[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most overrated movie of the year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 11
File: images (1).jpg (22 KB, 318x463) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
22 KB, 318x463
All i heard about this movie was praise, that it was epic, a feminist propaganda and stuff like that, but now i'am about to finish it and its nothing like that. The only important woman is the bald one and everytime she needs help o
>>
>>64202843

It's still better and less overpraised than The Force Awakens.
>>
>>64202916
>and less overpraised
Like fuck it is.
It's an action movie with average action sequences that get its cock sucked for long shots and """worldbuilding""" and practical effects.
>>
>>64203009
It had great cinematography. still better than the glib facsimile.
>>
>but muh practical effects
>but muh "mediocre"
>but muh 2 hour car chase
>but muh immortan joe
FUCK OFF YOU FUCKS THIS MOVIE WASN'T THAT GREAT

THE ACTION SCENES WERE SPED UP AND IT WAS SO FUCKING ANNOYING
>>
>>64203009
>that get its cock sucked for long shots
What? There is like a cut every second in this movie. I've never heard anybody say that.
>>
>>64202916
>>64203103
Lets not get crazy here, TFA is far better than this movie. I would say MadMax its decent
>>
If cinema starts displaying female characters as solid as Furiosa, screenwriting will be amazing in the future.

t.b.h. I'm tired of flat characters like that bitch from Batman Begins.
>>
>>64203160
Long shots=/=long takes
When people talk about it's "great" cinematography>>64203103 they generally refer to the fact that it used a lot of long shots to frame the scenes
>>
>>64203194
yeah it's too bad most of the movie was focused on those bimbos she was hauling around
>>
>>64202843
You don't understand that in yet another year loaded with unmerited reboots and superfluous sequels, as the seemingly endless extension of retreads, reimaginings, and expanded universes continues to pummel viewers into submission, it's almost unbelievable to find a mass-market movie that makes good on the hype. Pulling off a genuine Trojan-horse maneuver of cinematic subversion within the cloak of a beloved franchise, Mad Max: Fury Road stands as a statement on how even the most stringently managed of studio properties can be massaged to produce miraculous results. It also proves that poetry and pandemonium, not to mention inventive filmmaking and healthy box office, don't need to be mutually exclusive. Moving up from the unfocused weirdness of Beyond Thunderdome into new heights of inspired madness, this innovative vision from a familiar apocalyptic wasteland retains the series's general outlines while also further reducing its titular hero to a mythical supporting character. Yet for all the implicit progressive politics and outsized metaphoric constructions, the film is most successful as a blunt expression of impassioned force, its strident stands on a variety of hot-button issues used as fuel to stoke a cacophonous combustion of energy and noise. Structured around the spectacle of a single extended chase sequence, it spins out a Keaton-esque carnival of dodgy practical effects, ingeniously tactile set pieces, and equivalently creative CG. Subtlety and contemplation have their place, but Fury Road scratches a different sort of atavistic itch, satisfying the compulsion for genuine awe and amazement so often neglected by modern tent poles, exhibiting its ultimate allegiance toward the viewer rather than the monolithic dictates of the brand.
>>
>>64203009
>average action sequences

What's your top tier action sequence, so we know what your scale is?

Fags are always easy to knock something without providing their examples of quality.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 600x872) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 600x872
>>64203165
>force awakens far better than mad max 4
>mfw I don't even like MM4 that much
>>
I enjoyed this movie a lot more than TFA. I've seen both movies twice in theaters when they were out (one by choice, one due to GF). Mad Max was still a great movie the whole way through but TFA was just going through the motions...Stay mad, star wars queers.
hateful eight, how is it? /tv/ is filled with star wars threads.
>>
>>64203228

idk, to me it was focused on the interactions between Furiosa and Max. That was 10/10 writing. It didn't feel forced like TFA. It was perfect.
>>
>>64203250
>What's your top tier action sequence, so we know what your scale is?
Most of Ong Bak t b h. Even the hallway shootout from Kingsmen was better than anything in Mad Max, and it was far from great.
>>
>>64203237
this has to be a copypasta, i don't believe that someone took the time to do this

it was a shit movie m8 get over it, it was repetitive and i was genuinely bored after the first twenty minutes, unlike the "retreads, reimaginings and expanded universe" movies
>>
>>64203298
There was more emotional impact in the silent glances between Max and Furiosa than there was when Star Wars killed off the fan favorite character.
>>
>>64202843
really boring movie
wasted characters
benny hill
>>
>>64202916
both are garbage 2bh
>>
>>64203333
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-critics-list-the-top-10-movies-of-2015
>>
>>64203237
didn't read but it was full of cliche dialogue, baysplosions, shit characters.
>>
>>64203315
The hallway shootout, where they reuse the same 30sqft set piece from different angles, and employ generic bad guy troops who can't aim?

