[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you think he gave up the rights to Star Wars? It wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 720x480
Why do you think he gave up the rights to Star Wars?

It wasn't the money. It couldn't have been. I think he just didn't want to disappoint the fans again. The poor reception of the prequels seems to have broken him.

He didn't want to do a bad job. Things just didn't work out.

I'm sorry George. I'm sorry I ever doubted you.
>>
He literally was butthurt on all the hate he got for the prequels. He started saying that the movies were always intended for children and that he only ever wanted to entertain children. The fanbase started to hate him even more. He sold the rights and I remember that he made a statement saying that he only ever wanted to entertain.
>>
he finished the Saga he set out to do, and probably knew he could cash out and let whoever fuck with it as long as they kept his name out of it

I think 1-6 were really the most important thing to him than the money or the business stuff

heres some music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_YozYt8l-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awgAzxysyu0
>>
>>64075197
He did entertain. He did.

Fuck I'm sad.
>>
>>64075197
plus this, he obviously realized that his fans will never realize that what made Star Wars good was that it didn't pander to every fag from comic-con who had a complaint
>>
He got married again and had another baby, the wifey probably wouldn't want him spending all his free time on another three star wars movies, considering the first trilogy cost him his first marriage. The man's almost 70, and also the incessant bullying and hate he receives daily probably didn't help either. I still love you George, and I wish they used your story treatments over the creative void that is the "movie for the fans" that is force awakens.

We knew exactly how the prequels were going to end yet they still had a 100X more original plot than Ep 7 and what looks to be the rest of this trilogy
>>
The Jews threatened his family
>>
Sour grapes.

When asked why he handed over the reigns of the franchise, Lucas replied:
>“The issue was ultimately that they looked at the stories and they said, ‘We want to make something for the fans,'” Lucas said. “People don’t actually realize it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships. So they decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, ‘fine…. I’ll go my way and I let them go their way.'”

These are the kind of comments that get under people’s skin because you can see Lucas still pushing the blame onto the fans for not properly receiving his movies. If it weren’t “about the spaceships” then why do the prequels fill the screen with spaceships and throw an ungodly amount of other visual effects wizardry at the screen? It’s disingenuous to say it’s about family problems and then give your actors wooden dialogue and hollow relationships. I don’t mind that Lucas wants to stand by his movies rather than admit defeat, but he makes it sound like he had some deep family drama waiting for us if only those pesky fans didn’t misunderstand Star Wars.

I would still love to know specifically what Lucas had in mind. There was a brief period where he was a consultant on the movie, but it sounds like once Disney decided to discard his treatments, he was done trying to be a part of the Star Wars universe going forward, which is probably for the best. If the films were a success, his credit would be marginalized and if they were a failure, he would probably get an unfair portion of the blame.

Lucas also admits that Disney was not keen to have him around, but also
>“If I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble because they’re not going to do what I want them to do, and I don’t have the control to do that any more, and all it would do is just muck everything up.”
>>
>he only ever wanted to entertain children

I think many of the things that happen in the prequels would disagree with that.
>>
"The fans are going to like it"

That's how he described TFA. If it's not the most subtle jab you've heard against the fans, I don't know what is. He recognizes the fanbase for the manchildren they are. They can't deal with change. So when a new movie comes out that is a literal ANH copypaste, he knows fans will flock to that like flies flock to shit because they are familiar with it. Just look how much RedditLetterMedia loved it.
>>
File: terrible person.png (544 KB, 533x803) Image search: [Google]
terrible person.png
544 KB, 533x803
It's because he's a terrible person
>>
>>64075262

You can make a movie about a jedi who has to take a really heavy shit but can't find a toilet and that would be more original than Ep 7, but it wouldn't make it good or better in any way whatsoever.

when will the ep 1 is a masterpiece meme end?
>>
>>64075321
hes just mad he was to old to start work on this star wars rehash kotor rehash trilogy.
>>
>>64075153
It's because of RedditLetterMedia trashing based prequels.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 553x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 553x369
At least Obama felt bad enough for him to give him a medal
>>
>>64075153
I wonder if he sees all the hype now and wishes he had done the 7th flick himself
>>
>>64075406
7 hype was nothing like the prequel hype son, sorry
>>
>>64075430
This.

Prequels were like a once in a lifetime thing.
>>
>>64075406
A few months from now and nobody will want to be in JJ or Disney's seat when the fans come around and see this trash for what it is.
>>
>>64075430
This

>waiting in line for 7
>no one in costume, mostly normie reddit-looking types
>really quiet
>occasional awkward wookie noise
>>
>>64075395
FOR WHAT?

FOR WHAT?!
>>
>>64075395
When will they give Chewie his medal?
>>
>>64075493
being one of the most influential people in american film industry? for good or worse

He pretty much invented the blockbuster trilogy
>>
>>64075468

That won't happen. They control the narrative. Just wait for them to start pushing the meme that Episode VIII will be the good, "artsy" one. [JUST LIKE EMPIRE IT'S P O E T R Y]

And then once they tease the reveal that their main characters are literal homos- they'll have the public by the balls for good.
>>
>>64075468
It'll be just like Star Trek into darkness.

Normies loved it at first, but few months passed and you could read nothing but hate for it.
>>
>>64075197
They were intended for children though

Do people really think a character like jar jar is supposed to be anything but that

Have people seen the garbage being shown to kids today. The minions make jar jar look like high brow subtle humor
>>
black penises are just oh so delish you guys just need to find a nice big nigger to fill your mouth with his lovely spunk to revive the permanent state of childlike awe hiding whiten you
>>
>>64075526
You could be right. It's quite impressive just what a hold Disney has on social media. Maybe that's what they wanted by forcing in so much SJW shit. Control the vocal mouths of social media that will shill for your movie out of political loyalty.
>>
>>64075493
It's called the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The highest civilian honor.

