[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i just re-watched the prequels and i have to say these actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
so i just re-watched the prequels and i have to say these actually get a lot of undeserved hate. you can tell there was love and craft put into these worlds. varied creatures, some of the most alien and beautiful worldbuilding i've ever seen. yeah the script is bad but holy shit these settings and designs are beautiful. these are a work of a man who cares deeply for star wars.

>phantom menace
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

>clone
character design - 9/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 5/10

>sith
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

i would rank them above TFA, below the OT.
>>
We have finally entered a new age of /tv/ memedom
>>
memes
>>
>>64121434
>>64121432

>OP makes valid points

LEL MEMES!! DUDE PLINKETT LMAOO!!!!!!
>>
Jar Jar was a classic "fool" character, right out of Shakespeare. It's a tradition as old as time. If you can't see how Jar Jar is patrician as fuck, you're literally a Redditor incapable of forming your own opinions.
>>
File: asian.jpg (54 KB, 800x804) Image search: [Google]
asian.jpg
54 KB, 800x804
>/tv/ defending prequels
>>
>>64121445
>OP states his opinion and people disagree with it

OMG head back to reddit, Redditlettermedia, Disneyshill, JIDF
>>
>>64121452
lol
>>
>>64121412
If Lucas wasn't surrounded an army Yes mans the prequels had potential to be better than the OT.
>>
>It ain't memes starts playing
>>
>>64121529
>Yes mans
>>
I wouldn't go as far as to rank them above TFA, but ROTS can be equal.

PM and AOTC however are a bit weak, especially the latter.

5>4>6=7=3>1>2

All in all good movies though.
>>
>>64121412
Even reposting this pasta as bait is just embarrassing.
A new low for /tv/.
>>
prequels have much more sheev than TFA too
>>
File: KitFisto-SithSnapshot.jpg (67 KB, 549x755) Image search: [Google]
KitFisto-SithSnapshot.jpg
67 KB, 549x755
how do you defend THIS
>>
to take a short break from memeing, the OT is overrated and the PT gets too much flak. Casuals are even capable of seeing how clumsy parts of the PT are, so they think they're impressive when they point them out.
>>
>>64121596
Defend what?
>>
>>64121596

>Kit Fisto

What the fuck was Lucas on when he named these people?
>>
>>64121452
>Jar Jar was a classic "fool" character, right out of Shakespeare.

>"Now the melancholy god protect thee, and the tailor make thy doublet of changeable taffeta, for thy mind is a very opal." - Feste the Fool

>"How wude!" - Jar Jar Binks
>>
>tfw im 21 and grew up with the Prequels and view them as fun movies
>see other people my age vehemently hate Prequels as if they were around for the OT because the internet told them to
fuckin sheep
>>
File: who killed hannibal.png (415 KB, 848x768) Image search: [Google]
who killed hannibal.png
415 KB, 848x768
>>64121412
>this pasta, again

We've had over a decade to come to terms with how awful the prequels are. If they were truly hidden gems of greatness like this new /tv/ meme is trying to make them out to be, you would have seen a public opinion reversal on them by now.

I have to admit though, whoever started the "prequels are good" meme is pretty clever. The redditors are actually starting to believe it.
>>
File: 001.jpg (39 KB, 350x225) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
39 KB, 350x225
>>64121596
Future or father?
>>
>>64121790

>I have bad taste
>people with better taste are brainwashed

lol, kay homo
>>
>>64121790

I'm like this. Same age, grew up with the prequels.

I watched through the prequel trilogy yesterday, and sat there thinking "Everyone tells me to hate these but I can't help but enjoy them."

I can see the glaring flaws, but I honestly couldn't care
>>
>>64121907

This, Sheev alone makes the PT worth watching. It's not amazing cinema, but they're FUN movies with character and a definitive style. TFA has none of this.
>>
I dare anyone who 'likes' the prequels to defend the character of Anakin Skywalker in them. That's the real heart of the festering rot. Anakin is fucking AWFUL in every movie he's in. In TPM he's annoying. In AOTC he's STILL annoying and also insufferable. In ROTS he's a bitch and his fall to the Dark Side is the most contrived bullshit ever. I was actually glad when he put the suit on because at least my memory of Darth Vader was intact, but Lucas ruined that too with NOOOOOOOOO.

Go on. Tell me how Anakin Skywalker is a good character in the prequels.
>>
>>64121907
>>64122005

its bad b-but at least its fun!!!!

>this is how low PT faggots are dropping
>>
>>64121790
Star Wars is corny as fuck. The OT is even cornier than the prequels but if anyone admitted to that they would be wrong because muh originals.

All the movies have their good and bad points but they are all entertaining.
>>
>>64121907

Me too

21, grew up with them as well as the OT, loved them all, played Battlefront like an addiction

I pity the oldfags who had to watch them with hyper-criticism and scrutiny
>>
>>64121596
>how do you defend THIS

Easily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0cO-x70iQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-t9GlT9qmk
>>
TFA and the prequels both had stanzas that rhymed with the OT but with key differences. The poetry in the prequels was mostly obvious character/visual nods. TFA's poetry was key plot structure and story development.

