[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Even Vice knows what the score is here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: jjgl.jpg (139 KB, 1088x816) Image search: [Google]
jjgl.jpg
139 KB, 1088x816
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-force-awakens-is-the-least-interesting-star-wars-yet

>"Ultimately, Force Awakens is more a product of the same market logic that gave rise to the Marvel Universe films—a logic that rewards emulation and nostalgia above all; reusing ideas, characters, and narrative arcs that have already proven lucrative—than it is of the imagination that launched the series nearly four decades ago."
>>
BASED LUCAS
A
S
E
D

L
U
C
A
S

DISNEY A SHIT
>>
>>63984372
redditor a on suicide watch
>>
Pretty depressing. Even Star Wars can't save us from this shit.
>>
>>63984372
GLIB
>>
>>63984372
>a logic that rewards emulation and nostalgia above all; reusing ideas, characters, and narrative arcs that have already proven lucrative
Wow, you mean like most film sequels - including all of the previous Star Wars movies?
>>
>>63984467
FACSIMILE
>>
I hope the people who keep praising this movie and the shitposters who trash it both leave in 2016
>>
I agree with this actually

For all the hate the prequels get at least they were something new and had a unique style
>>
But the original Star Wars took ideas, characters and narrative arcs from movies before it too, it's just that normies don't know anything about them.
>>
>>63984372
TFA Disney Drones

BTFO
ONCE
AGAIN
>>
File: Death_Star_Gunner.jpg (216 KB, 774x1413) Image search: [Google]
Death_Star_Gunner.jpg
216 KB, 774x1413
http://mashable.com/2015/12/22/star-wars-backlash/#gBLLdxeas8q9

the fire is rising
>>
>>63984518
At least they took themselves seriously and weren't 90% callbacks
>>
movies are at a point where even star wars can't try something new because of market forces. space samurais that become ghosts can't try anything new.
>>
>>63984372
>star wars
>not ripping off Hidden Fortress in the first place
You just look even more pleb when you try to be this contrarian.
>>
It's capitalism eating all of the little that is left of creativity and it won't ever end, it will only grow more and more towards that. In 20 years, all of this that we are having right now is going to sound very original to us.

Capeshit is not a fad, Star Wars is not just a name. You're going to be hearing about the same characters over and over again, 50 years in the future. It won't be anymore about one copying the other, but about three or four household names that will repeat themselves endlessly. Cult/obscure films will be any film that is not a Batman/Star Wars film, mark my word.

This thing will not be exhausted unless there is a revolution in the way people consume things and there is no such revolution anywhere near in sight.
>>
File: atonement_15703.jpg (195 KB, 720x1065) Image search: [Google]
atonement_15703.jpg
195 KB, 720x1065
>>63984372
George Drinking Coke? He is autistic.
>>
Hahaha the jokes on him because I saw TFA and enjoyed it. I'm not gonna let some faggot I've never heard of ruin my good time.
>>
>>63984372
Marvel movies have no redeeming qualities besides being able to sit your kids in one place for a few hours
>>
>>63984749
Are you really this retarded
Don't blame capitalism, blame the people who devour this shit
Blame democracy if you're gonna blame anything stupid fucking hipster
>>
>>63984563

There are going to be a lot of 1 time viewers of this movie and a lot of word of mouth criticisms. It won't ever do Avatar numbers and it might lose to the first Avengers movie.
>>
No, I’m not trolling, and yes, I fully acknowledge that the prequels were, mostly, very terrible movies, and Lucas is blamed for the wreckage. But I started to realize that as works of imagination, they’re actually pretty impressive. They sought not to create full-scale retreads of the original Star Wars but to expand and enrich it; the films were bursting with color, imaginative city-worlds, clone armies, duels on volcano planets, and an explanation of the fall of a democratic intergalactic society and the rise of an autocratic Empire.
>>
>>63985030
>So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause.
>>
>>63984372
>vice
go awy reddit
>>
File: Y-Wing_1.jpg (133 KB, 1598x680) Image search: [Google]
Y-Wing_1.jpg
133 KB, 1598x680
While I liked Episode VII I will say there is some valid criticism for the film.

Disney took a fat pitch that is a worldwide beloved franchise and just hit a double not swing for the fences.

I do get where Vice is coming from but it is a business and Disney is about profit as we all know so this should not come as a shock to anyone that Disney played it safe.

One of my grievances is they left out my beloved Y-Wing. The Monsters!

I was more interested to see what Rain Johnson does with it then JJ to be honest.
>>
>>63984854
Capitalism is the key to all this, though, as it mostly is.

Speaking in a strictly capitalist sense, there is nothing wrong to any of this, on the contrary, it is just going more and more right (just more right to just a few people). Afterall, wouldn't anyone just choose the most profitable and reliable course of action? Why would you risk losing money at anything if you could research and reapply formula, if you could measure investments and adapt your story fully to it, if you can inject money on marketing to crop even more money later on. It is inevitable that the companies will grow fewer in number as the most rich ones are able to sustain themselves and go on full offense at the box office. It has happened and is happening right now too.

