[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What we had, what we got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: Caedus_EA.jpg (249 KB, 567x874) Image search: [Google]
Caedus_EA.jpg
249 KB, 567x874
>Am I deluding myself, Jaina? Am I making the same mistake as Grandfather? I have days - most days - when I’m as certain of this as I’ve ever been certain of anything. And then I have sleepless nights when I wonder if the path of the Sith is a lasting solution for peace in the galaxy, or if that’s my ego speaking for me. It terrifies me. But if I were motivated by ambition, then I wouldn’t suffer this doubt, would I? Jaina, I can’t tell you all this, not yet. You wouldn’t see it. But when you do, remember that you’re my sister, my heart, and that part of me will always love you, no matter what.

>"Tahiri, in the long term, it's easier to kill a powerful enemy than it is an apparently weak one. If you bring down a giant, you're a hero. If you kill something weak—even if it has to die—then you endure contempt. Being willing to be despised to serve the common good…that's the mark of a true Sith.

>“I’m not afraid of dying. I’m afraid of surviving… and getting to the end of the war and discovering that I’m all alone. That everyone I knew and cared for is gone.”

>I just killed my aunt. I grew up with her. She was there for me. We fought a war together. I have to face her son. I have to face Ben. What have I done?

now it's just "muh Snoke is wize" and daddy issues.
>>
>>64129176
Take your non-canonical fan fics somewhere else.
>>
>>64129489

TFA is more of a fanfic than the EU. Comparison in this case is perfectly valid.
>>
>>64129176
>now it's just ''muh Snoke is wie'' and daddy issues

which were much more interesting than those tedious and cliche snippets you posted.
>>
>>64129583
Not really.
>>
>>64129583

Maybe if you keep repeating that to yourself, you might actually believe it one day
>>
>>64129176
>Caedus vs. MJ 'duel'
>they both just ditch the lightsabers and start mauling each other with knives, rocks, and spiked knuckles

You know they'll never be allowed to actually show anything this hardcore in a visual medium.
>>
What are the top 3 star wars novels worth reading?
>>
>>64130056

the Darth Plagueis novel is supposed to be cash.
>>
>Rey: Shitty version of Jaina Solo
>Finn: Shitty version of Kyle Katarn's stormtrooper career
>Kanan: Shitty version of Kyle Katarn's design
>Hera: Shitty version of Jan Ors
>Ben Solo: Shitty version of Jacen Solo; Stole his name from Luke Skywalker's son
>Kylo Ren's Design: Shitty version of Darth Revan
>Knights of Ren: Shitty version of the Reborn
>Starkiller Base: Shitty Death Star/Suncrusher/Centerpoint Station combined with shitty imagery of the Star Forge
>>
>>64130133

Has JJ ever had a single original thought in his life?
>>
>>64129536
>TFA is more of a fanfic than the EU
Nope. They're both dumb, but VII is unambiguously canon. The EU was always tertiary at best.
>>
whew that is some awful teen emo fanfic tier writing
>>
>>64130056

>Anything with Thrawn in it
>Anything with Kyle Katarn in it
>Anything with Dash Rendar in it

There you go.
>>
>>64130133
>Randomly bashing Rebels
This is a TFA hate thread. Go bitch about your children's cartoon on /co/ -- we are here to bitch about children's film.
>>
>>64129176
It's a cool mythos, but it's shit prose.
>>
>>64130244

I'm sorry, normally I remove those two lines, I have a much bigger collection. I'm just gathering things in the new canon that the EU did better.
>>
>>64130189
I hope you're talking about ANH: Reloaded.
>>
>>64130250
>SW7 was well written
nah
>>
>>64129176
>One movie
>vs an entire series of books
Fair comparison. The trilogy ain't even halfway done and you faggots are looking for things to whine about. Typical.
>>
>>64130353
>yfw the movie is trash and there's nothung you can do about it
>>
>>64130353

It's almost like making a kid turn evil and kill his father in the span of only ONE movie is somehow worse, right? Almost like it's something they should have built up to and foreshadowed and put actual work, time, effort and original thought into?
>>
>>64129176
The last fight between Jaina and Jewsen was pretty fucking epic. Nothing that Disney would want to touch.
>>
>>64130164
>but VII is unambiguously canon

It has no more right to be called canon than anything in the EU. The only difference is Disney just has the power and money to sell it to a wider audience, most of whom were probably unaware "sequels" to ROTJ already existed.
>>
File: into.jpg (6 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
into.jpg
6 KB, 284x177
>>64129176
>expanded universe
>>
>>64130674
/thread
money=/=quality
Disney a shit.
>>
>>64130133
>>64130156

>implying the EU didn't explore basically every wretched option for the plot
>implying if it was a huge divorce of the EU that you wouldn't be whining that JJ should have paid homage to it better
>>
File: 1334465245588.jpg (725 KB, 798x1100) Image search: [Google]
1334465245588.jpg
725 KB, 798x1100
Yuzhaan Vong made everything so much better.

