[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else can't wait until Episode VII comes out on Blu-Ray
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 18
Who else can't wait until Episode VII comes out on Blu-Ray and everyone begins to realize how mediocre it is?

If your entire movie's strengths rely on nostalgia for older movies then it is impossible for it to stand the test of time. In theaters the reaction is hugely positive because nostalgia does that, but nostalgia has a short half-life and once VII is sitting on the shelf next to the OT what will make it stand apart? Nothing, because it offers nothing new.

The most offensive part is how shallow it is. Abrams didn't even attempt to replicate the real magic of the original trilogy. When you get past the cool shit like X-Wings, lightsabers, Darth Vader and the Death Star and get into the inner workings of the movies TFA has almost nothing in common with them. There is no sense of wonder or discovery, because everything we see in the movie is either old or a rehash of the old. And structurally it relies much more on action to keep the pace up rather than letting the story progress at a natural pace.

The original movies are actually pretty slowly paced. Action is used as punctuation, everything in-between is character development, plot progression and world exploration as the story ramps up (this is especially true of the first two movies). We're given time to absorb, process and appreciate what we're seeing and hearing. The Force Awakens opens with explosive back to back action sequences, and not long after has another set of action sequences. Compared to the original movies thats extremely out of place and disorienting.

But apparently all people care about when they watch Star Wars is TIE fighters and X-Wings. We'll see if thats the case a year from now.
>>
>>64142519
>IT AINT SHEEV
>>
I hope the special features have some good stuff. I need more shitposting material.
>>
Right away that shot of the tie fighters in the distance looked off

It looks fucking stupid. People made better material in those fan short film competitions held a long ass time ago
>>
It's already happening. Normies are starting to turn on it aswell.
>>
File: 1443464050988.jpg (30 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1443464050988.jpg
30 KB, 514x536
>>
ARtbook ebook where
>>
>>64142613
source?
>>
I think the fact that so many people are going for repeat viewings and coming out enjoying the movie even more goes against your prediction.

Also, no shit it's not as good as the original trilogy. Wow, who could've predicted a sequel wouldn't be as good as the most beloved trilogy in cinema? It's just a fun, solid modern continuation. That's all anyone realistically wanted. It's fucking hilarious seeing autists think that they're intellectually superior for disliking TFA. No, you're not smarter than the "plebs". You're just an overcritical killjoy.

It's "shallow"? It's fucking Star Wars. Darth Vader is a mustache-twirling cartoon villain.
>>
I think it's going to depend on the next movie whether this one can stand the test of time. If Rey is a mary sue again and doesn't get any sort of comeuppance it'll weaken considerably.
>>
>>64142679
The only people who defend tfa are people who don't even like Star Wars, because their defense for tfa awakens is always "it's just Star Wars, it sucks anyways"

It is objective fact that episode vii is the worst, and is nothing like the rest. You have people like JJ fucking abrams making up the new storyline for Star Wars as they go.

All that had to be done was to follow the story that's been in the works for over 3 fucking decades. Instead it was thrown out so that "creative" hacks can play it by ear.
>>
>>64142865
>It is objective fact that episode vii is the worst,
You need to watch Attack of the Clones again. I might have said the same as you a week ago, but then I rewatched it and I was appalled.
>>
i'm hoping for an extended edition senpai
>>
>>64142679
The thing is kids who haven't watched the original trilogy aren't going to get anything out of the newer ones. JJ Abrams could have initiated an entire generation of kids into the light side of the force but instead they're gonna watch Harry Potter and become Satan worshipers.
>>
Star wars was originally a space opera and jj turned it into you run of the mill sci fi action blockbuster. That basically sums up how the new movie feels nothing like the real star wars movies
>>
>>64142660
Just listen to what people are saying. They're turning on it.
>>
>>64142679
>I think the fact that so many people are going for repeat viewings and coming out enjoying the movie even more goes against your prediction.

Not really, because they're still riding the hype.

>Wow, who could've predicted a sequel wouldn't be as good as the most beloved trilogy in cinema?

It could easily have been as good, or better. Even in 1980 they managed to make a better movie than the last one. But JJ didn't care because he doesn't seem to understand why Star Wars was good.

>It's "shallow"? It's fucking Star Wars.

I wasn't criticizing it for being a shallow movie, I was criticizing it for being a shallow imitation.

>>64142688
>If Rey is a mary sue again and doesn't get any sort of comeuppance it'll weaken considerably.

Thats pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things. It's Star Wars, theres a lot of goofy shit like that.

What will weaken this movie's reputation is that it makes bank just because of the thrill of seeing stuff from the old Star Wars movies again. It doesn't introduce anything new, and even the story is a straight rehash of ANH (with alterations that make it worse), but it's exciting to watch because this is the first time we've seen anything even remotely similar to the OT in over 30 years. But what happens when theres a bunch of new Star Wars movie and this movie no longer has that appeal? We'll get to a point where we'll see X-Wing and TIE Fighter stuff every year, so that nostalgic impact will die down. And without nostalgia, what does this movie have going for it?
>>
>>64142530
>I AIN'T NO SENATOR, SON
>>
New X wings look terrible. They look like shit versions of the Z 95 head hunter, Which is an outdated fighter that was DESIGNED to look outdated in comparison to the X wing
>>
Most criticism I've seen about this movie are either
>Bigger death star
>Mary Sue
>Literal autism
Since the first two are already evident I don't see it happening, if anything it gets better with more views cause you don't give a fuck about the plot being fresh
>>
>>64143497
Scissored S-Foils say fuck you, it's like the Headhunter and T-65 had a beautiful baby
>>
>>64142519

my mom (who saw ANH on my parents' first movie date) hated it because of this

"they didn't come up with anything new"
"seemed like they rushed it"
"i didn't think they were very creative, they could have been"
"everything was just a rehash of the original ones"

although she also cried when Han died so there's that
>>
>>64142519
i haven't watched the other movies and thought it was great.

people can like things that you don't, anon and that's just fine.
>>
>>64143635
>"they didn't come up with anything new"
Except for all those new aliens we ain't never seen before, the First Order, the Resistance, the Knights of Ren, Snoke, Force Timestop, Force Mindrape, lightclaymore, BB-8, the new planets, the new bar, and other stuff I've probably forgotten.

>"seemed like they rushed it"
Not every film can be Lord of the Rings long. I'll agree that it felt a bit faster in pace, but a strong flaw in the original trilogy, especially Empire, is the poor pacing.

>"i didn't think they were very creative, they could have been"
You should be more creative, Anon's Mom. You already made this complaint.

>"everything was just a rehash of the originals"
Again, same complaint you've already made. Be original and come up with a new complaint, Anon's Mom.
>>
>>64143745
>Be original
Tell that to Disney.
>>
>>64143745
>the First Order

You mean the Empire

>the Resistance

You mean the Rebel Alliance

>the Knights of Ren

You mean the Sith

>Snoke

You mean Sheev

>Force Timestop
>Force Mindrape

The Force isn't new

>lightclaymore

Lightsabers aren't new

>BB-8

You mean R2-D2

>the new planets

You mean Tatooine, Hoth and Endor

>the new bar

You mean the Mos Eisley cantina

None of this shit was new, it was just old shit with a new coat of paint.