Or the church brawl?
>>
File: George Miller, Legend.png (90 KB, 648x937) Image search: [Google]
George Miller, Legend.png
90 KB, 648x937
>>64202843
Mad Max Fury Road is a towering juggernaut of a film, a grandiose testament to hard work and oragnisation, two qualities of which are sorely lacking in today's "cookie-cutter" blockbuster films. It will undoubtedly stand the ultimate test, when many so-called "classics" are swept away by the sands of time.
>>
>>64203237
>superfluous sequels
>retreads
>re imaginings

implying this film isn't all of those and more
>>
>>64203434
>top 6 are all leftist SJW movies.
>Number 1 is the leftiest most SJW of the bunch
What does this tell you.
>>
Nope it's rated perfectly, a masterpiece and a cinematic miracle in 2015.
>>
>>64203464
>It will undoubtedly stand the ultimate test, when many so-called "classics" are swept away by the sands of time.
Except it is already forgotten only 6 months after its release.
>>
>>64203434
Wow critics liked it so i guess i have to, too.

Damn man, you got me, i guess i enjoyed it after all, my bad
>>
>>64203478
Right wingers don't make good movies.
>>
>>64203528
Only right wingers have the ability to make good movies.
>>
>>64202843

I left this movie feeling more ass raped than I had ever before. The exact moment I stopped trusting critics and audience scores.

Fucking 2 hour car chase piece of shit movie I already fucking hate car chases FUCK
>>
>>64203517
Are you taking medication for your ADHD? Your family has my condolences.
>>
>>64203550
Can you name one from 2015?
>>
File: HAHAHAHAH.jpg (56 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHAHAH.jpg
56 KB, 342x342
>>64203488
A CINEMATIC MIRACLE
>>
>>64203315
I literally just watched all the fight scenes from Ong Bak. They're horribly choreographed, just a series of neat kicks and dodges, edited together in the laziest way possible. You can tell exactly where they fucked up a take and cut to re-shoot.

You're a moron.
>>
>>64203211
i wish, they mean the ever so original orange tint
>>
>>64203453
The church scene was shit, unfocused mayhem. The hallway shootout was much more interesting to watch. FYI generic badguys who can't aim who are dressed up like a post-apocalyptic gang are still generic badguys who can't aim.
>>
>>64203573
Sicario
>>
>>64203569
The only people who ever cared about this were the reddit flavor of the month meme squad who jump onto every hyped bandwagon. The only people who ever praised Mad Max Feminism Reddit have now forgotten all about it because social media has stopped giving them upvotes for being seen praising it, and have no moved on to star wars, which will also in turn be disposed of when the next meme comes along.
>>
>>64203569
That film is only remembered by the people who constantly circlejerk and rave about it, like it's the fucking Godfather
>>
>>64203517
Says who? Just because people aren't taking about it every day for 6 months doesn't mean it's forgotten. I just watched it on a flight to Orlando last week. It's practically art, the music is phenomenal, it's like a play.
>>
>>64203165
mad max 4 was a solid movie. the force awakens was entirely subpar
>>
>>64203641
It's okay, but not great. And surprise, those leftist critics also liked it.
>>
>>64203641
Fuck off IMDB child.
>>
>>64203600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM2atZfn87M
^Here's something with a bit less editing faggot.
>They're horribly choreographed, just a series of neat kicks and dodges, edited together in the laziest way possible
That's meaningless criticism you asshurt Max faggot
>>
File: Timmy.jpg (6 KB, 150x250) Image search: [Google]
Timmy.jpg
6 KB, 150x250
>>64203648
You're right in that it stands up there with The Godfather as an indisputable masterpiece and a glorious triumph of filmmaking.
>>
>>64203437
>baysplosions
Go back to /v/ or facbeook
>>
Even Cahiers du Cinema fags loved it.

