[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Force Awakens BTFO >mfw Abrams basically lost contro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: IT'S A BOMB.jpg (615 KB, 1855x825) Image search: [Google]
IT'S A BOMB.jpg
615 KB, 1855x825
The Force Awakens BTFO

>mfw Abrams basically lost control of the project and Disney snatched it up and made a Hobbitesque movie that people only love because of the Star Wars name brand

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/28/star-wars-storytelling-and-fixing-it-in-post

Disney tinkered Abrams original vision and tweaked it. The final movie wasn't what was originally intended. The story got jumbled up.

>"I don’t know how Abrams believed he fuckeded things up. Maybe the film didn’t move fast or smoothly enough. Maybe it didn’t make sense. Maybe Lucasfilm wanted to save stuff for sequels. But Abrams (or Kathleen Kennedy) clearly did believe he fucked ed things up, as hasty fixes were obviously deployed in production and post production to rebuild the story. The result is a movie cobbled together out of multiple versions of the script (see The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens for more) and even of the production footage. When you watch the movie, you can occasionally feel that something just isn’t right. I guarantee you that J.J. Abrams feels it too."
>>
>>64213874
>X tinkered Y's original vision and tweaked it. The final movie wasn't what was originally intended.
What is every movie ever made?
>>
>>64213874
that is an AWFUL article, holy shit.
So much advertising for his shitty movie and all he says is that because the film wasnt entirely based on the first draft of the script it was trash.

>>64214076
>>64214076
>>64214076
>>
>>64214076
not if the director has final cut
>>
>>64214270
thats not the point, hes bitching about the movie changing from script to script... citing a fucking CONCEPT ART book.

do the same thing with a new hope and you'd never finish your article, there'd be so many supposed things to bitch about
>>
>>64214238
>>64214337

I didn't think the article was that bad honestly.

There's obviously story flaws in TFA and it's reasonable to assume that during the filming and editing process there were significant story changes and some of these were major omissions considering how weak the characterization of the protagonist is handled.
>>
jj dindu nuffin he a good director
>>
>>64213874
TELL THAT TO KANJIKLUB
>>
>>64213874
>Given that my only feature to date is Ghost Shark 2: Urban Jaws

Stopped reading there. Article is a clickbait to sell his new movie project.
>>
>>64214076
This.

This happens with LITERALLY every movie ever made. It's why, generally speaking, directors aren't allowed in the editing booth.
>>
>>64213874
So you are trying to tell me that it was supposed to be great and not just a decent fan service
Maybe the next two will be good ?
Should I get my hopes up ?
>>
>>64213874
Do you ever wonder if maybe you're addicted to schadenfreude?

Like, there's this huge movie coming up, and you're so adamant that it's going to fail on any level, either conceptually, financially, or executionally, and so personally invested in that failure that when it doesn't and it makes a ton of money and everybody loves it, that you have to resort to shitty clickbait articles to feel human again?
>>
>>64215193
>LITERALLY

Fucking die, SERIOUSLY
>>
So TFA is Disney's fault, and not JJ's? So is JJ a hack or not?
>>
>>64215619
EW KIN TEL THAHT TUH KANJIKLUB
>>
did anyone else get fant4stic vibes from this movie, kind of rushed and unexplained and almost unfinished?
>>
Disney has made good movies over the last 90 years

JJ has never made a good movie ever

My guess its JJ's fault.
First the basic plot is dumb
second they got rid of poe
third they made rey a mary sue
4th another death star
5th why is leia a general of the rebels? 30 years after they won...why are they still rebels?

I'm sure disney pushed for certain things but JJ's artless hackery can be seen in every frame
>>
the beginning of the movie was so cohesive and perfect and the pacing is amazing in comparison to the rest of the movie

i liked the film overall but you can definitely tell things started getting fucked with as soon as the gang meets up with Han
>>
>>64213874
And the leftists of rotten tomatoes saved the day because of the strunk womyn and black leads!