Awarded for: "An especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."
>>
>>64075229
Also his ex-wife's editing
>>
Didn't want the stress of managing Lucasfilm & shit anymore, so just sold it off

He could have got like 20 billion from Disney, Disney stole it for 4bil
>>
>>64075430
>>64075453

I was about 9 or so when Ep 1 came out and I do remember the hype and tv coverage to be absolutely immense. Bigger than anything I've seen since including ep 7. I also remember the reactions after people saw the movies and the massive disappointment that followed. I myself was never a huge fan of the movies, I remember seeing it at the theater with my cousin and the thing that I remember from then was that while I liked the lightsaber fights and loved the podrace, I had no clue whatsoever what the actual movie was about.
>>
>>64075539
jar jar may be a joke at first, but dunno anon

that sith theory can be real

I mean he really spends so much time around Palpatine
>>
>>64075333
>when will it end
It wont, it's a public consciousness thing now

Hope you enjoy callbacks, there will be more
>>
>>64075539
>Have people seen the garbage being shown to kids today.

I agree, it's disgusting. Mr. Rogers would be rolling in his grave.
>>
>>64075562
nice meme
>>
After seeing TFA I'm actually sad it's not being done by George.

Abrams has made a solid movie but that is also the problem, it's just boring and average. The prequels at least tried.
>>
>>64075594
I could actually completely see George doing whatever his wife tells him.
>>
>>64075596
Without George Star Wars is dead.
>>
Someone posted a long in depth interview in the George Lucas appreciation thread yesterday.
He was making return of the jedi. Both of the Star wars movies out were very well received and were never surpassed. Lucas was terrified of creating a bad movie or making wrong decisions. He explained how difficult it is to judge what you're doing when you're so involved in it. The prequel bashing probably hit him very hard
>>
>>64075619
this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpiEk42_O_Q
>>
>>64075619
Which is ridiculous since he actually made a lot of good things in ROTS. The prequel bashing should've really only been limited to Episode 1 and 2.
>>
>>64075576
I'm convinced jar jar was going to be a big deal after hearing Lucas changed the movies after criticism and jar jar was hinted at being a big deal

Maybe not being a sith, but eps 2 and 3 could have made 1 not as cringworthy in retrospect

But again, far jokes and stupid shit like that was clearly aimed at children. The man child fanbase cannot compute
>>
He was greased into them Eyes Wide Shut orgies and seduced by the dark side via fear and indulgence. That's it and that's all.
>>
>>64075430
>>64075572
And yet more people have seen 7 to the point it's broken literally every box office record and even dethroned Avatar....what fucking now cucks.
>>
>>64075596
All I wanted was a post-episode VI movie not written by Lucas but co-directed by him.
>>
>>64075616
Nah its just watered down

Like with old soda. It still exists today but it tastes like shit
>>
Why all this love for Lucas?

He was a lazy piece of shit. The prequels were bad because he put NO effort into the script and even less when directing. Have you seen the behind the scenes footage? He literally sits in his chair and watches on a TV what's happening on the set*

*An entire studio in green screen and two actors walking and talking = 90% of episode 2 and 3
>>
> Star Wars is my baby, not theirs. I enriched their childhoods and all I get is hate. Without Star Wars their lives would be as empty as outer space.

- George Lucas radio interview in 2011, talking about abusive adult Star Wars fans.
>>
>>64075661
?

can you read..?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhhACgJJkc4

I was recently looking up some videos about Star Wars in general and this one made me quite sad. Maybe I'm just projecting, but the way JJ acts always seemed really condescending.

It's obvious George is somewhat pushing blame onto others
>You can't experiment, etc.
As if the reason the prequels bombed critically was his 'different approach' and not terrible execution, but man, you can feel that his spirit is broken.

I'm not gonna defend to prequels too much. They're bad, but it feels like at the very least 'he tried'. I think the problem is with SW he created something that was much bigger than himself and way too big for him to handle. While he does seem to have some sort of vision, I don't think he is as talented as people made him out to be. Even with the OT, but he was fortunate enough to manage it well enough in order for it to be immensly popular and successful. However, once his responsibility became bigger and his lack of talent more apparent, he screwed up badly.

This isn't really a hate or defend post. I just feel really bad for him.
>>
>>64075679
He's right
>>
>>64075642

Jar Jar was literally responsible for the creation of the empire. I wish I was making this shit up.
>>
>>64075669
Saying 1 is better than 2 isn't saying 1 is great

/tv/ as a whole needs to get this through their fucking heads
>>
>>64075642
>clearly aimed at children
>long, boring political senate hearings and similar shit
>Anakin burning alive in a volcano while screaming how much he hates Obi wan
>>
>>64075669
>woah dudes have you seen that epic RLM vide it's so funny Lucas is such a hack xD

Fuck off Reddit
>>
>>64075207
>he finished the Saga he set out to do,

This pretty much. His original outlines for 7-9 he made after New Hope did so well pretty much happened in Empire and Return. He planned for Luke to build a new lightsaber and fight the emperor in 9, but clearly realized amongst his outlines the story could be told in just 2 more films.

>as long as they kept his name out of it

His name appears several times in TFA, and not just the "Based on characters and creations by" bit.
>>
>>64075669
nigga almost died from heart failure due to stress making A New Hope.

Also still poured his own money into making the prequels and advancing film technology and pretty much created Pixar
>>
>>64075197
It makes sense considering the first thing he did after was make an (awful) totally CGI Kids movie, almost like an attempt at a redemptive statement of everything people hated in the prequels.

Too bad he failed
>>
>Lucas blaming the fans for prequel hate
>forgetting that he pulled the same shit with Red Tails, calling everyone racist because the movie was a piece of shit

He's just an asshole
>>
>>64075153
I do wonder. He seemed really content with there never being another movie, like incredibly adamant. After a while of doing nothing he seemed to be interested in doing a live action TV series, then suddenly the year after that he sold it to Disney.
>>
>>64075714

And notice how that movie is half decent?

