[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Phantom Menace would have been as good as ROTJ if; 1) this battle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
Phantom Menace would have been as good as ROTJ if;

1) this battle had somehow been done with mostly practical effects

2) no Jar Jar

Admit it, the podracing and Darth Maul battle were really good, plus the score
>>
Its as good as RotJ even with the effects it had. The only bad SW so far is TFA
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 590x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 590x443
They needed to clarify the mission of the Princess in delivering a message to Chancellor Vellorum. The urgency of this ended up getting lost pretty early on.

What also got lost were the group dynamics with three men and a princess... This could have been an interesting angle to play because the princess has a political goal and the guys are scheming to win a damn podrace, yet none of the situational humour comes through.
>>
Also the art design was good.

I think Lucas lost his way with Phantom Menace, but had already committed to the sequels so he gave less of a shit with those.

Evidence he wasn't completely retarded - they considered using a real actor for Jar Jar but only animating the head. So Lucas wasn't all-in on CGI from the very beginning.

It's a pity, Phantom Menace could have been really special if it felt less fake and was more grounded in that Ottoman/Renaissance art style. Like how Two Towers had a siege and a field battle, they could have done the same with Phantom Menace.
>>
Maul was Boba Fett tier of being boring
>>
>>64040111
Flesh out Darth Maul and make him the principle villain of the trilogy, have him replace Dooku and Grievous in the other two films.
>>
>>64040111

This battle is basically ruined by Jar Jars silly hijinks, same for the space battle being ruined by Anakins silly hijinks
>>
File: image.jpg (733 KB, 1226x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
733 KB, 1226x1600
Why did George introduce human slaves when the droids already represent slaves within the context of the story?
>>
>>64040669
Human slaves have been a thing since RotJ. Why not both
>>
>no jar jar
>no gungans
>make naboo alderan
>anakin a legit slave forced to podrace by watto
>padme rescued by freed anakin and obiwan while qui gon dealing with the huts
>anakin kills darth maul at the end consumed by anger over qui gon's death
>storm troopers are used to kill the droid army
>>
Darth Maul was good? What was good about him? He had like 2 lines of spoken dialogue. He didn't do shit. We knew nothing about him. He was just facepaint and two lightsabers in one.

Darth Maul was shit. Shouldn't have died in the end. Should have been the main adversary throughout the prequel trilogy.

Podracing was pointless.
>>
File: 1450965806222.jpg (26 KB, 465x316) Image search: [Google]
1450965806222.jpg
26 KB, 465x316
>>64041066
Welcome to 4chan!
>>
>>64041066
>Boba Fett was good? What was good about him? He had like 2 lines of spoken dialogue. He didn't do shit. We knew nothing about him.
>>
>>64040111
>1) this battle had somehow been done with mostly practical effects

No, that's really not its problem. Its problem is that, as the movie itself points out, that battle is only a distraction. It has no tension because nothing that happens in it matters. It doesn't matter if every last Gungan dies because the day is won or lost elsewhere, with the attack on the droid control ship and infiltration of the palace. On top of that, it's taking place in such a bland, no-stakes environment. Just rolling grasslands as far as the eye can see. If it were taking place at the doorstep of Theed itself, it might seem like they were making an honest attempt to liberate the city.
>>
>>64041114
bobafett was a non-entity in ANH. But he didn't die in ANH.

See the difference?
>>
It's a masterpiece. It has the deepest, most mature plot about taxes and trade routes, it has the BEST portrayal of Jedi and lightsaber combat, Darth Maul is EPIC for the win, Anakin was funny and cute, and even Jar-Jar added some much needed comic relief to this dark movie.
>>
>>64041114
Bobba Fett wasn't the main antagonist of his movie though, unlike Maul. Having all this build up and a ten minutes lightsaber fight against someone who has no personality whatsoever is stupid.
>>
>>64041066
reddit xpozed
>>
>>64041264
Fuck off reddit
>>
>>64040111

But it did have those things, so what's your point?
>>
>>64041264
>unlike Maul
I always thought that was Sheev

>Bobba Fett wasn't the main antagonist of his movie though
that's the point. Boba had no personality whatoever and died like insignificant faggot yet he somehow became the fan favourite over the years for no reason just like Maul
>>
>>64040111
No Qui Gon Neeson Either, It's established in the old movies by Yoda and Obi-Wan that Yoda trained Obi.

If you wanted Liam Neeson in your movie then you do what you did with Sam Jackson.
>>
>>64041301
Fuck off 4chan
>>
>>64041413
How is it Sheev? He just manipulated shit in the background. The buildup is to fight Maul. It's like saying Sheev is the antagonist of Empire.
>>
the podracing and comfy coruscant backdrops are my favorite parts of star wars.
>>
>>64040111
They had to tone it down on the politics too. Or have less of it. Or make the story about something else. Seriously, you see people joking about "hurr trade routes" but even still, that's a big fucking thing that nobody watching the movie cares about.

