[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So... Was it that even with revenge, he could never escape the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: fuck tom hardy.jpg (40 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
fuck tom hardy.jpg
40 KB, 690x460
So...
Was it that even with revenge, he could never escape the hallucinations and nightmares that followed him around?

Spoonfeed me.
>>
Or maybe it was that he was a walking contradiction; he lost his wife and son and most likely wanted to die but thought that one should live on to the true end?
>>
the bear killed him, everything else was the afterlife.

if you couldn't figure this out yourself you aren't fit to consume films.
>>
File: really.jpg (16 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
16 KB, 505x431
>>64068476
nice meme
>>
>>64068476
Fuck off
>>
>>64068431

The cruelty of nature (the vicious bear attack) can never compare to the cruelty of man (Fitzgerald killing his son and leaving)
Revenge is just a portion of the bigger picture of man vs nature and man vs man and who the cruelest is.
>>
MOTY
>>
>>64068672
The cruelty of nature thing definitely stuck out to me as the main theme.

It starts off with a brutal native attack, perpetrated by a man who thinks that these trappers have his daughter. They don't of course, but they in turn are savagely exploiting the land for gain. Pools of blood and discarded meat mixed with ash of the cut down trees litter the area of the forest that they have camped it. Most of the trappers die, and the survivors don't morn them, they don't even attempt to go back for the ones left behind. The natives slaughter any left alive, and love on. The natives can be seen as the manifest wrath of nature on a war path.

Glass meets a native whose village has been raised, and who in turn helps him not out of kindness, but out of revenge that bonds them. The bison in the previous scene are a signifier of nature yet left untouched. The wolves kill one, but they kill just enough to feed themselves. They don't feel greed like men do. They don't hunt and kill all that they see for the sake of riches. Glass benefits from this and is fed.

The hallucinations show the future and the past. The piles of bison skulls are an indicator of what modernity brings to the natural landscape of America. The old church I didn't get, the comet showed his destiny.

That's what I got/remember from a singe watch. Gonna watch it for at the cinema when it officially comes out.
>>
>>64069952
Comet as his destiny?
He didn't seem to fall to me.
>>
>>64069952
I know this is awfully written, but it's 7am here and I haven't slept.
>>
>>64069952
How do I become more analytical?
>>
>>64070104
Are you asking me? I'm expecting a guy to come along and point out how I'm wrong about literally everything.
>>
>>64070031
>He didn't seem to fall to me.

What do you mean by this?
>>
>>64070161
I'm not good at these kind of things. You said his destiny was analogous to the comet.
All the comet did was fall in the sky.
>>
>>64068431
The director said the movie is about the hollowness of revenge.
Also why did the Indians want to scalp Fitzgerald? He did nothing to them
>>
what movie is this
>>
>>64070303
Bruv, every time those fuckers saw ANYONE they went into kill mode.
Fitzgerald was just another whitey.
>>
>Cameron strongly believed in DiCaprio's acting ability, and told him, "Look, I'm not going to make this guy brooding and neurotic. I'm not going to give him a tic and a limp and all the things you want."
>>
>>64070366
id live to penetrate this twirling little jew
>>
It's all an allegory for the mass cultural psyche of Americans. The often violent ends we will go to to satisfy our desires even though in the end they can never actually be fully satisfied.
>>
File: mZRvdKM.png (687 KB, 1242x512) Image search: [Google]
mZRvdKM.png
687 KB, 1242x512
>>64070104
You don't want to be more analytical. You want to be more phenomenological.
>>
>>64069952
Building on this, there are also themes on religion. Mainly Christianity.

Forgiveness is the main tenant of the teachings of Christ, but Glass rather than forgiving his sons killer, survives mainly out of hatred and want of revenge. The land is lawless, and Fitzgerald makes his own morality. He laughs at religion, mocking it. He sees no value in it. His father, nearly starved only saw nothingness before him, and in turn passed this point of view to his son. The son, now a man has no objection with any inhuman action. He laughs at human suffering. He perpetuates it when it suits him. Murder and thievery mean nothing to him, and in a lawless land ruled by cruelty who says that he is wrong?

