[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what happened to these things which the Republic had a fuckton
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: e6d_ia_2581_47f64de7[1].jpg (167 KB, 1934x802) Image search: [Google]
e6d_ia_2581_47f64de7[1].jpg
167 KB, 1934x802
So what happened to these things which the Republic had a fuckton of? They should also have large numbers of Imperial Star Destroyers at their disposal

Why is Leia leading a ragtag resistance group instead of a massive fleet that the Republic DOES have?
>>
>>64156646
Probably all got blown up in the Hosnian system
>>
>>64156646
Because the New Republic officially doesn't support war against the First Order.
Don't ask why, they just don't. So Leia has to make do with what she can get.
Not to mention Starkiler destroyed the New Republic fleet, which included the ships you mentioned.
>>
Mon Mothma scaled the army down cos reasons plus empire remnants weren't doing jack for ages
Look at real world - if it wasn't for China and then Adolf Putin America would be downscaling its army a lot more - unless someone created a reason to keep weapons makers in power by some global terrorism movement
Of course you'd need a friendly bunch of merchants in the region known for infiltration of their enemy neighbours like in the Lavon affair
>>
>>64156729
>New Republic officially doesn't support war against the First Order.
>guys we're totally not at war with you
>that armed outfit fighting you that is led by one of our senators and hero of the Republic? Well thats totally not us

This is unbelievably retarded writing
>>
>>64156880
>Adolf Putin

Media control is real
>>
>>64156646

Republic has a truce with the Empire. Peace lasted for over 20 years. Politicians don't want another war.

Leia made Resistance because she knew Empire is going to attack them again.
>>
>>64156924

Empire is Russia, First Order is North Vietnam. Republic is USA, Resistance is South Vietnam.

Get it now?
>>
>>64156924
Leia isn't a senator.
>>
>>64156646
Better question yet :
If they brought the Rebublic back, and the First Order is an opposing group, and the Resistance part of the regular army, WHY THE SHIT ARE THEY CALLED THE RESISTANCE?
I swear, Jar Jar Abrams tried so hard to make pottery, he forgot to make sense.
>>
>>64156646
Weak space hippies are in control after all the bloodthirsty rebels died doing cool shit like kamikaze their Y-Wings into Empire Hospitals
>>
I know this is bait, but I'll toss you a bone in case it isn't:

Most of the Rebellions fleet were actually converted Mon Calamari ships, Admiral Ackbar's race. After the Empire "collapsed" they went back to using the frigates for their original purpose, which was to haul water.

As for the Star Destroyers and whatnot that the Republic controlled before that, they were mostly destroyed in the Rebellion.
>>
>>64157175
Why didn't the Republic then move on and give itself an actual defense force? If a group like the First Order can create planet-sized weapons, then clearly they need some firepower to protect themselves, and 10 X-wing isn't really enough.
Why doesn't the Republic have a regular standing army?
Why doesn't the Republic have a profesionnal fleet?
How could they even let something as big and clearly illegal as the First Order grow for decades?
>>
>>64157074

Because they are not a part of the regular army.
>>
>>64157286

You see their fleet getting fucked when Starkiller blows up their planet.
>>
Literally a line in the movie saying they're toast without the republic fleet.

So there's a republic fleet, but it's not in first order territory / outer reaches.

Do you fucking people watch the movies you watch?
>>
Dark Empire was so better, TFA is beyond shitty.
>>
>>64156646
that's what happens when you make hyperspace instantaneous
>>
>>64157562
>have generals and admirals from the Republic
>not part of the army
uh
>>
>>64157018
Dude, 'Nam wasn't solely a proxy war, for one thing. The Soviets didn't start aiding the North Vietnamese until 1960 (declassified USSR documents since after dissolution reveal this), while US involvement started with supporting the French in 1950, when the area was still French Indochina. South Vietnam started bombing the North in acts of one-sided aggression starting in 53-54.

Second, it's more like the Republic is North Vietnam and the Resistance is Viet Cong, while the First Order is South Vietnam. The First Order controls a part of space, and the Resistance is the segment of the Republic that fights discreetly using guerrilla methods in areas under First Order jurisdiction. The First Order controls less developed territory than the Republic, but it has built a superweapon which can destroy star systems, which the Republic didn't foresee. The Republic probably can't engage in total war with the First Order because either it would stretch its resources, or it already controls all the territory it could gain without necessitating the use of guerrilla methods, considering the First Order seems to have a very strong and thorough grip on the territories it controls. It's pretty similar to Vietnam, now that I think about it, but not in the way you pointed out.
>>
>>64156646
>the good guys HAVE to be the underdog
I liked the movie but I hate this shit so much
>>
>>64156646

The Repubic and the Empire signed a treaty to effectively disarm after the war, this was pushed forward by Mon Mothma who didn't want the New Republic becoming another Empire and repeating the same mistakes. So the Republic had a small fleet around the time of TFA.

