[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you take out the Gungunns and the trade federation CGI droids,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg (146 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg
146 KB, 300x450
If you take out the Gungunns and the trade federation CGI droids, this movie is actually not bad.

It actually might be the best in the PT. Sith is highly overrated.
>>
>>64036268
I agree with you OP but this movie is cool to hate
>>
>>64036268
the whole thing would have been better if they stuck with jar jar being an actual sith instead of pasting in count dicku
>>
>>64036294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP_-ogkbOkE
>>
Lucas tried to "sophisticate" his space fairytale and failed miserably.
>>
>>64036268
Those CGI droids were one of the most iconic and memorable things about the prequels
>>
>>64036268
I've always preferred TPM over ROTS and especially AOTC. But the parts that you suggest taking out are integral to the plot of the movie. It would have to be a totally different story to make it reach its potential.
>>
Anakin destroying the mother ship through pure luck is what I hate most.

Oh hey lol I can't get out of this ship! Lol
>>
>>64036378
the force
>>
>>64036427
lazy writing
>>
>>64036452
the force
are you retarded?
>>
so it's just 30 minutes of pod racing?
>>
>>64036485
Lazy writing. Are you retarded?
>>
>>64036488
Now that would be pod racing!
>>
>>64036268
If you take out the gungunns and trade federation, you'll have nothing left but 90 minutes of wooden characters with flat dialogue talking in shot reverse shot in front of a screen.
>>
>>64036268
Plus Jar Jar
Plus Anakin Skywalker
Plus stupid lightsaber duels with no emotional build up
Plus politics
Plus everything else except Sheev
>>
File: sebulba2.webm (2 MB, 952x540) Image search: [Google]
sebulba2.webm
2 MB, 952x540
>>64036488
That would be cool. In fact a whole movie about podracing would be really fun.
>>
>>64036268

>Make Anakin ~15 years old with a strong young actor
>Give the Trade Federation a very clear and understandable motivation for starting this conflict
>Make Darth Maul enter the movie earlier and present a constant threat
>Make Obi-Wan the protagonist
>Keep the pod race
>For the final battle make it gungans / naboo people + jedi assaulting the city of Theed to capture the viceroy, and have the battle in space to knock out the droid control ship, nothing else.
>Maul survives to become the primary antagonist of the trilogy with Palpatine in the background pulling all the strings

There fixed it. Gungans and goofy fucking droids are only minor surface level problems. The prequels are rotten to the core because of terrible character and story decisions that need to be addressed. People only hate on jar jar because while they feel that something is really wrong about these movies they can't figure out what it is and instead lash out at the stupid shit dangling in-front of their faces.
>>
>>64036268
>best in PT
>Implying PT was any good
It's literally the same shitty hall way over and over again
>>
There is 0 background in TFA. George at least TRIED to give his world depth. You have the whole sheev manipulating entire nations and factions thing in the prequels. PT had the great Quigonn-Obi Wan partnership. The Jedi wisely advising the republic. Literally only bad things was gungan bullshit and anakins arc.

TFA just throws a random HITLER faction at you, an evil Supreme Leader pulled straight out of JJ's ass, Leia is leading the Resistance again even though the New Republic exists somehow she has to operate low key instead of charging in with a fuckton of Mon Calamari battleships and apparently you automatically become a Jedi if you want to, there are totally no decades of training involved. JJ never spent a fucking moment researching the actual SW universe which was what made the whole thing work.

