[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you fix The Force Awakens while keeping the story more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 17
File: Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg (834 KB, 2400x1621) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
834 KB, 2400x1621
How would you fix The Force Awakens while keeping the story more or less intact?
>During Poe and Finn's escape they just leave without an extended sequence of them getting free of a bungie cord
>Poe stays dead (he's a fun character but it just works better narratively)
>They escape the freighter by narrowly avoiding the originally introduced pirates and not generic monsters
>Phasma is the trooper with the shock baton and dies honorably
>R2-D2 is alongside C-3P0 as always instead of being a plot device
>How the First Order, Resistance, and Republic works is better explained
>Finn disables the shields himself and while doing so finds the rest of the map in the computer files
>Finn is killed by Kylo
>Instead of Rey almost winning before being separated from Kylo by a earthquake it's the other way around
>Movie ends on Leia and Rey hugging
>>
File: 1450217393081 (1).jpg (282 KB, 1024x950) Image search: [Google]
1450217393081 (1).jpg
282 KB, 1024x950
I appprove of all of these changes. Keep up the good work anon.
>>

you must be cool ar parties
>>
make it 30 min longer and get rid of the autistic fast past capeshit style of directing
>>
I actually approve.
Keep Poe though
>>
>>64051363
Your penultimate point is fucking crucial.
>>
remove niggers
>>
>>64051363
>>Finn is killed by Kylo
I like the rest of the changes, but I'm unsure about that one. Killing off 2 major characters and 1 minor one is kind of ridiculous.

Personally, I would depower Rey more. Have the mind trick fail, but let her escape by some other method. She can make the lightsaber jiggle, but can't overpower Ren's telekinesis. And so on.
>>
some solid changes, but at least 2 or 3 I disagree with
>>
>>64051363
>During Poe and Finn's escape they just leave without an extended sequence of them getting free of a bungie cord
This was initiation for Finn's character to learn how to shoot enemies from a ship, something he would need to do later in the Falcon
"It works better to kill a character that is necessary in the finale"
>They escape the freighter by narrowly avoiding the originally introduced pirates and not generic monsters
What's generic about the monsters? They also needed a reason for Han to have a smuggling ship.
She doesn't even die
Plot devices are more important than Nostalgia devices
Are you four years old?
>Finn disables the shields himself and while doing so finds the rest of the map in the computer files
Why would the First Order have the map?
>Finn is killed by Kylo
Fuck off
>Instead of Rey almost winning before being separated from Kylo by a earthquake it's the other way around
Youre still salty about Kylo losing to a girl?
This adds nothing
>>
>>64051897
But Rey is always angry/fearful when she uses the force. Ren is almost always sad, and needs to get psyched up to use the dark side. It makes sense for Rey to be better at using the dark side than Ren.
>>
>>64051363
Reminder that it's the highest rated Star Wars movie ever.
>>
>>64051990
>Youre still salty about Kylo losing to a girl

Not OP but it would give their first fight more of that New Hope flavor i.e. a person who has absolutely has no idea what they're doing has to come up against someone who's quite good at it, it's more one person struggling than two people fighting.

I mean, they effectively did this with Finn, but still.
>>
>>64052031
True, but Ren has actual training. I can buy Rey's ability with machines to be latent force abilities, but I feel like there's only so much she ought to be able to do instinctively.
>>
>>64051990
>She doesn't even die
Learn to read
>Plot devices are more important than Nostalgia devices
R2's awakening was so convenient.
>Are you four years old?
Are you always so intolerant/condescending?
>Youre still salty about Kylo losing to a girl?
It was shitty writing. Nothing else.
>This adds nothing
But it removes a shitty ending.
>>
File: Untitled.png (813 KB, 1919x542) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
813 KB, 1919x542
>>64052048
But that's wrong
>>
>>64051990
>Why would the First Order have the map?
They had the map from the Empire's archives. They said this.
>>
Oh yeah, I would have had Snoke be an actual giant instead of just a spooky hologram.
>>
Set hundreds of years after ROTJ

After bringing peace to the galaxy, Luke attempts to train more jedi but he himself looses his connection with the force, the jedi bloodline as far as we know goes extinct.

Then you do something a la the lord of the rings, you focus on a threat that arises and threaten to bring the galaxy into disharmony again if not dispensed of.
A young man or woman, has to learn to become the savior of the galaxy through ancient artifacts and finding the few people still alive that knew anything about the force.
>>
You cant its too late.

They should've let George direct instead of shitting it up with some random guy
>>
Cut out Starkiller entirely, the impact of it destroying the capital planet is lost because we don't know what the new republic is like, and the character crap that happens while its being destroyed is far more important. You can have it later when we know what's actually at stake.
>>
No one else has shared their thoughts on ideas so I will.