The First Order is a zealous reformer subset of the Empire that like the Nazi Party in post WWI germany grew and grew until it ate the entire Empire and started rebuilding for war.

The Republic didn't think that the First Order was going to start another conflict. Much like the UK in the 1930's people were hesitant to make a move against this rising regime because they figured that peace was still an option and the anti-war sentiment was still very high.

The Resistance is literally just Leia's private military organization. She called in some favors from friends, talked akbar out of retirement and bought a few dozen new Incom x-wings and generally annoys the hell out of the First Order because they seem to have an idea of what the First Order is up to (no good).

The Republic, and it's fleet were both destroyed in TFA by the starkiller and now the First Order can pretty much just roll up to coruscant unopposed.
>>
>>64156646
I hope there are more Imperial factions instead of just the First Order but I doubt it, it would be cool to have a technocracy that doesn't want anything to do with the Dark Side, like the Imperial Remnant.
>>
>>64159864
>Republic and Empire disarm themselves
>In a world where a random trade federation could amass a galaxy threatening millitary force within a few years.
They're just begging to get fucked up the ass, aren't they?
>>
>>64156646

Removed so JarJar can "even playing field" between the new order and "resistance" and basically render everything in the original trilogy to be for nothing so the rebellion cann be made to have to struggle against an over-whelming force again
>>
>>64156880

>30 years
>Ages
>>
In modern day terms it's pretty much like turkey and ISIS. They fund, help and wan't them to win but won't openly admit it.
>>
>>64156646
>Why is Leia leading a ragtag resistance group instead of a massive fleet that the Republic DOES have?

Because the Republic is as the Republic always was: Slow to respond and bureaucratic. They don't want to openly acknowledge the threat of the First Order because they don't want a war with the larger Imperial Remnant.
>>
>>64160299
And to all convenient plot movement (there's a lot of convenience and coincidence in this POS) Coruscant the head of the republic gets destroyed by space-nazis, so now Leia's free to rebuild the fleet in the next movie
>>
I highly doubt the ENTIRE Republic fleet was wiped out but it does leave the galaxy in an awkward position where the political and military elite is wiped up and the Imperial fleet remnants just waiting at the truce lines.

In any case, I can dig that the Resistance had some Xwing hand me downs but ill be disappointed when the eventual big space battle, the new republic isnt rocking full of upgraded B wings and A wings.

In fact I want to see a re painted Super Star Destroyer with a giant resistance icon painted on it.
>>
>>64160357

It wasn't coruscant, it was "the hossnian system" which is the seat of power for the new republic. It's a little cheesy that the new Republic gets wiped out in a single blow, but it does open up some interesting possibilities.

The First Order isn't a galaxy-ruling entity. It's a small fanatical remnant of the Empire probably with a few dozen star destroyers and not a whole lot else considering that they probably poured all of their resources into creating another super-weapon.

So now you have a galaxy without a government with two much smaller than before factions fighting over it. Maybe we will see a rise of more pirate factions, maybe one of the old trade federations will make a vie for power, maybe the Vong will appear out of Rian Johnson's ass and tap-dance their way to coruscant.
>>
>>64156924

That's something that happens all the time in real life though. History is full of examples of countries funding rebellions against their enemies.
>>
>>64160552

>In fact I want to see a re painted Super Star Destroyer with a giant resistance icon painted on it.

I'd love for the Lusankya to be canon. I'd love even more for it to be revealed in Ep. VIII the same way it was in the books.

I'd have to imagine that in this new "disarmed" state of the galaxy where the Repuiblic has maybe a few small cruisers left and the First Order just has a dozen of their new star destroyers an old Imperial Super Star Destroyer would probably be quite the prize.
>>
>>64160561

Probably you'll see the First Order rallying the imperial parts and culling the weak and compromising Moffs who made a deal with the Republic.

The massive but out dated imperial fleet comes barreling down the galaxy as they attempt to conquer the old fashioned way.

However, the pluck New Republic unveils its new and sexier Mon Calamari Super Cruisers which dwarf even the Executor.
>>
>>64157858
Hyperspace is instantaneous in Star Wars. If you have a fleet of any kind you have infinite force projection. First Order should have been crushed the second construction of their super weapon began. Or at least just after they used it, not by a fucking rag tag group of losers with six x-wings, but by a full republic fleet responding to an act of military aggression that killed billions.
>>
>>64160858

Hyperspace is a plot device, it's as fast or as a slow as it needs to be.
>>
>>64156646
It's been 30 years. Why would they use 30 year old ships?
>>
>>64160858
>>64160935

Except no. Starships have Nav computers that calculate hyperspace in preparation for jumping.

