[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys remember when Star Wars had an intimidating and competent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12
File: darth-vader-moments.jpg (70 KB, 560x369) Image search: [Google]
darth-vader-moments.jpg
70 KB, 560x369
Hey guys remember when Star Wars had an intimidating and competent villain that had clear motivations and goals?
>>
yeah, but he sold the franchise to Disney
>>
File: Freestyle-Reaction.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Freestyle-Reaction.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>64030615
>>
>>64030615

>Disney
>immediately makes the villain evil for the sake of it

in true Disney style

I should have expected no less
>>
>>64030491
>Clear motivations and goals
>Be evil
>Interrogate people
>Fly a ship
>>
Kylo has the potential to be a way more interesting villain than Vader. I love Vader, he's extremely cool, but that's about all he is. Until the end of Jedi he shows now character traits other than being a badass. Kylo has insecurities, fears, flaws that he can overcome, and at the same time can be pretty intimidating with his crazy force powers and temper tantrums.
>>
I WANT THEM ALIVE
>>
>>64031743
>Kylo is a dark and edgy teenager
>/tv/ are dark and edgy teenagers

>Kylo hates his parents due to teenage angst
>/tv/ hates their parents due teenage angst

>Kylo is a virgin
>/tv/ are virgins

>Kylo is a weak loser who talks hot shit then gets btfo by a girl who fucks a black stud
>/tv/ are weak losers who talk hot shit then get btfo by girls who fuck black studs

>Kylo obsessed with Darth Vader's mask
>/tv/ obsessed with Bane's mask
>>
Yeah, Sheev was great
>>
>maul
>henchman of palpatine
>vader
>henchman of palpatine
>kylon ren
>henchman of snoke
what don't you get op?
>>
God forbid we have original characters.
>>
>I-I-It's supposed to be shit
>>
>>64030491
Remember when Star Wars had a believable main character too? Those were the days.
>>
File: vish the sumpeed.png (1 MB, 1033x959) Image search: [Google]
vish the sumpeed.png
1 MB, 1033x959
>>64030615
Daaaaamn
>>
>>64030491
>intimidating and competent villain
yeah

>that had clear motivations and goals
no
>>
>>64030491
Kylo Ren was intimidating until the final act.
You know, the part of ANH when Vader gets shot by Han Solo and twirls away into space like a chump?
What's not clear about "get the map"?
>>
>>64031901

It'd be neat if they did something like imply some guy is just the henchmen of some other guy, but ends up being the henchmen was in control the whole time and is influencing the 'master', or some shit. Or maybe the henchmen wants to be the big bad officially and just killed the master
>>
>>64032055
Vader didn't get shot by Han
Han shot one of the other TIE fighters, then the third TIE fighter randomly rammed into Vader for no reason
>>
Kylo was the best part of the movie though, an extremely flawed villain that's in way over his head and he's learning and trying to grow throughout the movie but his insane pride and love for his grandfather eclipse the light side inside him.
>>
>>64032114
You're right. Thank you. It's even funnier this way.
>>
>>64032254
makes sense, jedi/sith seem to be unstoppable, able to read the minds and futures of their enemies. their biggest weakness is those they trust, their friends/allies.
>>
>>64032318
wait are you serious?
>>
File: vader_leia_finger.gif (925 KB, 390x301) Image search: [Google]
vader_leia_finger.gif
925 KB, 390x301
>>
He wanted those plans. Simple yet effective.
>>
>>64031743
>insecurities
>flaws
>flaws that he can overcome

This is Star Wars. All of that shit is supposed to apply to the heroes, not the villains.
>>
>>64032457
So having an interesting villain that has as many flaws as the protagonists is bad?
>>
>>64032043
How is "die rebel scum imma enforce the current distribution of power" not clear? That's literally his character in A New Hope.

>>64032101
Well, that's how the sith work, so, maybe we'll get something like that anyway.
>>
I'm convinced there must be something to fundamentally separate people about Kylo Ren, because there's no middle ground. Everyone either recognizes what his character is, empathizes with it, and loves him; or says he's whiny and hates him for losing and not being intimidating.

I'm going to hazard a guess that people who went in wanting to hate the movie hate Kylo, and people who went in wanting to enjoy the movie like him.
>>
>>64032497

In Star Wars? Absolutely. Star Wars is a world with idealistic heroes, cynical rogues and menacing villains. It's not a world where the bad guy throws a temper tantrum because he has daddy issues.
>>
>>64031619
>The one and only perfectly looped gif
>Its not perfectly looped

Where did you find this monstrosity
>>
>>64031798
Post of the decade
>>
>>64032606
There's no reason not to have it like that though. You still have snoke who is mysterious and controlling. Ren is great because he's unpredictable right now. Him throwing temper tantrums and acting out is a nice change of pace from the HUR DUR overpowered omnipotent evil man that is 100000x stronger than main character in first movie
>>
>>64032708
>Him throwing temper tantrums and acting out is a nice change of pace from the HUR DUR overpowered omnipotent evil man that is 100000x stronger than main character in first movie

No it isn't, it's a major deviation from the format and it ruins the movie.
>>
>>64032748
>Episode VII is just a Rehash of ANH
>It's a major deviation from the formula and ruins the movie

pick one
>>
>>64032748
>format

Top kek, what format? The format they are supposed to follow? Why are they supposed to follow it? Do you seriously want another boring as fuck broken villain instead of an interesting diverse character that struggles to grow in this universe and changes throughout the movie
>>
who did luke fuck to pop out such a qt?
>>
>tfw Vader spends the majority of Empire force choking a series of generals to death by asphyxiation

why was he allowed to do that? surely human resources would have gone mental at him. why would people work alongside such a guy
>>
>TFA sucked! It was just a rehash of ANH!
>Why wasn't it's villain just like ANH's villain?!