When you care about the movie, it becomes good.

When you don't care, you get the boring prequels that look more like a video game than a movie.
>>
>>64075697
I'm aware

As it stands now he's just a useful idiot though

The jar jar is evil theory is purely hypothetical because it would have to have been based on 2 and 3 not getting changed
>>
>>64075705
You can't erase "creator of" lines in credits and shit

That's law
>>
>>64075590
I had the misfortune of discovering a YouTube channel, hundreds of thousands of views, of a guy just watching things. He does "reaction" videos, but most of the time just sits in silence, making occasional comments like: "what?" "Ha-ha!" "What was up with that?"
He has that typical faggy intro "hey guys, what's going on"
He makes a living off of recording his face and putting it in the corner of popular videos for children to watch. Hundreds of thousands of children.
>>
>>64075686
>that fake ass JJ laughing
>George being depressed because nobody wants to see experimental films
This man got conned
>>
>>64075714
Lucas and his boys were also pushing great CGI really hard tb.h
>>
>>64075686
>worried that the force doesn't get muddled into a bunch of garbaligook
>it does
>>
>>64075633
Nah, it was out of a book
>>
>>64075696
no hes not
he made zillions off retarded kids and now they still like his stupid shit because he was too good at it.
>>
>>64075747
In TFA credits it just said "based on characters created by George Lucas"

Seemed like they were giving him the finger a little bit, what do you guys think?
>>
>>64075686
>'he tried'.

If he had tried he would've spent more time on the script. He would've tried getting more from his actors and he would've taken the time to construct an actual set.
>>
>>64075669
>Why all the love for Lucas?
>He was a lazy piece of

Kindred spirit with people here
>>
>>64075778
The opening scene in ROTS still looks better than any of the CGI in TFA and most CGI found in movies today. Based George ILM
>>
>>64075669
>He literally sits in his chair and watches on a TV what's happening on the set*
He's shy ><
>>
>>64075793
Soft reboot tb.h
>>
>>64075700
>children means prepubescents
>something for everyone
The main draw was children because of toys

That doesn't mean it's only for children, just like movies like Shrek or Harry potter
>>
>>64075808

careful not to fall for it.jpg
>>
>>64075747
>>64075793
He's also credited as an Executive Producer you dumb cunts
>>
>>64075808
fucking this. people who vaguely whine muh cgi m-muh greenscreen don't even know what the fuck theyre criticizing, theyve just seen plebs nod along and go "hm yeah damn" when they say it so they keep parroting it
>>
File: image.jpg (752 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
752 KB, 1280x721
>>64075756
Why did this man have to die?

He genuinely cared about children and people and didn't want them being raised by this trash.
>>
"Star Wars was a terrible mistake, I wish I was David Lynch." - George Lucas
>>
>>64075832
watch that opening sequence and show me something better that has been released in the past 10 years. honestly
>>
>>64075756
As much hate as pew die pie gets its been brought to my attention that he's actually a decent role model

A spec of decent in a sea of shit, at least
>>
>>64075832
>TFA
>on the same level as ILM CGI
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PFFHHAHAHAHA
>>
>>64075819
Both Shrek and Harry Potter are for kids.

Just because you like it and you're 30 doesn't mean it isn't for kids.
>>
>>64075633
I love listening to Lucas talk about Star wars. How does he make it sound so beautiful when the reality is jar jar smelling eopi farts and stepping in poop
>>
>>64075868
>youtuber
>good role model for kids

Pick one and only one
>>
>>64075852
AOTC has some of the worst green screening out of all of them, but I think it's becauese the ILM guys kept wanting to insert themselves in shots or something. Several scenes have background characters that are not in the correct perspective or filming angle.
>>
>>64075153
>I'm sorry George. I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

Personally I kick myself for being ready to believe in him on the strength of American Graffiti.
>>
>>64075153
People criticizing his constantly changing shit finally got to him and pissed him off

Red Tails was a colossal flop

And he did it as a "fuck you" to everyone, where he pouted like a child and said some shit along the lines of "WELL I WON'T BE AROUND FOR PEOPLE TO KICK AROUD ANY MORE"

He could have sold it to lifelong friend Steven Spielberg who he knew would do it right. Ethically-speaking since Spielberg was an integral part of Indiana Jones he should have handed it over to Spielberg.

But he wanted to take the "fuck you" route out of anger of not being worshipped.
>>
>>64075886
What the fuck are you on about, that was my point

Those movies are for kids, but they have adult themes, jokes, and entertainment that most agegroups enjoy
>>
>>64075899
>IT WASA MEESA JEDI
>MEESA JAR JAR
>I WASA PRETENDED TO BE RETARDED HAHA
>>
>>64075661
>even dethroned Avatar

Already? It broke all the first weekend records, but surely it hasn't already broken the all time earnings record?
>>
>>64075310
You think space politics and hollow characters with no personality aren't entertainment for kids? Clearly you're knowledge is inferior to George
's.
>>
>Why do you think he gave up the rights to Star Wars?

He has a new child. He doesn't have an interest to pursue new films in his preferred image. He'd rather secure an enormous nest egg for his children, grandchildren, gchildren's children's children's children's children, etc.

I think he just wants to live and invest at this point; like most rich elderly men. No energy for the game. Just betting on it.
>>
>>64075686

>if you could be any character, who would you be
>"uh I don't know, I like all the characters"
>"jar jar binks"

He's so fucking salty it's making me thirsty
>>
>>64075795
I know, but the meaning of 'trying' is relative, even though I hate relativism.

He didn't create SW thinking
>Man, I'm just gonna get over with this shit and be done.
He tried to make a good movie, from his point of view. If this wasn't the case, then all the criticism wouldn't have hurt him that badly.