Add 30-45 minutes to the movie and give some focus on composition rather than just exposition and can give the morons some more depth on the worldbuilding as well as the chars some time to breathe and use the travel times appropriately
Fix the pacing (10 minutes to 2 minutes from Han and Chewie loading the charges to Han's death, and 1:30 to 30 seconds for Poe to see the blown up charges and attack? Pfft.)
Slow down Rey's force progressions
Give a better focus on the ironies of Ren's character, how he tries so hard to be Vader without understanding how Vader became that, and how he had what he was looking for in the visions Rey had of the islands
Ren does not remove mask until Han Solo death scene
Save Rey vs Ren for next movie. Finn fights him, loses, gets slashed up, as Rey goes to engage, earthquake as she sits there angrily

I really like the Kylo Ren character. I can see his flaws and why he would lose to Rey, from a technical standpoint. We are talking about an immature brat who ignores his training (which isn't even complete yet) and isn't very good with a saber to begin with. He uses his emotions and force powers to battle. Its truly unbelievable that Rey could out force him like that but for someone who literally just slashes his sword at everything when he throws a tantrum you could tell his focus is not on sword fighting and his jagged blade with an unrefined crystal alludes to this as well. Furthermore afaik Snoke is just a dark side user, not a Sith, so I would expect his force powers to be high and his sword fighting to be low, hence the Vulcan mind reads and telekinesis stuff. But I would save that for the next episode, I think they did too much too fast.
>>

That's a tad cliche. I think they got the ending pretty spot on for this one.
>>
>>64052441
This. Not having Luke in the movie at all would have been an uproar from fans. At least using him as a plot device/reveal for the next episode is gonna make EVERYBODY come watch it regardless of how shitty they thought the current reboot was.
>>
File: 4131231.jpg (72 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
4131231.jpg
72 KB, 640x634
>Finn sees the droid on Jakku then sees the Jakku people trying to beat up Rey but they actually do over power her, and Finn saves her (to show weakness in Rey)
>Kylo Ren doesn't take off his mask until the Han Solo meet
>Phasma is the one who duels Finn when he first gets the lightsaber with a slightly extended back and forth action sequence with either Phasma getting injured or dying
>More dialogue scenes to give more depth to the characters/first order/resistance etc
>end scene, Rey sees him and just stops. luke turns around, takes his hood off, and the scene ends there (no helicopter shot, no Rey handing the lightsaber in mid air)
>instead of another death star, the main focus is just finding luke and with all the kylo ren stuff happening as a result of the two sides trying to desperately find him

I'm sure there are many other things but there's are some on the top of my head
>>
>>64051990
>This was initiation for Finn's character to learn how to shoot enemies from a ship, something he would need to do later in the Falcon
Where he's just as inept as he was then. The first scene is unnecessary
>"It works better to kill a character that is necessary in the finale"
Poe is not necessary at all. In fact, Abrams has said he originally intended to kill him off there but Issac wanted a bigger part.
>What's generic about the monsters?
They're CGI masses of tentacles.
>They also needed a reason for Han to have a smuggling ship.
Because he's a smuggler? We don't need to see over the top CG to know that. He could have been smuggling spice.
>She doesn't even die
But she should have, at least then she would have done something. Basically everyone here agrees that the random baton trooper was great while Phasma cowardly lowers the shield to save her own skin and is then disposed of off screen
>Plot devices are more important than Nostalgia devices
Having him there at all was a nostalgia device. But the reason he was shut off makes no fucking sense besides plot, and that's not okay. He shuts off when his master leaves for a few years, but he doesn't when his old master fucking killed everyone?
>Are you four years old?
We understand it now through other sources like books, but in the movie it was poorly explained. Why is the Republic allowing the First Order to exist?
>Why would the First Order have the map?
The whole point is that they do. All they need to finish it is BB-8's piece. R2-D2 got his piece from when he interfaced with the Empire's system in A New Hope.
>Fuck off
Better then somehow surviving a full on hit from a lightsaber.
>Youre still salty about Kylo losing to a girl?
Would still be salty if it was a guy.
>This adds nothing
It's the scene where she goes to see Luke that adds nothing. It's an obvious sequel hook as well as a way to sell Luke action figures when he's basically not in the movie.
>>
File: kylo-ren-header.jpg (48 KB, 640x379) Image search: [Google]
kylo-ren-header.jpg
48 KB, 640x379
Finn doesn't even get a lightsaber, they make him a blaster character like Han Solo, maybe give him that stormtrooper melee thing

