[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retcons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (98 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
98 KB, 480x270
Does anyone familiar with the making of the original trilogy know at what point it was decided to make Vader Luke's father? Was that something planned from the first one or was it retconned what ESB was being made?

I assume Leia being Luke's sister was one of the dumb decisions George made when he gained more control over RoTJ than he had in ESB.
>>
>>64017414
There are insinuations about Leia throughout the series.

As for Vader being Anakin, just watch Alec Guinness' performance as Obi-Wan when they're on Tatooine and he's telling Luke about his father - it's obvious that he's holding back information. Also Owen and Beru's dialogue.
>>
>>64017414
>at what point it was decided to make Vader Luke's father?
When Lucas wrote the first few drafts of ESB.

>>64017564
This guy is an idiot.
>>
>that realisation when luke defeated vader on dagobah after he was tracked there and was so shocked by the experience he hallucinated the rest of ESB and ROTJ
>>
>>64017599
Then explain owens dialogue.
>>
They didn't decide Vader was his father until the production of ESB.

Originally, Vader was going to reveal to Luke that Obi-wan killed his father.
>>
>>64017768
When he says "That's what I'm afraid of"? He obviously didn't want Luke to get killed by Darth Vader.
>>
>>64017414
Vader was made Luke's father in the second draft of ESB.

Leia was made Luke's sister when they decided they weren't going to make another 3 movies so they had to wrap everything up with ROTJ.
>>
>>64017414
I know that for a long time, the idea was that Vader would reveal to Luke that Obi-Wan murdered his father. Changing it happened sometime during the production of Empire, but the script was still kept the same and the change was only revealed on set of the filming the reveal scene. Only Lucas and Irvin Kershner knew about what was going to happen before then.
>>
Confirming that Vader was NOT Luke's father during ANH

Another fun fact: The Empire was originally envisioned as a military junta. the emperor the admirals at the round table refer to was a puppet leader who did their bidding
>>
>>64017929
Mark Hamill knew too.
>>
>>64017599
Why go around name calling like that? You could have just said he is wrong.
>>
The story was cleverly written enough to go either way. But I think the suddenness of the Vader reveal kind of hurt ESB as a film. But it did give us two of the best films in the Saga

Revenge of the Sith & Return of the Jedi ;^)
>>
>>64017830
>Originally, Vader was going to reveal to Luke that Obi-wan killed his father
What
>>
>>64018003
This is 4chan, it would be out of the norm if you aren't called a nigger or faggot or even both.
>>
>>64017831
No, he obviously didn't want Luke to die like his father did. He probably had no fucking clue Vader was Anakin, how in the fuck would he know that?
>>
>>64018026
>But I think the suddenness of the Vader reveal kind of hurt ESB as a film
I think everybody who saw ESB when it came out would disagree with you
>>
>>64018003
Hello, idiot
>>
>>64018026
>But I think the suddenness of the Vader reveal kind of hurt ESB as a film
How so?
>>
I always felt like in ESB there was suddenly a rush to show Vader as a human under the armour, like the scene where the officer interrupts him while meditating

In New Hope it felt more like he was just some machine or even strange alien
>>
>>64017944
that would have been so much cooler. I wish they would revisit this idea for snoke.
>>
>>64017830
>>64018040
That was a fake line to throw people off.
>>
>>64018040
"I am your father" wasn't in the script. Only James Earl Jones and mark hamill knew the true line as to prevent spoilers getting out. "Obi wan killed your father" is what was in the script and what David prowse performed, it was never intended to be real
>>
>>64018089
You need help. Bye.
>>
>>64018182
You're a big dummy
>>
>>64018166
Snoke's thing is that he is like 3 foot tall.
>>
>>64018135
That's true. One of the main reasons why that scene with him without his helmet was there was to show people that he really was a human being under the armor. Lots of people who saw the first movie thought he was a robot, which is strange because there's always his trademark breathing sound.
>>
Lucas always wanted Vader to be Luke's father. There is evidence in the film and witness testimony, including Lucas' own words attesting to that fact.

Leia being Luke's sister was a last minute decision.
>>
>>64017414
Just the way Obi-Wan looks after he said "He was a good friend..." makes me believe Vader was always going to be Luke's father.
>>
>>64018362
Lucas is a liar who constantly changes his story about almost every element of the series. The script development tells the truth. Vader was never intended to be Luke's father at any point in the making of Star Wars. It only became an idea during the making of ESB.
>>
All you motherfuckers debating episode IV's dialogue and blatantly ignoring that Anakin was turned into Vader in the third fucking movie.
>>
>>64018079

That's just shock. The same kind of shock people get from cheap soap opera reveals. It's not necessarily a testament to the product's quality.

>>64018091

THe fact that ESB ends on that note with no greater explanation is actually not something to the film's better credit as the quality of that bit of writing becomes more dependent on its follow up. It's ROTJ that gives the whole reveal its meaning and purpose. By itself, it's just kind of there for shock value's sake, lingering with no explanation and very little in foreshadowing prior that scene. The only way they could confirm it so audiences weren't left thinking Vader was just lying was with "search your feelings."
>>
>>64018214
Dark Yoda then?`Fuck is this confirmed?
>>
>>64017414
Why you no watch the special features?
>>
>>64018542
I'm pretty sure Disney said Snoke is 7 feet tall.
>>
>>64018472
This!
>>
was RotJ the one with the forrest speeders? I remember loving the shit out of them. I haven't watched them in years but I remember that movie having the midget monkeys
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.