[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just saw this film and holy shit, it's amazing. John Ford
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 11171299_ori.jpg (240 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
11171299_ori.jpg
240 KB, 800x1200
I just saw this film and holy shit, it's amazing. John Ford is a legend.
>>
>>64180028
Wayne considered Ethan his best role and actually named one of his kids Ethan after the character he played
>>
>>64180028
It is great. My personal favorite Ford western is My Darling Clementine.

My favorite Ford film is Mister Roberts.
>>
>>64180028
>serious scene followed by slapstick humor at the expense of the "half breed" Indian kid

God this movie was so close from being perfect. Even among its downfalls it's still a really good western, far from the best like everyone keeps saying
>>
>>64180439
*tips fedora*
>>
>>64180462
Too "problematic" 4u sjw hothead?
>>
>>64180028
You know john wayne was a faggot right?

Nigga you gay
>>
>>64180622
Not him, but the severe tonal shifts have always been problematic for everybody including the most adoring Ford fans, it's just not like anything else in his filmography. I suspect he felt disturbed personally by the subject and tried sticking in these escapades to allow himself and the audience some breathing room and stop the film from becoming too didactic.
>>
File: thehorsesoldiers.jpg (852 KB, 936x1182) Image search: [Google]
thehorsesoldiers.jpg
852 KB, 936x1182
This was pretty cool.
>>
>>64180028
You know you really didn't like it that much. It's only a great movie when viewed by the standards of its day. Rio Bravo is much more enjoyable today, while Searchers suffers from tonal shifts so blatant and awful that it seems to have been made for a child. It literally assumes stupidity on the part of the audience.
>>
Goat western comin thru
>>
Nah
>>
>>64181252
Is that your real opinion or are you being edgy?
>>
>>64181890
Yes but I generally don't like Westerns except Peckinpah.
>>
>>64180868
for you
>>
>>64180966
Don't get me wrong, Rio Bravo's got some neat stuff going on under the hood, but it's like watching fucking paint dry most of the time, which is painful to say about a movie that's so damn campy/comfy.

The Searchers holds up specifically because of >>64180792 for me. It's a necessary moment of maturation for the Western as a genre and a conscious look at the iconography as separate from the actuality. The result is a movie that comes across as desperately at odds with itself and that desperation makes it unnaturally compelling. It's a war in a man's head to come to a greater tolerance and empathy and in some ways, he succeeds. And in some ways he fails. And in some ways he sees the cartoon and in some ways he sees this stark reality until there's nothing for him but the desert. It's the first really "modern" western, the sort of font that brings us to the John Ford who's coming out with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and these later movies that play around with the icons and tropes in a much more self-reflective light.
>>
>>64182657
I know this isn't the reply you're looking for, but there's no way on earth that you took all that from Wayne's performance, nor is there any way that Wayne meant to signal that to the viewer. The Searchers is bold only when compared to its contemporaries and complex only because of the one layer of ambiguity from John Wayne, which was one layer more than any of his previous performances. The "cartoon" and all that are nice on paper but simply don't exist nor were they meant to exist in that movie.
>>
>>64182826
Not from Wayne so much as the movie as a whole piece. The landscape shaping the man and the man shaping the landscape and all that.
>>
>>64182888
I'll have to take your word for it friendo, although your opinion is somewhat suspect after your dis of Rio Bravo. I'll check out the Searchers again, maybe I missed it.
>>
File: Searchers-Final-Shot.jpg (46 KB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
Searchers-Final-Shot.jpg
46 KB, 640x352
>tfw
>>
File: 1448170184043.png (1 MB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1448170184043.png
1 MB, 640x960
>>64180868
>the big men ride
>>
>>64182964
I mean, Rio Bravo's not bad. It's just kinda boring to me. It's another of those Howard Hawks movies John Carpenter did better than Howard Hawks.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.