Finn gets captured after he's injured, and Rey is teary eyed she has to leave him behind, which sets up the next film
>>
>>64052291
I think Andy Serkis actually said something about Snoke being huge, like physically.
>>
>>64051363
>Have a scene where Poe is taken by the alien thing on the robot horse back to the main settlement where he overhears Phasma say BB-8 is gone. Then he steals a ship.
>Have the bit where Phasma berates Finn for not shooting take place in a sort of stormtrooper locker room. Show reactions of disgust and "fuck off coward" from the other stormtroopers to set Finn apart.
>Make it clear that the First Order is an Imperial Remnant situation and controls a portion of the former empire while the New Republic controls the rest. This can be done during the briefing scene.
>Starkiller base is not another deathstar but is like the Star Forge from Kotor, building massive fleets and robots for fire support. The First Orders manpower needs force them to do massive conscription drives. The Republic is worried about this build-up and is funding a resistance.
>>
>>64052597
Oh, cool. I guess we never saw him in person so he could still be big. I was just disappointed that he was only a hologram.
>>
I cannot believe people are going bonkers over this movie like it’s a revival of the fallen Star Wars franchise. It’s a brainless muh actionfest that never slows down long enough to create a decent story, or character development, or a feeling of suspense or intrigue; it’s just non-stop bullshit that jumps from one thing to the next with the occasional desperate fan service tossed in. It poorly copies IV and is a lifeless, uninspired husk of a movie. Disney has basically admitted that Star Wars is one giant cash-grab that they are going to run into the ground. They tossed Lucas' ideas for eps 7-9, and tossed out the Extended Universe to make their own overly bloated and convoluted one which they'll be whoring out with new spinoff movies every year in a Marvel-esque manner without having done research on the original eps. The movie is completely void of any originality or feeling of life, as it barrels from one dull over-done action scene to the next, with none of them even lasting long enough to feel satisfied and no build-up to give them weight or significance. They barely let the characters get a sentence in before it’s onto the next BIG ACTION SEQUENCE that then ends too soon in favor of moving onto the next meaningless one. The movie appears made for the A.D.D. retarded movie-goers and is indicative of everything wrong with JJ Abrams' filmmaking and Disney's thoughtless approach to the franchise. I literally hate it so much that it actually makes me like the fucking prequels more, which at least had okay stories and intriguing ideas hidden behind their shitty dialogue and Hayden Christensen's repulsive acting. This movie is nothing but shitty fan fiction that got a huge budget, and is the absolute death of the Star Wars franchise for me. Fuck this overblown, overrated, overhyped A.D.D. shitfest. You are literally fucking retarded if you think it’s good.
>>
>>64051363

Rey sees somebody use a mind trick at least once. Either there's a confrontation in not-Mos Eisley and Maz has to cool it down with the mind trick or some stormtrooper wants to execute Rey immediately and go back for the droid and Kylo Ren uses the mind trick to make him back down. Those are just two situations I thought of off the top of my head, just some way to impart the information to the character. Give Finn at least one "hero moment" instead of being a stooge the whole movie.
>>
>>64051363

I like this one best
>the republic supports and shields the resistance
>lol one shot from my super mega death star and theyre gone
>>
>>64051786
>get rid of the autistic fast past capeshit style of directing
holy shit this...
but i reckon you could delete some shit and add a bit more narrative to keep it same length
>>
>>64051363
One thing, at least give Rey a reason to know how to fly the Falcon, it was Mary Sue that she knew exactly how to fly it. A one-off scene where she's in a sim, or even offhandedly remarks to Finn that she's flown in simulations

Finn is force-sensitive like Leia
>>
>>64051363
>>Movie ends on Leia and Rey hugging

I think this should have been changed to Leia and Chewbacca hugging, and the movie should have ended with Rey and Chewie flying away on the Falcon to find Luke.
>>
Have a sideplot featuring two recruits of the republic
>>
>>64053495
Rations guy could have mentioned something like Rey is always stealing his shit and going for joyrides, and that's why he doesn't like her.
>>
>>64053154

They could have even just shown Rey be suspiciously persuasive to someone on Jakku. Like to where even she questions why they agreed with her. Then later it can be an "Aha!" moment when she fights off Kylo's mind probing and realizes her persuasiveness must have been related to that.
>>
>>64053154
>Give Finn at least one hero moment

How about the part where he takes BB-8 to the resistance instead of fucking off to the outer rim? That was a pretty defining scene.
>>
>>64053495
> it was Mary Sue that she knew exactly how to fly it

Luke never flew an x-wing before he joined the rebellion.

WOW LUKES A MARY SUE MOVIE IS SHIT

you see how gay you sound?
>>
>>64053495
>at least give Rey a reason to know how to fly the Falcon

She's piloted other old junker ships before and she spends most of her time flying the Falcon scraping the ground, flying sideways, and generally getting herself nearly killed.

It's like if you knew how to drive a small car, then you got behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler to run away from someone and you spent most of the time nearly running off the road or tipping over and you barely escaped. That's pretty much what happened.
>>
>>64053744
Luke was established as being an amateur pilot shortly after his introduction. The plot needed Rey to fly a ship so she was able to fly a ship. In ANH the story served the characters but in TFA the characters served the story so it was harder to like them. It's not an issue of Rey's competence, it's that the writers were lazy and knew that people on the internet would defend them if they make their heroine "badass".
>>
>>64053918
While I didn't care much for Rey, I actually liked Finn a lot.
>>
>>64052380

I agree with this.
>>
>>64052511

>that pic

my sides have been slaughtered
>>
>>64053918
>Luke was established as being an amateur pilot shortly after his introduction. The plot needed Rey to fly a ship so she was able to fly a ship.

