[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/tv/ and other fedoratards bitching about Rey being a "Mary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
>/tv/ and other fedoratards bitching about Rey being a "Mary Sue" despite not being useless while having a vagina
>Forget that Anakin Skywalker was THE Mary Sue of the SW franchise for literally being Space Jesus
>Luke Skywalker became the best jedi in a short span time, yet he's not considered a Mary Sue either

Admit it, you just hate Rey because she's a bad ass woman.
>>
nigger where have you been, everyone shit on anakin since he was shown as a kid in the phantom menace

besides he's still less of a mary sue because we see him going on crazy, megalomaniacal rants, getting pissed and slaughtering droves of people and younglings, getting tempted by padme, and losing
>>
He's good at a lot of things but he's also dumb as shit, which ends up costing him a whole lot
>>
Isn't it easy to be BEST at something when you're the only one left?
>>
>>64162285
Anakin:
>episode 1, literally everyone minus Qui gon is annoyed with him upon initial meeting
>has a completely fucked up life and is boarderline autistic
>a few of the of the jedi don't like him either
>fucks up and loses his arm by being cocky
>fucks up more and becomes a parapelegic with a dead wife and burns and a bad guy

Luke
>fucks up a bunch in his training befor being competent in episode 6
>is annoying to almost everyone upon initial meeting
>needed Han to save his ass a lot
>needed leia to cross the pit
>needs help across the way to win till 6 and even then still needs his father to save his ass in the end
>>
>>64162372
>getting tempted by padme

I'm glad someone caught on to that. George was trying to warn people.
>>
Anakin had character flaws and weaknesses. Learn what a fucking Mary Sue is before talking about it
>>
>>64162466
>George was trying to warn people
Of?
>>
Its fascinating to me that even on an anonymous message board, where there's no repercussions for stating uncouth opinions, Anons still refuse to admit their abject hatred of women and minorities.
>>
>>64162285
Anakin was a disturbing edgy fucker. Being Space Jesus was his only strong point.
>>
I don't know why I'm responding to bait but here I go.

When people complain about Mary Sue/Gary Stu it's not that we hate that the character is strong or heroic the problem is that they don't have any downsides to their character.

Anakin has a ton of faults in Episode 2 and 3, he's a fucking psycho who becomes a tragic villain. Furthest thing from a Gary Stu.

Luke is innocent and childlike in the first movie, he gets knocked around by Sandpeople and the scumbags at the cantina, his ass gets saved by Han and Obi-Wan. His greenness stops him from being a Gary Stu.

Rey only kicks ass in the new movie, she doesn't have any faults. That's why she's a Mary Sue and will be until she has a fuck up or two in the sequels.
>>
>>64162285
Anakin got BTFO in a couple of seconds by dooku and then he died against obi, so much for a mary sue senpai.
>>
>>64162285

Asshole faggot, Anakin has one of the most fucked up lives in the entire galaxy.

People that die know less pain than him, he loses everything he cares about and ends up having his children trained by religious nutjobs to kill him.

Go fuck yourself
>>
>Anakin Skywalker
The guy who was full of character flaws, to the point where nobody got along with him, he murdered his wife, and brought about the fall of an empire? That guy is a perfect can do no wrong mary sue?
>Luke Skywalker
He trained under the greatest Jedi master for weeks and could barely accomplish a fraction of what Yoda could do. In the end he only won because of his father's hesitation, and nearly fell to the dark side himself. He had his flaws too, he was full of doubt and anger.

Now tell me what Rey did so wrong.
>>
File: 1450345394695.png (65 KB, 136x191) Image search: [Google]
1450345394695.png
65 KB, 136x191
>>64162490

Padme is the real villain of the prequels, you dolt. Everything bad that befell the Republic can be traced back to her conscious decisions and her seduction of a confused young monk boy suffering from the sudden separation from and eventual loss of his mother
>>
Anakin is just as shit if not more so. Trying to claim people didn't hate him is just outright bullshit.

Luke becomes very powerful, but it happens along a journey where he makes mistakes and is consistently challenged.

Rey undresses Ren despite never holding a lightsaber before and Jedi mind tricks someone despite learning like a day ago that the force is a thing and the Jedi are even real.
>>
>>64162490

The Jews
>>
>>64162285
Daily reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_tkxZZMkk
>>
>>64162285
In Episode 1 he was just a good pilot
In Episode 2 he get beaten multiple times even by Dooku
even in Episode 3 he still loses to Obi Wan
>>
>>64162963
>sudden seperation
>like 8 years after he got freed in The Phantom Menace
>>
File: 43345.jpg (95 KB, 522x303) Image search: [Google]
43345.jpg
95 KB, 522x303
>>64162963
But Padme got seduced by Anakin talking about how he hates sand. So please stop lying, Anon.

