[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know most of you are just looking for a reason to be misogynistic,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10
File: reygorgeous.png (255 KB, 560x318) Image search: [Google]
reygorgeous.png
255 KB, 560x318
I know most of you are just looking for a reason to be misogynistic, but did you ever think maybe - just maybe - there is a narrative reason as to why she is so proficient? I mean, other characters are surprised by it to.
>>
>>64067159
>I know most of you are just looking for a reason to be misogynistic
OP never fails to be a faggot
>>
>>64067159
There had damn well better be. Some have speculated that she was trained as a child and then had her memories blocked.
>>
File: pokemon.jpg (49 KB, 454x340) Image search: [Google]
pokemon.jpg
49 KB, 454x340
>>
Yes some of these autists hate women, but do you honestly think people would simply be ok with "insta force mastery" if Rey had been male?

No, they wouldn't. Despite thinking Jedi were all but an ancient legend a day or so before to being utterly proficient and skilled in performing Jedi mind tricks and saber combat is simply not ok and incredibly bad writing.
>>
>>64067159
No, but Rian Johnson might be smart enough to retcon that to being true. It doesn't fix everything, but it puts makeup over JJ's blemishes.
>>
File: 1451014487346.jpg (215 KB, 1000x980) Image search: [Google]
1451014487346.jpg
215 KB, 1000x980
Star Wars 7 was fucking trash
>>
>>64067159
You are asking a lot from a bunch of 13yo faggots that only want to shitpost...
>>
I don't care if she's good with tech and knows a good trick spinning, but you can't deny that these "omg don't touch me I can run myself teehee" and "look she already escape lets make dumb admiring faces" scenes were nothing but guuurrrrrrl power wank
>>
>If I don't like the characters I'm a misogynistic racist homophobe

Getting real tired of this meme
>>
>>64067159
You make a very good point, therefore I hate you and you should go back to reddit
>>
Her vision pretty much spells it out. She was trained at the academy and instead of killing her Kylo abandoned her (mind-wiped) on Jakku with Unlak. Her "awakening" is in part her own memories, and it makes sense her family lightsaber would respind more to her than Kylo. She uses her bo-fighting techniques to weild the saber.

I also think it is obvious (though not explucitky stated) that Unlak made Rey install the "compressor" on the Falcon (the one and only thing she knows about it that Han doesn't). He probably had her do some other work on it as well. She knew her way around and pointed out the gunner station etc. to Finn.

Rey makes sense. They'll dig into it more in 8. There is definitely a lot of backstory we haven't seen yet.
>>
>>64067229

"looking for a reason to be mysoginistic" describes a decent portion of 4chan though
>>
>>64067391
> explicitly stated
Sorry, typo
>>
>>64067159
the disney dicksucker will bring up plots of his own imagination from future movies which don't exist yet to try to invalidate critical weaknesses in the force awakens. he does this because he knows it doesn't stand as even a mediocre flick in its own right
>>
The three ways Rey could get that powerful that fast is
1. Breaking canon
2. Temporally channel the Force
3. Go full on Dark side
Maybe it's a combination of these three.
>>
>>64067348
It's not a meme if it's true senpai
>>
>>64067391
This so much

Most fags on this board are just taking her at face value.
>>
>>64067159
so the movie only works as 1/3 of a trilogy? how does that make it a good film? at all?

how many first movies in trilogies intentionally keep important information from you so you show up to movies 2 and 3? thats just shitty writing, dont defend it
>>
She's a sith who had her mind wiped and had memories implanted, which explains her proficiency with the force/lightsaber. Kylo is a red herring, and she's the big reveal in the next movie. Third movie is her redemption arc. I'm a production assistant, screencap this.
>>
>>64067505
>how many first movies in trilogies intentionally keep important information from you

A New Hope
>>
>>64067391
she was what, 6 years old when she was abandoned? were not exactly talking fully fledged jedi here...

thats like 1 year MAX of training, and i mean remember that normal kids at this point are still shitting their pants
>>
There is no logical narrative reason other than the force works in mysterious(even though it doesn't. That's been proven.)