>but a strong flaw in the original trilogy, especially Empire, is the poor pacing

The pacing is a big part of why the OT, especially Empire, are so watchable
>>
>>64143796
As I've already illustrated, Disney has done new things with the Star Wars franchise. Come up with actually valid complaints.
>>
>>64143918
Just because they came up with some new shit doesn't change any of the complaints that the movie is too similar to ANH and too safe.
>>
>>64143914
This might come as a shock to you anon but
Bearing slight, surface-level similarity=/=the exact same
>>
>>64143914
>None of this shit was new, it was just old shit with a new coat of paint.
Except all of that was brand new. Can you compare it to things in the old films? Yeah, and that's because, if it were completely alien and different, it wouldn't be Star Wars any more, now would it? The whole point is to give people something that feels like Star Wars. Otherwise, name the movie something else and create a new IP.

>The pacing is a big part of why the OT, especially Empire, are so watchable
Are so unwatchable, you mean.

Those movies are so fucking slow. I'd love for Disney to edit them down to a 90 or 60 minute version where we don't waste time waiting for shit to finally happen.
>>
>>64143945
The film has the same plot as ANH. The script is basically a madlib of ANH. At the same time, they managed to take that and do something similar but different enough.

If your major complaint is that a Star Wars film is too much like a Star Wars film, then you don't really have much of a complaint, now do you?
>>
>>64143988
How is The First Order different from the Empire save a slight change in power status (which is weird since even the Empire at its prime could only build one smaller Death Star)?
>>
>>64144039
>The film has the same plot as ANH
ANH was about a stormtrooper deserter, a mindwiped padawan, and a villain trying to resolve his inner conflict?
>>
>>64144039
>If your major complaint is that a Star Wars film is too much like a Star Wars film
What an idiotic fucking statement. So a copypaste is fine just because it's Star Wars? What kind of faggot mentality is that? Why even make a new movie if you're just shooting the old script again?
>>
>>64144050
We don't know nearly anything about it, outside of the fact that it shares some surface-level similarities to the Empire, on account of being a direct continuation.
How is Jakku similar to Tatooine outside of being a desert planet?
>>
>>64144075
>stormtrooper deserter
Han Solo was a former stormtrooper.

>a mindwiped padawan
Is that what MaRey Sue is supposed to be? As far as we know, she's a person with potential in the Force (aka Luke).

>a villain trying to resolve his inner conflict
Darth Vader finally defeating his former master, the one who bested him years ago and put him in that suit.
>>
>>64144108
So you agree what we know about The Order (which is a fuck-ton actually) is actually pretty similar to the Empire? Or are you going to wait on judgement until you see how New Order maintains proper hygiene among stormtroopers?

And why are you using Jakku which is Tatooine copypaste to prove your point? It does the opposite.
>>
>>64143988
>Bearing slight, surface-level similarity=/=the exact same

Except it's the inverse, dingus. On the surface the First Order and the Empire aren't the same thing, But functionally they are exactly the same.

>>64143995
>Otherwise, name the movie something else and create a new IP.

I wasn't saying they shouldn't have done what they did by reworking those elements. But if you look at those things for what they are - the old shit with a new coat of paint - then they don't count as new things. So if you look at what things are actually new, there really aren't any.

It's totally barebones. Even A New Hope had cool shit like Jawas and Sand People, alien species that have some loosely sketched-in cultures. What did TFA have? A couple of CGI monsters in Han Solo's cargo hold I guess.

>>64144108
>How is Jakku similar to Tatooine outside of being a desert planet?

"Desert planet" is 100% of what Tatooine is. So Jakku being a desert planet means it's nothing but a rehash of Tatooine.
>>
>>64144147
>Han Solo was a former stormtrooper.
Since when
>Is that what MaRey Sue is supposed to be?
Yes according to leaks and common sense, it's beyond obvious that she isn't just a scavenger.
>Darth Vader finally defeating his former master, the one who bested him years ago and put him in that suit.
That's not the same at all, nor do we know all that shit without relying on the prequels
>>
>>64143995

>a franchise is just the same shit story and characters repeated over and over for billions of dollars
>change a couple of names around, make stuff slightly different but basically the fucking same forever

There's carrying thematic theme and elements from the original movies, and then there's straight up aping it for fear of making things "too different" for audiences to handle.

There's no point in making a sequel if you have nothing new to say, it's literally Empire Remnants/Worshipers vs. Rebels all over again. Right down to the massive, poorly constructed super-weapon, old guy getting dramatically killed by someone who used to respect him, totally-not-Tatooine totally-not- Hoth planets etc.... The list goes on.
>>
>>64144083
>copypaste is fine just because it's Star Wars?
It's fine for a Star Wars film to be like a Star Wars film. In fact, that's preferred.

>Why even make a new movie
Money. Plus people want to see a new one that's like the one's they saw before.

It seems like the concept of a "sequel" is new to you, but lemme spell it out: when you do a sequel, the best formula is "same but different." You do thing similar to how you did them before, but also a little different. This is because audiences come in with expectations. They expect to see a Star Wars film. If you do something wildly different, you fail to meet their expectations, and even if the new movie is good, they don't like it because they didn't get what they wanted. It's like going to the store to buy a car, and the guy tries to sell you a month's supply of yogurt. Yeah, the yogurt might taste nice, but you're there for a car, so chances are, you'll leave without buying anything.
>>
>>64144214
>Money. Plus people want to see a new one that's like the one's they saw before.
Not me. I know some liked it for being copypaste of ANH but those people are probably also pleased by Marvel capeshit. Doesn't mean either is good.
>>
>>64144185
>
So you agree what we know about The Order (which is a fuck-ton actually) is actually pretty similar to the Empire? Or are you going to wait on judgement until you see how New Order maintains proper hygiene among stormtroopers?
Yes. For starters I'm interested in knowing if the vastly human Order is aware it's being ruled by an alien or if Snoke is working from the shadows.
>And why are you using Jakku which is Tatooine copypaste to prove your point? It does the opposite.
Tatooine is the home of simple farmers and sand people tribes, Jakku as far as we can tell is inhabited by the scum of the earth, people who barely make enough to eat by scavenging the remains of shipwrecks and robbing one another
>>
File: Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg (398 KB, 1369x2125) Image search: [Google]
Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg
398 KB, 1369x2125
>>64144214
>when you do a sequel, the best formula is "same but different." You do thing similar to how you did them before, but also a little different.

You must be a retarded person.

1) Pic related

2) As explained in the OP, TFA is not similar to the previous three movies. It just has a Star Wars coat of paint.
>>
>>64144203
>Since when
Since they wrote his backstory ages ago.

>Yes according to leaks and common sense, it's beyond obvious that she isn't just a scavenger.
So according to unsubstantiated rumors, she was a mindwiped padawan. The same sort of rumors that peg her as the daughter of Solo and Leia, or the daughter of Luke. The same sort of rumors that were sure Chewbacca or Luke would die in this one.

In other words, according to bullshit.

>That's not the same at all, nor do we know all that shit without relying on the prequels
The prequels exist, though. Even without them, Darth Vader makes it clear that he's facing his former master within the film. It's clear through their dialogue that they have a lot of history together, and that, in that fight, Vader is proving himself. You can argue Vader's internal conflict is a lot more subtle, but it's still very much there.
>>
>>64144270
>Empire
Empire was actually not well-received in its time, and was considered the weakest of the films until Kevin Smith decided to be a contrarian about them. Get off Kevin Smith's dick and realize Empire is a film with a few choice scenes but otherwise deeply flawed.