Holy fuck who wrote this fuckin dialog.
>>
>>64162471
Not in episode 1
>>
>>64163234
Me on the right

I don't like sand either tbqh family
>>
>>64162285
and Anakin was shit

NEXT!
>>
>>64162285
>"/tv/ and other fedoratards bitching about Rey being a "Mary Sue" despite not being useless while having a vagina"

Did you remember to turn off your brain before writing this incoherent sentence, Starshill?
>>
>>64162736
he was a cunning warrior
>>
File: sfu.png (245 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
sfu.png
245 KB, 500x379
>>64162285
must be why everyone loved the prequels so much, ya dumdum

>manchildren in charge of logic
>>
>>64162285
So Rey is self-taight at using the force, dueling, sniping, engineering, piloting and moreover she's nore competent than respective adepts and professionals the first time she tries. She's been a victim all her life and she lacks any evidence of pull toward the Dark Side. Now gets to be jedi Han Solo, the first person to find Skywalker, and this is still the first film in the sequel to the ot.
It's not enough to have a convenient back story; there needs to be room for actual character development.
The Rebels should just place her charge of everything.
>>
>>64162440
You forgot
>anakin in episode 1
>destroys an entire space fleet almost singlehandedly as an 8 year old boy
>has never flown in space before this
>has never flown anything besides his pod racer

This is ten times more bullshit than Rey mind tricking some low ranking grunt and beating a wounded over confident dumbass in a fight.

Also
>Rey was abandoned by family
>lived alone with no friends

Not exactly perfect. Also does anyone remember the scene where alien man tells some dudes to go after her for bb-8 when she wont sell it? Did anything come of that it was it just a completely pointless scene? I can't remember
>>
>>64163863

He accidentally destroys 1 ship. He also wins 1 pod race after they make a huge deal out of the fact he never even finished a race before that day, let alone one.

His entire character is built out of failure. A slave, born on a shit world, who leaves his mother as a slave, who does basically nothing but not die in the first movie

who is also basically universally reviled to point the actor pimp slaps his greedy mother and is now a prison bitch.
>>
>>64163863
>This is ten times more bullshit than Rey mind tricking some low ranking grunt and beating a wounded over confident dumbass in a fight.

Anakin's portrayal was one of the most hated things about the prequels. Rey doesn't get a pass just because she has a bagina.
>>
>>64163960

one - won
>>
>>64163863
>Also does anyone remember the scene where alien man tells some dudes to go after her for bb-8 when she wont sell it? Did anything come of that it was it just a completely pointless scene? I can't remember
She beats up like 4 dudes who try to take BB8 from her.
>>
>>64164044
Oh ok I guess the order shows up at the same time? I just remember that scene being them running from the order
>>
>>64163994
I never said she got a pass I'm just saying that shitting on her while defending anakin is retarded. The instant mind trick was pretty shitty, but it's not as bad as destroying a gigantic empire spaceship as a literal child.
>>
>>64164088
Pretty much, yeah. Finn sees the guys trying to take BB8 and starts going to assist, then Rey kicks their asses, and TNO shows up immediately following.
>>
>>64162285
I don't think you understand what a mary sue is
>>
>>64164174

People wanted to cut his inclusion almost entirely except for pod racing.
>>
File: 1414479956430.gif (2 MB, 268x200) Image search: [Google]
1414479956430.gif
2 MB, 268x200
>>64162285
>shitpost
>b8
>trash
>>
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 719x1111) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 719x1111
What would have been so bad about Rey fighting Ren for a little while...doing okay but basically almost losing ...then the earth quake caused them to seperate and chewie saving her?

Wouldn't that make their next confrontation more dramatic? Just seems like basic screenwriting (unless kylo ends up becoming good and Ray turns bad)

JJ was never great and lacks any artistic integrity but he has never been incompetent
>>
>>64162285
>>Luke Skywalker became the best jedi in a short span time
What? He was a shit Jedi in The Empire Strikes Back. He was much better in Return of the Jedi but he still wasn't the best, he was able to beat Vader only because he gave into his rage.
>>
>>64162285
>edgy genocidal entitled maniac that gets his ass kicked by Obi-Wan is a Mary Sue
u wot, being a Mary Sue isn't just about being strong, it also relates to your personality.
>>
File: Screenshot (2867).png (2 MB, 738x2024) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (2867).png
2 MB, 738x2024
>>64162285
>>
She isn't a Mary Sue - she clumsily bumbles through the entire movie.

She had been on the Falcon and repaired it before she got on it in the movie. Her and Han discuss changes that were made, and she was under the care of the rations guy, who owned the ship.

Her lightsaber skills were absolute shit. All she tried to do is poke the guy and defended herself. Until she allowed the force to assist her, she was trash.

