[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can the Jedi Order, a long-standing and famous group, be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: 60years.jpg (208 KB, 924x711) Image search: [Google]
60years.jpg
208 KB, 924x711
How can the Jedi Order, a long-standing and famous group, be considered a myth when it's only been about 60 years since the events of Episode III?

The galaxy is full of old aliens, such as Maz, for whom the entire saga so far has just been a blip in their lifetime.

Relatively, the life and death of Anakin Skywalker, the rise and fall of the Empire, and the extermination of the Jedi, is incredibly recent history.

So why are they trying to make out as if it was all the stuff of legends?
>>
>>64116320
Shitty story writing.
>>
>>64116320
>implying Star Wars had any planning/foresight WHATSOEVER besides the original trilogy (or arguably, besides ANH and ESB)

Face it, Star Wars is a meme franchise with no consistency or coherence.
>>
>>64116320
Just turn your brain off, bro!
>>
>>64116320
The galaxy is fucking huge and there aren't that many Jedi. Your average desert foraging shitter has never seen a Jedi and probably doesn't know anyone who has either. The Emperor probably ran some histroy-erasingmajor propoganda in all the places that matter too.

Consider how the only 2 characters that mention how Jedi are "myth" are the 1984-indoctrinated soldier and a resident of Bumfuckistan
>>
>>64116645
Yeah just ignore that the Jedi had a massive temple on Coruscant, the capital of the galaxy, right across from the political buildings
>>
In the same way that the freemans have powers irl but no one believes it.
>>
>>64116698
these debates would be more fun if people didn't parrot RLM lines
>>
>>64116698
Star Wars is a meme franchise with no consistency or coherence.

This.
>>
>>64116698
???
That's exactly it. Everyone was forced to keep silent and ignore the Jedi. It was forbidden to even say the word by the Empire. Everything about them had to go including their history.

Fucking duh?
>>
>>64116698
Yes, because Rey is an educated resident of the biggest metropolis in the Galaxy
>>
This is just my thought and have no word of George to back it up, but I believe the original idea for Jedi was that they were loosely associated individuals or groups who were wandering heroes. Even in their time they were probably uncommon and seen as urban myths by some. I do not believe there was an entire organized order or even an academy, but rather true singular apprenticeships like a knight and squire, until EU made it into such a large part of the mythos.

>there's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny
This line became really stupid in light of the prequels. Han was alive during the Clone Wars and should at least have heard of the Jedi generals and the order.
>>
there are no interplanetary anime message boards for people to talk on and share stories.
>>
>>64116732
If you think it's wrong, I'd love to read your rebuttal
>>
>>64116806
believing in the existence of Jedi != believing in the Force
>>
>>64116698
You have to forget that the prequels happened, because JJ certainly did.
>>
I don't know, but I found it pretty realistic that a bimbo bitch doesn't know a single thing about history, even when it happened less than 100 years ago.
Imagine asking a bimbo who fought in WWII, in our world, you'd probably get similar results.
>>
>>64116860
We all did. Fuck the prequels.
>>
>>64116698
For all we know they demolished that shit within the year of Sheev's ascension
>>
>>64116698
Again, resident shitters of outer rim planets probably don't know shit about coruscant.

How many people in Africa know what a samurai is?
>>
y'all forget that jar jar abrams cant see things realistically.
he just wants an"epic" lens flare of a story.
>>
File: vader_thumbs_up.jpg (17 KB, 300x355) Image search: [Google]
vader_thumbs_up.jpg
17 KB, 300x355
>>64116911
Dis nigga gets it
>>
>>64116320

Prequels are trash. Disney will remake them.
>>
>>64116849
Well, I'm from Minnesota, but I've never been to Washington D.C. I'm sure there's a bunch of relatively important organizations that have headquarters there, but I have no idea they exist.

So the idea that people from other planets weren't familiar with the Jedi as an established political organization isn't really far-fetched. I do think the whole "Jedi are a myth" thing is overdone, but the idea is somewhat believable.
>>
>>64116911

Exactly, Like murricans cannot even find Europe on a map.
>>
Consider the holocaust. The majority of people actually thinks it happened, despite its supposedly massive scale and literally millions of victims. However, it is nothing more than a product of propaganda by a zionist government.

It's the same with the Jedi order, just in reverse.
>>
>>64117121
Oy, this schmuck again.
>>
>>64116911
In general, that and
>>64116860
that are good points. Still, in the prequels, the Jedi were recognized as such far too often to think people were rather oblivious to them. It's one of the worse offences the prequels have done, actually destroying the myth.

Also, if what the Starkiller base blew up actually was Coruscant, they just killed billions of people who might actually have known the Jedi on a more personal level, the other planets notwithstanding.
>>
>>64117205
Second quote should be
>>64116853
>>
>>64116900

Even better: He built a palace atop it. Not only because it signified his crushing the order, but because it was itself built atop an ancient Sith shrine.
>>
>>64116320
There were only a few thousand Jedi and trillions upon trillions of different being in the galaxy. The Jedi were rare as hell.
>>
>>64116320
they were basically mi5, they didn't control shit
>>
>>64117121
Thanks for the analogy, it really clarified it all for me. It actually makes sense now.
>>
>>64117058
Are you saying you don't believe in the existence of the Department of Justice, Congress, Treasury Deparment, etc, or are you alluding to tin-foil hat secret squirrel organizations? Because Jedi operated openly and even in a uniform of sorts.

Their building may have been at the capital, but their members operated all over the galaxy, including commanding the Republic's military during the first war in a thousand years.
>>
Imagine the Roman Empire and all of their conquered territories. Do you really think all of the peasant schmucks beyond the Mediterranean were aware of all the goings-on within Rome itself? Should be the same concept in the Star Wars universe, especially since most of the action in the OT took place in Outer Rim worlds.