She drives around that speeder thing and she tells Finn she can fly, which is why her escape idea was to steal a ship. Her somewhat inept piloting of the Falcon for 90% of that chase scene establishes she's an amateur pilot. In fact, in some ways it's better than ANH because it SHOWS us Rey's flying ability rather than simply telling us.
>>
A simple, simple fix that could improve Rey's character a hundredfold:

Make her unable to successfully execute the Jedi mind trick. Her independence early on is established when she fights off her aggressors without Finn's help. Here, however, Finn helps rescue her. In the climactic battle against Kylo Ren, she tries to trust in the force a second time, and is able to succeed this time, beating Kylo Ren.
>>
>>64053154

I think Rey knowing about the mind trick makes sense, though, when you consider that the Jedi are legends. She probably grew up hearing about the mind trick the way we've heard about wingardium leviosa or some shit.
>>
>>64054193
then why is she so shit at bartering for more rations
>>
>>64054081
I see what you mean, but the moment where she says, "I'm a pilot" to Finn it definitely comes as a bit of a shock. You and >>64053918 saying that "she's flown other ships before" don't really matter because that information isn't conveyed to the audience until the exact moment it becomes plot-relevant. A little bit of setup could have gone a long way, and that goes for pretty much every sequence in TFA.
>>
They don't steal a fucking TIE Fighter that has no life support.
>>
>>64054248

Because she doesn't know she's force-sensitive at that point.
>>
>>64054362
it should have worked somewhat since she didnt even have a little success when she complained about what the price of the things were last week. besides obi wan always had to wave his hand across the persons eyes when he did it so why didnt she have to use her hand?
>>
>>64054193
Movie should have been more explicit about that. I absolutely hated the "just like the legends!" crap that kept coming up but I can understand that they were going for a certain vibe with respect to the similarities in the in- and out-of-story perception of the events of the OT. That said, if they're going to use it as an excuse for characters to suddenly possess knowledge that is necessary to move the plot forward then it's lazy writing and I think people should hold the creative team accountable for that instead of making excuses.
>>
>>64052720
Everything this anon said pretty much sums it all up

This is mass effect 3 all over again and I hope JJs career is ruined I went back a second time and laughed through the whole thing
>>
>>64051363
I would eliminate the entire sequence on Han's freighter. It was very JJ and not needed.
Han and Chewie just bump into Rey on Jakku somehow by overcoming the bounty hunters.
This would free up some screen time to show why Finn defected and showing Phasma killing some civilians and stuff. The movie would gain a whole point /10 just explaining why Finn changed and getting rid of the mimic/alien octupus things.
>>
>>64054117
It doesn't even have to be the guys explicitly coming to her rescue. Maybe the big battle/Fin's interference caused the power to go out, allowing her to escape mostly on her own.
>>
>>64053296
>lol the Republic we know and care nothing about just detonated
>final battle is whether or not Hux can blow up a drugged out busted Leia, faggot 3p0 and Miles Straum from Lost.
>>
>>64051839
This. If she can already win, there is no real reason for the other movies.

Luke's struggle and growth throughout the OT was all in lead up to the point where he could finally best his father, and the stuff that happened after that.

If we've already seen Rey win, and now she has Luke on her side so she will actually be trained, there is literally no point in the other movies. She's already won.
>>
>>64054840
>Implying the trilogy is even remotely about Rey's growth and not Kylo Ren's
>Implying we're not building to yet a second protagonist fakeout
>>
>>64054840

This is why I like the Rey goes dark/Kylo goes light theory best.
>>
>>64054953
This would fix everyfuckingthing
>>
>>64051363
Leia hugging Rey was fucking disgusting. If anyone wanted a definitive scene to show that character relationships were artificially forced by JJ instead of coming about organically, it's that scene.

They didn't know each other. Leia chooses to hug some random girl instead of Chewie, the one other being in the galaxy she was intrinsically linked with through Han, who's just died a horribly unheroic death.

Mediocre movie. Your changes are good OP.
>>
>>64055332
leia fucked luke and rey is their daughter. its why han left and why luke lives alone in shame. leia's just slut and doesnt care
>>
>>64055148

Even within the movie itself, it lends to a subplot where Kylo's entire training is characterized by him being berated by Snoke for losing to a novice. Then Snoke, at the end, reveals he's been tempting Rey to the dark side the entire time because she's more powerful, and disposes of Kylo, taking Rey as his new apprentice.