I haven't even cared about star wars for a very long time and the whole time at the theater I had an urge to leave because I was watching a franchise being butchered for money so blatantly.
>>
>>64036268

Episode I has the advantage of being a movie made in the mid to late 90's so it has that golden-age of special effects feel to it. Lots of miniatures, lots of sets, lots of on-location shooting, a good amount of CGI, but they had to use it more carefully because it was fucking expensive and time consuming. It is also the script that had the most amount of time put into it and the most drafts. Fucking Lucas wrote Ep. II in 4 months with 1 revision and it really shows.
>>
>>64036516
Anakin has inherent force abilities stronger than any jedi. The force allowed Luke to make a one in a million shot in the original movie. It goes without saying that Anakin would be guided by the force and accomplish something the other pilots couldn't.
>>
>>64036711

Read "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" sometime, really goes into depth about just what a jumbled fucking mess the entire star wars saga actually is. It's amazing the OT films are even watchable.
>>
>>64036268
If you take all the horrible shit out of all the prequels, then film new scenes and re-order what's left, it would probably make a decent movie.
>>
>>64036598
CHESKO SEBULBA
>>
>>64036772
Luke was focused and determined.

Anakin didn't give a fuck about what was happening around him.
>>
>>64036598
CHA POOKA UMAN GEESA
:^)
MATESA RATICO PONIPA CHOP CHOWA
>>
>>64036268
Watch the anti-cheese episode, it makes it the best out of all the prequels even compared to the other two ant-cheese versions.

The only problem it can't fix is the horrible horrible acting and Padme's "Queen" voice.
>>
File: 1425662483949.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1425662483949.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
I love the contrarian wave that's hit /v/ of the prequels were somehow good

Go back to the archive only a few short years ago and literally everyone on here was shitting on it, lamenting that Star Wars was ruined forever
>>
>>64036268

Some of the dialogue with Anakin was fucking terrible though. "Are you an angel?"
>>
>>64036268
funny I've just rewatched it. I agree it's not as bad as people say. The score is good, the political plot is interesting, and the pod race hasn't aged at all.
If only the gungans were a bit more serious, and if only some dialogues could be redone it would be a pretty good movie. Not perfect by any means, but it has it's moments.
>>
>>64036861

>/v/

oops, meant /tv/ but it's all the same garbage at this point
>>
>>64036843
Just because Anakin didn't know what was happening, doesn't mean it wasn't the force guiding him. No dumb luck was involved
>>
>>64036843
Not to mention ben literally told him to use the force.
>>
>>64036861

It's just good old cognitive dissonance.
>>
Every scene with boy Anakin makes me want to rip my eardrums apart
>>
>If you take out whats bad then its good!

How is this a valid point?
>>
File: sebulba1.webm (3 MB, 952x540) Image search: [Google]
sebulba1.webm
3 MB, 952x540
>>64036850
>>
>>64036861

We are only saying good things about the prequels now because TFA exceeded all expectations in being a shitty cash-grab

Since you're mentioning /v/, this is the exact same situation as with Skyrim. When it came out everyone was splooging all over it until the initial euphoria wore off and everybody noticed how shallow and lazy it was. So some people started saying that shit, compared to this crap Oblivion wasn't even this bad.

This is the EXACT same scenario.
>>
>>64036868

The biggest problem with Episode I is that we have no idea why the Trade Federation, and Sidious in turn want the queen of Naboo to sign that treaty. As a result everything that happens in the movie just dances around this pivotal plot-point and the whole movie just feels like its shuffling the characters from one scene to the next for no real apparent reason.

It also doesn't help that the movie doesn't really have a central protagonist to lead the narrative, which wouldn't be an issue if the narrative was pretty clear and straightforward, but it isn't.

Also casting anakin as a 9 year old was a giant blunder and the film suffers as a result. It's by no means a 'terrible' film, but there's a lot of core issues beyond annoying goofy nonsense like gungans and fart jokes.
>>
>>64036861
I agree with you, but I knew a few millenials who actually legitimately think the prequels were better than the OT, even before TFA existed. The fact that contrarian shitposting for TFA is now a thing just enables these millenials.
>>
>>64037006
The difference being TFA is legitimately good and Skyrim is legitimately terrible.
>>
>>64036985
I HAVE A RACER. ITS THE FASTEST EVER! YIPPEE
>>
>>64037085
>Guardians of the Galaxy: The Force Awakens Into Darkness is legitimately good
wew lad
>>
>>64037006

TFA pays homage way better that the prequels to the OT and the prequels were literally trying their hardest to be just like the OT but failed on so many levels