There's also a problem of the fact that all the characters are ridiculously dull and there's really nobody who the audience as a whole would want to identify with nor care about, except maybe Kenobi, coincidentally the one consistently great part of the PT
>>
>Make movies with the intent of just making them look cool
>Look like pure shit within a decade of release

Bravo.
>>
TPM and AOTC haven't aged well in the CGI department at all.
>>
>>64041594
I'm really disappointed Coruscant didn't actually get blown up and plundered.

That fucking planet was the location for all the boring shit in the Prequel Trilogy save for Padme's Assassin and Palpatine vs Yoda.

Those two things still don't overshadow three movies worth of boring talking.
>>
I know how to improve the prequels. Instead of having Sidious be in The Phantom Menace at all, replace him with Dooku. None of the protags see Sidious in TPM at all, so it's not like the "big" reveal that Dooku was actually a bad guy in Attack of the Clones would be affected. Plus it would help establish Dooku a little better instead of just showing up in Clones like the audience should already know who he is. And then instead of shoving in another villain the movie treats like the audience should already know, replace Grievous with Dooku as well in Revenge of the Sith. Have Dooku escape in the beginning and then have Obi-Wan kill him on the whatever planet.

It would have a more consistent villain for the audience to connect with and would help downplay the ever obvious Palpatine is Sidious aspect of the trilogy. Not that there aren't so many other things that could be done differently, but it's kind of a simple change.
>>
>>64041528
>How is it Sheev? He just manipulated shit in the background.

well, movie is named The Phantom Menace after all, the whole movie is about Sheev's rise to power using Naboo/Trade Federation conflict
>>
>>64041744
but Darth Jar Jar was the phantom menace...
>>
Third act consisted of:
>Lightsaber battle between Maul, Obi-wan, and Qui-gon
>City battle with Padme and co.
>Space Battle with Anakin
>Battle with the Gungans

Two of these needed to be removed.
>>
>>64041164

Another thing that's wrong with it: The basic choreography of the battle is backwards. In many ways, it apes the choreography of the Battle of Hoth ("good guys" under an energy shield, fighting against overwhelming mechanized force, holding out until the shield generator is destroyed and the battle becomes a rout), but it forgets one crucial fact: At Naboo, the Gungans need to be seen as the aggressors, calling out the Droid Army, and the Droid Army is the one that should be on the defensive to begin with. Putting the Gungans immediately into defensive position under their energy shield means the battle cannot have any forward momentum, and indeed that's exactly how it comes off.
>>
File: 1449117820562.png (217 KB, 307x473) Image search: [Google]
1449117820562.png
217 KB, 307x473
>Make the Senate much more competent, corrupt, and abusive of its power so it makes sense when a massive rebellion breaks out against it
>Make Palpatine/Sidious a highly esteemed and charismatic admiral/general in the Republican fleet
>Have Maul be his shadowy attack dog to cause chaos that Palpatine takes advantage of
>Clone Wars is a Republican Civil War started by Palpatine
>Spark is the invasion of Naboo sanctioned by multiple members of the Senate, who are secretly loyal to Sidious, but Palpatine uses it as a final straw excuse since it's his homeworld
>When Palpatine's side wins the war it actually makes sense that people go along with him declaring himself Emperor since he's considered a war hero who saved the galaxy from the Senate
>>
>>64041821
As much I would love to say remove Gungan battle I can't remember a single thing about the City Battle with Padme.
>>
>>64041936
They scale the outside of the palace and fight droids and that. I'm sure there's a purpose to it but I cannot remember for the life of me what it is
>>
> tfw got redpilled and now the prequels are my favorite trilogy
>>
>>64041974
>now the prequels are my favorite trilogy

Of all time I hope?
>>
>>64041970
Capturing Gunray, who should have then folded and the anakin scene cut. Thats the only one thats really subpar anyways.
>>
>>64041936
>soldiers + padme run to a position
>bang bang bang
>"we need to get to the throne room!"
>bang bang bang
>cut

Literally only thing I remember, last time I watched the film I skipped everything but the Darth Maul fight.
>>
>>64042050
That was it? But wasn't the NotDeathStar controlling the Droid Army?

What good would capturing Gunray do?

Why not stick him on the ship that gets blown up?
>>
>>64042132
Gunray was in charge of the notdeathstar. He could have given the order to shut it all down faster than madagascar. We needed an explosion I guess though... who knows.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.