I mean, hell, I like Temple of Doom, it's a film that takes a lot of chances and does things way differently, but I also realize I'm in the minority. Most people want a sequel to be same but different. Hating on a sequel for following this is absolutely dumb.
>>
>>64144301
>Since they wrote his backstory ages ago.
EU bs doesn't count
>In other words, according to bullshit.
Yes she's clearly just a random scavenger who arrived to Jakku from the void
>You can argue Vader's internal conflict is a lot more subtle, but it's still very much there.
He doesn't sound conflicted at all. It's the opposite if anything, he calls himself "the master", making it clear he resolved whatever issues he had and was ready to kick some Jedi ass.
>>
File: ted_cruz7.jpg (351 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
ted_cruz7.jpg
351 KB, 750x500
>>64143635
>a menopausal woman crying
>being impressed by this
>>
>>64144263
>Jakku as far as we can tell is inhabited by the scum of the earth,
Did you miss the cantina scene in ANH? Or the sand people?
>>
File: the farce awakens.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
the farce awakens.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
What a ground-breaking and awe-inspiring movie TFA is. I'm so glad a new generation of fans gets to see the exact movie we did years ago but with some SJW bullshit on top of it.
>>
>>64142519
Good post OP.

But you're wrong; the majority of people will not realise the movie's mediocrity. Fans are desperate to like this film. They've already made their minds up that it's great.
>>
>>64144377
>EU bs doesn't count
Why? Legends still exist. They're just doing different things with the story. Some of the old EU is a part of the current canon, so it's still possible he used to be a stormtrooper at some point.

>Yes she's clearly just a random scavenger who arrived to Jakku from the void
"The only two options are my bullshit explanation or that she's just a random scavenger." Wrong. She could be a lot of things. Right now, all we know is that she's a young person with a deeper past than we know who can use the Force, who's also from a desert planet. That's Luke's character.

>He doesn't sound conflicted at all.
Sorry he didn't have a scene where he talks to a helmet to spell it out for you. Sorry the movie has to dumb things down for you that much for you to understand them.

Star Wars isn't that complex, dude. Get over it.
>>
>>64144406
The sand people are an organized tribe who sometimes raids other people, they're basically bedouins, the cantina is just a rough bar. It's not the same at all as an entire planet that gets the response of "Jakku?! Why would you want to go there?" every time it's mentioned. Jakku is another level of shithole.
>>
>>64143995
calm down jay jay
>>
>>64142679
>Darth Vader is a mustache-twirling cartoon villain.

Have you seen the movies m8? Do you know what that phrase means?
>>
>>64144376
If they had taken risks and done something vastly different with The Force Awakens, yes, people would have hated it, and it would have been devastating to the franchise. The mixed reaction (or flat out negative reaction) would have hurt their ability to continue to make these films.

At the end of the day, Star Wars isn't art, it isn't about taking risks. Star Wars is fun space adventure films that also sell toys. Taking a risk and doing this differently would have been the dumbest thing they could have possible done.

Now that the franchise has been successfully relaunched, it sounds like they're going to try to take risks with the new films. The Rogue Squadron one especially sounds like something new and different.
>>
>>64144481
>Why? Legends still exist. They're just doing different things with the story. Some of the old EU is a part of the current canon, so it's still possible he used to be a stormtrooper at some point.
Because it has nothing to do with the movie directly obviously, it's an asspull. It's ridiculous that you're arguing this shit with a straight face, unless you're baiting.
>Right now, all we know is that she's a young person with a deeper past than we know who can use the Force, who's also from a desert planet. That's Luke's character.
We know what Luke's past was, we're just not told Anakin=Darth Vader.
>Sorry he didn't have a scene where he talks to a helmet to spell it out for you. Sorry the movie has to dumb things down for you that much for you to understand them.
Sorry you're inventing a conflict where it doesn't exist. Sorry you have an autistic devotion to mainting an argument while you're getting your ass handed to you so badly you need to rely on pulling EU bullshit.
>>
>>64142679
>I think the fact that so many people are going for repeat viewings and coming out enjoying the movie even more goes against your prediction.
Haha idiot. People did that for Phantom Menace too.
>>
>>64143546
>beat-for-beat remake of ANH
>endless pandering and fan service
>uninspired direction and photography
>completely underwhelming score
>terrible pacing (after Jakku)
>some bad characterisation
>>
>>64142519
>Hey guys, I just came here to tell you guys how much this movie sucked and how I hope people don't enjoy it, because I didn't

I'm really quite sick of 1/2 the threads on /tv/ being shitposts about how much they hate the new popular movie and no one else is allowed to like it, or they are bad people.
>>
>>64144576
Holy shit you can come up with a new story without it being some ground-breaking arthouse cinema for fucks sake. Stop making Disney look like a victim of the modern audience when it's Disney that has turned the modern audience into retards.

>Star Wars is fun space adventure films
Not according to its very fucking creator. And they sure as hell aren't just copypaste of older movies..

>The Rogue Squadron one especially sounds like something new and different.
How much is Disney paying you? Spit it out.
>>
>>64144075
>ANH was about a stormtrooper deserter, a mindwiped padawan, and a villain trying to resolve his inner conflict?
A kid from a desert planet who can use the Force and has a past the audience isn't fully told about, and old guy who is a connection to the past and guides the younger characters, and an untrustworthy but ultimately good guy who just wants to run away from the bad guys but in the end helps his new friend out. These characters are Luke, Kenobi, and Han Solo in ANH, and Rey, Han Solo, and Finn in TFA.

The old dude also dies in both.
>>
>>64144624
If you dislike comments you don't like, you can always head on back to Reddit where OP would be downvoted to Oblivion to preserve the sense of general agreement.
>>
>>64144624
Disney marketer.
>>
>>64143988
>Bearing slight, surface-level similarity

Come on, lad. Even those people that love the movie can recognise how unwilling it was to stray from the tried and tested plot points and imagery of the OT.

BB-8 was creative.
>>
>>64144665
Yeah, TFA is similar to ANH in the same way Han Solo is similar to Obi Wan, i.e. on the surface level a bit but really not at all
>>
>>64144667
fuck you I have a right to bitch and moan about the overly-negative faggots that bitch and moan
>>64144683
>If they express a supportive opinion of the thing I don't like, they must be a shill!
>>
>>64143995
>Those movies are so fucking slow. I'd love for Disney to edit them down to a 90 or 60 minute version where we don't waste time waiting for shit to finally happen.

Great bait. 8/8
>>
>>64144715
It's your inability to deal with criticism that ousts you as either Redditor or shill.
>>
>>64144639
>Not according to its very fucking creator.
Why would you trust Lucas about anything?