Rey gets built up as powerful, with the crucial flaw of becoming a villain. Kylo gets more depth, Rey's Mary Sue status is washed away as a villain. It's so easy.
>>
>>64055445
But it's so sexist so, we can kiss that idea goodbye.
>>
>>64054953
>>64055148
>>64055445
Fuck, this actually does sound really awesome
>>
>>64052720
Good post.
>>
>>64055587
>>64055471
>>64055445
na, it's been done to death. it's the same fucking thing for every darkside story
>>
>>64051363
I approve OP, except for killing off Poe. I'd rather he stick around for future movies and he doesn't impede on this one at all.

And also the ending with Luke was better.
>>
>>64055587

I mean, when you think about it, the only reason why Snoke would keep training Kylo after witnessing what Rey did to him is Kylo having far greater potential than she does. Otherwise, why wouldn't Snoke want the more powerful force user as his apprentice?

But keep in mind one important scene:

When Kylo goes to Snoke to tell him about Rey's abilities (while Rey is escaping), Snoke tells him: "If what you say about the girl is true, bring her to me."

Snoke wants to meet Rey. I hope he gets to in Episode VIII.
>>
>>64051363
Hire better actors, except the guys who played Poe and Finn because they actually gave two shits, while everyone else either looked lost, confused or senile.
>>
>>64055659
This. Whether its Vader or Vegeta, its done somehow some way where the omgbadguysosad becomes a protagonist.
>>
>>64055735
>the only reason why Snoke would keep training Kylo after witnessing what Rey did to him is Kylo having far greater potential than she does.
Maybe Snoke thinks two apprentices is better than one. Kylo's still talented, even if Rey has more potential.
>>
>>64055825

Yeah, but then let's say Rey goes dark at the end of Episode VIII. Who's gonna fight Rey, Kylo, and Snoke in Episode XI? Luke by himself?

Besides, I take Snoke as a Rule of Two guy. Especially if he's Plagueis.
>>
>>64055903
Well if Kylo stays bad, then maybe his jealousy towards Ren drives him to do something like betray them and go off on his own path, becoming more neutral instead of good/bad.

I dunno. What makes you think Snoke could be Plagueis?
>>
>>64052672
Yeah same. This is different and adds a whole new set of problems and opportunities. Oh he's a hologram nevermind.
>>
>>64056022
The Snoke/Plagueis thing is entirely based on the musical cues and the fact that Snoke looks like he took a lightsaber to the face in his sleep.
>>
>>64056022

That's possible. I'm just saying that, if Kylo's gonna turn good anyway, that should happen in Episode VIII, because having Rey turn in VIII and then Kylo turn in IX just seems too similar to ESB/RotJ.

And Snoke = Plagueis is just the prevailing theory right now.
>>
>>64055903
Kylo is discarded by Snoke and is with the resistance, Luke and Leia by the end of the next movie.

Rey joins up with Snoke initially as an infiltrator/spy for the resistance. Luke doesn't like the idea but she insists. But by the end, we don't know where her allegiances lie.

It's all in the Episode VIII leaks from earlier this year.
>>
>>64052351
This would be cool, only the force connection isn't necessarily hereditory
>>
>>64056072
>>64056108
I guess it makes sense. I kinda hope Snoke is an entirely new character, someone familiar with the Dark Side without being Sith in the same way orange girl Yoda knew about the Force without being a jedi.
>>
>>64054081
Luke plays with a toy T-16 skyhopper, the same skyhopper that is in the background. He also mentions more than once about being a pilot, Obi Wan even mentions that Luke is a good pilot. Biggs mentions it as well... this is all before he even gets in the X-Wing.
>>
why did no one react to all the republic planets being fucking annihilated?
>>
>>64056393
He also isn't amazing, he almost gets himself killed flying too low and has to get help from Wedge. Only through using the force and Han coming to his aid does he mange to destroy the deathstar... he was a cunt hair away from getting killed by Vader.
>>
>>64056414
because we know absolutely nothing about the republic so who cares

>look the republic exists hooray
>thats interesting oh so there's places that are against the order cool how does that work
>FUCKING REKT THEYRE GONE WHO GIVES A SHIT

10/10 writing
>>
>>64056414
Terrible, terrible writing.

Apparently context is boring now.
>>
>>64056577
Because lets just sweep the victory in ROTJ under the rug and start again with the rebels versus the empire.
>>
>>64056565

Everyone ignores the fact that Rey scrapes the Falcon along the ground for like a minute straight and nearly gets killed in the chase several times. They barely make it out alive, yet everyone makes it seem like she jumped into the cockpit, flew perfectly, and escaped without a scratch.
>>
>>64056780
Thats not due to her flying thats due to the thing Unkar put on Falcon they even mention this
>>
>>64056689
>>64056577
you'll get it next movie, you babies
>>
>>64056872

No, it's due to her not having a co-pilot and not fully knowing how to pilot it. SHE mentions that during the chase when Finn yells at her about nearly crashing multiple times. That thing that got added to the Falcon had nothing to do with the TIE Fighter chase, it only affected Han trying to jump to light speed.
>>
>>64056780
Whenever she can't do anything in TFA it's only momentarily and has no repercussions.

