[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese Cinema
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Japanese destruction.jpg (1 MB, 4540x3569) Image search: [Google]
Japanese destruction.jpg
1 MB, 4540x3569
Let's talk about the progression of the Japanese film industry and create a list of what films you need to watch to understand its progression.

Here's my temp list.

I was Born, but... - Ozu Yasujiro (1932)
The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums - Mizoguchi Kenji (1936)
Army - Kinoshita Keisuke (1944)
Late Spring - Ozu Yasujiro (1949)
Rashamon - Kurosawa Akira (1950)
Sansho The Bailiff - Mizoguchi Kenji (1954)
Crazed Fruit - Nakahira Ko (1956)
Black River - Kobayashi Masaki (1956)
The Ballad of Narayama - Kinoshita Keisuke (1958)
The Warped Ones - Kurahara Koreyoshi (1960)
Cruel Story of Youth - Oshima Nagisa (1960)
Yojimbo - Kurosawa Akira (1961)
Harakiri - Kobayashi Masaki (1962)
Youth of the Beast - Suzuki Seijun (1963)
Pale Flower - Sinoda Masahiro (1964)
Woman in the Dunes - Teshigahara Hiroshi (1964)
Branded to Kill - Suzuki Seijun
Profound Desire of the Gods - Imamura Shohei (1968)
Death By Hanging - Oshima Nagisa (1968)
Heroic Purgatory - Yoshida Yoshishige (1970)
The Ceremony - Oshima Nagisa (1971)
Coup D'etat - Yoshida Yoshishige (1973)
Empire of Passion - Oshima Nagisa (1978)
Vengeance is Mine - Imamura Shohei (1979)
Ballad of Narayama - Imamura Shohei (1983)
Ran - Kurosawa Akira (1985)
Madadayo - Kurosawa Akira (1993)
Sonatine - Kitano Takeshi (1993)
>>
This board is reserved for star wars. Take your pretentious shit and go to /lit/
>>
Why do they act like anime characters? or why do anime characters act like japanese actors?
>>
>>64065596
For Kurosawa you have to include drunken angel it started yakuza film.

I'd also add
>tetsuo the iron man
>noroi
As important parts of japanese cinema. The Japanese horror genre is among the best in the world. I think those two films transcend the genre for different reasons.
>>
書を捨てよ町へ出よう (寺山, 1971)
少女革命ウテナ アドゥレセンス黙示録 (幾原, 1999)
>>
I don't wanna by that guy but you should probably include Akira, GITS or a Ghibli film.
>>
>>64066616
I don't know Chinese
>>
>>64065596
I would be willing to participate in this thread except for the churn of /tv/. This is a thread which would require about 4 days to truly blossom, and it can't, so why bother?
>>
needs representation of golden age horror
>>
>>64066698
In addition to this, you need at least one Godzilla movie on there. These may not be great movies in themselves, but they have a lot of cultural importance.
>>
Why is japanese cinema dead? The only modern directors I can think of are Takeshi Miike and Sion Sono and even those guys haven't done anything above the ordinary besides maybe Love Exposure.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.