>And they sure as hell aren't just copypaste of older movies..
A New Hope is copypaste of The Hidden Fortress, with elements from other sources copypasted in (like Buster Crabbe's old Flash Gordon serial).
>>
>>64144748
>Why would you trust Lucas about anything?
Rather trust Lucas than a Disney shill sent here to shill for upcoming Star Wars shit.
>>
>>64144699
It uses similar elements for familiarty, but recomposes them to use a different story. At its heart it's different from Ep IV in the same way Han is different from Obi Wan, or Kylo is different from Vader.
>>
>>64144075
>a mindwiped padawan

Now you're projecting shit onto this movie to make it seem more interesting or not a rehash of OT.

Rey could be anybody at this point.
>>
>>64144707
Han Solo plays the same role in the story of TFA that Kenobi played in the story of ANH.

If you're trying to say the characters aren't the same, yes, you're correct. This isn't what's being argued, though. What has been said was that the stories are the same. And this is also correct.
>>
>>64144775
It's been confirmed through leaks. If she could be anybody, when did she see Kylo Ren butcher people?
>>
>>64144742
Your inability to deal with my inability to deal with criticism ousts you as either Reddit or shill
>>
>>64144770
>ignores the fact that anh was copypaste to go for an empty insult

Thank you for agreeing that ANH was also copypasta, Anon.
>>
>>64144795
>Han Solo plays the same role in the story of TFA that Kenobi played in the story of ANH.
Can you describe to me in a few words why that sentence isn't complete nonsense while making it seem like you actually watched TFA?
>>
>>64144667
I think we need a two week ban on Star Wars threads New Years Day. Its enough. Its like the new 'why are niggers bad?' on /pol/ level thread, I mean at a certain point its obviously just people who want an easy thread that gets guaranteed replies.
>>
>>64144611
>it's an asspull.
It's less of an asspull than "Rey is a mindwiped padawan," Anon.
>>
>>64144820
ANH atleast had the sense of putting it all in a new setting. TFA doesn't even do that. Literally same shit.
>>
>>64144214
Wow.
>>
>>64144214
>It's ok for Disney to be unimaginative fucks because people are retarded and buy into mass-marketed crap anyways
Got me good
>>
>>64142519
The only think that really bugged me about it was the Kylo Ren vs Rey mind-reading scene. It felt ripped straight out of Harry Potter.
>>
>>64144822
Han Solo and Kenobi both play the role of the older person who bridges the gap between the past for the new character(s). Both have a scene where they introduce the main character to the Force. Both help lead the new protagonist on his/her journey (which includes taking the new protagonist to a bar to secure flight to the Rebels/Resistance), only to ultimately die in front of the new protagonist. Kenobi is killed by his former student who was like a son or younger brother to him, while Han is killed by a man who is literally his son; both are evil men who wear all black and masks.
>>
>>64144859
>"Star Wars should have been put into a new setting!"

"Yeah, fuck Star Wars 7 for not being set in the wild west. Why'd they have to go with aliens and space again? Fucking hacks!" - a complete moron like you
>>
>>64144624
Most of /tv/ liked Mad Max, which was an extremely popular movie.

This isn't shitposting, it's opinion. Those that don't like TFA have offered very valid reasons why.
>>
>>64144967
>HURRR DURRR ALL THE PLANETS ARE TATOOINE OR ENDOR OR HOTH
just stop
>>
>>64144940
>Han Solo and Kenobi both play the role of the older person who bridges the gap between the past for the new character
How, by saying Jedis are real? He doesn't do shit for Rey outside of giving her a lift.
Both have a scene where they introduce the main character to the Force.
Rey knew about the force, he just confirmed it for her. Not that it was at all necessary cause she was about to get a demonstration from Kylo Ren.
>Both help lead the new protagonist on his/her journey (which includes taking the new protagonist to a bar to secure flight to the Rebels/Resistance)
Rey was already on her way to the resistance, Han just picked her up, it's not at all similar to Obi Wan's function in ANH.
>Kenobi is killed by his former student who was like a son or younger brother to him, while Han is killed by a man who is literally his son
Anakin wasn't like Obi Wan's son, more like a younger brother.

Basically, kinda similar on the surface if you squint really hard, but really nothing alike.
>>
>>64144715
Why don't you tell us all why TFA was such a great movie without using any of the following:

>everyone else liked it, why can't you?
>Star Wars is a kids movie and always has been
>it was fun, stop trying to pick holes in it
>f-fucking contrarian
>it was better than the prequels and that's all we could have asked for
>so what if it's a copy and paste of ANH, people wanted this movie to be like the old trilogy
>>
>>64144802
Leaks are not the movie, fucktard. In the same way that it doesn't matter if it was spelled out in an accompanying book.
>>
>>64144967
Holy shit are you a dumb fuck. I'm saying ANH was less of a copypaste since it was in a new setting. TFA is literally the same setting, same story, similar characters and even older characters brought back because fuck taking any risks. We're calculated fun now.
>>
>>64145085
Why do I need to?
Isn't the fact that I simply like it good enough?
Or do you need objective reasoning to understand why someone might like something?

I'd be fine with all the hate if it was limited to a few threads and weren't' walls of text.

But instead we have 20 threads on how bad Star Wars is, filled with other like minded fucks who lash out at anyone who could possibly disagree with them.
>>
>>64145153
>I'd be fine with all the hate if it was limited to a few threads and weren't' walls of text.
Oh no, someone is disliking a movie and actually taking the time to criticize them instead of saying "it's fun bro, turn off your brain" and then leave it at that. You seem awfully buttmad that your intense shilling on this board isn't paying off. Sorry but no amount of marketing can hide a shit movie from being shit. It makes them profitable, but still shit.
>>
>>64145085
Fresh interesting characters people can get attached to, funny moments, quick pace, action that is more than just some pretty lights, some exciting fist bump moments.
>>
>>64145148
Then wait for episode VIII faggot, it's the first episode of a trilogy it's not obligated to put all its cards on the table for people who are too stupid to get what's going on
>>
>>64145148
cannon is cannon
>>
>>64145184
>Fresh interesting characters
The Mary Sue feminist icon or the sweaty stormtrooper janitor who makes capeshit jokes?

>funny moments
Yeah, just like the Avengers movies, right?

>quick pace
I'm glad they didn't waste time on stupid details like "why the fuck is this shit even happening?" and instead went right on to pew pew explosions. Didn't even check Twitter once!

>some exciting fist bump moments.
Bro, did you also fist bump when they went into the Millenium Falcon. That was such a bro fist bump moment.

*bumps fist*
>>
>>64145183
I'm buttmad that half the board is dedicated exclusively to telling people how bad star wars is and they are mindless sheep/consumers/normies/etc for liking it

and that if I post something vaguely positive about it, I am instantly swarmed with cunts who can't stand the fact that someone else likes it
>>
>>64145153
>Isn't the fact that I simply like it good enough?
You can't even say why you like it.