It was only JJ who saw it fit to turn it into plot device. And honestly, one of the biggest dealbreakers for me. Jumping out of hangars is just fucking bullshit.
>>
>>64160935
that's always been my problem with star wars. It's not sci-fi, it's space fantasy. There are almost no rules that are consistent.
>>
>>64160936

>this is the kind of logic JJ & Disney praisers follow
>>
It is fine for the first movie that the New Republic was unable to assist the Resistance. They were at peace, and when command was blown up, they didn't have enough time to respond to the source - and those that were fast enough to would be destroyed by Starkillers unknown defences.
But from now on there isn't. Sure there will be anarchy, but no system is going to oppose assisting Resistance or remaining neutral to The Order. The Order has literally no allies.
>>
>>64161112
>logic
yes i use logic give me a reason why they would use ships that are 30 years behind on a technological level
>>
>>64161182
>B-52 bombers and PBY Catalina are still in use today
>>
>>64157609
So they only have one fucking fleet to police half a galaxy?
>>
>>64161684
>compares real life to a fictional universe
top banter desu senpai baka
>>
>>64161182

And what should they do with their fleets every 30 years? Leave them on a space museum and build new ones?

How come, then, all the ships that appear in TFA are painted X-Wings and TIE Fighters (which are 30 years old at least, just like the rest of the fleet).

How come, then, is the Millenium Falcon, way older than 30 years, still able to put a fight while being "behind on a technological level".

Your "30 years rule" is just a retarded attempt to justify JJ & Disney's bullshit.
>>
>>64156646
They needed a reason to make the good guys look like the underdogs again
>>
>>64161731

It will be explained on following movies :^)

Leave your brain behind
>>
>>64161774
Because the X-Wings and TIE Fighters obviously look different, probably advanced and better than the OT versions. Millenium Falcon is an exeption since and you know it.
>>
File: top gun.jpg (17 KB, 288x287) Image search: [Google]
top gun.jpg
17 KB, 288x287
>5 X-Wings get shot down
>OH NO, THAT WAS HALF OUR FLEET
>>
>>64161182
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Cost efficiency.
easier to form new operators if the instructors are more familiar with the stuff they use
Build less ships, save money
Technological peak
Some stuff, like transorts, age well
>>
>>64156646
So how long does it take to build one of these fucking things?

Things are huge as fuck to where you can have space battles in them and they look bigger than most skyscrapers.
>>
>>64161880

They were just PAINTED.

In an horrible way from an aesthetic point of view. Just like the new helmets for the Resistance (and even the FO, they had better concepts in the art book). Shit was screaming "edgy".
>>
>>64160858

First of all how do you know that somebody started building a superweapon? Starkiller was build in secret.

And no, you can't just instantly use an army when you are a democratic government. That's not how it works. Especially since your government just died along your capital.
>>
File: F-16_Fighting_Falcon.jpg (714 KB, 2792x1627) Image search: [Google]
F-16_Fighting_Falcon.jpg
714 KB, 2792x1627
>>64161182
>why they would use ships that are 30 years behind on a technological level

This thing is still the main fighter plane of USAF after almost 50 years.
>>
>>64161998

>Both FO and Resistance have spies in every space reggae pub in the middle of nowhere but Resistance spies can't get to know where all the First Order's budget has been going these 30 years even when it's a planet-size death star

Leave your brain behind
>>
>>64161931
>droids can work 24/7 without any break, and work faster than humans, in worse condition
>including spacedocks
That should speed up the process a lot.

>>64161964
(not true by the way)
The X-wing were clearly a new model, as shown by the shape of the turbines on the wings (now have a half-circle on each wing instead of a full turbine).
The Tie was probably an upgraded version too since the average fighter now has a two man crew with a pilot and a gunner, whereas the first had one man doing everything.
>>
>>64161998
>And no, you can't just instantly use an army when you are a democratic government. That's not how it works.
>real life politics in children's movie

wew lad
>>
>>64160668
> I'd love even more for it to be revealed in Ep. VIII the same way it was in the books.

Coming out of a planet, killing millions of people? Is regarded as the most retarded moment of the Legends EU, which is really saying something.
>>
My understanding is that the FO is largely based in an uncharted no man's land that belongs to neither the Republic or the Imperial remnants.

So even though that weapon was hax as fuck, losing it wasn't TOO big a deal, because they did so much damage against the Republic and still have a lot of hardware waiting in the shadows. This is a lot like eps 4/5 of course; but the Death Star only blew up in 4 because Lucas was told to cut his script down so the whole story would fit in one movie. There would have only been one Death Star if he didn't have to go through studio executives.
>>
>>64156646
they literally show capitol ships orbiting the capitol planet of the new republic being vaporised by the starkiller
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.