Also, it doesn't make sense that her memory got wiped. She would have been too powerful to not remember. They already established its hard to get in her head. How can they wipe her memory?

No, when she touched the lightsaber it was nothing more than premonitions and visions of the past that have no linkage to her other than her as a child.

It's impossible and completely retarded to wipe the memory of a powerful force user. Narratively, it's retarded. It's right up there with "it was all a dream". It's not good story telling unless you clearly establish it at the beginning like with the Bourne series.
>>
>>64067464
this im all against force liberal shit and films being against white males etc etc..

but it's obvious these people are just looking for any excuse to hate on the character especially looking at the number of threads and hate because of a 'mary sue' seriously who cares? it's not that big a deal it's fucking star wars
>>
>>64067299

this desu senpai
>>
>>64067159
Because JJ Abrams is a hack?
>>
>>64067549
i hope HOPE hope this is a troll

you know IV was originally a stand alone film right? its PERFECTLY contained, with EVERY storyline wrapped up

this is actually why Luke is somewhat Mary Sueish (has to develop quickly) because there wasnt planned to be a next movie

ironically, the movie which has an excuse for a mary sue doesnt have one and the one with no excuse does...

Luke needs to have his ass bailed out in the final fight, Rey takes out Kylo solo
>>
>>64067549
ANH fully resolves its main plot points and gives enough context for its characters to make sense. Lucas wasn't even sure the film would be successful enough to warrant a sequel.
>>
>>64067505
It lets you hand wave away literally any proble.

Don't worry guys, it will make sense in a year and a half when the next movie comes out and you pay 10 bucks to watch. If there is still confusion just wait another year for movie three!
>>
>>64067549
ANH was a complete story. protagonist started as a weak everyman and grew under a mentor to save the day. think before you post, dumbass
>>
>>64067507
This sounds gay
>>
>>64067507
This sounds like terrible fanfic.

You very well may be a production assistant.
>>
>>64067631
>proble
No need to worry about why this is misspelled. It will be explained in a post a year from now.
>>
Where did she learn to shoot with a high proportion of perfect center of mass shots?
>>
>>64067865
She missed most of her shots. In another universe she would be a stormtrooper
>>
REVAN
>>
>>64068077
She hit most of her shots. The first three alone: miss, kill, kill.
>>
File: 1442257945240.png (15 KB, 700x546) Image search: [Google]
1442257945240.png
15 KB, 700x546
>>64067159
>>
>>64068268
More like

>Safety, miss, hit, hit, miss, miss, miss

Then she missed Kylo a bunch of times
>>
>>64068324
She didn't stop racking up kils there... saying beginner's luck is really pushing it.
>>
>>64068464
She literally got 2 kills before Kylo froze her and took her to his rape dungeon
>>
>>64068324
Tell me about Bane.
>>
>>64067159

Just because it's part of a trilogy doesn't mean it shouldn't also be a complete movie.

>>64068324

WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK?
>>
If it turns out she's actually some crazy, biologically engineered super soldier trained and built by Vader and just forgot everything, then sure, that's fine. But for now she's ridiculously, retardedly overpowered for no reason at all.
Get the fuck out of Han's seat. You did not earn that.
>>
>>64068324
LOTTA LOYALTY FOR A HIRED GUN
>>
I just think it's funny because the trilogy isn't over yet. Like, the standard story arc is for the failures to happen in Act 2 before the triumph in Act 3. And Star Wars, like most "for all ages" movies, follows traditional arcs.

So it's like, people complaining about her Mary Sueness just need to wait for the next movie.
>>
Considering nothing is written past TFA, and the sequels will have different directors and writers (apart from possibly Kasdan), no, there is no set narrative.
>>
>>64067159

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU CAN RATIONALIZE IT

SHE
IS
BORING (oh and so are Poe and Finn despite having better actors attached).
>>
>>64067159
She looks like that soccer player James Rodriguez
>>
No. Her character never really feels like its hurr durr muhfeminisms stereotype.