>>64145184
>some exciting fist bump moments
Jesus christ, am I talking to a 14 year old?
>>
>>64145202
>Then wait for episode VIII faggot
So you can admit that this was a shit unfulfilling movie and instead your defense now relies on "wait for the sequel we know nothing about". Just like >>64145085
says.
>>
I liked this movie better when it was Star Trek.
>>
>>64145222
You are welcome to like it as people are welcome to dislike it. Chances are you didn't find the Star Wars threads obnoxious when everyone was shilling for it during premiere weekend. It's just that you can't deal with people disagreeing with you. And now you've made yourself look like a victim when in truth you just have bad taste.
>>
>>64145219
>The Mary Sue feminist icon or the sweaty stormtrooper janitor who makes capeshit jokes?
Both of them were pretty cool, along with Kylo Ren /tv/ has been obsessing about and Poe, even Hux is fun in his way.
>Yeah, just like the Avengers movies, right?
No, actually funny moments.
>I'm glad they didn't waste time on stupid details like "why the fuck is this shit even happening?" and instead went right on to pew pew explosions. Didn't even check Twitter once!
I'm sorry you couldn't keep up m8.
>Bro, did you also fist bump when they went into the Millenium Falcon. That was such a bro fist bump moment.
Is this post sponsered by an autism awareness program?
>>
>>64145263
>It kept some mysteries so it's shit and unfulfulling
You're literally retarded
>>
>>64145058
>How
Han Solo has a scene where he tells them all the myths and legends they heard about the Force, the Jedi, the Light Side, the Dark Side, and Luke Skywalker were all real. This has a very real impact on the characters, particularly Rey, who clearly knew of them but didn't believe in them.

This is the same as Kenobi telling Luke about the Jedi, the Force, and his father.

>Rey knew about the Force
Rey has heard of the Force because the audience doesn't need it explained to us like we did in 1977. Considering she thought it was a myth, I wouldn't go as far to use the verb "knew." She'd heard stories she didn't believe.

>Rey was already on her way to the resistance
Nevertheless, Han takes Rey to a bar to secure transport to the Resistance. This is exactly the same was Kenobi taking Luke to a bar to secure transport to the Rebellion.

>Anakin wasn't like Obi-Wan's son, more like a younger brother
The situation between Kenobi and Anakin was father/son or big brother/little brother. In both situations, Anakin/Ben fall to the Dark Side and use a red lightsaber to kill an older man with whom they were extremely close and used to look up to and look to for guidance, and both die in a similar location (Death Star for Kenobi, Starkiller for Han) while the main protagonist watches and then screams out.

Han Solo plays the exact same part Kenobi played in ANH. I'm not saying this like it's a bad thing. I honestly don't get why you're defensive about something this true and obvious.
>>
>>64145249
>You can't even say why you like it.
Because I love Star Wars and it was another Star Wars. There isn't any reason besides that, it was a Star Wars flick and I like all Star Wars flicks.

I was pleasantly surprised at how okay Boyega was, I like Rey's character because of how reluctant she was, I liked the return of Han and Chewwy in old form, I liked finding out about what happened to the New Republic and the Empire, I like the ships and explosions, I liked that the movie centers around the search for Luke, I like that we got to see a glimpse of inside the Empire, I liked Snoke he seemed very sinister
>>
>>64145303
>even Hux is fun in his way.
STOP USING THE WORD FUN TO DESCRIBE CHARACTERS. HOW FUCKING LAZY ARE YOU, YOU PIECE OF SHILL FUCKING SHIT?!
>>
>>64145151
>ANH was less of a copypaste
Nope. Not at all.
>>
File: Autism_Speaks_Logo.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Autism_Speaks_Logo.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
>>64145364
>>
>>64145364
STOP HAVING FUN HOLY SHIT YOU PIECE OF SHIT *SHITS SELF*
>>
>>64145364
>le sperg out
piss off retard
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-23-17h31m56s521.png (878 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-23-17h31m56s521.png
878 KB, 1920x816
>>64145360
>I liked Snoke he seemed very sinister
Ok I can understand your nostalgia boner and that's fine. So long as you're aware it's why you like the movie. But this part, come the fuck on man. Snooke literally looked like a videogame character from a capeshit movie. There was nothing sinister about him unless you think Saturday morning cartoon villains are also sinister. What a blunder compared to the presence Sidious had.
>>
>>64145202
>t-the shit writing and gaping characterisation holes will be explained in the next movie

When watching a movie, the fewest times we have to ask ourselves "how does this character know this?" or "how did this character manage this?", the better the execution of that character.

It's symptomatic of current movie/audience culture that for some reason makes it ok for movies to no longer be complete stories in their own right. People turn up to cinemas these days to watch "Part 1" of movies which really only amount to trailers for sequels.

Cliff hangers are fine. Character expansion is fine. Gaping characterisation holes are not. People have genuinely posted here that they'll wait two years to see if the characters in THIS movie were done well. That's moronic.

In ANH, we don't find out that Vader is Luke's father or Leia is his sister but within ten minutes of meeting Obi Wan, we know that Luke is force sensitive. We find out he's the son of Anakin. Later on we find out he's a good pilot and a better shot. Everything to explain Luke's abilities is in ANH. Rey is being written backwards.
>>
>>64145391
Fun is ultimately empty. You might aswell say good. It has the same meaning to someone disagreeing with you. There is no actual value in the word in a thread where you are supposed to describe WHY you found the movie fun and not IF you found the movie fun. Learn the difference faggot.
>>
>>64145360
>Because I love Star Wars and it was another Star Wars
This. It's ridiculous to hate The Force Awakens for being the same as a good Star Wars film when that's what people wanted.

I've seen The Force Awakens six times now. It's comfy as fuck to watch.
>>
>>64145444
People can love Star Wars without wanting the same SW story told over and over again. There is more to Star Wars than Death Stars and not-Nazis.
>>
>>64145386
>>64145391
>>64145405
He's right though, niggers.
>>
>>64145406
The thing I liked about Snoke was that he seemed to be a reasonable villain
I'm not saying he is good we'll see
>>
>>64145349
>who clearly knew of them but didn't believe in them.
You've literally just invented that.
>Considering she thought it was a myth
What are you going by?
>Nevertheless, Han takes Rey to a bar to secure transport to the Resistance. This is exactly the same was Kenobi taking Luke to a bar to secure transport to the Rebellion.
Han doesn't take Rey to a bar, he doesn't go to Maz's castle to get transport, just to get the info about the resistance.
>The situation between Kenobi and Anakin was father/son or big brother/little brother. In both situations, Anakin/Ben fall to the Dark Side and use a red lightsaber to kill an older man with whom they were extremely close and used to look up to and look to for guidance, and both die in a similar location (Death Star for Kenobi, Starkiller for Han) while the main protagonist watches and then screams out.
The bad guy uses a red light saber to kill an old man and the protagonist screams, that's what you're going with for this obvious similarity?
>Han Solo plays the exact same part Kenobi played in ANH.
Obi Wan plays a mentor to Luke, he sets him on his path, he trains him as a Jedi, tells him about his past, and gives helps him destroy the death star. Han gives Rey transport to the rebel base and Finn transport to the star killer. You're literally retarded if you think they share something beyod surface-level similarity.
>>
>>64145406
I disagree with your opinion and I hope that you are okay with that.
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 218x231
>>64145469
No.
>>
>>64145468
If you want a movie that isn't Star Wars, they make that. They make other movies. It's crazy, I know, but there are places chock full of movies that aren't Star Wars.

