's made pretty clear Han knows or suspects more about her than he's letting on. There's nothing conflicting here, regardless of your obsession with the internal logic of the film.

>start bossing him around on it

So are we just making stuff up now or what? The only thing she knew more about were the damn mods the fat alien installed.
>>
>>64222335
kekerino
>>
>>64222401
Not really.
>>
>>64222352
you cant wipe the force
>>
what move did she use when kylo had her at the cliff edge? and she said "the force..."

did she use force speed to move behind him or something? i missed it
>>
>>64222476
Training you can't specifically remember is useless. Though we are talking about a poorly written childrens movie.
>>
>>64222429

>It's made very clear
>It's pretty likely
>well it should be obvious

no, no and no. This is all you guys do, just "well use ur imaginashun and assume something" about inexplicable ability or action A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. It defies all previously established characterization of Han Solo and comes off as cheap and retarded attempts at "integrating" Miss Mary Sue into the greater Star Wars universe by having one of their beloved characters formally suck her dick and give her his blessing right before he goes off to die.
>>
>>64219372
Poe isn't force sensitive though.

>>64222519
Musle memory desu senpai
>>
>>64222510
No she was just getting her ass whooped but when she channeled the force she beat kylo
>>
>>64222560
so she just overpowered him at that moment? i was wondering how she got out of that situation
>>
>>64222555
>Musle memory desu senpai

Grasping at straws.
>>
>>64222448
How could she spend her entire life scavenging if she spent most of her life training to be a Jedi? Cant live two lives at the same time senpai. What would the people at Jakku say if she brought up her childhood? Uhh you were brought here like 3 years ago.
Mindwipe theory is dumb.
>>
>>64221839
ANH was not made with a trilogy in mind. That's why it works as a standalone movie.
>>
File: CSWhxs4W0AAZ7cC[1].jpg (25 KB, 473x441) Image search: [Google]
CSWhxs4W0AAZ7cC[1].jpg
25 KB, 473x441
>>64222555
>>
>>64222596
Yeah
>>
>>64222534
Nah, you're just an idiot who can't into visual storytelling, resorting to labeling anything you don't like or don't understand as objectively bad because you said so. Your capacity for any level of discussion beyond "hurr durr ah hated it" appears to be sorely lacking.
>>
>>64222596
By becoming one with the force or something. A thing that all jedi could do after hearing about the force 2 hours ago. Requires no training or practice.
>>
>>64222613
The people at Jakku work for the republic, that's why the first order attacked them, read betwee the lines.
>>
>>64222560
>>64222596
>>64222629
>>64222697

you motherfuckers are wrong if you watch it again you will she that she somehow moved really quickly behind him
>>
>>64219077
you realize that reading minds with the force has been in this shit since the originals, right?

Vader figures out that Leia is his daughter just by being near Luke.
>>
Hunger games was better than this shitty SW reboot
>>
>>64220578
I'm mad he doesn't really have much going on for him. They should have made him a force user and Rey a fantastic pilot and mechanic and left it at that. Hopefully they at least make Finn's arch that he becomes a leader figure for the rebels. Also why the fuck is there not enough Po?
>>
guys who do we think that old man on jakku was? the one that gave the map to poe?

kylo ren and him had a really familiar conversation, almost like he was a family member or something
>>
>>64222765
obi wan
>>
>palp hesitates in killing his defeated opponent, wants to convert him
>leads to his death
>obiwan hesitates in killing his defeated opponent, doesn't want to live with actually doing it
>leads to a reign of terror for years because vader actually survives as a result
>on naboo, Qui-Gon is dying on the ground and ObiWan could easily just be force pushed down the well
>Maul stands and gloats for like 30 seconds, giving ObiWan time to think and notice a plan, leading to his death

skip ahead a few years....
>kylo hesitates in killing his weak opponent because he wants to convert her
>as a result, she lives and finds luke and will probably get trained now
JUST LEARN FROM HISTORY
HAVE THE ADVANTAGE IN A FIGHT?
FUCKING STAB THEM
DAMN
>>
>>64222647

Yeah man, that's it. I don't have your advanced ability to overlook the myriad of plot contradictions and inconsistencies that accompany this one character as she inexplicably does everything well and perfect across the galaxy and picks up every skill possible largely on her own.

