[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was a nearly exact copy of A New Hope...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (841 KB, 2400x1621) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
841 KB, 2400x1621
This was a nearly exact copy of A New Hope...
>>
this is a good thread OP. you've done very well.
>>
It used elements from ANH to tell a different story, calling it an exact copy is a meme
>>
>>64006912
I'm sure having another death star is a meme
>>
>>64006863
Yeah, but I would argue it ends exactly like V.

But we've got great acting, solid action and emotions and characters you want to know more.

Nobody could hope for more.

Can we expect extended edition on DVD?
>>
File: WVk2qyt.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
WVk2qyt.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>
a glib facsimile
>>
>>64006863
IT'S LIKE POETRY
>>
"It's a soft reboot"
-RLM
>>
Is it as bad as previous 3 prequels?
>>
>>64006959

>Nobody could hope for more
>acknowledging the movie is a copy of the other movies but has "great acting, solid action"

you guys are just so fucking sad. the Hollywood system has just succeeded so perfectly at lowering your standards to the point that you feel as though you got lucky to even get a movie that is a nostalgic copy of the movies you used to love

maybe you don't deserve anything better
>>
>>64006912
Elements? Having a relatively unimportant seeming character who was abandoned at birth on a desert planet then taken in a trained by an old mentor, then involved in a mission to destroy a planet sized battle station capable of destroying planets, then watching that mentor be killed by the evil guy, who's dressed in all black complete with covered face, unlocking their rage and making them go on a fucking rampage and beat the super well trained bad guy seemingly out of nowhere. That's just elements?
>>
>>64007048
George Lucas is right
These autist only want a reboot of the OT
>>
>>64006948
>Le bigger death star meme
It absolutely is. In ANH the death star was the focus of the finale. Luke was doing the trench run, Vader was attacking him, and Han came to his rescue.
In this movie:
One protagonist doesn't give a shit about the star killer and just uses it as an excuse to save his waifu, but is eventually talked into helping
The other protagonist isn't aware the star killer exists
The main villain has exactly fuck all to do with the star killer
The focus is completely different
>>
>>64007076
>then taken in a trained by an old mentor,
If you haven't seen the movie you need to shut the fuck up
>>
>>64007098
Yes
The main focus is how after the not Death Star blew up, r2d2 magically wakes up and had the final map piece all along :)
>>
>>64007118
This
Rey is a strong woman! She don't need no mentor to beat kylo's ass
>>
>>64007136
Glad to see people admitting they're wrong 2bh, doesn't happen often enough
>>
>>64007038
Of course not
>>
>>64007098
That doesn't make it not a rip off. They should have come up with something somewhat original
>>
Nothing but a glib facsimile.
>>
>>64007118
Han Solo definitely trained Rey. It wasn't as explicit as the others
>>
.>>64007136
>had the final map piece all along

People who say TFA is shit and demonstrate a lack of understanding the plot should be banned.
>>
>>64007174
It helps when the whole point of the movie is really 30 mins long. The rest is useless and doesn't do world building or character development
>>
>>64007190
I honestly believe they just did it so they'd have an excuse to suck the light from the room in the Kylo-Han scene, so fuck it, it was worth it
>>
>>64007228
People who make no counter arguments should go back to reddit
You can downboat stuff you hate there
>>
>>64007220
No he didn't, if anything it was the other way around, and he sure as fuck wasn't her mentor
>>
It was allright if they just removed the whole mary sue thing.
>>
>>64007048
>>64007048
And A New Hope is fucking copy of Hidden Fortress - everything is fucking copy.

In these movies I am interested in likable characters, simple adventure with some mystery behind, simple and old patterns - father/son, good/evil and so on. It is not fucking high culture, but Star Wars.

>>64007086

We have mystery back, we have real characters back.

Fuck Lucas and his prequels.
>>
>>64007270
And if the Death Star didn't excist
>>
>>64007038
At least they tried to make an original story in the prequels.
>>
>>64007270
She's apparently a mindwiped Knight of Ren, so at least it makes sense and leaves some plot for the other movies
>>
>>64007048

>He gives enough of a fuck for a children movie so he go on the internet to argue about it

Star Wars never ever was good, anon-kun. Let it go. If you have some standarts go watch something else.
>>
>>64007257
He was an old legend to her, may as well be a mentor. Enough for her to get some kind of dumb emotional attachment just like Obi wan when he died in front of Luke's eyes
>>
>>64007280
Yeah but why remake a movie litterly everybody saw. This isn't Star Trek, fucking everyone saw the original star wars.
>>
>>64007280
Have you actually watched Hidden Fortress? Lucas got the concept of the story being told through the eyes from droids from that movie. That's pretty much it
>>
More like The Feminist Mary Sue Awakens

>"I think i can handle myself"

This is fanfiction tumblr-tier dialogue. Wtf.
>>
>>64007037
Lol I knew those guys were massive plebs. I mean, Mike basically spent months of his life making a ton of reviews bitching over Star Trek and other nerd shit, I don't know why I didn't see it sooner.
>>
File: yuck yoda.png (173 KB, 326x274) Image search: [Google]
yuck yoda.png
173 KB, 326x274
>>64007294
>>64007457
>>
It is a copy of A New Hope pretty much, accept ANH was actually better written, paced, and directed overall.
>>
>>64006863
It's the beginning of ANH in the beginning for Finn, Poe, and Rey
Even more ANH with Rey sneaking around the not Death Star and the old guy dying
Then the end turns into RotJ because you have the ground team, a lightsaber battle, and the deathstar blowing up is more of a B plot (even more in TFA than in RotJ)
>>
>>64007038
>>64007179
>teh prequals sux0red so hard lol XD do I fit in you guys? :D:D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
>>
>>64006863
Star Wars was never about story.