Me? I just wanted Star Wars, and I got it.
>>
>>64145491
Ok? Can you say why you disagree with me? I mean if we're going to have a conversation about the movie, why not take the time to actually argue for what we liked or disliked?
>>
>>64145493
Stop being such a dumb nigger, k?
>>
>>64145513
>If you want a movie that isn't Star Wars
You missed the point. Again. For the dozenth time this thread. I'm saying that you can make a completely geniune Star Wars movie without literally copypasting an older SW movie, complete with the same plot devices and landmarks. If they're just going to put ANH on rewind, then what's the point of this movie?
>>
>>64145547

Ignore him, he's been trolling my thread for two fucking hours now.
>>
>>64145493
That's usually not the way that image is used. You can have fun. But saying something is "fun" as a way to justify why something is fun is fucking retarded.
>>
>>64145222
So you need others to validate your opinion.

If you're confident in your own views that the movie was good, why does it matter what others think? The only reason it would bother you is if these dissenting opinions are making you doubt your own opinion on the movie. In which case, your consensus on the movie must have been quite fragile in the first place.
>>
>>64145519
I do not with to have a discussion with you because I do not have a valid reason to hold my particular opinion on the subject, but I still hold myself to it.

Call it intuition. He is sinister to me, thus I think he is sinister.
>>
>>64145563
Yeah I'm about to give up. I should've stopped when I read this >>64144576
and realized it's a Disney intern sent here to damage control an awful movie.
>>
>>64145360
So you liked the movie out of brand loyalty.

Thanks. Got it.
>>
>>64145489
>You've literally just invented that.
That's in the movie.

>What are you going by?
The line where she says, and I quote, "The Jedi were real!" in amazement when Han Solo says "the first Jedi Temple." (Han Solo then responds "I used to wonder about that myself. I thought it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo." and then goes into how all the "myths" were true).

Did you even watch this film? Pay better attention next time.

>Han doesn't take Rey to a bar
Except he does. Maz's place is a bar. They're serving drinks. When we first see Maz, she's returning a tray of drinks to the bar. Again, watch the fucking movie.

>The bad guy blah blah blah
You've missed the point on purpose. Anakin and Kenobi have the same familial dynamic that Han and Ben have, and it plays out the exact same way: Anakin kills the man who was like a father/older brother to him, Ben kills the man who was literally his father, and the murder is done with the same weapon (a red lightsaber) in the exact same setting (Death Star/Starkiller Base).

If your next reply is going to be you continuing to miss the point on purpose, then don't expect me to respond to it.
>>
http://www.hitbox.tv/Sheev66

Get in here, we're watching a better Star Wars movie.
>>
>>64145588
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. But when you can't come up with some objective points about a movie or a character to support your opinion, you're argument seems weak.
>>
>>64142608
>it looks fucking stupid
>no elaboration
kek can't expect more from a malcontent
>>
>>64143124
>they're
[citation needed]

inb4 anecdotal sources like your aspie friends
>>
>>64142519
>ride of the valkaries starts playing
>>
>>64143945
>too safe
then go watch your high brow 'films' telling yourself you're smarter than the rest of us and be happy anon
>>
>>64145696
>The line where she says, and I quote, "The Jedi were real!" in amazement when Han Solo says "the first Jedi Temple." (Han Solo then responds "I used to wonder about that myself. I thought it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo." and then goes into how all the "myths" were true).
Yes she's excited he gave her a confirmation for her beliefs. That's not the same as her not believing in it.
>Except he does. Maz's place is a bar.
They serve drinks there, they serve drinks in restaurants too. It's not a bar, it's a pirate hangout, we don't know much more than that.
>You've missed the point on purpose. Anakin and Kenobi have the same familial dynamic that Han and Ben have
No, they don't. Obi Wan famously describes Anakin as a "Good friend" in Episode IV, that's quite far from the dynamics between Han and ?Kylo.
>>
>>64142519
Theres also no sense of exploration because everything is

>YOU'RE HAN SOLO
>THIS IS THE MILLENNIUM FALCON
>ITS ANOTHER DEATH STAR
>ITS THE REMNANTS OF THE EMPIRE
>>
TFA proves that plot in Star Wars doesn't matter. A good action flick with likable characters was all the audience needed.
>>
>>64145900
generalize just a touch more and you can say that about any movie
>>
>>64142519
You're clearly underestimating how casual/normies/whateveryouwanttocallthem people are fucking plebs.
>>
>>64145900
I'm agreeing with you btw >>64145973
>>
>>64145434
/thread

Disney shills can't even defend their garbage movie

Also what the fuck? Phasma didn't do shit
>>
>>64142679
that doesn't mean anything, there were people who went for repeat viewings for the prequels too
>>
>>64145997
>plebs
>social order based on what movies people like
how is it living in that bubble
>>
>>64145434
Why should he when he knows it'll just be welcomed by the same tired arguments from malcontents who are more interested in telling him he's shit than a reasoned talk?
Yeah no.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>64143745
>a strong flaw in the original trilogy, especially Empire, is the poor pacing.
I'm sorry, what? You would cut down scenes from The Empire Strikes Back?

May I ask which scenes you would cut? Genuinely curious here.
>>
>>64146054
So your justification of typing like a baby is that nobody will take you seriously if you don't so you continue to act like a baby.

Alright.
>>
>>64143745

>Force Timestop

He stopped a blue wobbling laser thingy. Time still functioned.

>Force Mindrape

Extracting information from people using The Force isn't new at all. The Jedi masters and Sheev were gleaming information from people all day every day in the prequels, and Yoda knew what Luke was thinking in Empire before he went off to fuck up saving his friends on Bespin.

>The Resistance

The Resistance is a stupid name for a cliq of heroes who were part of the Republic, which is not new, and what's worse they were basically turned into the Rebel Alliance 2.0. Leia is still the leader, they live on a forest world, and for whatever reason they're in hiding even though they're the legitimized army and should be operating on some functioning fortress world.

What you equate to new is basically changing your own name, and then going around telling everyone you're a new person.

>The Knights of Ren
WTF are the Knights of Ren? There's one dude who can't even hold his own against the protagonist, so what are the rest, cannon fodder who don't even show up in the first movie?
>>
>>64144376
People don't like ESB because of Kevin Smith. No one knows who he is.
>>
>>64142519
>>But apparently all people care about when they watch Star Wars is TIE fighters and X-Wings. We'll see if thats the case a year from now.
but that's exactly what they're banking on Rouge One comes out next year
>>
>>64143995
>Everything has to be exactly the same with a different name for it to be Star Wars

No it doesn't.