Just like everybody else, I also watched RLM's review and it was very obvious how lazy and comfortable he was while creating it, but from his point of view, that was all that needed to be done and all of his supporters enabled him to have this kind of view.

He tried in a lazy and bad way, but he still tried. It is still his fault for not realizing the errors of his way or trusting people who do nothing but validate him, meaning it is still his fault the prequels bombed, but all the hate sure hurt him a lot and it's quite sad to watch knowing while his intentions may have been lazy and not 'good', they have never been bad, either.
>>
>>64075686
I would feel bad for him too - after all the guy created Star Wars, LucasArts, Pixar and a bunch of technology and other shit that we all benefit from, and there's no denying he's copped a lot of hate from fans and it's gotta hurt on a personal level.

But then I remember those same fans made him a billionaire many times over, providing the cash to build his empire, making all the technological advancements possible - and my sympathy vanishes. It's like feeling bad for someone that mugged you.
>>
>>64075901
>I'm just going to disregard something out of hand
Ur a cunt m8

Look into him, he's not that bad. He just appeals to kids so it's hard to not hate him for coming off as a faggot
>>
>>64075923
this is a parody of reddit btw
>>
>>64075966
>the guy created Star Wars

The guy created the concept of star wars but it was the editors who salvaged the film from the reportedly terrible original cut who are responsible for it becoming a success
>>
File: star_wars_young_vader.png (575 KB, 972x453) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_young_vader.png
575 KB, 972x453
>>64075596
It's only solid in the sense of being generic and palatable enough to bring in ticket sales

As a Star Wars movie it utterly fails. Without all the dank references you might not even be able to tell

>mfw Vader's helmet is literally just an excuse to play the Imperial March at some point in the movie
>mfw it will never be explained who retrieved Luke's saber from Cloud City or how
>mfw it will never be explained how or why in the hell Han and Chewie would ever be in a position for the Falcon to "get stolen" and this is just an excuse to have the new characters find it and fly it
>mfw they will probably kill Chewie in VIII or IX as an excuse to make it Rey's new ship
>>
>>64075943
>hollow characters
Turn on a kids television channel right now and then repeat that after watching it.
>>
>>64075989
again, literally a meme parroted by reddit tier people

u tried though
>>
>>64075596
>The prequels at least tried.

They tried and fundamentally failed

I would take a movie that plays it safe but is well executed over a failed abortion any day
>>
>>64075989
Yep, his ex-wife also deserves a lot of the credit.
>>
>>64075989
>but it was the editors who salvaged the film from the reportedly terrible original cut
So you mean the editors actually edited the movie into something worth watching? Wow, it's almost like it's their jobs to do that.
>>
>>64075935
It's Christmas day, the movie has raked in 800mil so far, there's a weekend to look forward to, theaters are having 8am showings of Star wars to handle the demand, and it has tons of positive word of mouth. You better fucking believe it's going to beat Avatar.
>>
>>64075966
but he didn't steal the fans money, the fans gave him their money. It's self-mugging...
>>
>>64076013
>plays it safe
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>well executed
PFFFFFFFFFFHAHAHHAHAAHHAHA

JUST SOFT REBOOT MY NEW HOPE UP NOTFAM
>>
>Everyone shat on george for ten years after the prequels
>he gives away the rights
>TFA comes out and is fucking shit
>People praise it

He's probably on suicide watch now, turns out people don't care about world-building and politics behind a setting, they just want capeshit
>>
File: 1324889224801.jpg (24 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
1324889224801.jpg
24 KB, 640x576
>>64075493
>>64075395
>Lucas refused to film anything in America

>the ONLY part filmed in the US is the Endor scene, and only because there are no giant redwoods anywhere else

>he would rather movie an entire production crew to the other side of the planet to film a desert scene than go 400 miles away from where he lived to Nevada/southeastern California

>He even refused to attend the annual SW fan events in America; however he DID attend them in Europe

>He is the typically smug San Francisco liberal who doesn't see himself as an American but something above Americans

>Obama gives him an American medal for the arts
>>
>>64075998
>mfw they will probably kill Chewie in VIII or IX as an excuse to make it Rey's new ship
Or they'll just drop him off at Kashyyk as he no longer has a reason to stick around.
>>
>>64076002
>characters that have unique personalities
>characters with their own catch phrases
>characters that do more than just stand around and talk

Sounds like these cartoons have more depth than The Phantom Menace.
>>
>>64075686
>"If you could be any star wars character who would you be? "
>"I don't know, I like all the characte-JAR JAR BINKS"
I hope he stays snarky forever
>>
>>64075596
>it's just boring and average
Just like every JJ film. He's just slightly above Michael Bay
>>
File: Jorge.jpg (364 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Jorge.jpg
364 KB, 2000x1000
>>64076030
>George will never mug you
>>
>>64076050
>liberal giving a normal liberal a medal
i see nothing of interest here.
>>
>>64076050
Maybe he just likes to travel? Calm the fuck down triggered /pol/fag.

He's American as fuck. He lived the American dream and made billions through a good idea and hard work, after making a movie called American Graffiti.
>>
>>64075596
Yep. I wish they had Lucas as producer and get a good director (not JJ Plebrams, maybe Nolan) to direct it.
>>
>>64076057
aside from the ship that he's spent all his life on since meeting Han, his best friend, who is now dead.

Han would've wanted Chewie to have the Falcon, why would he just abandon it when it's the fastest ship in the galaxy and arguably a good luck charm?
>>
>>64076064
>unique personalities
full tv shows with hundreds of episodes barely have common tropes in character form, so no
>catch phrases make something not hollow
So jar jar saying meesa makes him less hollow. Perhaps he should have said bing bong after every line.
>do more than just stand around and talk
Character actions have little to do with nit being hollow, especially in kids movies. And even still, you're seriously implying you can't build a rich character if they're not "doin neat stuff"?

