[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why Star Wars films are good? Or is it just "turn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: kheps0mq9pmpqlewluim.jpg (2 MB, 2880x2160) Image search: [Google]
kheps0mq9pmpqlewluim.jpg
2 MB, 2880x2160
Tell me why Star Wars films are good?

Or is it just "turn off your brain, it's fun", "it's a silly children's movie", "it's culturally important, therefore it's good", "it's iconic".
>>
>>64213719
It's a big circlejerk.
>>
But ESB isn't a 'turn your brain off' movie.
Only the Jar Jar parts of TPM,the Ewok parts of ROTJ and all of TFA are turn your brain off movies.
>>
>>64213719
They're not. It's just pulp sci-fi.
>>
>>64213719

tfa is the best star wars movie tbqh
>>
>>64213719

They're soap operas.

Even ESB, which is the most straight film of the series is soap opera/comic book tier.
>>
>>64213820
If you are a fucking moron, tfa is the best star wars movie tbqh. FTFY
>>
>>64213719
There's 3 reasons why the original 3 Star Wars have held up for so long.

1) The soundtrack
2) The practical effects
3) Harrison Ford
>>
>>64214520
>2) The practical effects
But the original effects look like shit now.
Only the SE's recomposited effects hold up.
You're seeing '97 tech, not 80s tech.
>>
>>64213719
They tell fun stories with interesting characters and cool special effects.

Obviously this is a bait thread, but I still felt inclined to reply.
>>
>>64214685
It's not bait, I'm genuinely curious if there any good, besides the obvious "it's just fun".

Even other low brow films, like Jaws or Raiders of the Last Ark, have a hint of creativity in the cinematography.
>>
>>64214949

The Star Wars movies, even at their worse (AOTC) are incredibly creative, but they're called "space operas" for a reason.
>>
>>64214949
>Even other low brow films, like Jaws or Raiders of the Last Ark, have a hint of creativity in the cinematography.
The six movies do have quite a few creative shots in them.
>>
fuck
>>
>>64213795
empire is the quintessential reddit star wars flick
>>
>>64215010
neat, i thought i was banned

i promise i won't cunnypost anymore :^)
>>
>>64215022
>reddit now means good
When did this 360° happen?
>>
In the simplest terms, A New Hope is storytelling in its purest form and Empire Strikes Back is a perfect sequel.
>>
you just get the feeling when watching original trilogy to be honest, something that makes you enjoy yourself
perfect combination of story and visuals just like indiana jones or some bond films
>>
>>64213719
I've been watching this movie for the last past hour (30 minutes actually, at 2x speed) and it honestly feels like one big comic-con convention.
>>
It's the essential heroes journey. You get to see the characters grow and solve a problem over the course of three films. Also, Vader being Lukes father was a legitimately surprising turn of events.
>>
Shit movies. Everyone is a Mary Sue.
>>
I pictured Star Wars would be a bigger movie. I grew up seeing the parodies, playing the games, and seeing all the characters. Now that I'm watching it... I feel disappointed.
>>
>>64215363
for you
>>
>>64214616
If you watch the movies the bits that look aged are the 90s special effects...

try watching the HD versions of the original theatrical releases and they look pretty convincing.
>>
>>64214949

Not every movie has to completely redefine cinema to be considered good you mongoloid faggot
>>
>>64213719
Star Wars is a series which became popular because it catered to the needs of those at the time. It took "goodies and baddies" and put them in space.

ANH was rough, but it had a lot of heart, and some excellent set design.

ESB is actually quite a decent movie, it's simple but well organised and holds itself on its own merits.

ROTJ is complete garbage.
>>
>>64215479
>>>64214616 (You) #
>If you watch the movies the bits that look aged are the 90s special effects...
No, I'm saying they recompoIted the practical effects.
>try watching the HD versions of the original theatrical releases and they look pretty convincing.
ANH-hell no
ESB-ehh the space lizard looks like shit, as do the tie bomb effects, but the falcon/star destroyer shots are good.
ROTJ-mostly good, but the SSD crashing into the DS2 looks ridiculously awful, like an unfinished effect.
>>
>>64215642
*recomposited
>>
>>64213719

Watch IV and V despecialized editions and then tell me they aren't great movies. Go ahead.

If you watched Lucas's retarded SE shit you did it wrong.
>>
>>64215642

Yea no... I have to disagree. You mention the bombs looking crap for example, however it's not crap as much as it's different. Yes they aren't as flashy or explosive as they would be today however they still look like convincing bombs.

Space Lizard (more like worm but whatever) does look a little puppity yes, but that's no different to Maz looking like CGI etc.

Looking different does not equate to shit. Well not all the time.
>>
>>64215835
You'll have to wait a bit.

I'll download them, them tell you.
>>
>>64215098
This is simply the result of society conditioning you to know about them and love them. Same reason Americans somehow enjoy their shitty beer- the endless adds have conditioned them to associate bear with a good time, regardless of their lack of flavor.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.