[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>in under 14 parsec ITS NOT A UNIT OF TIME REEEEEEEEEEEE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: Millennium-Falcon_018ea796.jpg (77 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Millennium-Falcon_018ea796.jpg
77 KB, 768x432
>in under 14 parsec

ITS NOT A UNIT OF TIME REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>The Kessel Run was a hyperspace route[1] used by smugglers and unscrupulous freighter captains to move spice from the spice mines of Kessel at the behest of the Pyke Syndicate, who relied on the foolhardy Kessel Runs to deliver the illicit substance to their customers.[2] Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, made the infamous run in less than twelve parsecs,[3] breaking a long-held record.[1]
For all you know the challenge was perhaps to make the run in the least distance possible because of the complexity of the route...
>>
>>64003778
thats bs though even complex routes like climbing Mt. Everest are measured in weeks/days/hours
>>
Time and speed are the same thing.
Just like acceleration and gravity are the same thing.

eg lightyear. Speedtime. Saying he did it in under *12 parsecs is perfectly reasonable.
>>
>>64003718
>>64003778

It still makes sense if it's distance

In under 14 miles!

It was 12 miles!
>>
File: 1450160108230.png (153 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1450160108230.png
153 KB, 540x960
>>64003718
This bothers me too
>>
>>64003718
"TWELVE parsecs! Only true Star Wars fans will get this (it's a meme quote from Star wars)"
Thanks, JJ
>>
In star wars, hyperdrive travel is instantaneous. So, the measure of a better/worse route is a measure of how much distance is traveled. So the implication that 12 parsecs is impressive means the route had a very small margin of error by traveling very close to gravitational bodies.

etc.
>>
Americans can't into measurement systems
>>
>>64004392
>Time and speed are the same thing.
My brain hurts.
>>
>>64004519
Almost. Since fuel is expensive, a fool hardy captain able to cut of a few miles from a regular route will save a lot in the long run. But the question was if MF is a fast ship, not can Han take a faster route.
>>
>>64004953

The skill of the captain determines the performance of the (space)ship. In this case, the speed record is a reflection of Han's mastery over the ship rather than the general performance of the ship - which has ranged from godlike to shit tier.
>>
>>64003718
It was supposed to be some non-sense from Han to impress his clients. See Obi-Wan's face, he acknowledges the bullshit about the Millennium Falcon's supposed speed. IIRC the earlier scripts and novelization made it nore evident.

But EU idiots, in their stupid attempt to explain what it doesn't need to be explained, ruined it.
>>
>>64004519
>Hey Matt, I just ran that marathon in 38.6 kilometers!

>whoah nelly
>>
>>64005162
>Isn't that kind of cheating?

>Yeah, but look at my medal
>>
>>64005193
Well he is a smuggler
>>
Traveling in SPACE at THE SPEED OF LIGHT is NOT the same as driving, running or flying here on earth.
There's already been several correct answers and explanations ITT.
>>
>>64005162
solid logic
>>
>>64005162
>hey matt, I just took a trip to Boston, i rode for 50 miles!
>whoah really? I took a shortcut and rode for 45 miles!
>>
Have you ever heard Lucas trying to explain away this retarded mistake? He does it in the audio commentary on the DVD. It's the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard. He just can't admit he's wrong.
>>
The way hyperspace works in star wars is that it's a tangled mess of tunnels and webs. Finding an efficient route is very important and ship maneuverability and speed is an important part of navigating that maze.
>>
>>64005341
What does he say?
>>
>>64005341
The Kessel Run was one of the most heavily used smuggling routes in the Galactic Empire.[4] Han Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec is a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.[source?] The smuggler BoShek actually beat Solo's record in his ship, Infinity, but without cargo to weigh him down. A few months later, Han Solo beat both his own and BoShek's records in a run he made with Luke Skywalker.[3]

Once again it's left to the EU to explain Lucas' retardation
>>
>>64003718
From what I've heard, the reason the run was so dangerous was because there were multiple black holes along the route, and rather than going around and staying close like normal smugglers, Han and Chewie decided to try flying between the black holes.
>>
they measure it in distance because everyone travels at the speed of light so the only skill is to find better routes
>>
>>64005141
This.
>>
>>64003718
Thanks Neil DegGrasee aka Space Jesus
>>
>>64005511
They travel far faster than the speed of light anon