Take away those two things, you have a ~20% RT score.
>>
>>64214270
No director in a Disney movie has final cut.
>>
>>64217528
No wonder JJ isn't the director of the next two movies... Unless Disney is trying to bring back the lost OT audience and have three separate directors.
>>
And look what that tinkering got us: an entertaining movie. Auteurfags are moof-milkers
>>
>>64217852
$5 has been successfully deposited into your account, goyim
>>
>>64213874
Ep. 7 was a mistake.

Star Wars is novel about Anakin Skywalker.

where is Anakin in 7? why they call it 7 if its not about anakin? it should be called Star Wars linkin park episode 1
>>
Most of what's bad about the movie is JJ Abrams signature fuckery.

Explaining nothing to have mystery without planning actual answers is the entire basis of Lost, all these people arguing about the identity of snoke don't realize that Abrams doesn't think beyond what he's currently filming.

The lazy shit where they see the planets explode out of the window is copy-pasted from his star trek movie.

The constant nostalgia pandering is his thing too, the only original movie he's made tries as hard as possible to be a new Spielberg movie.

Disney is lucky they were able to nigger-rig a few of JJ Abrams amateurish attempts at filmmaking into a watchable end-product.
>>
>>64213874
>fuckeded

Did you add the last two ed's or something, OP? Why would you do that?
>>
>>64217528
09 Star Trek isn't just the best Star Trek film, it's the best Star Wars film. JJ is a spectacular director.
>>
>>64218104
>xplaining nothing to have mystery without planning actual answers is the entire basis of Lost
In an interview with 60 minutes he talked about how Kasdan kept telling him to take out exposition

>The lazy shit where they see the planets explode out of the window is copy-pasted from his star trek movie.
It's originally from Star Wars, which JJ references in his Star Trek.
>>
>>64214076
It's people like you who were responsible for the Holocaust.
>>
>>64218104
Lawrence Kasdan, who's a washed up has been, sadly, should be blamed since he told JJ that you don't have to explain anything to the audiences. Meaning to avoid exposition.

Now I realize that Nolan fucked up everyone's perception of exposition, but you need some exposition to get a plot going. It's an important competent in storytelling, even though many, like Nolan, abuse it.

Not using it in TFA made everything from character backstory to "who and why is this person here" made everything so damn frustrating.

Way to go, fucking hacks. Bravo.
>>
>>64215193
>This happens with LITERALLY every movie ever made.
>there are LITERALLY movies where this hasnt happened
>>
>>64218500
Too little exposition is always better than too much. 2001 and The Tree of Life are the best films ever made mostly due to how little they attempt to explain what they're about
>>
>>64218500
Mr. Kasdan saved Empire. Don't talk shit about him, or else.
>>
>>64218595
Keep in mind what the filmmakers are trying to tell and who's the primary audience. A Star Wars movie should include exposition due it being an action/adventure flick compared to the visual storytelling of Kubrick.
>>
>>64218595
then silent films are best films according to you
>>
>>64213874
That's uncontrollable corporatocracy for you, senpai. This is the future you chose.
>>
>>64218624

No he didn't. The collaboration of the director and actors saved Empire.

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/magicofempire.html

One person didn't make that movie good, it was a collaborative effort.
>>
>>64218624
Mr. Kasdan hasn't written anything good since the early 90s. I'm sorry to say, but he isn't good anymore. Better hop along back to your Star Wars forum.
>>
>>64213874
>and twerked it.