Go back to reddit if you're going to act retarded
>>
File: KOJIHIDEMA.png (178 KB, 473x394) Image search: [Google]
KOJIHIDEMA.png
178 KB, 473x394
I did everything I could, master Lucas. But Disne... I mean Konami fucked my shit up I couldn't resist to let it all go.

>A New Hope
Metal Gear Solid
>Empire Strikes Back
Sons of Liberty
>Return of the Jedi
Guns of the Patriots
>The Phantom Menace
Snake Eater
>Attack of the Clones
Peace Walker
>Revenge of the Sith
Ground Zeroes
>STAR WARS™ THE FORCE AWAKENS™
METAL GEAR SOLID™ V THE PHANTOM PAIN™ by KONAMI™
>>
>>64075262
>We knew exactly how the prequels were going to end yet they still had a 100X more original plot than Ep 7 and what looks to be the rest of this trilogy

Original plot doesn't make something good. Nobody watches Star Wars to see people talking about taxes and treaties for an hour.
>>
>>64076124
Nolan wouldn't touch it, he hasn't, wont, and probably wouldn't be good at making campy stuff
>>
>>64076176
>some desert bitch comes out of nowhere with a nigger deserter
>can somehow fly the fucking falcon amazingly well even though she has no pilot experience
>gets Han killed
>takes the ship even though she only knew him for a few days

Chewie got cucked so hard
>>
The negative reception of the prequels finally broke him

He was so full of hope and genuinely believed what he was making was good during the production of TPM

After the backlash he started to damage control a bit, but when even Revenge of the Sith and then Kingdom of the Crystal Skull were panned he finally snapped
>>
Star Wars needs 3 things to be successful

1. A major producing figurehead (Not George)
2. A Director (Not George)/Major financial/Deadline difficulty to hamper George
3. A Hands off studio

Every Star Wars film without these properties failed to escalating degrees
>>
>>64076207
>Fellowship
ANH
>Two towers
ESB
>Return
Return

>Hobbit 1
TPM
>Hobbit 2
AOTC
>Hobbit 3
ROTS

>King Kong
The Force Awakens™
>>
>>64076176
Maybe Chewie believes they need it more and gives it to them, or maybe they'll make Rey save Chewies life so that he'll have to stick around even longer.
>>
>>64076224
>admitting you need epic explosions to like something
Ugh...
>>
>>64075925
He alienated the children with trade negotiations and Senate hearings that adults found uninteresting, and alienated adults with toilet humor and a 9 year old accidentally single handedly winning the battle of Naboo, when children actually just want lightsaber fights
>>
>>64076207

Force Awakens is objectively better than Phantom Pain. Phantom Pain mimics the prequels a lot more and is actually worse, we know that Big Boss is going to become the villain(just like anakin/vader), we the audience already knows what happens we just want to see how and Kojima actually manages to fuck this up.
>>
>>64076258
>maybe they'll make Rey save Chewies life so that he'll have to stick around even longer.

Han saving chewie's life and the whole life debt thing isn't canon
chewie will stick around out of his allegiance to leia and luke
>>
>>64076245
>a hands off studio

Disney is the complete opposite so that will never happen.
>>
>>64076245
Phantom Menace is bad, ATOC is bad but Revenge is actually a decent flick. I personally think Revenge is better than TFA as a stand alone movie, the problem Revenge has is the rest of the prequel baggage
>>
He needs to go back to making small arthouse films

If he could bury the hatchet with Kurtz and make something meaningful with him i would be genuinely excited.

George needs creative conflict and budget limitations to thrive as a creator
>>
>>64076256
No, the Hobbits were way worse relatively
>>
>>64076256

but Hobbit 2 was the best one desu
>>
>>64076277
>Admitting I don't want to see boring and terrible dialogue.
>>
>>64076296
Sure Revenge and TFA are cool popcorn flicks, but that's it, they are missing the scope and the human drama from Empire, and missing the wanderlust and fantasy of A New Hope
>>
>>64076325
>Hobbit 2

WEW

>Build up the whole movie to fight a dragon then move the fight to the beginning of the next movie
>>
>>64076296
>I personally think Revenge is better than TFA as a stand alone movie, the problem Revenge has is the rest of the prequel baggage

Did you mean to switch Revenge and TFA in that first part of the sentence?
>>
>>64075153

It's because he wanted to make peace.

Fans get their wish of "if only another, competent director was brought in." Even I imagined that it would be simply idyllic if the prequels were remade by another director. That, and George no longer has to carry the weight of a fandom that hates him, and its perfectly fine because he's already completed his vision anyway. He feels no real need to be attached to further Star Wars projects.

Everybody walks away happy.

At least, that was they way it was supposed to be.;_;
>>
>>64076286
You sound like a man child
>>
>>64076346

You are absolutely insane if you think TFA lacked human drama
>>
File: hanshotfirst.jpg (139 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
hanshotfirst.jpg
139 KB, 500x300
Lucas absolutely snapped once the fans turned on him
He couldn't stand the status he once had being tarnished
>>
>>64076287
It's actually really funny how all of those things actually do apply to TFA

I had a bit of a chuckle
>>
File: 1397455557318.png (387 KB, 598x369) Image search: [Google]
1397455557318.png
387 KB, 598x369
>>64076347

>thinking the fight is anywhere near as important or interesting as the interaction between smog and bilbo
>>
>>64075153
It was the constant bitching about what he did with his story and his movies. If people didnt like it then they should have not bought anything that had to do with star wars. Pretty much he was tired of having to explain himself about a story that he thought of and wrote.

G R R Martin is in a simlar boat right now. It wouldnt surprise me that after his 6th book he just says fuck it and sells it all to a glorified fanboy (J J Abrams is that for the new star wars) and just retire.
>>
>>64076354
Nope, I meant taking each film on it's own, Revenge is better.

