[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>JJ moved the capital of the Republic that was destroyed to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: hosnian-system-destruction.jpg (135 KB, 715x293) Image search: [Google]
hosnian-system-destruction.jpg
135 KB, 715x293
>JJ moved the capital of the Republic that was destroyed to some literal who planet just so they wouldn't have to show Coruscant and trigger Reddit's prequel PTSD
BRAVO ABRAMS
>>
I didn't even know those planets were supposed to be the Republic until the Republic has been declared annihilated. A+ for completely sweeping the existence of the Republic under the rug until five seconds before it exploded.
>>
Yeah that was retarded. Then again Coruscant is practically the centre of the Star Wars galaxy so destroying it would be too bold a move on JJ's part.
>>
>>64125167
I assumed it was because they would revisit coruscant in a later movie to see what was left of the jedi temple
>>
>>64125257
They fucking tell you it does in the opening crawl you dumb cunt.
>>
>>64125302
There might have actually been some sort of at least slight emotional impact with the audience if they showed a familiar planet being destroyed, though. A lot of people still think that was Coruscant because they were incredibly unclear about it.
>>
>>64125305
The opening crawl was in russian. How the fuck am I supposed to know that?
>>
>>64125167
I literally would not be surprised if they changed it at the last moment because a focus group associated Coruscant too strongly with the prequels. I don't think Hosnian Prime is even mentioned in the EU before Episode VII let alone the movies.
>>
>>64125376
>because they were incredibly unclear about it.
Literally the whole film
>>
>>64125257
>ignoring both times hux brings up the senate
>>
>>64125376
>at least slight emotional impact

It was pretty upsetting seeing that delicious brown Republic cutie emerge from the Senate just in time to witness her own Red-death
>>
File: Pepe Sheev smug.png (8 KB, 359x291) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Sheev smug.png
8 KB, 359x291
>>64125167

Coruscant is still under Imperial control.

LOL, you think blowing-up a death star is enough to stop them when they have 30,000 star destroyers?

According to canon, the Republic and Empire signed a treaty, and the Empire still controls about 1/3rd of the Galaxy. They other 2/3rds being Hutt/outlaws and the New Republic.
>>
>>64125583
>Coruscant is still under Imperial control
Is it? I thought the Empire was confined to a few outer rim territories or something.
>claim to win the war and sign a treaty
>haven't even taken your capital back
>Republic confirmed "wife's son" level on the cuck scale
>>
File: Star Wars 7 Finalizer.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars 7 Finalizer.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>64125658

The capital of the Republic was supposedly Chandrilla, from what I read. That's where Mon Mothma (head of Rebellion) lives, a wealthy human world. IDK what Jew Jew did by adding the Hosnian System planets as the new Senate for the Republic. There's supposedly some internal conflict with the New Republic afraid Mothma was becoming too much of a dictator, maybe that's why the move occured.

It would help to have some more world building when you're setting a movie fucking 30 years after ROTJ; but prequel-haters bitched about not having enough pew pew and wookies, so we got this ADHD mess to appease them.
>>
>>64125583
>According to canon, the Republic and Empire signed a treaty, and the Empire still controls about 1/3rd of the Galaxy. They other 2/3rds being Hutt/outlaws and the New Republic.
Why wasn't this explained in the film though??
>>
>>64125900
Why is there a star destroyer there when JJ Abrams forgot to put them in the actual movie?
>>
>>64125910
For a very similar reason as to why Coruscant isn't the capital of the Republic, they are afraid of including a "political scene" of any kind, even simple exposition, in order to avoid prequel comparisons.
>>
>>64125987
All the exposition was cut so JJ could cram his Star Trek scary monster scene into the movie
>>
>>64125167
My impression wasn't that it was supposed to be the capital, just where the Republic's fleet was located.
>>
>>64125987

Do you not remember the scene where Bix Nood and Popo escaped in a fancy 2-seater TIE-fighter?
>>
>>64126026
>Sea Monsters
>Geonosian Arena
>Anakin
>The Trash Compactor Monster
>Wampa
>Rancor

>implying every movie hasn't had a monster in it
>>
>>64126079
>all my most hated parts of the movies

at last I truly see
>>
>>64126079

ROTS had that gecko mount thing.
>>
>>64126034
According to the autists at Wookieepedia it was home to the senate and capital of the New Republic.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hosnian_Prime
I think they also mention the senate being there at some point, although you would never be able to tell because nobody in the movie has an even remotely believable reaction to the capital being completely destroyed.
>>
>>64126229
I think they mention the senate in the crawl, I don't remember hearing them ever name the planet. When they saw the flames streaking through the sky someone said "The Republic!" and then they immediately worried about not having the Republic's fleet.
>>
>>64125900
>>64125167

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chandrila

>New Republic rotates its capital based on elections

Likely, the current Chancellor at the time was from Hosnian Prime, so it was the current capital when Hux blew it up.
>>
>>64126128
>arena being the worst part of episode 2
nigga please
>>
I am not even trying to be a contrarian but holy shit do I miss Lucas so much. There is just going to be absolutely no care to detail in world building in these films. It's a great tragedy that we had to pick between Lucas having full control and Lucas not being there at all.
>>
>>64125583

Didn't they add those scenes of Coruscant celebrating at the end of RotJ? Are they not canon now?
>>
>>64126453
>Episode VII
>THE FORCE AWAKENS

>Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

>With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

>Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts…
Never mentioned the Senate, hosnian prime, or the peace treaty between the empire and the republic.
>>
>>64125376
>emotional impact

You mean like people cheering because that boring shit planet from prequels got destroyed?
>>
File: prog feel it heatman.png (252 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
prog feel it heatman.png
252 KB, 1024x1024
what if Lucas worked with JJ
>>
>>64125583

40% of the galaxy is uncharted Unknown Regions.

Empire controlled 30% of the galaxy at the peak of it's power. It controls less than half of that now.
>>
>>64126894
>Empire controlled 30% of the galaxy at the peak of it's power.
Is this canon?
>>
>>64126981
Are you?
>>
>>64126746

Maybe it was just a localized riot that got put down later.

IDK because Jay Jay Binks decided to fellate OT hardliners instead of trying to world build.
>>
>>64126894
Why is 40% uncharted when hyperspeed exists and can be used as conveniently as it was in TFA?
>>
>>64127105

According to EU, the original hyperspace lanes were charted by an ancient extra-galactic race called the "Celestials"; who taught other races how to use them, also The Force.

Making a new hyperspace lane isn't so easy.
>>
>>64127181
None of this applies to TFA.

A lot of the pacing problems in TFA is because of JJ's abuse of hyperspace.
>>
>>64127181
>EU
smugbaseballplayerincasualclothing.jpg
>>
>>64127320

Weren't those glowing space people that Yoda talked to in Clone Wars Celestials? I can't remember.

Clone Wars is canon though, because Lucas had direct control over it.
>>
>>64127105
Well there's between 100 billion and 400 billion stars in our galaxy for comparison, and for all we know the Star Wars galaxy is substantially larger. Even if civilizations capable of mapping the whole rise from time to time that information can be lost over millions or billions of years, and become obsolete anyway due to celestial movement.
>>
>>64127181
Didn't the Rakatans invent hyperspace?
>>
>>64127473

Celestials had Rakatans as slaves before they vanished so....
>>
>>64126069
Where were the star destroyers when it was time for actual ship combat?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.