Back when TOR was first announced, I was one of those hopeless romantics wishing it'd be the Yuzhaan Vong. When I saw the trailer about the Sith Empire I literally said aloud 'Oh, it's just the Sith'.
>>
>>64130757
>but like dude what if...
kill yourself fampai
>>
>>64130353

It's not really an issue of development though. It's more an issue of character and motivation. Whether Jacen Solo had 20,000 books of development or Kylo Ren had one is sort of irrelevant here as one movie was apparently enough for them to lay out Kylo's motivations and personality for us to see and thus compare with Caedus, the character he is himself kind of a watered down version of.
>>
>>64130887
This.
>>
>>64130674
>It has no more right to be called canon than anything in the EU
But it does, because Disney (who is now in charge of the Star Wars brand) actually made a movie and called it Episode VII and deemed it canon. You know how religious authorities in the church determined Biblical canon (where its use in fictional universes comes from)? Same thing here. Just replace theological authorities with the Star Wars story group people.

It's not as if Lucas gave much of a shit about the old EU, so don't even try to invoke that awful argument.

I'm sorry you dislike The Force Awakens. I'm not a big fan of it either. I'm even less of a fan of the prequel trilogy. They're still canon, though. The EU isn't. But you're more than welcome to enjoy the EU and prefer it over The Force Awakens and any subsequent official Star Wars material. Canon is arbitrary. It's just a way of sorting what's official and what isn't to keep continuity straight. That's all.
>>
>>64131109
>Canon is arbitrary.
Than why did you just write an essay about it?
>>
>>64130784
>le kill yourself meme
It was a valid criticism, you're just autistic.
>>
>>64131181
Because for some reason people still aren't getting it and are still butthurt over the EU being dismissed. Less than 20 sentences isn't much of an essay, anyway.
>>
>>64131300
nah
>>
>>64130766
Fucking same.

The day before Disney announced the takeover of Star Wars, I told everyone I knew who liked SW about the Yuuzhan Vong and how they'd make a great from it
>>
File: 1450170071078.png (247 KB, 267x412) Image search: [Google]
1450170071078.png
247 KB, 267x412
>>64131109
>You know how religious authorities in the church determined Biblical canon (where its use in fictional universes comes from)? Same thing here.

I never said Disney doesn't say it's canon. But because this isn't religion, we can freely deny TFA's canonicity if we choose because Disney isn't going to send people to punish us or excommunicate us from enjoying Star Wars if we don't accept or buy their new stuff. This is fiction, not religion, and before you feel the urge to make some witty fedora tipping reply saying there isn't a difference, I think you know very well what i mean here.

>It's not as if Lucas gave much of a shit about the old EU, so don't even try to invoke that awful argument.

Compared to Disney, Lucas was much more respectful of the EU though. I'm not saying that he approved every single bit of EU material himself or that he knew (or necessarily cared about) exactly everything people below him were writing, but when it came to major things within the old canon, those were usually done with some of Lucas' approval or at least that of someone on Lucas' payroll who was employed specifically in order to make sure everything was in line with George's ultimate vision as expressed in the six movies.

TFA seems to not only be ignoring completely the work of those who for years wrote stories out of a real love for Lucas' universe, it even seems to ignore George's own vision. It's not like George passed the torch onto JJ Abrams and said "continue my work, my young apprentice", even if Abrams considers himself one of George's fans. Heck, considering that George wanted David Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi for him, I'd bet that were it completely up to Lucas who besides himself would make Episode VII, he'd sooner choose Tarantino.

>Canon is arbitrary.

Doesn't this contradict what you said above though?

Any way, for me it's not so much the fact there's a new canon, it's the way Disney's new canon is already starting to feel.
>>
>>64132709
>But because this isn't religion, we can freely deny TFA's canonicity if we choose
No, because that's not what canon means. You can ignore it. That's not the same thing as denying its canonicity though. It being official and deemed Episode VII by Disney and controlled by the Star Wars Story Group is what makes it canon. That's what being canon is. The same way being acknowledged by the Church is what makes Biblical canon what it is. That's the very definition of it.