This ain't full ghostbusters where they made every ghostbuster a womyn just to be 'diverse' and 'empowering'
She's just the protagonst and she's a woman. Literally nobody cares except SJWs and maybe some anti-SJWs
>>
>>64068606
>Boring

She's the best main character in Star Wars
>>
>>64068634
... not.
>>
>>64067299
The problem with that comparison is if you made her less than adept at anything, the feminists would have lost their shit.
>>
>>64068634
That's not Kylo Ren
>>
>>64068606

Rey has an interesting back story, Finn is sympathetic and Poe oozes cool, fuck off redditor
>>
>>64068676
That is to say, if she weren't a mary sue.
>>
>>64067159
>there is a narrative reason as to why she is so proficient
There is. We don't need to see the exact same hero's journey bullshit we spent 3 movies doing with Luke. Fuck whining about power converters, just get to the fireworks factory.
>>
>>64068686
Correct
>>
>lets skip all these other reasons they disagree with me and assume they are misogynist
>>
>>64068547
>next movie opens
>pans down to some labratory
>Vader and Palpatine are walking in a hallway on Death Star 2
>Vader: None of them could have survived. your midichlorian counts were way too high!
>they enter a labratory with thousands of babies in vat, palpatine approaches one
>Palpatine: you have much to learn Vader, one did survive, she will be the most powerful sith the universe has ever known... one worthy of being your apprentice
>Palpatine drains the vat and takes the baby in his arms, cradling it
>alarm bells sound
>Vader: Its the rebels, they're planning an assault
>Palpatine: Take her and put her on an escape pod for Jakku, we'll retrieve her after we deal with these scum
>cuts to shot of a lone escape pod leaving the death star
>>
>>64068573
Fuck the next movie. They didn't set up the first movie well at all.

All I can hope for in the next movie is Mark Hamil acting terribly, the mystery of a CGI character Snoke, and Knights of Ren.

And I know all three will be explained horribly because they were not given proper treatment or explanation in TFA.
>>
>>64068676
>>64068676
Guybrush Threepwood paradox

TL;DR no one is offended by a white male failing or having flaws so no one cares. But if you take the exact same character with the exact same flaws and make it a minority or a cunt, chimps and landwhales lose their shit because it's a less than perfect depiction of them and violates their identity politics doctrine
>>
>>64068735
>Not liking literal girl Obi-wan with a cute butt
no, you just have shit taste.
>>
>>64068547
>did not earn that
did you even see the movie
>>
>>64067444
TRIPS OF TRUTH TBQHWY

MOVIE WAS PLEB TRASH

BITCH WAS A LAUGHABLE MARY SUE

WHICH OTHER THAN SIMPLY BEING ANNOYING BECAUSE >2015 GIRLPOWER, HER CHARACTER JUST QUICKLY BECOMES BORING BECAUSE OF HER PLOT ARMOR
>>
>>64068753
We're on the same page. I would have liked for her to have a few more flaws. but I'm still satisfied with how she currently is.
>>
I'm calling it now.
Rey is not Luke's daughter, but rather another Anakin, as in another child conceived of the force by none other than Darth Plagueis (who is alive and now goes by Snoke). She was one of Luke's trainees who for some reason survived and doesn't remember.
>>
>>64067391
except that kylo doesn't recognize her at all. and wouldn't kylo have to be extremely young at the time he supposedly "mind wipes" her?
>>
>>64068787
Chewie should be captain before Rey
>>
>>64068860
This is still shit fanfic and is crap characterization.

Something TFA should have alluded to this other than random memories and premonitions.
>>
>>64068784
>again jumping to some assumed conclusion that I dont like her or something because she is a woman
Its just honest criticism of her character. I didnt think Anakin or Luke were good characters either so put your panties back on.
Girl obi-wan? not quite
>>
File: 1398846000059.jpg (18 KB, 460x523) Image search: [Google]
1398846000059.jpg
18 KB, 460x523
>>64067391
>Rey makes sense. They'll dig into it more in 8. There is definitely a lot of backstory we haven't seen yet.
Then it does not fucking count. It's not ok to put shit in the movie and go all "we will explane this in about 8 years after 3 more movies". They are not shooting tv show, planing for the future is good but this is bullshit.
>>
>>64068324
If I pull that off will you die?
>>
>>64067159
oh it's this thread again... seriously who gives a fuck about any of this 'mary sue' shit
>>
>>64068964
>guys who cares about poor writing in a narrative driven movie
>>
>>64068878
Yeah fair enough.
>>
>>64069018
>guys who overthink trivial things in a star wars movie*
>>
File: 1442979774198.png (391 KB, 1024x887) Image search: [Google]
1442979774198.png
391 KB, 1024x887
>>64067581
>>
>>64068964
Autists do
>>
>>64069098
/tv/ is currently /co/2.0. Just give up and hope all the retards are gone after the star wars posting dies down.
>>
>>64069098
>if you are fed up with 100 'mary sue' threads you're an sjw