It makes her really boring and dissolves any tension in the movie.
>>
Really the only change I'd make is to not blow up the Starkiller Base, and maybe just disable the actual weapon bit which is then in repair until the next movie/last movie.

They even have a line of dialogue along the lines of "If we blow up the [exhaust port thing] it could cripple the weapon, maybe the planet." This implies it could have destroyed the weapon but not the entire space station.
>>
>>64057144
>Really the only change I'd make is to not blow up the Starkiller Base

Honestly if they didn't blow up Starkiller base I could accept Rey beating Kylo as a way to have the main characters have some sort of victory to end the film. Having both just sort of ruins the First Order and Kylo going into the next film.

The First Order isn't a threat because it got its main shit all fucked up. It's not like it was the Empire in control of the known galaxy, it was already the underdog.

Kylo isn't a threat because the protagonist already beat him.

It would be like if in A New Hope the Death Star was set up as the Empire's last base of operations after a long struggle, and Darth Vader was defeated in combat by Luke after he saw Obi Wan die.
>>
>>64052403
But being defeated and humiliated gives Kylo Ren powerful desire for revenge and strong motivation for the next episode. Without it he would just go through the motion because his arc with family x dark side was solved.
On the other hand Rey is still pissed because Han and Finn.
Their next encounter will be far better.
>>
>>64052131
>more of that New Hope flavor
why, so faggots can cry about it being even more similar to ANH?
>>
>>64057338
>Kylo isn't a threat because the protagonist already beat him.

She beat him when he was dealing with a gunshot wound and had already been tired out by a previous fight with Finn who managed to get some hits in. Even then, she spends a majority of the fight literally just running away until Kylo finally tells her that he could teach her the Force, which is when she meditates for a second, and THEN she beats him. AND EVEN THEN she has to fight very hard to beat him.
>>
>fen gets upset when a stormtrooper bro gets killed
>next scene he's killing them with no remorse
>>
File: 307.jpg (37 KB, 788x685) Image search: [Google]
307.jpg
37 KB, 788x685
>>64057445
>next encounter
>Episode VIII
>Rey and Kylo meet on the bridge of a Star Destroyer
>Kylo: "My powers have DOUBLED since the last time we met, traitor!"
>Rey: "Excellent, twice the pride, double the fall!"
>>
>>64057499
Dude she overpowered his mind control attempts as literally her first act with the Force. Rey already defeated Kylo in their first scene together. He's nothing now. The only thing they can do now is boost his power level through some Zenkai bullshit.
>>
The movie to me felt like every action was so detached and speratic from one another.
For example
>starkiller is going to blow us up
>let's blow starkiller up instead
>5 minutes later they blow up starkiller

They just randomly insert shit into the movie that doesnt really matter and it makes the movie too dense and full of unnecessary shit. Like blowing up the old republic planet/coruscant. The first time we hear about them is right before they blow up, so who cares
>>
>Seriously, explain the world better. Why is there a resistance and not just a standing republic army?

>Film ends with Rey leaving on falcon, leaving search/pilgrimage for Luke for VIII
>>
>>64051363
This is terrible. Holy fuck. You literally try to change the only things that are actually good and made prequels 2.0

What's wrong with that? It was a nice touch.

>Killing based Poe so he can't further interact with Finn and make the best duo since original trilogy.

Every SW film has a monster sequence in it.

Sounds good. Or she can be merged with him and survive to be a reccuring villain hunting for Finn.

le more of le meme droid band. Just like in prequels!

Agree 100%

Not bad if you really want to cut this whole R2D2 plot device.

>Finn is killed by Kylo
Literally why would he be killed off in a first movie? He was a fun character. An underdog doing some cool and courageous stuff, even if he cannot succed at them. At least he had a heart and personality. Only the deepest /pol/ hate him at this point.

>Instead of Rey almost winning before being separated from Kylo by a earthquake it's the other way around.
You literally missed the point of this fight. It's no longer about power levels like the prequels, they actually reintroduced force as something that you can use to your aid in the worst situation. Not to mention it's implied Rey had some prior training and/or was knight of Ren. As for Kylo - at least he's not Vader clone. He's cocky bc he's the only known guy in the galaxy to openly use force and lightsaber. When Rey shows force, he shit his pants.
>>
>>64059329
>It's no longer about power levels like the prequels
In a straight up fight the stronger one wins, it's always been that way. The only reason Obi-wan lost is he let Vader win. Luke straight up lost to Vader in Empire, and used the force to get away. The only reason he didn't lose to Palpatine in Jedi is because Vader turned on him at the last second.
>>
>>64051363
get rid of JJ, get George back. Problem solved
>>
>>64060834
if george has any power like he did in the prequels the films would be fucking shit with him.
>>
File: 1274144412560.jpg (21 KB, 325x326) Image search: [Google]
1274144412560.jpg
21 KB, 325x326
>>64061404
oh because JJ and disney have been such an improvement. Right. Am I suppose to stand corrected or something?
>>
File: the force awakens.png (140 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
the force awakens.png
140 KB, 250x250
>>64051363
>switch TRAITOR with phasma without having her dying
>finn is the one flying the falco
>explain the resistance,republic,first order.
>Rey fail at mind tricking and is saving by finn from the outside
>the star killer make stars explode rather than just being yet anothe Death star so poe can have more things to do and be developped a little bit.
>better soundtrack and more focus on memorable scenes.
i liked the movie but it played too safe.
>>
>>64060834
>get rid of JJ, get George back
i rather have both.Lucas bring new ideas and JJ prevent him for going crazy.giving either of them full control is stupid but im interested with what Lucas wanted to do with the serie
>>
This has probably been mentioned a gazillion times, but I don't feel like even checking.