Mia Madre – Nanni Moretti
Cemetery of Splendour – Apichatpong Weerasethakul
In the Shadow of Women – Philippe Garrel
The Smell of Us – Larry Clark
Mad Max: Fury Road – George Miller
Jauja – Lisandro Alonso
Inherent Vice – Paul Thomas Anderson
Arabian Nights – Miguel Gomes
The Summer of Sangaile – Alanté Kavaïté
Journey to the Shore – Kiyoshi Kurosawa
>>
>>64203715
I wasn't saying that, though. Did you even read what I said? It's an average popcorn flick with no real substance. You virgins defend it like it's your firstborn child
>>
Since this is a congregation of people who'd line up to suck George Miller's cock dry:
Find me one exceptional action scene from Mad Max.
>>
File: Those Legs Are Smooth, Cat.jpg (185 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
Those Legs Are Smooth, Cat.jpg
185 KB, 580x435
>>64203835
Of course. It's such a masterful, incomparable, near-flawless film that deserves to be defended. When people look back and praise the classics: Gone With the Wind, 2001, Pulp Fiction, Memento, this one will be whispered with awe and reverence alongside them.
>>
>>64203881
Every single one.
>>
>>64203835
Hard to call it "average" when it's literally the only piece of popcorn "entertainment" oriented cinema released in the last 15 years that was actually thrilling.
>>
>>64202843
>but now i'am about to finish it and its nothing like that
maybe you should get the fuck off of /tv/ and your phone and watch the fucking movie.
>>
>>64203915
Like the one with the flying motorcross retards who get shot one by one by Furiosa until one of them lands on the roof of a moving truck, or the one with the guys who try to force the truck off the road but get pelted with bombs, in a dynamic turn of events?
>>
>>64204000
Yes, asshole.
>>
I loved it and I don't even like action flicks.
But I admit, the non-action scenes were kind of cringy and heavy handed, like that whole seeds and hope thing.
It was a great experience in the cinema, watching it at home on a laptop is probably more boring.

Charlize Theron, Tom Hardy and the Nux boy just carried the movie well.
>>
>>64204076
You should watch more action movies, if you love Mad Max you'll cream your pants watching something that isn't shit
>>
>>64203881

the bit with Max in chains and the jammed shotgun was the best part of the movie
>>
>>64204133
such as? some shaky cam shit like the Bourne Movies? or DUDE SLOW MOTION LMAO like The Matrix? Name an action movie on par this millenium
>>
>>64204085
You're a retard if you came out of this movie liking Hardy's performance. It was terrible on purpose to push the agenda.
>bring back one of the great iconic cinema characters
>make him a side character
>Don't even let him show his face for the entire movie
>Have actor play him as limp wristed and autistically as possible.
I'd say it's like a joke on the expense of the audience but considering the very real political affiliations of the movie it's more like a director cutting the balls off his legacy as some act of cuckold humiliation fetishism.
>>
>>64204201
The entire sequence with Bullet Farmer is my favorite.
>>
>>64204225
>calling the matrix bad on the grounds of being SLOW MOTION LMAO while flying the flag for DUDE FAST MOTION LMAO: the flick

Also at least Bourne had a story and some diversity to the encounters even if you think dislike the way it was filmed.
>>
>>64204243
I haven't seen the previous Mad Max movies so I can't comment on that. I liked his performance a lot, wasn't a fan of his before but it won me over.
>>
>>64204351
>I haven't seen the previous Mad Max movies so I can't comment on that.
The reddit meme audience who praise fury road in a nutshell.
>>
>>64204318
Every action scene in Mad Max was different.
>>
>>64204392
Sorry your favourite action flick is irrevelant now and has been for years senpai but I don't even have an interest in seeing the others unless they'll be shown at a cinema or something.
Grow up, no need to be so assblasted.
>>
>>64202843
witness dubs
>>
>>64204411
You had the chain fight with furiosa. And then you had everything else which was completely monotonous.
>dude now they have poles
>dude now they have bomb spears
>dude now they have different looking cars
Literally the only differences between the scenes.
>>
John Wick was a better action flick than Fury Road, prove me wrong.
>>
>>64204201
You mean against Furiosa? It was fun, three stooges sorta thing. I wouldn't call it an exceptional action scene though, the silliness of the whole thing interfered with the tension, and
unfortunately most of the movie strayed very far from it.
>>64204225
Even Kingsmen was better, and that was a meme movie.
>>
>>64204486
The only actually good action scene in John Wick was the club fight. Got pretty boring as it went on.
>>
haters btfo
>>
>>64204486
I can't. It *was* a better flick. However, it's like comparing apples and oranges, since you were correct in saying John Wick was a flick, while Mad Max Fury Road was cinema... dare I say it, perhaps even kino.
>>
>>64203165
>The Force Awakens
>Better
I'd be if it wasn't directed by a hack.
>>
>>64204483
it's called consistency, it was a car chase movie
>>
>>64204483
>dude now they have poles, attack in a completely different way and look different
This is more accurate. And yes, I think it's a pretty big difference.
>>
>>64204577
>It had intentionally monotonous action sequences so that can't be a flaw in an action movie
>>
>>64204243