It takes 100 000 years for light to cross the milky way for example
>>
>>64004780
>In star wars, hyperdrive travel is instantaneous
No it's not. We see them in hyperspace all the time.
>>
The script was fine in a New Hope. It's just autists couldn't see that Han was bullshitting. You do know characters can lie in movies, right?
>>
>>64005570
And the movies took place a long time ago. We're just seeing them now because of how slow light travels
>>
>>64005260
They don't travel in space and there haven't been any correct explanations beyond those dismissing it as a bad line.
>>
Im sure they foresaw that 40 years in the future every line in the movie would be a meme unto itself.
>>
File: enfin2.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
enfin2.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>64005692
Woah
>>
>>64005511
The different speed of different ships is literally discussed in every movie.

The millennium falcon is literally famous for being an exceptionally fast shift.
>>
>>64005315
IT WAS 40 MILES!!
>>
>>64005392
>without cargo to weigh him down
>in space
>>
>>64005141
This. Motherfucking this!
Then again I'm not surprised most morons miss it, because it's such a subtle reaction from Ben

>But EU idiots, in their stupid attempt to explain what it doesn't need to be explained, ruined it.

This was one of the things I was really hoping we'd loose with the wiping of the EU. But nope, had to leave in the whole "Han Solo is so great! He can do anything!" bullshit. Why can't we just have Han Solo as a lying, cheating, drug smuggler that he's suppose to be?
>>
>>64005817
>next to black holes

It matters
>>
>>64004953
I've always liked the theory that Solo deliberately makes this mistake in order to gauge Luke's and Obi-Wan's knowledge of spacecraft before quoting his price.
>>
>>64005817
>What is inertial mass.
>>
>>64004780
>In star wars, hyperdrive travel is instantaneous.

No it isn't, in A New Hope, they've been travelling through hyperspace for several hours until they reached Alderaan/Death Star.
>>
File: chewie-db_2c0efea2.jpg (187 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
chewie-db_2c0efea2.jpg
187 KB, 768x433
Just how many ladies has this suave motherfucker pulled over the years?
>>
>>64005141
Hacks......
>>
>>64005672

This. The Millenium Falcon is shit and so was Han. He can't even pay his debts.
>>
>>64003718
IT'S 12!
>>
>>64003998
>complex routes like mount everest

But there's only one route that's actually used
>>
>>64005696
It's not a bad line. Han was spouting off some bullshit hoping to impress what he saw as a couple of hick farmers.
>>
>>64003718
Isn't the EU explanation that it was supposed to be impressive because completing the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs required traveling an extremely dangerous route?
>>
File: wookie_figures_diorama.jpg (132 KB, 673x500) Image search: [Google]
wookie_figures_diorama.jpg
132 KB, 673x500
>>64006340
COME HOME TO YOUR FAMILY CHEWIE
THEY MISS YOU
>>
>>64006628
Yeah, The shorter the route, the closer you would have to fly near "The Maw" which is an unstable group of black holes.
>>
>>64006593
Even if it was bullshit, he could at least use the correct units of measure.
>>
>>64006718
But that's the whole point -- he was so full of himself/shit that he assumed Ben and Luke didn't know what a parsec was.
>>
>>64003718
12 not 14 you retard
>>
ITT: People who have never even taken a glance at relativity and FTL theories.
>>
All it would've taken was for Lucas to say parsec is a made up word for the Star Wars universe, like Wookie or nerf herder.
It's just a coincidence that a measure of time in the SW universe is the same word as a measure of distane irl.

It could've been soooo simple.
>>
>>64006593
Yeah, that explanation is okay too. I hadn't realized anyone had posted that one yet. Han bullshitting or fucking up is pretty much the only way to make it work.
>>
File: Lb5v5.gif (499 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Lb5v5.gif
499 KB, 500x281
>>64006792
The way you posted that makes me pretty sure you don't have any formal training in physics either. Reading popsci shit or "totally self teaching" doesn't count.

You can deny it, we both know it's true.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.