When Han enters the facility on the new death star thing, Kylo Ren feels his presence, he knows he's there. Then Han is standing RIGHT FUCKING BEHIND HIM and he doesn't know it, like what the fuck
>>
File: That's Nice.jpg (9 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
That's Nice.jpg
9 KB, 246x205
>>64052048
>>
>>64051363
>>Finn disables the shields himself and while doing so finds the rest of the map in the computer files
But muh R2
>>
File: tumblr_nxcq6xAxos1tig061o1_540.jpg (92 KB, 540x551) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxcq6xAxos1tig061o1_540.jpg
92 KB, 540x551
Going to dump some fan art.
>>
File: tumblr_nzqrk6bGOX1qg9m3ro1_500.png (349 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzqrk6bGOX1qg9m3ro1_500.png
349 KB, 500x700
>>
File: tumblr_nzqrk6bGOX1qg9m3ro2_500.png (357 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzqrk6bGOX1qg9m3ro2_500.png
357 KB, 500x700
>>
File: tumblr_nzrt1dM0it1tkrdweo6_500.gif (986 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzrt1dM0it1tkrdweo6_500.gif
986 KB, 500x281
>>
File: tumblr_nzue51HqT11qg9m3ro1_500.png (410 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzue51HqT11qg9m3ro1_500.png
410 KB, 500x700
>>64064113
Shit how did that French man get in there?
>>
>>64051363
>How would you fix The Force Awakens while keeping the story more or less intact?

Burn it to the ground and end the series at episode 6. Whenever someone demands to see TFA, show them episode 4.
>>
Luke's gonna use yoda's green ass lightsaber to knock away rey's at the beginning of the next movie
>>
>>64051897
yep. They didn't need the mind trick to work, Han and Finn were already coming to rescue her.
>>
The racism moments of Rey not wanting to be touched by Finn are removed.

Instead she's more visibly disgusted by the embarassing white nerd that is Kylo Ren.
>>
>Rey is given some hunger struggle survivor flaws by showing her sell BB-8 for 60 portions (or whatever it was) and then BB-8 just escapes in an R2-like way
>remove the cringe that is "droid please"
>Kylo keeps the mask on until Han death scene
>R2 isn't seen until the end when he's with Luke on the island and as the music swells and Luke slowly turns around you faintly hear some beeps and boops
>"the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise" sound clip is added to Rey's vision in Maz's basement
>Phasma puts up a fight before getting sent to the compactor
>the smuggler octopus scene turns into Han quick-drawing and shooting the leader (there's only one gang now and it's like three people) followed by shoot-out with Chewie getting hit in the shoulder and the gang being dispatched quickly as a "Han's still got it" scene and an "always shoot first" wink-wink scene
>Lux/Hux/whatever his name is no longer has a Nazi speech and instead it's Kylo talking to the Knights of Ren (replacing the cringily expository "you are the leader of the Knights of Ren" line from Snoke)
>Finn gets a hand cut off when the lightsaber goes flying because fanservice
>Rey still does well at the lightsaber fight but gets kicked in the stomach or something non-fatal to signify damage
>map to Luke is instead found at the First Order base (they have the specific location but they need the map in BB-8 to see where in the galaxy it is
>>
>>64065099

Why would BB have any reason to trust Rey after that?
>>
>>64051363
You're just yearning for a Special Edition. Thanks George.
>>
>>64065175
He doesn't but the First Order is on his tail so he can't exactly be choosy.
>>
>>64052380
This. Or at least have it looming for the first movie and have its power revealed at the end of the film or in the sequel. Regardless making a base of that size shouldn't have been accomplished in 30 years in an organization based on and presumably less powerful than the empire, or at least not destroyed as soon as it's introduced
>>
>>64053690
Literally all she had to do was vehemently say that her scavenged parts were worth X more portions and have the boss agree and have her walk away perplexed that he didn't shaft her
>>
>>64065099
Rey selling BB-8 gives her some character depth other than Mary Sue.
>>
>>64052545
>Phasma