>>64117121
also this
>>
There were what, less than a thousand total Jedi at their peak? The republic consisted on the order of hundered trillion citizens.

You are more likely to have seen real life special forces in combat than you would be to see Jedi in action, because that's basically what the Jedi were. Just like most Navy SEALs don't go around bragging about their combat exploits (4chan copypasta excluded) most of the time if you encountered a Jedi, you probably wouldn't have even realized it.

And that's not even getting into the fact that Sheev actively suppressed info about them once he came into power.
>>
>>64117205
It was the Hosnian system that was destroyed. It's relevance was not stated in the movie but it must have been an important republic system judging from their clothes and building sizes
>>
>>64117084
I'm surprised nobody replied seriously to this syrian b8

I'm proud, /tv/
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-24-22-00-27.png (410 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-24-22-00-27.png
410 KB, 1080x1920
>>64117084
Europe is continent, not a country, retard.
>>
>>64116544
>ANH and ESB
Are you joking? A New Hope is almost nothing like George planned. And core shit like Darth Vader being Luke's father wasn't even conceived until the second draft of ESB.
>>
the jedi were shadowy like the men in black/nsa even before the fall, once the empire got kicking it could heavily suppress anything and everything jedi/old republic plus murder all of them, so yeah one or two generations would only know jedi by vague word of mouth....whats hard to understand?
>>
>>64116320
>famous group
>>
>>64116849
are you slow or just pretending....?
>>
>>64116911
I can't speak for Africans, but I am an American-born Chinese and when I was deployed to Afghanistan, all the locals all wanted to talk to me about Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

When I moved out to Herat City, there was a group of kids who would gather and stare at me when I got off the truck. I'd look at them for a moment, the go on with my business. After about a week of this, when I looked back at them they suddenly broke out in Bruce Lee noises and tried to do spinning kicks when I looked at them.
>>
>>64116645
Even Anakin, a slave on a backwater outer rim world knew about the jedi. He also knew about angels though...
>>
>>64116320

plenty of people think the holocaust is a myth and that's also about 60 years ago
>>
>>64118101
But those are stupid fuckers that don't believe anything that has no base in their personal experience
>>
>>64118160
If only you could see the irony in your post.
>>
>>64116320
I've had a problem with this even back when Han didn't believe it. One guy not believing in the force itself (not the Jedi if I recall) is something...

Not believing the Jedi Order and the force after 60 years
And not believing in the FUCKING EMPIRE WHO CONTROLLED THE GALAXY AND REBELLION AND LUKE SKYWALKER AND DARTH VADER AFTER ALL OF 30 YEARS is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>64116860
>>64116900
They blew Up Corusant in the shitty copycat excuse of a movie VII you idiots. They destroyed the Senate (for whatever fucking reason because the Senate couldn't be more fucking incompetent) on Corusant with the Starkiller
>>
>>64118360
Senpai, that wasn't Coruscant...
>>
OP here

I guess it's a fair point about Finn and Rey not necessarily knowing about the history given their circumstances, but I kind of got the impression they were implying that this was the case galaxy-wide.

In terms of the trillions of people vs the small number of jedi, it's all relative. I've always interpreted the Star Wars galaxy 'network' of people and government to be equivalent to that of Earth's. The galaxy is big, but the inter-connections and technology are better.
>>
>>64117847

>implying Star Wars had any planning/foresight WHATSOEVER

Face it, Star Wars is a meme franchise with no consistency or coherence.

Fixed it for you, bb ;^)
>>
>>64117469
You're fucking moron. I don't think spaceships, lightsabers and ancient alien technology existed in 1AD.
>>
>>64118609
I certain Finn knew about the existence of Jedi. He must know something about the Force as he witnessed Kylo Ren use it in the opening scene. He also knows some Galactic history (albeit likely revised to make the First Order look better) because he recognizes the name Han Solo as a rebellion general, unlike Rey who immediately thinks of his smuggling exploits.
>>
>>64116320
How many people believe in the holocaust?

Not only are myths easy to CREATE in the space of 60 years - facts are easy to push into the obscurity of myth.
>>
>>64116832
This actually gets me thinking, with all the technology in Star Wars, is there anything like the Internet or television? Something that connects people?
>>
>>64118160
Oy vey.
>>
File: 1402453478700.png (48 KB, 519x606) Image search: [Google]
1402453478700.png
48 KB, 519x606
>>64117172

FOUND THE KIKE
>>
Just ignore the prequels and it makes sense, always ignore the prequels.
>>
>>64119030
>>64117121

/pol/ pls go.
>>
George really shoulda started the new trilogy with the Jedi Order already dying if you ask me.

Like it had been slowly dying for decades because force sensitives were dwindling or something.
>>
>>64118395
Do you have a better explanation of what planet it was?

Certainly looked like Coruscant.
The Senate resides on Coruscant.

It was Coruscant.
>>
I think it's supposed to be like Dune, these people don't have internet or whatever. So some people know about the jedi, others don't. Many people probably thought the Jedi were a myth even during the prequels.
>>
Because the Jedi Coucil was the most ineffective body in the world and got cut down in literally one day? Why would anybody remember them?
>>
>>64119396
It was the Hosnian system that got destroyed, you mouthbreathing mongoloid
>>
>>64119751
I'm the mouthbreather when you know that shit by name after watching it once, and in what system Coruscant resides? Lol
>>
>>64120160
>Google doesn't exist

wew laddie
>>
>>64120160
>26
Coruscant is on a crescent moon you fucking trogg
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.