You have DC and Harry Potter on Warner, then Pirates, Marvel and Star Wars on Disney and then just an odd one out every few years and this odd one will only diminish. Each one of those companies, even if they are disguised under different franchise names, have a clear and broad way to work and to think their stories. And they won't miss, not only because they give people what they want, but because they are able to invest in making people want more and more of that thing.

Why would anyone blame stupid "people who devour this shit"? They don't know better, they've seen posters and trailers and news and friends and toys all hinting to one single experience of watching that thing in theaters. It would be unfair to blame them, because to the studios they are just numbers and they are dealt with in numbers.
>>
>>63985030
>They sought not to create full-scale retreads of the original Star Wars but to expand and enrich it

I wouldn't call them retreads but there's "poetry" and reused/stolen shots everywhere. "Enrich" is also way too positive a word to describe how the prequels treated the Star Wars universe. It mostly shit on it.

>the films were bursting with color, imaginative city-worlds, clone armies, duels on volcano planets

Most of which looked like garbage because of the ridiculous overuse of CGI, even by Hollywood standards. The Anakin vs Obiwan duel was also far too silly and drawn-out. The much shorter and simpler Kylo Ren duel was way more effective and had a stronger emotional impact.

>an explanation of the fall of a democratic intergalactic society and the rise of an autocratic Empire

A very poor one where everyone acts stupidly and the pacing is atrocious. Don't get me wrong, it would have been nice to know more about the political situation in TFA, but praising the prequel for its hamfisted post 9/11 political commentary is misguided at best.
>>
>>63984749

Don't delude yourself, the prequels were absolutely made for the money.
>>
>>63985331
it would both me more if there hadn't been a bunch of really good movies released this year. the sad thing is that it seems to be harder and harder to link quality to profit without the marketing already in place.
>>
>>63985512
I never said they weren't. Same with every single big movie, of course. But the more the competition rises, the less you are allowed to take risks.
>>
>>63984749
youre adorable
>>
>>63985331
>blame the stupid consumer
>or blame the smart man who knows how to make money
>I'll blame the smart man who knows how to make money

It's what the people want, so it's what they get. I'm sorry hollywood doesn't call you up every time their planning on making a movie and making sure it meets your required criteria.

The system isn't to blame, it's the people. Who the fuck blames someone for making a product good enough that people want more? Absolutely stupid.
>>
>>63984759
Could be coke and rum.
>>
>>63985617
I can't even say for what is good and for what is not. Your judgement or mine or the other guy's is invariably linked to what we expect from movies and thus, from what we are told to expect from them and from the movies we've seen in the past.

I'm talking strictly about new vs rehash and about variety vs monopoly. We can go talking which Marvel movie is better than the other, but they are ultimately just getting money for the same people. We may be presented with a few surprises in a movie's plot or production here and there, but let's not fool ourselves and pretend these are not all engulfed within the safe range of a company's expectations.
>>
>>63984590
You're one dumb motherfucker, aren't you
>>
>>63984766
You sound like a child. I do not mean buzzword 'manchildren only like scifi' or whatever, I mean an actual child.
Your enjoyment and appreciation of this film, maybe even the entire series, is so paper thin you refuse to entertain others opinions to "ruin my good time". You are essentially no different than the trigger warning on door 'safe space' idiots.

To be clear I do not care if you enjoyed the film. I thought it was mediocre but most of my old friends seemed to love it. I just think you sound like someone afraid to introspect so you are digging in your heels proudly as you put your fingers in your ears and scream 'blah blah blah blah'.
>>
>>63984372
Do you really believe that the OT was original and not rehashed or outright taken from other sources?
>>
>>63984372
Those guys both have great hair tbqh
>>
>>63985827
I don't like capeshit. I mean there have been a bunch of good films over the previous year that don't follow any formula. creative films are still made, even occasionally by major studios.
>>
if I want coca cola (big franchise) I will go to the store (big chain theater) and buy coca cola )

if I want something like cucumber soda (le art house super srs patrician cinema) then I shall go to the mom and pop specialty store (indie theater) and I'll buy something exotic
>>
>reading vice
>caring about other people's opinion
top keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek
>>
>>63984372
>Vice
You realize Vice are a bunch of hipster contrarians sitting around being faggots and criticizing everything right?
>>
>>63984590
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs

Force Awakens shares a couple of base similarities to the original flick but there's also a lot of original shit going on, too.
>>
BTFO
http://whatculture.com/film/12-reasons-star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-a-disappointment.php
>>
>>63985725
"What people want" doesn't come from nowhere, these companies tell you what to want. More than that, they would never give you "more than what you want". And yes, this is a thing.

I could pitch you a movie about a submarine adventure and tell you, the producer, that underwater adventures are the next big thing. I might be right or not, and this limbo exists as long as the project doesn't go into production, that is, as long as you trust me. If I don't give you a way to see this working, the project won't happening. There is no other safer bet than to point to what was already made, to say a character worked before and so you can do it again and again. This pervails everything and it gets progressively harder for one to risk on something that is new and inventive. I might have a great submarine story that you really don't want right now, but that you'd love it if it really came out.