But, his cruelty must come to an end. Glass, who he left for dead can be seen as an almost divine judgement descenting upon him through space and time. He literally crawls out of a grave to find and kill this man. Along the way he performs an action which can be seen as good under the circumstances. He sees a woman being raped when stealing a horse from the French. Rather than running away, he decides to help the woman. The woman being the son of the native chief who has been hunting all the white men in the area. This action later saves him, and dooms Fitzgerald who as Glass later spares.

The final action of Glass can be seen as one of forgiveness and resignation. He leaves Fitzgerald to be judged by the manifest spirit of the land.
>>
>>64068431
He comes out the "womb" three times in the movie
His grave, the makeshift tent made by the brother indian and the horse.
What does it all mean?
>>
>>64070645
Nature and man are equally savage and protecting
>>
The movie was like a good Cormac McCarthy book put to film
>>
>>64071083
I kept thinking throughout the movie that if they ever adapt Blood Meridian they need to get Inarritu to direct it. I think he's the only one that can pull it off.
>>
>>64071151
>>64071083
Was No Country for Old Men not a good book adaptation? I loved that shit.
>>
Domhnall Gleeson is a terrible actor. How does he keep getting such big roles?
>>
>>64071342
Isn't that the question of the day?
>>
>>64071342
But he was the biggest nigga in this film.
Always wanted to help Glass out.
>>
>>64071246
Yeah it was a pretty good adaptation, all things considered. Some changes here and there, but it still works. Actually if there's anyone else that can direct Blood Meridian besides Inarritu, it's The Coens.
>>
>>64071396
Yeah his character is fine and all but he's a fuckawful actor. Like holy shit. Every time he interacted with Tom Hardy's character on screen I kept thinking to myself "wow I bet Tom hates working with this fucking scrubby pleb."
>>
Will he finally get the oscar /tv/?

I still think he won't because Tom Hardy basically stole the show while Leo just gasped and grunted for 50 minutes until he got to the french camp.
>>
>>64071539
Prob not. Oscars will celebrate hyper-political correctness yet again by giving Eddie Redmayne the Oscar 2 years in row. Only this time not for playing a cripple but for playing a tranny.

Tom Hardy will win best supporting actor for sure though.
>>
>>64071539
>Will he finally get the oscar /tv/?
I don't know, but he made fighting a CGI bear damn entertaining.

>>>/wsg/876804
>>>/wsg/876806
>>>/wsg/876808
>>
>>64072297
The scene was kinda stupid and cringeworthy.
They obviously never saw a real raging bear with her cubs around. She would never give you a chance, aiming for either neck or your stomach.
And instantly killing bear by knifing him in the neck? Fucking beast can still be conscious and fight for about 30 minutes after being shot through the heart.
But whatever, this is a Hollywood, we saw worse in other movies, I aint even mad
>>
>>64072571
Innaritu said he saw 100 bear attack videos.
Also Leo shot the bear in the head.
As a guy eh only saw near attacks on those animals attack videos, they are very very inconsistent.
>>
>>64072571
He shot her in the 2nd webm, and it clearly shows her bleeding in the 3rd webm just before he shanks her multiple times in that spot.

>Fucking beast can still be conscious and fight for about 30 minutes after being shot through the heart.
Where are you getting this shit from?
>>
>>64068431
My favorite scenes were when Leo struggled for a second to find his knife on his belt then realized it was on his chest pocket.
The other was when he out fucking skilled Tom Hardy with the decoy. I thought he was building a grave
>>
>>64072571
the actual bear attack didn't bother me
what bothered me was how quickly he went from vegetable to functional
he can't even move a limb when hardy stabs his son
the next scene he's getting buried and the scene after that he's crawling out of a grave with mud piled on him
>>
File: Jeremiah 00123456.gif (444 KB, 500x199) Image search: [Google]
Jeremiah 00123456.gif
444 KB, 500x199
>>64072612
>Also Leo shot the bear in the head.

No, he shoot her in the neck and she was already bleed out when she attacked him the 2nd time.

The movie overall was ok ("Jeremiah Johnson" and "A Man Called Horse" are much better frontiersmen flicks) but should have only been 1.5hrs instead of two, too much time spent on DiCaprio crawling around wounded and Tom Hardy's was a more interesting character.
>>
File: woman.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
woman.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
I just regret there wasn't any indian qt

fuck you iƱarritu
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.