[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I figured out why The Force Awakens didn't seem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (308 KB, 1900x1075) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308 KB, 1900x1075
I think I figured out why The Force Awakens didn't seem to fit in the Star Wars world.

The OT and PT alike had elements of real life under the visage of existing in a galaxy far away. Take Dex's Diner for instance. Yes it was campy as fuck, but it had soul. We regognize 1950s greasy spoon diners as classic Americana but when the waitress is a droid and the Greek owner is a four-armed fatass it immerses the Star Wars landscape in familiarity.
The same goes for cinema tropes, like when the wizened teacher tests his apprentice with seemingly meaningless tasks. Replace the sensei with Yoda, the location with a derilect swamp, and Star Wars takes on this familiar feel.

But The Force Awakens did none of this. Maybe the closest thing was General Hux' Hitler speech, but that isn't enough to carry the tone. This movie was hung up on repackaging its predecessors that it forgot that what makes Star Wars so engaging is that it's real life on a galactic scale, set a long time ago.
>>
>>64036734
I agree with your general point. The movie didn't ground itself and went by too fast. It felt less authentic because of that.
>>
Shitty bait
>>
>>64036734
>take Dex's Diner for instance. Yes it was campy as fuck, but it had soul

Stopped reading there.
>>
I always thought the robowaitress was a qt
>>
>>64036855
You are under 18
>>
>>64036734
So are Dugs supposed to have fur or not? If not why does that one look like it has giraffe skin? It's really hard to tell with that early CGI.
>>
>>64036879
I'm 22
>>
>>64036920
How old were you when you were diagnosed with autism and what's your favourite anime
>>
>>64036734
>tfa didn't feel like star wars
>prequels did
>at least the prequels had soul
you'll have to do better than that, you're clearly keeping a list of this shit so why not just make us the bingo card already? that'd at least be useful
>>
>>64036953
dont have one (Naruto and One Piece are great tho)
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 616x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 616x544
Holy shit I didn't realize this but her name translates to flo. Where does George get off?
>>
File: Knights of Ren Vader.jpg (56 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
Knights of Ren Vader.jpg
56 KB, 736x736
The whole movie felt...I don't know how to describe it. Isolated? Confined? So few elements from the previous 6 movies were mentioned, but just enough were present to allow this movie to be a Star Wars one. Honestly it felt like a very, very high budget and professional fan film trying to emulate the original movie. It didn't really add all that much to the mythos and the things that were recognizable seemed to be parodies of what they used to be (like the stormtroopers and X-wings and such).

Maybe I didn't describe it correctly. I've seen it a few times now and every time I feel like I'm watching some alternate universe that's got only vague similarities to the original Star Wars setting in its past, like Vader and what little else is mentioned. For all the nostalgia they crammed into the movie it still didn't feel connected to the originals.
>>
>>64036972
What are you trying to imply
>>
>>64037041
yeah its almost like 30 years have passed in-universe
>>
for as much as you fucks dont like this movie you sure talk about it and nitpick it alot
>>
>>64037066
Yes, but it still doesn't feel like it added anything to the overall lore. After IX is out I feel like I'm going to be able to look back and completely toss aside VII because it feels hollow and boring.
>>
>>64037041
exaclty how I feel.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.