Yeah, TFA is a cash grab, so was the majority of Return once Lucas realized how much fucking money he could make off of it

The Prequels are literally a cash grab too, a massive, massive cash grab. Don't fucking kid yourself that they aren't. Hell, there's even more jerky fanservice in them than TFA
>>
>>64037006

All star wars movies are cash-grabs. Lucas did not come back to make the prequels out of some burning desire to finish telling his story. He lost so much money in his divorce that he needed a new revenue source and Star Wars was drying up in the early 90's and he couldn't afford to keep running LucasFilm / ILM / THX / Skywalker Sound without new film profits and new merchandise.

The only difference between the prequels and this new sequel trilogy is that instead of a single visionary at the helm of these films and raking in all the money for himself it's a well-oiled studio system. To you that may seem like a shitty cold and lifeless alternative. For me I see a lot of collaboration and creative opportunities since it isn't just one king-of-the-hill creative dictating everything.
>>
>>64037121
wew lad yourself you contrarian faggot.
>>
>>64036914
Luke could only make the shot after Obi-wan told him to use the force. ESB drives home the point that using it is very mental. People complain that Rey is a mary sue. Kid anakin blowing up a capital starship, without even knowing what he's doing, is a far worse offender. Luke is far older, an experienced pilot, and has the same Skywalker genes as Anakin and willingly used the force. The two situations are hardly comparable.
>>
>>64037061

>millenials
>millenials

I really hope you're in your late 30's otherwise you need to seriously fuck off.
>>
>>64037174
>denying the truth this hard
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
>>64036985
OOPS! ITS ON AUTOMATIC PILOT! WOAH! YOU'RE A JEDI TOO-NICE TO MEET YOU
>>
>>64037200

R u an angle?
>>
>>64037190
If you grew up on the prequels, yes, you are a millenial. Problem?
>>
>>64036268
No, the problems run deeper than that. The central conflict of the film is not explained (the blockade/invasion), and we get a 40 minute detour to Tatooine which only exists to pick up Anakin, who has to be shoehorned into the Naboo plot so we can get the ridiculous scene of a little kid stealing a spaceship and winnning the space battle single-handedly.
>>
>>64037164

This.
Look, the Marvel "capeshit" that everyone on /tv/ hates on is a massive success. Just think back a few short years ago when people never thought a competent Avengers film could have happen because it would involve too many moving parts. And yet here we are.

Somehow Disney in conjunction with Marvel have made this Marvel Movieverse thing work. It's been a massive success in sales, merchandising and critical praise.

They're working somewhat the same formula with the sequel trilogy instead of this massive undertaking by one person who controls everything, we'll see where it goes but I doubt it will be anything other than a huge financial and critical gain
>>
>>64036783
fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>64037188
Luke could commune with Obi-Wan's ghost without learning. He had visions and sensed things without trying. There are parts of the force that work without needing to be willed or understood
>>
>>64037227

For anyone who grew up in the nineties (and for that you had to be born in say 1988 tops) the OT left much more of an impression on them because the 1997 enhanced original trilogy was hyped up much more than phantom menace for some reason, at least thats what I remember, its when I saw OT first.

So you couldn't really "grow up on the prequels" because OT was always a much bigger thing
>>
>>64037351
You assume too much. It's very easy for someone growing up in the late 90's - mid 2000's to only know of Star Wars as the prequels. I'm proof of that. And yes, The Phantom Menace is legitimately better than ROTJ.
>>
>>64036985
I can't do it, mom. I just can't do it.

Ani

Will I ever see you again?

What does your heart tell you?

I hope so. Yes.. I guess.

Then we will see each other again.

I will come back and free you, mom. I promise.

Now go. Don't look back. Don't look back

;-;
>>
>>64037442
YIPPEE
>>
>>64037254
huh? They explain why the blockade is happening. Did you not pay attention?
>>
>>64037540
Yeah, something about taxing trade routes. Why is the blockade gonna reduce taxes? What does Naboo have to do with the Republic's taxes?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.