One is more obvious which is why it gets more hate but the other is clearly more crucial and damaging to the integrity of TFA to the trained cinema goers eyes
>>
>>64122145
Episode I's plot is as similar to A New Hope's as the plot of TFA.
>>
>>64121412
I like all six films.
>>
>saying TFA was worse than the prequels.

Contrarian faggot. I can't wait for school to start again.
>>
>>64121445
>op posts already stale pasta
>there are retards on both sides who eat it up

>>64121452
>more pasta
>>
>>64122203
It has similar elements but not as much as TFA. TFA was almost a remake of A New Hope.
>>
>>64122005

>prequels fun
>tfa not fun

Jesus does your handler know you're on the internet?
>>
So sick of the prequels are now good but only bc episode 7 came out
/pol/ was...
>>
>>64122032

even the prequel supports have to admit the writing was clunky at best and awful at worst.

but at least the movies were new, ambitious, fun and immersive. TFA was none of those things except fun.

The prequels were an admirable failure. TFA wasnt even an attempt.
>>
>>64122291

and they admitted they'd do as much

>let's make a soft reboot with a total rehash of all elements of the OT, pretty visuals, and cheap story lines

How anyone can think that is "better" as a Star Wars film than the prequels that actually attempted new things is beyond me
>>
>>64121412

>implying Ep II wasnt one of the single worst movies of the 2000's
>>
>>64122291
I was more excited for Rogue One than TFA.
>>
>>64122276
So was Episode I. Kid on Tatooine leaves in order to train as a Jedi. He ends up blowing up the enemy base and receives an award in a large ceremony at the end. At least TFA remade Episode IV using new characters.
>>
>th-the new movies out so it's time to find a contrarian opinion of the series!
>>
>>64121445
>op posts two sentences and ranks movies on 3 arbitrary criteria
>>
>>64122291
>but at least the movies were new, ambitious, fun and immersive.
Except that they were none of those things. Especially "new." See>>64122344
>>
>>64122344
>>64122382

the "not-Empire" is utterly boring, the "not-Death Star" is cringeworthy, and the droids and Trade Federation, for all their "boring"-ness, were still new, and fairly radical.
>>
He's got a point, the worlds the prequels built are fucking great.
Pic related: what happens when you seperate the prequel settings from the movies
>>
I'm watching The Clone Wars show right now and fuck it's pretty great. Love the banter with Obi Wan and Anakin.
>>
>>64122032
I've defended the PT even before the new movie came out. Haven't seen TFA so I can't comment, but the claims of it being a rehash of ANH is... concerning.

He's actually perfect in TPM minus one scene, maybe two where the acting is off, but we're talking about child actor here so you have to be a special kind of autistic retard to judge them with the same standards as you would an adult. In regards to teenage/adult Anakin, I agree that the angst can be too over the top at times. Maybe it's a combination of the acting, the dialogue, the directing, etc. Star Wars has never been subtle or restrained though, and the angst is as offputting as the camp was in the OT. They're the same shit.
>>
>>64121412
So I just rewatched the prequels and I have to say anyone who doesn't think they're an ugly computerized mess probably doesn't remember what the world was like before Halo
>>
>>64122423

The droids were only there so that they could be carved up by the thousands with lightsabers and still have the movies be PG.

Next two movies you've got armies of identical cgi clones and droids mowing each other down and THERES NO REASON TO GIVE A SHIT. It's just droids and clones shooting each other and why does anybody care.

Prequel babbys are the worst.
>>
>>64121412

I agree with this. Rewatched them all before TFA and realised I don't hate them that much and even liked 3. This comes after rewatching the OT and realising I was glad to have seen them as a child, otherwise I would not have been impressed much, even 5.

Sorry, Lucas.

As to TFA, I can't separate SW in general from just that movie, so my opinion is mixed. I think it's a solid SW entry and I hope they'll do even better next time.

I hope they slow down on CGI though.
>>
>>64122423
That's subjective, but you can't call Episode I original when it borrows not just plot elements from Episode IV, but even most of its main characters.
>>
Let's be real here

The prequels were mediocre to decent early 2000s sci fi movies. The hate comes from the fact that they're STAR WAR MOVIES

People were expecting a movie in the same tone and style as Empire but with better effects.
>>
File: 1440007334453.png (5 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1440007334453.png
5 KB, 625x626
>>64121412
>phantom menace
>plot - 7/10
>>
>>64122645
It still managed to recruit the new generation of viewers.
>>
>>64121412
>world building 10/10
good one
>>
>>64121412

oh yeah

absolutely

you have great taste OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v69uph7Azs
>>
>>64121412
Good, except ROTS ha a plot of at least 8, probably 9.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.