[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most suspenseful movie you've ever seen,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Hans_Landa's_Calabash_pipe[1].jpg (870 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
Hans_Landa's_Calabash_pipe[1].jpg
870 KB, 1920x800
What's the most suspenseful movie you've ever seen, /tv/?

Pic somewhat related.
>>
Final 10 minutes of Dog Day Afternoon
>>
File: straw_dogs.jpg (358 KB, 1874x1064) Image search: [Google]
straw_dogs.jpg
358 KB, 1874x1064
>>64216123
Can't hear bagpipes or British people the same again.
>>
>>64216123
Gravity
>>
deliverance
>>
>>64216309
when that fucker gets bow and arrowed I was so pumped.
>>
That fight scene from Saving Private Ryan with Upham slowly moving up the stairs
>>
File: avatar-final-battle[1].jpg (61 KB, 600x299) Image search: [Google]
61 KB, 600x299
Not going to score me any patrician points, but the sequence following the arrival of Pandora's wildlife zergrushing the humans, followed by Jake blowing up the shuttle then trying for the gunship, then falling and having to use the leaf trick, then Quarritch getting to the AMP suit and barely surviving are about as high-suspense as action gets. the whole battle sequence just keeps topping itself.
>>
>>64216466
I don't even register suspense in action films, you know the good guys are going to pull it off. At worst, you'll get a hindrance or hiccup in plans, but you know they're going to come out on top somehow. Genuinely asking, how movies have final action packed, high-octane, crazy sequences that fail and all was for naught--The End?
>>
>>64216631
>*action-packed
I'm picky about my hyphens.
>>
>>64216358
The knife fight gets me every time.
>>
>>64216631
George Lucas made three such films
>>
memes aside, the departed t b h f a m
>>
Children of Men. The woods attacks, leaving the Fishes' ranch, fleeing Micheal Caine's place, their processing into Bexhill and long single shot as it goes to shit.
>>
>>64216869
it has the best timed main title in any movie I've seen.
>>
>>64216631
it's all about hiding how the heroes will win.

the problem with your attitude is you're acting like a down-ending is more creative just because it's not as common. actually it's just a simple inversion.

whether an ending, good or bad, actually works for audiences is more about whether the result feels earned.
>>
File: wagesposter.jpg (227 KB, 800x1163) Image search: [Google]
wagesposter.jpg
227 KB, 800x1163
The Wages of fucking Fear
>>
>>64216724
lmao
>>
>>64216990
>it's all about hiding how the heroes will win
Who fucking cares? You know they win, that's all that matters. You can call it a simplistic viewpoint on the issue, but when it comes down to it, that's a major component in strengthening the suspense--whether the plan will work or not, and it's always missing.

I don't think a BAD END is necessarily better or more creative, it's just, with the severe lack of them, I never get on the edge of my seat about anything. I just get hype from action sequences, and that's the appeal of any action flick with me. I never wonder whether the good guy will stop the bomb in time, kill the bad guy, or rescue the loved one.

>whether an ending, good or bad, actually works for audiences is more about whether the result feels earned.
What do you mean by that?
>>
File: finestra-usa.jpg (304 KB, 1003x1500) Image search: [Google]
finestra-usa.jpg
304 KB, 1003x1500
the russians could've stormed my neighborhood and i wouldn't have noticed during the last 20-30 minutes of this
>>
>>64217526
Grace Kelly was so hot. GOAT sidekick in that.
>>
>>64217814
it truly is perfect on every level, at least in what it sets out to achieve
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.