HOWEVER because of the rest of the prequel baggage, it is pulled down
>>
>>64076394
>he wears a "Han shot first" shirt in public

Holy shit he is fucking salty
>>
>>64076341
hey man, transformers just isn't my cup of tea. It's cool if you like it though no big deal
>>
>>64076296

Revenge had all of the pants on head retarded angsty anakin and the jedi council acting like retards

TFA had legitimately interesting character drama and a lightsaber fight second only to the one in Jedi in terms of emotional involvement and expression
>>
>>64076377
I enjoyed TFA alot, honestly, but you can't pretend that most of the dialogue was very heavy handed, and supposedly dramatic moments "i will see you again" etc felt very flat.

I did think the Han scene, albeit telegraphed, was very well shot and performed though.

My Empire comment was aimed more at Revenge, and my New Hope comment more at TFA though to be clear, although i know saying there wasn't enough A New Hope in TFA is an unpopular opinion here, i hope my meaning gleans through,
>>
File: salty.jpg (233 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
salty.jpg
233 KB, 1280x719
>>64076425
no one is more salty than lucas
>>
George doesn't deserve that hate he gets
Prequels were the best thing thats ever happened to Star Wars.

If you disagree you can fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>64076441
You can't accept the fact that prequels have some of the worst dialogue writing and acting in all of Hollywood.
>>
>>64076290
Chewie's life debt is still canon thanks to this book made by Disney kikes:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chewbacca#cite_note-everything-12
>>
>>64076411
So if i write a beloved fantasy book and then write a sequel that is a soft porn pop up book im perfectly justified to flip the bird at my fans because 'muh artistic creation?'

grow up
>>
>>64075197
In fairness to George he first mentioned Star Wars in an interview for American Graffiti. The interviewer asked him what his next project was and he said a 'Western set in Space' the interviewer didn't respond and he laughed and said 'I know I know but 10 year old boys are gonna love it.'.
>>
>>64076346
Probably because you aren't a kid
>>
>>64076473
Shut the fuck up Reddit
>>
>>64076461

Human drama is more than just the dialogue (which for what it's worth I disagree about it being heavy handed), it's about the character development and emotions, both of which TFA had an abundance of
>>
>>64076449
>TFA had legitimately interesting character drama
If you're either 14 or an SJW desperate for some forced interracial bait.
>>
>>64075998
>>mfw it will never be explained who retrieved Luke's saber from Cloud City or how
>>mfw it will never be explained how or why in the hell Han and Chewie would ever be in a position for the Falcon to "get stolen" and this is just an excuse to have the new characters find it and fly it

You're a fucking retarded goddamned moron if you honestly, seriously, completely believe that this will not be answered by the new EU everyone was oh-so-thankful to Disney for.

You fucking peasant.
>>
>>64076341
If this is the case why do you like Star Wars at all? :^)

Seriously, though, it's never been known for brilliant dialogue or even good acting for that matter. It was always the lore, the worldbuilding and the fantastical scale of it
>>
>>64076376
Hehe- I didn't hear do you wanna say that again? *smirks* That's what I thought. *turns back on you* nobody ever does... But who can blame them *flashes katana conspicuously* who can blame them. *checks watch* Anyway, I've got to get to class.. heheh, I'll see you around kid.
>>
>>64076502
I didn't see any Star Wars movie until i was 19, and i started with Jedi strangely enough, i'd watched that about 15 times before i ever saw A New Hope
>>
>>64076523
>"Where did you get that?"
>"That's a story for another time."

>mfw Han remembers exactly what Luke's old lightsaber looks like after 30+ years but conveniently forgets how to start his own prized ship so that a stronk female can tell him which button to press
>>
>>64076473
Ooh! Let me try!
George deserves that hate he gets
Prequels were the worst thing thats ever happened to Star Wars.
If you disagree you can fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>64076521
Finn got friendzoned kid JJ pussied out of his cuck fantasy, getting a forehead kiss is like getting your cock put in a chastity device, its game over from there
>>
>>64076473

Episode 1 and 2 were terrible movie but they did bring back Star Wars. There's wasn't a lot of SW related stuff in the late 90s but when the prequels came out, toys, videogames, and shit like the Clone Wars cartoon, exploded into popularity.
>>
>>64076486
I can accept that it was bad, just not as bad as you meme lords make it out to be

Making fun of the prequels has turned into a parody of itself where you faggots can't distinguish how bad they are.

The best example is the people who still make fun of George scribbling on the storyboards, not knowing that he's marking cgi work

It reeks of the sort of shit reddit does
>>
>>64076563
Why did they make all the white guys in the movie incompetent cucks or evil?
>>
>>64076594
"Weesa in big doodoo dis time"
How do I get out of this argument? "I know, I'll try spinning. That's a good trick!"
>>
>>64076521

You're just dense

Finn starts off as a scared stormtrooper who lacks confidence, and he just wants to run away. When he first escapes he gains some confidence in himself, but he still doesn't want to fight. half way through, he still wants to escape to the outer rim instead of fight back. It's not until rey gets captured that he cares about fighting back. By the time they're on the starkiller, Finn's developed his confidence enough to the point where he's willing to charge at Kylo out of a duty to defeat evil even though he's not capable of defeating him.
Compare how he's ordered by phasma at the start to how he orders phasma around at the end. Poetry.