>>64222731

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. Luke had a ton of training with the mental part of the Force and STILL couldn't resist Vader. This dumb bitch did it just because she felt like it.
>>
>>64222765
Are you serious? That was Obi-Wan Kenobi. You know, the guy Ben was named after?
>>
>malnourished
Do you mean undernourished?
>>
>>64222795
>it's a contradiction
>it's an inconsistency
>because I said so

Yawn.
>>
>>64220883
>only escaped the ties because finn shot them up

Are you a genuine retard? Do you not remember how during the last quarter of the scene, finns gun didn't work, and she had to pull a super advanced pilot maneuver to line up the shot herself? At that point, she could have done it, all she needed was a button on the control panel that shot the gun and finn would have been entirely irrelevant.

The true travesty of the scene was that, since it lends the viewer to believe she could have done that at any point, which makes the viewer wonder why the fuck finn is even in the movie, since he doesn't add anything that superstar Ray doesn't do already, and better.

most of your other pints are bullshit too, but I'll be damned if I have to make a long form post.
>>
>>64222799
didn't obiwan get kill by Darth mall?
>>
>>64222818

No, because I've actually watched the previous 6 movies innumerable times you casual tit.

It's like I'm not even watching the same people anymore.
>>
>>64222716
This is bait but fuck it. Were you dropped as a kid or some shit?
>>
>>64222857
Star Wars is the first movie I remember seeing, faggot.
>>
>watching Star Wars
>arguing something explainable with MUH FORCE

It's a fucking series about space wizards, they can do the fuck they want without any explaination. It's not like Star Wars is science fiction, you know
>>
>>64222555
&Yes he is
>>
File: Saitama_OK.jpg (29 KB, 375x305) Image search: [Google]
Saitama_OK.jpg
29 KB, 375x305
>>64218562
It's obvious that Rey is either Revan or a clone of Luke/Anakin. Even then Anakin won a race against experienced adult aliens despite being sabotaged and destroyed a trade federation droid control ship after flying a naboo fighter he was never once trained to use when he was still just a little boy.
Luke blew up the Death Star when he was just a punk ass teenager by force controlling speeding projectiles all the way to the core and in just a few years went from pre-padawan status to Jedi Knight tier all while training in his late teens when Jedi normally start as toddlers.
But oh no, now that some bitch started manipulating the force without training, only getting strange visions and shit that never happened to any other Jedi just by touching a fucking lightsaber, who knew what parts to scavenge from star destroyers, from living on her own without getting raped, suddenly she's a mary sue.
>>
>>64222899

And yet here you are, defending the fact that they trashed Han Solo's character up and down and threw him under the bus so that they could have Rey take center stage as the new great Mary Sue

she is Kathleen Kennedy's little fantasy child and they fucked over an entire universe of characterizations in order to ensure she won center stage and did everything perfect by everyone
>>
>>64222790
>>64222765
>>64222799
You guys are tards.

Lor San Tekka per casting list.
>>
>>64222947

this

nerds are mad as fuck
>>
>>64222947
Revan, Anakin, and Luke are all men.
>>
bb8 is a mary sue desu
>>
>>64222963
But they didn't do any of those things. You're just making a bunch of shit up. Han acted exactly as I expected him to and I've already outlined why it's not a contradiction in spite of your binary notions about what constitutes backsliding character development. Not that you understood any of that, of course.