She also claims she's a pilot from the get-go, and they don't go into any depth on how she learned, but I'm not sure that holds too much weight.
>>
>>64164270
Damn, that furry faggot sure is mad
>>
>>64164294
>Until she allowed the force to assist her
It took luke 2 episodes of supervision under jedi masters to learn he could move his lightsaber with the force, and she's using mind tricks to escape like it's something that doesn't require any skill at all.
>>
>>64164667
She must have a pretty high medichlorian count, bro.
>>
>>64162285
Anakin got his ass kicked by the first Sith he met.
>>
>>64164294
>she clumsily bumbles through the entire movie.
With zero consequence while displaying unusual competence in nearly everything she does. Whether she's a "Mary Sue" or not doesn't matter to me. The issue is that she's a boring protagonist and the movie rarely has any tension when she's the center of attention.

When she's attacked by the goons on Jakku she handles them easily, she's able to perform highly advanced manuevers in the Millenium Falcon, she's able to take care of the stormtroopers that cornered her with ease (despite clearly never having used a blaster before), she's able to outdo Kylo Ren at his own mind-probing, she's able to use a mind trick on a storm trooper to release herself from capture on the second try, and she even ends up wrecking Kylo Ren (after suddenly remembering that the Force exists, I guess).

Every situation she gets in she just "undoes." And because of the breakneck pacing of the film she barely has any personality anyway, which doesn't help. And of course Han Solo and Chewbacca are very fond of her and Finn loves her. We never see her struggle towards anything, or work for anything. We do see her come to grips with her new role and a new sense of purpose, but that's not enough to hang a character on when there wasn't much to her to begin with. The movie doesn't feel like a character working their way through a journey. It feels like a journey bending to fit the character. That's not satisfying to watch.
>>
File: 1367186481135.jpg (10 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1367186481135.jpg
10 KB, 251x242
i know, right!

its like everyone forgets when vader is about to kill obi-wan, but then luke force-pulls is saber from him and then beats him then force-mind-controls the stormtroppers to all drop their weapons then hops into the MF and out-flys han!
>>
>>64164916
Do you somehow think this is unintentional? It's very clear she is meant to be competent as someone who is clearly *very* force sensitive.

Personally, I think the story was more about Kylo than Rey.
>>
File: 1408571033874.jpg (52 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1408571033874.jpg
52 KB, 640x427
>>64165044
>b-but she's an intentionally shit character!!1
>>
Being the "chosen one" or naturally talented doesn't make a character a Mary Sue. Being great at everything you try and lacking any flaws makes a character a Mary Sue.

Rey isn't perfect, but she has a noticeable habit of succeeding on her first attempt. She can out-Millennium-Falcon Han Solo. She can win at lightsaber combat after picking one up for the first time moments ago. She can Jedi mind trick people without training, after learning the force even existed less than a week ago.

I know she's going to turn out to be Luke Skywalker's daughter or something, but if she got dumped on a planet by herself as a kid she shouldn't have training, so it pretty well trivializes what used to be impressive feats of space-magic.
>>
>>64165044
It doesn't matter whether it's intentional or not, though the movie overtly hints that there's more to Rey than meets the eye. They could've outright declared her a Force Deity but the problem remains. It's still a boring movie, and no matter what explanation we get in the following two movies TFA will remain a boring, poorly paced movie with a dull protagonist.
>Personally, I think the story was more about Kylo than Rey.
If only.
>>
>>64163088

He was 9 when the Jedi took him and he never saw his mother again for ten years because the Jedi forbade him.

>>64163234
>But Padme got seduced by Anakin talking about how he hates sand. So please stop lying, Anon.

No, anon, it's true. Anakin backed off and then Padme freaked out cause she didn't want to die without a boyfriend because she's spent her whole life rejecting her desire for a normal apolitical life with a family of her own because she has worked painstakingly to serve the Republic even against her own desires for happiness.

She saw this monk kid wanted and leaned in for the kill, both in your pic and on geonosis. George is telling you to never love you a hoe.

Not only that but molestin monks aside, it's Padme's fault there's a Separatist Alliance to begin with and that Jar Jar was a representative where he could propose giving the chancellor emergency powers in her stead.

>Holy fuck who wrote this fuckin dialog.

I never got what the thing is about the sand line that people have. Sure it's a little awkwardly delivered, but he's not just talking about sand. for the fuck of it. Padme was talking about playing on the beach in the sand and shit all he could think about when she was talking about sand was living on a shitty planet like Tatooine where it's far from fun living around a bunch fucking sand.
>>
>>64163330
kek
>>
Everyone seems to forget that to be mary sue, lots of the other characters habe to love them and think they are great. Anakin got shat on
>>
>>64162285
>reddit not getting the definition of a Mary Sue.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.