>has never seen the original Mad Max movies
>>
File: 1421320859248.jpg (100 KB, 1058x705) Image search: [Google]
1421320859248.jpg
100 KB, 1058x705
>>64204449
>senpai
>grow up
>assblasted

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAAAAAAA!
>>
>>64204605
I don't think many people see it at monotonous. Maybe the next one will have more Gungans for you.
>>
>>64204243
>Holds people hostage
>Tries to steal their shit
>Disarms them at gunpoint
>Grunts like a crazy man for first half of movie
Sure, anon.
>>
>>64204577
Then maybe car chases stop being entertaining when they last 2 fucking hours. There's zero excitement after the first one. The rest of the movie is just the same shit again except they are using different weapons now I guess.

Road Warrior is a good car chase movie because it starts slow and builds to a climax. The car chase is actually entertaining in that case. Fury Road is the equivilent of just taking the last 20 minutes of that movie, playing them on repeat 6 times and then calling it a film.
>>
>>64204717
>Fury Road is the equivilent of just taking the last 20 minutes of that movie, playing them on repeat 6 times and then calling it a film.
Sounds more like cinema or kino.
>>
>>64202843
I watched this movie in cinemas 3 times, which is something I've never done with any other movie.

It did exactly what it was supposed to do, wow and entertain. Pure entertainment with highly polished visuals.

I've never been so entertained with an action movie since Aliens.
>>
>>64204647
Lel why are you so mad, stop making yourself so uncomfortable.
>>
File: 1419776087688.jpg (71 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1419776087688.jpg
71 KB, 800x600
so many contraryfags, breaking bad all over again
>>
>>64204650
People like following trends, and right now the trends are telling them Mad Max is a Good Movie, it doesn't matter that they can't remember more than one two-dimensional character, or that they can't remember more than one action sequence in two hours worth of action. Time will tell though, it always does.
>>
Show me a better movie opening than this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJ8_Jf891k
>>
>>64204762
The plebeianism of the Fury Reddit fanbase reveals itself. Aliens is literally one of the greatest atrocities in the history of cinema. It's like they made a sequel to Solaris and that sequel was just Avatar. And before you say "uugghh aliens was way better than avatar" know that they're exactly the same brand of braindead pleb pandering pedestrian film making. If you saw Avatar at age 6-7 like you did with Aliens then you'd be praising that like you praise Aliens especially if you spend your life being validated by a board of fellow millennials who also dick suck your favorite nostalgia movie.

I'm at the point now where I'd go out in the world and ask people whether they preferred Alien or Aliens and the first person who'd answer Aliens I'd just pull out my gun and put a bullet in them.
>>
>>64204933
The dialogue is fucking terrible. Made me feel embarrassed that I was even sitting in the room watching this video game level garbage.
>>
>>64204819
>People like following trends
Yeah.
> right now the trends are telling them Mad Max is a Good Movie
This is such a silly point of view. I left that movie buzzing, it was very refreshing. I didn't have to go to the internet and state my case to the internet to allow my opinion to be weighed in on. So sure, I'm square one of a "trend" (liking movies is a trend?). But I had a good fucking time and 4chan can't dull that. You can full hate it on your own, but if you feel there are trends to be followed: I'll be the pot and call the kettle black here. 4chan's tide of anti-hype, contrarianism, and trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls do not make for good public sampling.
>>
>>64204933
His voice is gritty which I guess is cool. The action is nothing though. They drive him off the road and capture him like nothing. And then he runs for a bit and dangles and there's fucking nothing interesting about that chase.
>>
>>64204961
>Don't ruin my enjoyment of that cinema!
>What I feel watching recordings in the dark must be held to high standards!
>You're watching the wrong talking pictures and invalidating my no-hobby lifestyle of filmes

Eat a dick, anon. Anyone can sit on their ass and watch movies.
>>
>>64205147
If you like it that's fine, I'm not one of those faggots who wants to ruin everything for everyone. But this is one trend that somehow became THE BEST movie of 2015 in popular thought and it's bizarrely seperated from the actual quality of the movie.
>>
>>64205215
>Record breaking number of real world filmed car flips
>The action is nothing
this is what CGI has done.
>>
>>64202843
yes, it's boring
>>
>>64205269
>Anyone can sit on their ass and watch movies.
Anyone can sit on their ass and have a movie happen in front of them. But very few people are equipped to understand cinema.
>>
>>64205438
Looks like you ain't one of them senpai
>>
>>64202843
It was good as an action movie but it didn't feel like Mad Max.
>>
>>64205291
I understand a bit more. It was my favorite action movie, but action movies as a top pick for someone's number one of a whole year isn't well, very thoughtful.
>>
>>64205474
If you think Aliens is in any way acceptable then you have never appreciated authentic cinema once in your life. How could you hope to.
>>
>>64205574
Aliens is art of the highest order.
>>
>>64205604