Call her hypercompetent if you want but the plot of the movie wasn't even about her and she had virtually no bearing on the climax of said plot. She's not a Mary Sue.
>>
>>64222947
>I dont know what clones are the post
>>
>>64222947
Even if she was Revan, after Revan was mind wiped he lost all his force powers until he got training again. Did you even play thje game? I had to mod it so I didn't get forced to multiclass with the scoundrel or Soldier. And the same thing applies to anakin/luke, even if she is a clone, the people she was cloned from still needed training before they could do anything more than what they had talent in. Anakin was always an amazing pilot/mechanic. That's it. He coujldn't barehanded fight before trained, he couldn't shoot a blaster before trained, hell even his pilot scene was shown to be far more luck than skill, something completely different than how Rey piloting the falcon was presented.
>>
Yeah, OP, we know. Who cares?
>>
Rey could be another anakin, her mum knocked up by the powers of the force and then ditches her ass because plot
>>
>>64218562
I don;t really buy into the whole "Rey is a mary-sue" argument. sh'es only good at two things, really: spacecraft repair/maintenance (which she's practiced over a lifetime of identifying and removing valuable parts in workable condition from spacecraft wrecks) and the force (probably because she's luke's daughter, as is heavily implied in the movie.)

she can fly the millenium falcon well? probably because of the force. just like anakin in podracers and luke shooting womprats. all of the force tricks she does, she picks up by copying Kylo Ren. arguably the only reason she beat Kylo Ren in their fight was because he was gutshot by a fucking bowcaster shell.

nothing is inconsistent with the established logic of the previous films and known circumstances of this one.

OP is a fag.

nothing else to report.
>>
>>64223040
This. Literally every other Jedi had to train and practice to learn how to use force techniques. Rey being able to do them after hearing about them 2 hours ago is just because is fucking stupid.
>>
>>64222947
anakin is said to be the chosen one therefore his achievement with the force make sense.
Luke was in current training with Obiwan when he did his things.
Nigger did you even watch the other films?
>>
>>64223036

Han derides everyone he meets off the bat in the OT. He trusts essentially no one until he's gotten to know them. Even then, he hardly lets on any form of adulation and keeps it to himself. He's a prideful, bullheaded guy, even if he warms up to Luke and Leia and becomes loyal to them. Chewie is his only point of reliance.

Then this random fucking scavenger shows up with his ship, causes a bunch of ruckus, teaches him how to fix his vehicle, and he responds practically hat in hand asking her to join him and acting like she's a godsend one in a million rare talent that he just can't pass up, after all of his experience in the galaxy?

Really?

You're willingly delusional my friend. If only I could be as willingly ignorant and bury everything I know about Han Solo's character for the sake of progressing Disney's Rey.

Not even regarding Chewie treating her like a fucking bud, Leia acting like she's her new daughter after an hour or so of interaction, and then sending her off on the incredibly critical mission of finding Luke.

No, surely it is I who is being blind and nonsensical.
>>
>>64218853
I find it more believable and likely she, who was gushing pussy juice about Luke, Han, and all their mythological exploits just attempted to do things she heard force users could do, and it worked.
At the end of the movie its highly implied Rylo isn't even that adept himself.
I also have my own theory that have the shit she was doing only worked because Anakin is guiding her through all of this to get her to come to Luke.
Anakin, and as bullshit as it is, was so strong in the force we could do that after death astral projection thing with out being trained. He protected her while helping her fly the falcon, a feat she states "I don't know how I did it!" guided her to his light saber, planted the idea of not being good as vader in her head rather than her reading it herself, actually was the one that manipulated the trooper to let her out, and at the end when Rylo was trying to pull his saber ir didn't work because he was resisting him
>>
>>64223108
b-b-b-b-b-but shes lukes daughter and he trained her as a toddler!!!!
it doesnt matter at all that she doesnt remember the training or the fact that luke is her dad!!!!!
>>
>>64223076
Great shot with a weapon she'd never used
Great in melee combat
Great with a saber
Can mind control without training or hand movements that all previous jedi needed
Better mechanic than chewie/han
Know how to operate the doors via fuse overrides on a ship she had never been on

Those are just some easy ones off the top of my head, the list just goes on and on. Can you name a single time she failed at something? Surprised she didn't just force-teleport into snoke's chambers and force-kill him.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.