>The OT are unwatchable

You're either a brainless attention deficit child in desperate need of being eaten by a rancor, or you're a troll.
>>
>>64146077
He's trolling.
>>
>>64142519
another day another retard is doing mental gymnastics to be fucking contrarian

>>64142648
this so fucking much

why can't you just enjoy stuff, people
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 400x300
>>64143995
You are a master Troll. Take notes, everyone.
>>
>>64146145
>Force Mindrape
It's the second force ability used in Star Wars. The first is force choke, but shortly afterwards Vader says something about Leah resisting it so they send in Dr Probe
>>
>>64146078
Keep proving my point about you lot being malcontents, lol
>>
>>64146221
How is anything he said mental gymnastics? If anything, it's the shills committing to mental gymnastics to defend a copypaste job.
>>
>>64146387
Shit, that superiority complex must be nice. Can I have some?
>>
>>64146393
>Han and Obi Wan serve the same function in the story because both are killed by red lightsabers
That's not mental gymnastics, that's mental aerial maneuvers
>>
>>64144214
>It's fine for a Star Wars film to be like a Star Wars film. In fact, that's preferred.
obviously you don't enjoy Star Wars every episode before Disney was completely different from the others
>>
>>64146415
If i had any, sure
You accuse the person of not being able to give ground when you yourself won't. guess we'll just have to stay in i hate what you like, and you hate what i like mode 5ever
>>
>>64146426
His point being that the story beats are very similar to the point where you can even predict which characters get killed. And yes, Han did very much have the same mentor-like role in TFA as Obi-Wan had in ANH.
>>
>>64142519

Yeah I can't wait. Then when all the normies start noticing how it isn't as good as they remember on the second watch /tv/ can start jacking off over how great the movie is and how everyone else is wrong. The cycle never ends.
>>
>>64146452
>And yes, Han did very much have the same mentor-like role in TFA as Obi-Wan had in ANH.
He knew the protagonists for about a day m8, he couldn't have mentored them if he tried, and he didn't try at all
>>
File: BIN-AL-FLECK.jpg (85 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
BIN-AL-FLECK.jpg
85 KB, 400x395
>>64146451
There are multiple people in this thread explaining exactly why they don't like TFA, including the OP. There is no one explaining why they like TFA save "it's fun" which means shit all since it describes an emotion felt and not why you felt that. You are the one lowering the quality of the discussion here by your inability to explain your preference and your even worse inability to deal with people disagreeing with you.

Pic related.
>>
>>64143118

Why wouldn't they get anything out of it? They've never seen the originals so how will they know its so similar? The originals worked getting so many kids into Star Wars so why the fuck wouldn't this one?
>>
>>64143124
What "people"? Everywhere I go that isn't here, people are gushing all over it. I took my sister's family to see it this weekend as a Christmas gift to them, and there were still huge lines and packed theaters.
>>
>>64146490
>He knew the protagonists for about a day m8
Contrary to what, a week for Obi-Wan?
>>
>>64142519

Even the prequels feel better paced

Finn being constantly out of breath felt like a metaphor for the pace of the entire movie.

Honestly my initial first reaction coming out of the theater was they put two movies worth of set pieces in, and left out any semblance of story or narrative.

All the Finn and Rey stuff was super awkward, like they had literally zero chemistry.

I almost laughed out loud at the opening shot of the big black spaceship penetrating the white planet.. thanks /pol/
>>
>>64146539

One day.
>>
>>64146539
Something like that, though he never really left look
>>
>>64146539

Luke probably knew Obi-Wan at least in passing for years though. He knew him well enough to know his first name and probably where he lived.
>>
>>64144615
The only part of this movie that really qualifies as boring would be the scenes involving Maz, and that's because she's a boring, poorly defined character. I used that part to go outside and smoke the second time I watched it.
>>
>>64143118

They definitely tried with that groan inducing c-3po introduction, and by referring to Han by his full name every time.
>>
>>64146587
I always got the impression he was meeting Obi Wan for the first time, and only knew Ben Kenobi from stories, and his reputation as the local crazy.
>>
>>64143118
Incorrect. My nephew had never seen Star Wars, and had no interest in watching them, but he loved this one, and now wants to watch the rest.
>>
>>64146221
He offered valid reasons why he didn't like it. If anything, it's people like you who come to these threads with "why can't you just like it?" being your sole argument that are doing the mental gymnastics.
>>
>>64143995

You had a good run, but just couldn't help outing yourself as a troll.
>>
>>64142608
Stop shitposting, bro. It's sunday.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 275x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 275x306
>All the Finn and Rey stuff was super awkward, like they had literally zero chemistry.
True. When Finn's in a coma, Rey is clearly thinking about doing her laundry. She doesn't want to be there at all. It is actually great acting, it just isn't the story JJ thought he was telling.
>>
>>64146516
Except I'm not. and the constant accusations keep proving my point. I've literally done nothing but point out that cuntery begets cuntery.

dipshits tend to take any ground given as an opening to step in and be like SEE HA YOU'RE A SHIT

literally no reason to engage beyond more namecalling at that point, which is basically 90% of /tv/
>>
>>64146516
Exactly this. It's a common theme of TFA discussion since it came out.

Those that liked it can barely articulate why and are instead going on the offensive against the "contrarians" who have offered very clear and concise reasons why they didn't like it or thought it was mediocre.
>>
>>64146763
>say why we liked it
>LEL THOSE REASONS ARE SHIT AND DON'T COUNT
>lol ok then
>>
>>64146763
>Those that liked it
Stopped reading there.
>>
File: vuilnisman17.gif (6 KB, 250x299) Image search: [Google]
vuilnisman17.gif
6 KB, 250x299
>TFA was bad
>>
>>64146605
The pace is too fast, not too slow.

The movie desperately needs moments of calm and reflection to build anticipation, character relationships and give weight to the bigger set pieces to come. It's a blur after Jakku.

Maz's cantina is one of the few moments where the movie calms the fuck down but it's handled poorly with an obnoxious, boring alien in a reskinned ANH cantina.
>>
>>64146785
You just proved my point.

If you thought it was great, please explain why.
>>
>>64143121
yes. It didn't feel any different than any other new sci fi movie.
>>
The problem with this movie? Boring female characters, including the orange Yoda.
>>
where can i stream it?
>>
Meanwhile outside the autism ward everyone loved TFA
>>
>>64146550
>Honestly my initial first reaction coming out of the theater was they put two movies worth of set pieces in, and left out any semblance of story or narrative.

This was my reaction too. It's a weirdly exhausting movie, and not in a good way.

The original movie handled action so much better.

>Short space battle and gun fight at the beginning
>Slightly more involved and dangerous gun fight and space battle 50 minutes later
>Longer sequence of shorter action scenes 20 minutes later (detention center battle, garbage compactor, lightsaber duel, turret fight)
>Space battle climax less than 10 minutes later

The movie starts small and gradually ramps up the tension, introducing more and more action building up excitement until the climactic trench run.

Empire Strikes Back had way less action and when you watch it you don't even realize it because of how efficient it is.

>Wampa sequence to tease us about the plot and how the characters have developed in the interim
>Massive land battle 15 minutes later showcasing the sheer power of the Empire, followed up by the asteroid chase
>An hour later the climactic duel between Luke and Vader, interspersed with the gun battle in Cloud City and followed by a brief space battle

It actually goes a full hour without a real proper action setpiece. It's all about character and plot development.

Jedi is a strange beast:

>Five minute action scene 30 minutes in
>Brief speeder bike chase 25 minutes later
>Final battle starts roughly 30 minutes later and lasts a half hour

It spends the first half hour accumulating tension and releases it in an awesome scene. Then it builds a whole new plot and starts wrapping up the story. Then it launches into a massive three-pronged finale that caps off the whole series. It feels a little clunky but it's also very effective.