It's a flick.
>>
>>64205604
Alien = Mad Max
Aliens = Road Warrior (pleb trash)
Alien 3 = Beyond Thunderdome
Alien Resurrection = Fury Road
>>
>>64205574
And what classes as "authentic cinema"? Give some examples.
>>
File: 1440281823259.png (145 KB, 1395x701) Image search: [Google]
1440281823259.png
145 KB, 1395x701
Never change /tv/
>>
>>64205703

>Road Warrior is worse than the original

is this a new meme my plebeian friend?
>>
>>64202843
it was great.

the fact that it garnered so much attention from feminists is merely coincidence and shouldn't detract from its success.
>>
>>64205574
>Criticizes the quintessential space marine movie as shit
>Compares it to Hype! The Movie that has no influence years later
Someone in Hollywood wrote "Alien" on a whiteboard, paused, then finished it as "Alien$" And it happened to become more influential than most films can ever hope because it was good.
>>
>>64205730
Alien
The Counselor
Terminator 1.
>>
>>64205807
>shits on scifi
>only brings up other beloved scifi
Oh, I get it, you're just a fat guy.
>>
>>64205738

We must safeguard our board against the NORMIES my compatriot
>>
>>64205703
Alien = Mad Max
Aliens = Fury Road
Alien 3 = Beyond Thunderdome
Alien Resurrection = Road Warrior (pleb trash)
>>
I just couldn't get past Max's dialogue. It always sounds so horribly dubbed over and it took me out of the movie every single time he talked.
>>
>>64205738
Man, of this was real then that person needs to die in the most horrible way possible
>>
>>64205788
>because it was good.
There are children of star wars and there are children of 2001. I was a child of 2001, everything else at school was a child of star wars. That's why I had no friends, but the benefit is that I can appreciate cinema on a deeper level than any child of star wars ever could.

Children of Star Wars love Aliens, Road Warrior and Terminator 2.

Children of 2001 love Alien, Mad Max and Terminator 1.
>>
>>64205842
Aliens is not sci-fi. Aliens is a proto capeshit plebfest destroying cinema in the wake of capeshit wars' destruction of the genre.
>>
>>64205868
that community college education didn't serve you well
>>
>>64205703
how can someone have such shit taste beats me
>>
>>64205959
>college education
Nice try.
I went to "cinema".
>>
>>64205868
And yet I like all of those movies. Your thesis is untested and projected.
>That's why I had no friend
>the benefit is that I can appreciate cinema on a deeper level
You sadden me, anon. Taste in movies is no excuse for missing out on the world and it's many dishes.

>>64205911
>Aliens is not sci-fi and a pile of words
Hoooookay.
>>
It was one of the best action movies ever filmed and will not be surpassed in ages.

The director did outstanding job with it
>>
>>64206234
>And yet I like all of those movies.
No, you don't. You want to like them and say you like them, you may have even deluded yourself into thinking you like them, but no one so cinematically unsophisticated that they like Aliens is qualified to genuinely appreciate 2001. You might enjoy it on a superficial level but you lack the cinematic training to fully be one with the film.
>>
>>64206401
If you say so.
>>
Tarantino said it was the best movie of the year.
>>
>>64206401

At least someone on this board is trying to explain to the lowest common denominator why their thoughts don't mean much when it comes to cinema.

Too much of the time, people just resort to memes.
>>
>>64206585
>>64206401
>Implying faking a highly discriminating taste in movies is useful, or desirable to existence in society and not a petty way validating shutting out the world
Who needs real world character when you can watch and appreciate simulated character?
>>
>>64206689
There is more "reality" in a piece of advanced cinema than one could hope to experience in an entire regular human lifetime There is more to be learned and understood from an educated viewing of Tarkovsky's Nostalghia than there would be in a thousand regular human lifetimes. It's the human experience concentrated and mainlined into your brain. I've lifed more life by the age of 29 as a high level cinema disciple than entire the familial generations of "Outside people" combined could ever hope to experience.
>>
>>64203820
Cahiers is worse than /tv/ poseurs
>>
>>64206888
dih-loo-zhuh-nl
>>
>>64206888
Say this out loud. I dare you to say this out loud and pretend you don't sound insane.
>>
>>64206888
*tips fedora*
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.