/tv/, everyone
>>
>>64030491
>clear motivations and goals
???
>>
>>64031743
>Until the end of Jedi he shows now character traits other than being a badass.
Did you skip Empire? The whole movie is basically Vader seeking his long lost son to take him under his wing, or kill him to please his master. The whole twist to Empire's ending clearly shows there's more to Vader making that whole mission of his in the movie bluntly obvious. The end of Jedi is the same thing just turned up to 11.
>>
>>64032830
HR got mad at him but then he choked them.
>>
File: Kylo Ren.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Kylo Ren.jpg
372 KB, 1920x1080
>Not loving Kylo Ren
/tv/ will be sucking his dick when Episode VIII screen.
Unless the /b/ mentality grows stronger
>>
>>64032768

I pick both: That Episode VII is an inferior rehash of A New Hope because of things like Kylo Ren.

If Abrams wanted to introduce some new style of villain he should have done it in a movie that wasn't a rehash. And if he wanted to make a rehash he shouldn't have fucked with the formula because he just made it worse.

>>64032777
>Top kek, what format? The format they are supposed to follow? Why are they supposed to follow it?

The format established by the original trilogy, which was based on the hero's journey, pulp sci-fi/fantasy stories, mythlogy and B-movies. Star Wars was good because it was 100% cliche.

>Do you seriously want another boring as fuck broken villain instead of an interesting diverse character that struggles to grow in this universe and changes throughout the movie

Yes, absolutely. I want a villain that is intimidating and fun to root against. That is the entire point of Star Wars, it's unsophisticated escapism. It's not a deep psychological drama, that shit has no place in Star Wars.
>>
>>64032560
I hate him because he's not a convincing villain. That's worse than a flat one like say Maul or Dooku.

It's not that he's a whiny fanboy with daddy issues, it's that he's not written well. He claims to be conflicted but doesn't do any good deeds to balance the bad. That's a fundamental flaw.

Besides it's not explained why he would fap to Vader and the dark side despite Luke and all beyond "lol Snoke did it".
>>
I dislike characters that we are told are complex and deep without showing their development on-screen. It was lazy writing and makes me feel like this is some Marvel movie and not a space opera
>>
>>64033573
>>64033483
Said as much.
>>
>>64033573
>I dislike characters that we are told are complex and deep without showing their development on-screen

Bingo.

Did any of you also get the feeling that the dialogue in this movie was really uh... how do I put it - millennial? I swear in the other movies, the way characters reacted to crazy shit was way less ego-intensive and insecure than say, Finn's many instances of him going "DID YOU SEE THAT? LOOK AT WHAT WE DID. WE DID IT. WE DID IT YEAH WOW YAHOO" while chest thumping.
>>
File: Jawa_fortress.jpg (510 KB, 800x675) Image search: [Google]
Jawa_fortress.jpg
510 KB, 800x675
>>64030491

Nah, I don't care. I like Kylo Ren, and the idea that he is still developing too. His unstable mind is also pretty intimidating because he's more capable of doing fucked up shit. They can't make an ultimate bad guy anymore, shits played out.

I do miss little things, like Jawas, Sandpeople, Ewoks, weird droids.
>>
>>64033483
>>64033573
>>64033668
What line is there left to cross when you've been cosplaying as Vader and doing all sorts of evil shit for space Nazis for years? Killing your old man who you haven't seen for all those years is nothing.

If might have worked if he was only Kylo Ren for months not many years.
>>
>>64030615
>>
File: ayyyy.jpg (38 KB, 405x405) Image search: [Google]
ayyyy.jpg
38 KB, 405x405
>>64030615
>>
>>64032560
>Everyone either recognizes what his character is, empathizes with it, and loves him; or says he's whiny and hates him for losing and not being intimidating.

lots of people recognize what his character is, and dislike him because they think his character is shitty
>>
>>64030491

Darth Vader was never intimidating. He has a god damn bucket for a head.
>>
>>64030615
>>
>>64032805
Yo mamma

https://youtu.be/V4n0F9R90F0
>>
>>64030491
kylo is not a bad villain at all and it is humanized (and dehumanized) since the first movie.

Vader was only cooler but his job was just being cool and menacing. He starts being a human being from the end of 5 and onwards

and who really looks more pathetic without the mask?
>>
>>64033676
i miss jar jar
>>
File: 6.png (99 KB, 275x308) Image search: [Google]
6.png
99 KB, 275x308
>>64031708
>commanding a military body on behalf a government body
>evil
shit nigger wtf u doin
>>
>>64033676
We didn't get a group of all one new alien, did we?
>>
If it was the same you'd complain they were rehashing villains.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 1055x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 1055x533
>>64030615
>>
File: First Order.png (738 KB, 765x562) Image search: [Google]
First Order.png
738 KB, 765x562
>>
>>64032043
"Give us the death star plans now"
How's that for goals and motivations?
In ANH Vader wasnt even that important in the empire. You can see this when he meets with the other officers and several people outrank him, including a guy that insults his belief in the force. His had clear instructions to follow and was basically a high level lackey, a strongman, a big guy.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.