It was always about characters.

Why?

Because Star Wars is set in a unknown galaxy - the only thing that is close to us are people.

If you try to tell complicated story it will break itself and it will be too much complicated, but without any depth (ṕrequels).

I want to see good guys fight bad guys in a world I dont fully understand. I want this mythological world. Without fucking Wookipedia and EU shit.

New movie started this. They showed us that they understand what makes IV and V good.

But I admit that Deathstar III was too much. But why wasn't Deathstar II problem?
>>
>>64008001
A solid story drives characters. Fucking fanboy, a bad story with "good characters" is a shit movie
>>
>>64007179
This. It's worse
>>
>>64007230
Worth it for a bad scene?
>>
Why do people hate the prequels? I saw the original trilogy as a child and thought they were campy garbage.

I grew up on the premier of every prequel movie and left the theater with a slack jaw because they were so amazing.

Force awakens was also utter trash, it literally was just a recycled new hope.

Reminded me of the new godzilla, they just threw together a random story so they could ignite some nostalgia and dominate the box office with better cg.

Also the lightsaber duel in force awakens wasn't even remotely fun to watch.
>>
The forget to do the thing where they pretend to be stormtroopers when they rescued Rey
>>
>>64008126
Best death scene in the franchise
>>
Dude who cares. A New Hope is nearly 40 years old, and even tough this is technically a sequel it's pretty much a "reboot" for a new generation of people.
>>
>>64008223
Bit too forgettable for that desu
>>
>>64007615
You're the one trying to fit in 2bh.
>>
>>64006863
>nearly exact copy
Care to rephrase that? Maybe use another wording?
>>
>>64008369
They literally turned off the sun for that scene, people won't forget it any time soon
>>
Did luke gave the high ground at the end?
>>
>>64008001
>It was always about characters.
Star Wars, even the OT, has always had two dimensional characters. Han is the rogue, Luke is the unwilling protagonist, Obi-Wan is the old wise man, Leia is the damsel. Now they mostly all get an arc, but they're all ages old archetypes.
>>
>>64008077
And the story is solid - it is story told thousand times before.
>>
>>64006987
Rey and Finn never meet Lars. Poe is the only character who we see talk to him and he dies in the first 5 minutes of the movie.
>>
>>64008163
You're an idiot that values pew pews over actual emotion and confrontation.

I was 9 when Phantom Menace came out. Jar Jar was there for me. Anakin was there for me. nothing in the prequels gave me chills like "I'm a Jedi, like my father before me." Even in single digits I knew that shit was powerful, magic even. The prequels were ugly disappointed messes and the poetry was the only shit I liked. The thing I hated most about Star Wars was that weird CGI singing scene in RotJ, the prequels are more like that special edition addition than the original trilogy.

Even as a kid if you can't tell that Yoda lifting the x-wing, Luke jumping into the depths of Cloud City, the final Luke and Vader duel are what Star Wars is all about then you fucked up. Yes Yoda is a two foot muppet voiced by miss piggy, but he's teaching you these ideas about greater moralities. That shitty little retard muppet is teaching you about how to be a good guy. The prequels just had Obi-Wan yelling at Anakin and Anakin crying about it.

If you were even mildly amused with the Anakin vs Dooku fight then there's no hope. If you liked Yoda with a lightsaber your opinion isn't worth hearing. If you think III's duel is better than Empire of Jedi's then you fucked up at Star Wars.

And stop using literally to mean "I'm very serious about this next point," it makes you sound like a teenager.
>>
>>64006987
>Rey isn't an orphan
>BB8 didn't go to Jakku to escape, he was there before.
>Rey never met Lars San Tekka
>Lars San Tekka tells noone nothing about "what they need to do"
>noone burned/destroyed Rey's hometown (even if we cut "hometown" it was only some trade post that was damaged during their escape)
>Han and Chewie never helped Rey or Finn escape Jakku
>"the crew" (Han, CHewie, Finn, Rey and BB8) doesn't learn anything about Starkiller base until much later in the movie
>Han Solo was never Rey's mentor, not even close
>nothing is revealed about Rey's family (yet) and the fact, that he was seduced by the dark side is said literally in the first scene of the movie, by Lars San Tekka.
>We don't know if Snoke is a sith lord, Palpi was never a sith lord in OT, and his status was only "secret" in PT.
>Rey connections to the force are revealed in the course of the movie.

Most of these are just misinterpretations by some angry contrarian shitters that judge the whole movie by webms, shitposts and le funny memes.

Inspirations are obvious, but in actual context of the movie most of them are played out differently. It stand it's own ground. Only major bullshit about TFA is Death Star 3.0, but luckily it doesn't play a major role in it.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.