The original Star Wars took a lot from Flash Gordon, Kurosawa and what have you, there were reasons to invest in it, but there was also a major risk and it could have flopped. This risk is diminishing over the years as the companies rely more and more on household names. As these names grow stronger and stronger, anything that derails from these tendencies is going to sound weird and people will go back to what is, of course, what everyone is talking about. The risk is not only in the part of the producer, but of the viewer as well and people will go to the safe bet, even if a movie is horrible, they'll go because they can still talk about that safe place. Even if the Hobbit is awful, Gandalf is still there and that's what counts.

Also, I'm not talking only about capeshit names and stuff like that, but about the way a movie is edited and written, if the characters represent this or that portion of society, what kind of ending people want and so on.
>>
I feel like the whole reactionary facade here and reviews like in the OP are more a way of letting go of what everyone thought the new film would be instead of what it actually was.
In a post-prequel world, everyone expected another Plinkett review tier Star Wars or something that wasn't Star Wars like those new Star Trek films aren't really Star Trek.
Instead they got: A Star Wars movie.

One that played on nostalgic strings, sure, if only to distance itself from the prequels and remind us why we fell in love with those movies in the first place. And, like with its more original motifs, it does that well enough not for it to just come off as wankery.
It's also a Star Wars picture, of course there are going to be references and shared things with the Original Trilogy. Hell, the prequels were way worse at this, having Anakin build C3PO and R2D2 be in the movie with no real thought given to how it connects to the OT, just because fan service. And remember the time Yoda meat Chewbacca, just because?
>>
>>63986034
You can find Coca-cola everywhere, but not the cucumber soda. Chances are that the indie theather/specialty store would not survive if Coca-cola came to town. What would actually happen though, if cucumber soda had its fanbase, was that Coca-cola would either buy the smaller company or steal its formula.
>>
>>63985883
Oh yea? And what are you gonna do about it? Post again? Go ahead. Hahahaha
>>
>>63984372
PLEASE STOP SPREADING THIS NONSENSE THAT "THE FORCE AWAKENS" IS NOT INTERESTING OR ORIGINAL
>>
>>63986380
That's not true at all. Even the shop rite I go to sells both the popular name brand juice like Ocean Spray and Tropicana AND the lesser known more expensive 100% natural stuff. I think there will always be a place for both.
>>
>>63985283
>One of my grievances is they left out my beloved Y-Wing. The Monsters
I see your Y and and my B Wing
>>
>>63985204
Hands-down, the best line in the entire franchise.
>>
>I WANT BLOCKBUSTERS TO BE LIKE ART FILMS
Go write some more articles supporting migrants, Vice
>>
>>63984372
>the same market logic that gave rise to the Marvel Universe films—a logic that rewards emulation and nostalgia above all; reusing ideas, characters, and narrative arcs that have already proven lucrative

>there have been Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy movies before, which made a lot of money
>>
>>63984508
Nigger, are you really going to tell me that The Empire Strikes Back did the same thing as Star Wars?
>>
>>63984523
Star Wars is cannibalizing itself, that's worse than merely stealing from Akira Kurosawa and numerous space opera.
>>
>>63987303
>not "it's treason, then"
>>
>>63987187
There will always be there, but it is more and more restricted. You are privileged to get those products, anon. Imagine instead, if every town, if every neighborhood had its own soft drink of some kind, out of local products. That isn't the case, though.
>>
>>63986120
>but there's also a lot of original shit going on, too.

Like what? Apart from Finn there is literally nothing original in this flick
>>
>>63987911
the first order is more diverse, the space nazis now allow aliens and niggers to join their ranks, that's something new.
>>
>>63984372
If it works, it works.

Why all the hatin'?
>>
>>63988076

why didn't they just get michael bay in then?
>>
“I do not care one whit for your revolution, girl. I am only in it for profit. Why so surprised? You knew I was a smuggler.” - Gone With The Wind

"Look, I ain’t in this for your revolution, and I’m not in it for you, Princess. I expect to be well paid. I’m in it for the money." -Empire Strikes Back

Stuff has been copied before in Star Wars movies, but I would say that usually if not always the stuff copied was at least by a slight majority not copied from other Star Wars movies.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Lucas-Inspirations-for-SW/id/14651
>>
>>63987871
Well look at beer. There's beers like Budweiser, coors, Heineken, and many other that aren't going anywhere. Those are the most popular that most people buy but there seems to ALWAYS be room for craft beers to to be made and sold in stores. They may not last long and go out of business in a few years but something else will just take its place. The point is there is always a place for them
>>
>>63988015
>Aliens
Who besides Snoke is shown as a non-human?
>>
>>63988861
i think something worth pointing out is that the OT may have copied from other source material but TFA simply copies the OT. Star Wars is no longer a collection of influences brought together from other works but merely a collection of influences from itself.
>>
>>63988015
that is not what original means
>>
>>63986952
>this
i liked this movie, the only gripe i have about it is that starkiller base is so unoriginal it hurts, like really a third death star?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.