nice meme image
>>
>>64069018
>>64069085
>rey a shit and people keep noticing, lets remove the movie from the realm of criticism

Plus, the argument has long since moved from rey being a poor character to: any criticism of her automatically qualifying as misogyny
>>
>>64069018
>thinks people goes to star wars movies for the narrative and not the characters and wish fulfillment
That you George?
>>
>>64068324
WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK?
>>
File: star_worse_a_not-so-new_hopeless.png (1021 KB, 1115x1380) Image search: [Google]
star_worse_a_not-so-new_hopeless.png
1021 KB, 1115x1380
>>64067159
>a narrative reason
>>
>>64069196
no we like criticism but why must there be constant threads about specifically a 'mary sue' meme that was started by an actual cuck and no actual discussion about any of the rest of the movie itself
>>
>>64069193
It's not a meme if it's true senpai
>>
File: 1386788645942.jpg (382 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
1386788645942.jpg
382 KB, 1024x682
>>64069193
>so "fed up" with mary sue threads he creates and/or participates in a mary sue thread
>>
>>64067391
>her family lightsaber

Wut
>>
>>64067159

>Star wars episode 4 is a self containing movie
>Star wars episode 7 is a movie that can't contain itself if it were watched on its own

So much for a carbon copy of 4.

What the hell was that harry potter like shit about the lightsaber/force calling to her?
>>
>>64067232
More like her memories got BLACKED desu senpai
>>
>>64068142
Oddly enough, when you start a new game in KOTOR you don't start as level 20 Jedi Master. You don't get any Force powers at all until after you leave the first planet, and then you slowly gain Force powers over the rest of the game. There is even a Training Montage that occurs before you get any force powers.
>>
>>64068722
Then her backstory should have been "i am an elite Jedi hiding on Jakku" and not "Hurr Durr Hero Journey"
>>
File: 1364607765623.png (659 KB, 629x515) Image search: [Google]
1364607765623.png
659 KB, 629x515
>>64067159
>did you ever think maybe - just maybe - there is a narrative reason as to why she is so proficient

Are you this fucking naive OP? Really?
If your theory is right, then it's an even bigger script failure regardless. Information flow in TFA's script is quite appalling as it is, and your theory would only make it worse. It literally would mean that the script is a complete failure of delivering relevant information to the audience for dumb and cheap reveals later that in truth are plasters over the many many plotholes left by JJ. There is no elegance, no style, no substance to redeem the writers of this technical scripting mess.

Think back about ep 4 & 5 and the "No, I am your father" reveal. Now this is god tier information flow. This is how it's fucking done man, and that is why it's one of the most memorable & shocking reveal scene in cinema of all time. It's up there with the end reveal of Psycho ffs.

To make this very simple for you, since there are thousands of books and screen writing theory about this, there are 3 levels of knowledge in any given script: the author level, the characters level and finally the audience level. When the author hides information from both the characters and the audience, he is walking on a landmine field most of the time. Vader knew he was the father all along, kenobi did too. It is the flow of this information to the audience and to the hero that makes all the difference.

Psycho's script goes even beyond this, as it does everything that isn't supposed to be done, and yet it brilliantly works. The author goes as far as giving the biggest clues to the audience regarding the identity of Norman's mom. In one scene near the final resolution you have characters openly wondering who is buried in Norman's mom coffin if in fact she's still alive. Again God tier information flow.

If you are familiar with JJ's work, realize this is someone who goes for very cheap tv series tier of writing. Remember lost? I rest my case.
>>
>>64068324
R u a bg gy?
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.