Rey started off as lonely from what they later reveal is being abandoned, she's independent and can fend for herself but she's holding out for her parents to come back despite knowing they never will. After leaving jakku she just wants to go back there because she's clinging onto that hope. Maz tries to get her to let go of her past and fight with the resistance, but she 'wants no part in it' and just wants to go home. It's not until she's captured, discovers her force abilities and sees han killed that she actually has an interest in fighting.
hugging leia at the end was a sign of how she had found a new home
>>
>>64076616
What?
>get out of the argument
What?
>>
>>64076630

Kylo becomes progressively less confident and becomes more emotionally unstable and vulnerable, the turning point being when he confronts rey, learns she has force powers, and learns she has met his father, sees him as a father figure and bonded with him in a way that kylo never did (note how this is the point where he takes off his mask, it's symbolism for how he becomes more emotionally vulnerable). On top of this he's feeling conflicted and not entirely committed to the dark side even though he wants to be. He kills his father because he thinks it will make him stronger in the dark side, but all it does is keep him emotionally unstable. On top of the physical wound that chewy gives him from a gun that kills stormtroopers in one shot, this makes him possible to be defeated by rey

Find a single character in the prequels who had this much development that wasn't executed in a completely convoluted and forced way which didn't reflect the events that were actually happening around them (aka not anakin)
>>
>>64076651
Obiwan, sheev
>>
>>64076651
>aka not anakin
I don't understand

How is this the case
>>
>>64076286

Things I remember from Phantom Menace, which I watched when I was 5 or so:

-"There's always a bigger fish."
-That Jar Jar existed, but not necessarily what he did
-Battle Droids on grassy plains
-Underwater city and boss nass
-Qui Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan waiting patiently with a silver protocol droid
-Darth Maul glaring angrily in the desert with only one side of his lightsaber ignited
-The ending of the final fight with Darth maul
-Young Anakin podracing
-Young Anakin single-handedly winning a battle
-Other minor things such as unarmored C3PO, Padme's makeup, ship designs

The only thing that alienated me was that I didn't care for young Anakin or anything he did.
>>
>>64076651
I enjoyed the TFA, but honestly i hope the fight is explained with some Revan mind wipe shit on Rey, because even with everything you've said he could have killed them both instantly with the force.

The only real explanation is that Rey was either one of Luke's (younger) apprentices that Kylo thought he had killed, sent off to Jakku with her mind wiped, or maybe she blocked it out or something idk, possibly involving Lor San Tekka hiding her away or something
>>
>>64076224
Fucking pleb, the political subplot of the prequels is one of the best parts.
>>
>>64076733

Except the politics were completely illogical
>>
>>64076688
>shit designs
weak b8
>>
>>64076377

>Kylo interrogating Rey
>Kylo vs Rey fight
>The SPOILER scene

That's about it, and it was all handled poorly except for maybe the interrogation scene.
>>
>>64076207
>Star wars life day
metal gear rising revengeance
>>
>>64076688
Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations? Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations? Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?
>>
>>64076630
>It's not until rey gets captured that he cares about fighting back.

Wrong. Even before Rey gets captured he kills two storm troopers. He had no qualms about killing his own troopers. Thats the problem with the character.

>she's independent

True she needs no man.

> hugging leia at the end was a sign of how she had found a new home

That scene was odd. Chewbacca was the one just lost someone he knew for years. Even in this movie, Han was still with Chewbacca. They didn't movie on. Rey didn't even know him. Leia should have consoled Chewbacca.

> Kylo

The best character, though probably because he has a lot of Jacen Solo in him.
>>
>>64075493
Did you ask that when Barry got a Nobel Peace Prize?
>>
>>64076688

My take from when I was kid watching the movie the first time was

>cool opening with the jedis
>why are they underwater, what are they doing here?
>jar jar is pretty annoying
>when is this going to start getting fun I don't know what's going on
>this race is fucking awesome looks like the movie is picking up
>I guess I was wrong
>big blank here
>this final lightsaber fight is pretty fucking awesome
>aww shit they killed Darth Maul

For me I didn't understand what was going on, there was too much boring talk and even as a kid I remember thinking that the delivery of lines was very bland and emotionless.
>>
>>64075864

Don't we all wish, we were David Lynch?
>>
>>64076630
>>Compare how he's ordered by phasma at the start to how he orders phasma around at the end.

>hamfisted Chris Rock nigger antics where Han literally tells him to tone it down, as if he's actually speaking to John Boyega telling him to stop overacting
>>
>>64075262

He didn't have Marcia to keep him grounded and point out to him when he was writing shit.

she's responsible for a lot of why the OT are good.
>>
>>64076943

that doesn't disprove the point
>>
>>64075153
I'm 24 and I was pretty young when the prequels came out.

I enjoyed them. Fuck the haters.
>>
>>64076822
>He had no qualms about killing his own troopers. Thats the problem with the character.

Vader literally kills his own flagship's captain for failing to capture the Millennium Falcon in ESB

The difference is that Vader didn't throw tantrums like a little bitch, he just made sure people feared him enough to feel obligated to please him

Whereas Kylo is depicted as a weak bitch and thus totally neutralized as a serious threat. A villain isn't scary if the protag can literally beat him in the first film of a trilogy.
>>
>>64075153
Re-watching the prequels, his problem was poor editing and someone telling him about his bad decisions. He was at the top, so only yes sir people around unfortunately.

PM got it right with the effects and lightsaber fight, and RoTS was all around a decent movie with great moments.
>>
>>64076971
But Phasma is barely in the movie and is barely given any exposition as a villain

Oh no, she told one of her subordinates to follow protocol and reported to her superiors on a couple of things, what a bad doodie head lady
>>
>>64076928
The big blank is where senators talked about accusations made against the trade federation and their validity for 30 minutes. I think everyone that watched TPM has a blank there.
>>
>>64076986
>Vader literally kills his own flagship's captain for failing to capture the Millennium Falcon in ESB

I was talking about Finn. Finn had no problem killing other stormtroopers even though he was just one moments ago. That is why Finn is a weak character.

> Kylo is depicted as a weak bitch and thus totally neutralized as a serious threat. A villain isn't scary if the protag can literally beat him in the first film of a trilogy.