fixed
>>
>>64213874
Whenever a movie is a fuck up it's always,
>The studio is behind it
Abrahms is the director and needs full responsibility not to mention IT'S IDENTICAL TO EVERYTHING ELSE HE'S DONE
>>
>>64218742
I want someone to make a side-by-side webm of Mission Impossible 3, his two Trek movies, and this fucking abomination.
>>
JJ is a pretty good director but a shitty writer
>>
>>64213874
So it's the bioshock infinite of the star wars franchise
>>
>>64218819
He's great with cinematography for action movies not giving directions to actors or script writing

and that's it
>>
>>64213874
>>"I don’t know how Abrams believed he fuckeded things up. Maybe the film didn’t move fast or smoothly enough. Maybe it didn’t make sense. Maybe Lucasfilm wanted to save stuff for sequels. But Abrams (or Kathleen Kennedy) clearly did believe he fucked ed things up, as hasty fixes were obviously deployed in production and post production to rebuild the story. The result is a movie cobbled together out of multiple versions of the script (see The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens for more) and even of the production footage. When you watch the movie, you can occasionally feel that something just isn’t right. I guarantee you that J.J. Abrams feels it too."

Bullshit.

TFA was an entertaining but forgettable movie which is all Abrams makes. It has his name all over it.
>>
>>64218652
What's important about Star Wars isn't the plot or the state of the universe, but the character drama. I though that TFA did a really good job of articulating that drama through acting and basic film language, rather than exposition. I really don't give a fuck about the state of the Republic; we know who the good guys and bad guys are, and that's enough.
>>
>>64218742
>The director has to be the fall guy for bad decisions despite him not wanting to make them but forced to at the behest of producers and execs
>>
>>64218867
>not giving directions to actors
Literally his strongest quality. Even his biggest detractors say that he gets good performances
>>
>>64218904
Choose your employer more carefully if you don't want the responsibility
>>
>>64218687
mm Nah fuck off.
>>
>>64213874
This article seems totally legit and well-researched. I believe in this author's credibility, as well as trust in the reputation of birthmoviesdeath.com when it comes to insider information within the entertainment industry.

J.J. definitely had nothing to do with the final movie product. I'm so glad this article confirmed my suspicions on that matter.
>>
>>64218923
He gets good action performances not good emotional performances or performances with depth or meaning. It's shallow and keeps the pretty pictures moving that's all he cares about
>>
>>64219025
Rey's interrogation scene in TFA is better acted than anything in any Star Wars film up to that point, particularly after Kylo Ren takes off his mask.
>>
>>64219145
That wasn't a comedy scene?
>>
File: Sr.jpg (269 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
Sr.jpg
269 KB, 1462x1462
>>64213874
>LITERALLY A SOULLESS MOVIE WITHOUT ARTISTIC VISION
>SHILL WARS WILL DEFEND THIS
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
I agree w/ the story's author. I had a sense through post that all the spoiler sites were getting it wrong suddenly on story deets, and that they no longer thought they had the final story locked down, even weeks before it came out. I had the same small concerns the author brings up.

The Kanata/Rey basement scene WAS jarring and seemed weird and rushed. Poe's reappearance WAS too convenient...one shot you see of him he's missing from the wreck of a TIE, the next he's leading an X-wing attack, what, a day later?

The author's right, the movie goes along at such a pace and is so fun that you kinda forget about the plot holes and story issues, but I think as we all see it again and again we'll have more chance to see some of them as pretty huge.
>>
>>64219145
LOL right. That scene was barely a passable.
>>
>>64219505
I can imagine JJ making calls to some of his actors (especially Oscar Isaac) saying "hey, sorry, we kinda half-assed this thing and most of your part's been cut. Get ya on the next one!)
>>
>>64213874

>Some guy on the internet said!!
>Why don't you agree with muh opinion?!?!
>>
>>64219025
>>64219611
Not only the best scene in the movie, the best Jedi/Sith confrontation in the entire franchise prove me wrong
>>
File: 1430455388792.jpg (24 KB, 317x432) Image search: [Google]
1430455388792.jpg
24 KB, 317x432
>>64219707

can you please go away
>>
>birthmoviesdeath.com

Sounds like a very reputable site.
>>
>>64217528
What makes you think the Empire would collapse into nothing with the death of the Emperor?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.