I'm not saying you have to accept or buy their new stuff. That's why I said it's arbitrary. You don't HAVE to acknowledge it or care about it. It's still canon, though.
>Lucas was much more respectful of the EU though.
Kind of. He tolerated it. But he outright stated that in his mind there was what he was doing and then whatever the EU did. They were separate for him. The EU was contingent on the movies, but the opposite was not the case.

Disney's dimissal of the EU was a smart decision for everyone involved. It avoids a lot of headaches for the audience and certainly for the creators. That stuff still exists under the Legends label anyway. You can still enjoy it if you want to. They're just ignoring it in favor of a new continuity to avoid the clusterfuck.
>Doesn't this contradict what you said above though?
No. It's decided by authorities, but there's nothing intrinsically more "real" about what's canon and what isn't. It's just about what's official and keeping things consistent between stories. Being canon doesn't elevate something to a kind of platonic reality. It's why being so butt-hurt over it is a waste of time.
>>
File: 1450563227706.jpg (916 KB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
1450563227706.jpg
916 KB, 1333x2000
>>64132709

cont'd

Let me put this way, before it kind of felt like you had Father Lucas in charge of things and he'd let the kids have fun in the sandbox as long as they didn't do anything really naughty. And when he stepped in to play too, he may have tampered with some other people's sand castles in his sandbox, but he didn't go out of his way to kick them all over.

With Lucas it was like "Hey George, can we publish a novel with that Plagueis guy you talked about in Episode III?" George's reply was "Sure, do whatever the fuck you want, just follow the rules."
>>
>>64130056

I loved the Bane trilogy. It humanizes the Sith and really shows what a rule sith is supposed to be and why Palpatine was a fucking awful sith.

Avoid anything written by Karen Traviss. While her idea for the Mandalorians being a noble savage warrior culture is alright, she is just an awful writer.
>>
>>64130595

I respect the EU because it had balls. People fucking suffered and the fights were brutal. Jacen tried several times to snap his own sister's neck with the force and Jaina killed him while he was calling out to his waifu to protect his daughter.
>>
What sort of villain name is Snoke and Kylo Ren? Its cartoony and not intimidating at all.
>>
File: 1444012823455.jpg (27 KB, 326x438) Image search: [Google]
1444012823455.jpg
27 KB, 326x438
>>64133019
>You can ignore it. That's not the same thing as denying its canonicity though.

In this case, I'm using the two words "ignore" and "deny" interchangeably.

>The same way being acknowledged by the Church is what makes Biblical canon what it is.

It feels a little more like Protestants coming in and discarding all the Catholic traditions to interpret scipture themselves themselves and just making things an even more confused mess.

>But he outright stated that in his mind there was what he was doing and then whatever the EU did. They were separate for him.

Even so, Lucas would have never dared toss everything out completely. And It's not like Lucas said "fuck Coruscant, it doesn't exist, it's now a city planet like Coruscant called Had Abaddon like in my original script/notes all that stuff with Coruscant is now not canon."

>That stuff still exists under the Legends label anyway. You can still enjoy it if you want to. They're just ignoring it in favor of a new continuity to avoid the clusterfuck.

It's more like they're not discarding it right now because they can still make some money off of it and have yet to establish the NuEU more firmly where they can afford to just stop printing Old EU.

And if anything, making the old EU not canon anymore has created even more confusion. When I was at Barnes and Noble not too long ago, it was very difficult to explain to two guys I met in the SW section who had just seen TFA and were completely new to Star Wars outside the movies how Legends and NuEU work, especially since the new stuff with the Legends label doesn't explain it and prints of this stuff is still being sold without the Legends label, leading to even more confusion among SW newbs. Disney could have created a new continuity without creating such confusion and without any dent in their profits.
>>
>>64135117
Are they still printing Legends stuff? I kinda liked some of it.
>>
>>64135568

Yes, but some of the stuff that says "Legends" on it hasn't yet replaced the prints without it.
>>
>>64133269
It's been years since I read that shit. It was cool though. Jaina had to live and train with Fett to be a killer. Training to kill her brother, who was probably the most bad ass physical force user ever.
>>
>>64133541
Stop thinking about it. They are just names derived from the the movie maker friends.
>>
>>64133145
I don't see how it humanizes the Sith since Bane and Zannah do horrible things to people.

But yeah TFA just takes things from EU but makes them shit.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.