The point is these movies have very long slow periods that are used to tell the story and they're better for it. Action isn't just piled on for the sake of it.
>>
>>64147033
It's not universally loved on reddit by any means.
>>
>>64146516
>>64146763

The problem is that we're saying why the movie isn't good while they're responding why they liked it. Whether or not you like something =/= whether or not something is good. You can like shitty things and not like good things. Just saying you liked it isn't saying anything, since the whole point of the thread is that people will stop liking it when they realize it's mediocre.
>>
>>64146734
But you've never even tried to do more but namecalling. If you have, please point me to your posts so I can see you haven't. Meanwhile plenty of people have in detail explained why they don't like it. Even OP does a good job of this. And his posts are met by "contrarian" or whatever buzzword coined by people too incompetent to defend it properly.
>>
>>64144933
what bugged me it that she turned the fucking tables on him in her first mind rape experience.
>>
>>64147033
Social conformity is not an argument.
>>
>>64144859
where else can you go, the OT already covered desert, forest and snow planets. Other than a water planet (which would be retarded and they did it in the prequels)
>>
>>64147142
>where else can you go
Even the prequels had some unique planets. It's not an impossible thing to do. And even if it was the impossible thing to do, it sure as fuck isn't impossible to come up with a Star Wars story that feels like Star Wars without it being a blatant copypaste of an earlier Star Wars movie.
>>
>>64144611
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq51w34Hg9I
>>
>>64144972
the only argument against Mad Max was that it was "reddit the movie", which is retarded anyway because there was very little quirky humour or exaggerated characters
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 634x439) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 634x439
You know, this movie could still be fixed by re-structuring it as Five Acts:

Rey meets Poe and Han Solo in Act I, while Leia debates with the Republic on the whereabouts of her brother, and the threat of a 'new Empire'.

Rising Action with Kylo and Hux in Act II. Finn tells us what he knows about the Order and how they could defeat them. Han tells us more about Luke and how he spent his life.

Han Solo is killed in Act III (Climax). Rey learns more about the Knights, and feels that they have poisoned Kylo's mind.

Then Rey meets Luke in Act IV (Falling Action). Giving Luke some much needed dialogue and giving the film itself some downtime. Luke fills in some blanks about the Knights of Ren and the Jedi Temple.

And finally having the First Order destroy the system in Act V (Resolution). Add a scene with a resurgent First Order handing out medals at the end, and it's a real Star Wars movie, with a decent cliffhanger.
>>
>>64147053
JJ went full ADHD with The Force Awakens.

The freighter scene is the best example. It's in there as filler action when that time should have been spent on characterisation.
>>
>>64146529
>getting so many kids into Star Wars
Where the fuck in my post did I talk about getting innocent kids addicted to a movie franchise? I said 'initiated into the light side of the force' and 'Satan worship.' I'm clearly talking about spirituality here.
>>
>>64147183
yeah but the environments are going to be reminiscent of something from the OT inevitably because of how diverse the environments in the OT were
>>
>>64147318
the freighter scene is easily one of the worst in the movie
>>
>>64144450
>Rey and BB-8 come across Lars San Tekka, who tells them what they need to do.

Uh, no?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 320x240
>>64147363
What are the top five 'worst moments' in The Force Awakens?
>>
>>64147662
You can't reduce the bad points of the movie to five moments or scenes.

TFA was doing good with Jakku and then the entire movie takes a nose dive.
>>
>>64147662
>Rey piloting the falcon and doing a 360 noscope with a broken turret ala Finn
>Suddenly Han Solo and his big freighter full of mischief and crazy critters
>Anakin/Luke's saber in the cantina for reasons
>Starkiller base, all of it
>Rey suddenly mindtrick OR Ren trying to pull Anakin's saber to him, gets outpulled by Rey.

Seriously, the guy can stop a blaster bolt mid flight. He can't feel her presence in the base. He can't fight her. He can't out force her. What in the fuck did I watch.

>There has been an awakening

This is literally the plot of a shitty video game
>>
>>64147662
>Rathtars scene
>Destroying Starkiller base with 4 X-Wings
>Giant deus-ex machina opening between Rey and Kylo at the end in the form of a chasm
>Rey learning mind-trick in a video game tutorial way
>Maz Kanata
>>
>>64146221
"XDD just turn ur brain off bro XD LMAO"
>>
>>64147079
He said outside the autism ward you stupid faggot
>>
>>64147033
quiet lols
>>
>>64147033
People on facebook liked it so it must be good.

>just back from Star Wars. So fucking epic bro! Goes right into my top three of all time with Jurassic World and The Shawshank Redemption
>>
>>64147053

The OT also stayed away from jokes, and had more classic humor.

In TFA when Rey uses mind control to free herself from the cell, and then does the "and drop your weapon" bit a under-5 year old child started laughing hysterically and I knew it was just going to get worse.
>>
>>64143745
>Except for all those new aliens we ain't never seen before
Most costume designs looked like cosplay/marvel tier shit compared to the effort put in the prequels
>the First Order
You mean empire 2.0? No shit. You must think the new Death Star was original too.
>the Resistance
Just a piece of shit excuse to rob us of the new Jedi order Lucas was going to give us, the real fans
> the Knights of Ren
Lol some gay ass shit that wasn't even explained
>Snoke
Lol some gay ass shit that wasnt even explained
>Force Timestop
Cool, too bad it was pointless because belonged to a weakling somehow
Force Mindrape
>something basically always implied. still, belongs to weaklings now apparently
>lightclaymore
Literally who
>BB-8
Literally shit and proof of creative bankruptcy behind the new direction
>The new planets
You mean tatioone clone, jabbas lounge clone, hoth clone, etc
>the new bar
Oh. I guess you must not realize how much it pales in comparison to the practical effects, costume, stage design, and music of 30 years ago
>and other stuff I've probably forgotten
Because its shit

The only "new" thing this movie did to Star Wars w
>>
>>64148123
>a 5 year old laughs hysterically at it
>i must not laugh now
you socially awkward spergs are hilarious
>>
>>64148130
>moving the goalposts
par for the course on /tv/
>if you disagree with me, ur wrong an dumb LoL!
>>
>>64142613
Everyone I've asked liked it.
Someone on facebook posted a status calling it a 10/10
>>
>>64148152

The 5 year old was literally the only one laughing.
>>
>>64148221
You must live in spergland. literally whole theatre chuckled
>>
>>64148317
Ausfag here, theatre kek'd. Not full on laugh but an acknowledge-the-joke kek
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 640x360
Best dramatic moments in the movie?
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 240x180
....anyone?
>>
>>64148448
>>64148572
I didn't find much drama in it at all.

Piloting the Falcon through the star destroyer was ok but could have been far more cinematic if they'd built up any anticipation to that moment. That's where good direction is important - they can make scenes far more than they are.

For instance, at the start of Raiders, we understand that Indy picking up the idol is an important moment because Spielberg spends a minute just showing Indy staring at it, weighing it up. And then Williams' score builds and builds until there's this unbearable tension surrounding a man that's just supposed to pick up an object and replace it with another.
>>
File: 1451020250835.jpg (31 KB, 555x644) Image search: [Google]
1451020250835.jpg
31 KB, 555x644
>>64142519
>>
TFA is a rehash of the OT, which after the fucking terrible Prequels, is all I wanted anyway. I hope ep VIII and IX have more original material though.
>>
>>64148933
Nah, you didn't want a rehash of ANH before you saw it.

Now that you've seen it and liked it, you've rationalised their decision to do copy and paste of ANH as a good thing.
>>
>>64147117
It is apparently for people that liked it. It's the primary argument.
>>
It was unbearable feminist pandering SJW garbage
Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.