Seriously. Why did she capitulate to some young punk traitor? You'd think a battle hardened captain of the first order would've just told Finn to go fuck himself.
>>
>>64066795
That whole scene pissed me off so much. There's no way she would put her own life above the MILLIONS working on the Starkiller.
>>
File: aylmao.jpg (19 KB, 645x328) Image search: [Google]
aylmao.jpg
19 KB, 645x328
>Cut the awful Cantina scene.
>Finn and Rey land the Millennium Falcon on a junk planet and spend one night there. Finn shops for blasters, Rey scavenges for parts. There is some sexual tension between them as they are forced to share a room. This sequence should make the movie feel like it takes place over a little more time.
>Han tracks down the Millennium Falcon once it's turned on and tries to take it from Rey at gun point.
>Poe gets more screen time; he becomes a fugitive; hooks up with Rey/Finn; and his injuries compel Han Solo to take him to Leia, away from The First Order.
>Leia is a princess in charge of a planet's army instead of a resistance.
>Han has a scene with Leia pointing out that the new cast reminds him of the OT cast.
>Rey helps Han modify the Millennium Falcon to get past the Death Star's shield. It's a bonding moment.
>There actually is no Death Star, and the First Order instead have a fleet of massive ships that can take out planets when they focus fire at the same time.
>At least two anecdotes are shared between Kylo Ren and Han Solo to make them feel more like father/son.
>As someone on here suggested, Han should try to shoot Kylo Ren before he's taken out himself.
>>
>>64057532
Yeah I was little surprised when he shanks that one stormtrooper right through the chest, when he had the previous meltdown of one getting blood on his helmet.

Then again he was also shooting down tie fighters right? Or was that missiles I can't remember.

I get it though, fighting back against an aggressor to save your life vs. initiating said aggression, but still seemed odd I guess. Maybe it was just the execution.
>>
>>64051363
R2d2 has always been a plot device since conception.
>>
>>64066879
Especially since the shields going down would mean she'd probably die anyway.
>>
>>64051363
They find Poe shortly before they get to the Millenium Falcon and he's the one that pilots them off Jakku. Shortly after the escape he passes out from blood loss allowing Finn to still pretend he's a resistance member.

Add an actual transition sequence where they hyperspace away from Jakku before getting snatched by Solo so we get a sense of time passing. Remove the raptar chase sequence and focus more on the characters actually getting to know each other.

Instead of Rey being completely locked up and mind-tricking Daniel Craig into freeing her, have Daniel Craig and another stormtrooper played by Idris Elba escorting her back to the cell. She mindtricks them into starting a fight with each other and then shoves one of them into a chasm.
Have Finn know how the goddamn shields work.
Have Kylo fight Rey and Finn simultaneously. Rey with the lightsaber, Finn with a shock baton.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 590x392) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 590x392
>>64051363
AN IMPERIAL MEDAL CEREMONY!

All the first films in the trilogy end this way!
>>
File: ValleyoftheJedi_MarkMolnar.jpg (852 KB, 1010x1010) Image search: [Google]
ValleyoftheJedi_MarkMolnar.jpg
852 KB, 1010x1010
>Fin is a normal Stormtrooper Jango Fett Clone that turned good through genetic mutation

>Rey isn't that powerful. She's just a normal scavenger with potential, visions and shit, knowing what people think, the force awakens slowly in her

>Kylo Ren is determined, cold and intelligent. He only takes off his mask once to get Han Solo closer so that he can kill him = fucking sneaky dangerous foe, no temper tantrum stuff

>Fin and Rey don't behave like childs, no silly jokes, no "you gotta boyfriend? shit". The earthquake is the only reason why they escape Ren. OR Fin sacrifices himself. = Light side wins through love, friendship and luck not feminist superpowers

>No shakey cameras, widescreen shots instead of close range drama

>the whole ending is revisited

>first order is NOT an anglo-saxon Nazi wannabe party that somehow has incredible super weapons

>more atmosphere, less action, no stupid 'die hard one liners'. more philosophy and ethics

>Maz Kanata is a ruthless space pirate not an alien minion

I very much like the rest of your points.

It isn't that hard to tell a good story is it?
>>
>>64051363
Finn was conscripted not that long ago instead of being raised since birth as a storm trooper to make his desertion more believable.

Rey is a little worse at handling the falcon so she doesn't appear superhumanly good at everything. Also she was raised by Max Von Sydow.

Less nazi First Order.
Starkiller is less op, because jesus fuck that was a bit much.

They can disable the shield thanks to a rebel spy.
>>
>>64051363

if by "keeping the story more or less intact" you mean retaining the Starkiller Base and its destruction, then no, it's not possible.

"Death Star again but 500x larger" is too fucking stupid of a plot device to tell a legitimately good story with.
>>
>>64051363
Kill Poe? Fuck that racket.
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.