Hes still the best part of the movie because any other characters are less interesting. It seems the reason he lost to Rey is he got shot. Hopefully they don't shaft him too hard in the next two movies.
>>
>>64075153
Disney promised him a throat
>>
>>64077019

Are you retarded?
The point is that Phasma was a reference point to compare how Finn developed over the course of the movie
>>
File: george-lucas-laughing.jpg (188 KB, 760x1140) Image search: [Google]
george-lucas-laughing.jpg
188 KB, 760x1140
>>64075197

>even the creator of Star Wars calls out the fans for being manchildren
>it's officially confirmed they are pathetic manchildren, doesn't get more official than that
>pathetic manchildren still deny that StarWars is a franchise for children
>they lie to themselves saying it's for adults, even though the fucking creator already said it was for children
>literally grown fucking men pouting at the prequels, watching them in the cinema along with 5 year olds

I knew Starcucks were pathetic, but this is too much
>>
>>64076986
>Kylo is depicted as a weak bitch and thus totally neutralized as a serious threat. A villain isn't scary if the protag can literally beat him in the first film of a trilogy.

Kylo isn't a Vader type villain, that's the point
Vader was at the peak of his abilities in the OT. in the ST Kylo is going to develop and become stronger just like Rey will, it's not like he will stay stagnant as weak as he was in this movie
>>
>>64077101
The prequels are for children, no qualms there
>>
TFA is literally The Avengers in Space
>>
>>64075539
No they weren't. Stop believing Lucas' lies. Jar Jar was intended to be some small comic releave, just like C3PO in the OT, but he failed miserably. An 8-year-old wouldn't understand all those trade dispute and politics plot lines, not to mention the graphic scenes in II and III.
>>
>>64077092
And yet Finn barely develops at all because his switch from the Order to the Resistance happens at the beginning of the fucking movie and he stays in that mindset for the rest of the movie.

Sure, he becomes more confident, but only because he makes more and more friends to align with his bumbling ass. He has barely any development at all. He decides in one scene that he doesn't want to be a Stormtrooper anymore, overruling a lifetime of indoctrination, so that he can risk everything to run off and meet Rey, who is his only motivation to do anything at all for the rest of the movie.

Do you really call that character development?
>>
>>64076207
Do you think Sony will give him a AAA budget after the horrible flop of MGS5? Or will he start a kickstarter?
>>
>>64076009

A "tale" that existed before the concept of "memes" and 4chan existed. So not so much really. You might be able to say it's "hollywood legend" but you can't devalue it's truth by playing the "hurr durr nice meme" card.
>>
>>64075277
Fucking this. Thank God Lucas no longer has any control. But I appreciate whatever he did back in the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>64075989
this. For Empire and ROTJ he even holds some token titles like executive producer, which could mean anything from "was on set every day" to "had lunch with some guy from Fox and mentioned Star Wars once".
>>
>>64076277

Not him, but if his point is that dialogue & politics is fine in 12 angry men but a bit out of place in Star Wars then i agree.

If it isn't then i don't. i certainly can be read both ways.
>>
>>64076563
>>64076603
for grrl powah and forced diversity
>>
>>64077156
LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLYLITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLYLITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY

am i really cool and hip now?
>>
>>64077101
The creator of these movies is wrong about these movies. One day the guy who invented star wars will realize that it's ME who understands star wars and not him!
>>
>>64077243

Becoming more confident is absolutely development

And he didn't just switch to the resistance straight away. It wasn't until after the cantina was destroyed he finally sided with the resistance, until that point he was neutral, wanted no part in the conflict and wanted to run away. He only gets Poe involved because he needs a pilot to escape ("Why are you freeing me?" "because it's the right thing to do" "...you need a pilot" "I need a pilot"), not because he was suddenly on the side of the resistance
>>
>>64075262
fuck yes
>>
>>64077271
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annuTcmB1rw
>>
>>64077101
the movie hab everything a kid's movie needs. Trade disputes, mutilated people burned alive and Samuel L Jackson.
>>
>>64075539
Except children didn't even like Jar Jar. Jar Jar was only entertaining to children with downs syndrome.
>>
>>64077578
Technically he never switched
His motivation is simply 'muh rey'
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (115 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
115 KB, 1920x1080
>>64075395
POETRY
>>
>>64075229
No, what made Star Wars good was that at the beginning George didn't have complete control and the final say on everything.

A big part was also the artists that designed the whole Star Wars look who were not part of the prequels which looked like utter dog shit because of it.
>>
probably
>>
If only he had known that all he had to do was remake the original trilogy but not call them remakes and everyone would love him again
>>
Woah
>>
>>64075197
>He literally was butthurt on all the hate he got for the prequels.

It kinda grinds my gears when people simplify shit like this. Yeah, the guy was 'butthurt' because after putting an enormous amount of effort and risk into a project, the wider critical community deemed him a hack (despite massive contributions to cinema) and the project an artistic failure. I think I would be pretty 'butthurt' too.
>>
File: 1431253420006.jpg (22 KB, 460x329) Image search: [Google]
1431253420006.jpg
22 KB, 460x329
>>64076303
Kurtz fucking hates lucas for being a toy merchandising sellout, the whole reason he left was because of Lucas edited and ultimately watered down script that he had written in ROTJ to appeal to Dysney's PR for the toys and the kiddies. Imho the second death star, the ewoks, and the happy go lucky ending.
>>
>>64076050
he should head off to Sweeden alongside the rest of the liberals, it's litterally liberal heaven
>>
Yeah.
>>
File: 1450871328156.jpg (17 KB, 541x559) Image search: [Google]
1450871328156.jpg
17 KB, 541x559
>>64075153
I'm actually going to see TFA for the second time on Boxing Day.
>mfw all this butthurt
>>
>multi billionaire now
>not about the money

Nobody in his family will have to work if they don't want to for the rest of human history.
Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.