[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone hate this movie so much? I just watched it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: the2d.jpg (70 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the2d.jpg
70 KB, 1024x768
Why does everyone hate this movie so much? I just watched it and loved it. What say /tv/?
>>
Was it the version where he goes back in time to when he was still in his mother's womb and strangles himself with the umbilical cord?
>>
I'm not a fan of that guy, but eh.. it was okay.
>>
>>63982616
This, the original ending makes the movie so much better.

Also weird as fuck because I had a random conversation with someone at work about this movie today.
>>
>>63982420
It was a good premise, but poorly executed.
>>
>prison scene where he makes the hand scars "appear"
>even though the logic of the movie so far would've meant that the prison buddy would've just said "you've had those scars ever since you got here"
>also that simple act doesn't completely change his life, even though it'd make his hands useless for weeks, would get him a shitload more time with a shrink, would likely result in all the other students treating him FAR more differently, etc

That one scene really took me out of the movie

Otherwise it was fine. 5/10. Nothing amazing but I wouldn't say it's shit, or even bad.
>>
>>63982733
>Also weird as fuck because I had a random conversation with someone at work about this movie today.

Have you ever noticed that whenever you learn a new word, you WILL hear it again within a week? Usually even in 24 hours.
>>
File: jdate john.jpg (106 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
jdate john.jpg
106 KB, 800x450
>>63982968
Are you familiar with the old human saying, "I want to shoot you so bad my dick's hard"?
>>
>>63983111
If you cut off a man's head with an axe, but the head breaks, so you replace the axehead, then use the axe to chop something else, then the handle breaks, so you replace the handle, then the guy who you decapitated comes back, sees the axe, then yells "THAT'S THE AXE THAT KILLED ME", is he right?
>>
Shibbyyyy
>>
>>63983299
I love that speech, but without the monster-dave plot, it doesn't make any sense in the context of the movie.
>>
>>63983607
Yeah, I wish the Shadow People were there too
>>
>>63982798

>loads of random shit can happen as a result of things that happened before
>good premise

don't think so mate.
>>
>>63983781
Don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie, but I wanted it all.
>>
>>63983299
If you change out one part of your PC a year, every year, until every part of your PC is not the same part as when you first got it, at which point did it become a "new" PC?

If the cells in your body die and get replaced, year after year, until at some point (is it about every 7 years or so?) every cell in your body is not the same one as when you were born, how can you say you're the same person?

If the neutrons and electrons that make you up had their configuration and arrangement stored, and were destroyed, the pattern saved, sent, and recreated somewhere else using local neutrons and electrons, would that still be you? Would it be a continuation of your consciousness after a blip of unconsciousness, or would it be an entirely new consciousness?

If new, would it be able to become aware that it was different on anything other than an intellectual, logical level, that the memories it was constructing from it's newly fabricated neural network were not original? ARE OUR MEMORIES, that we re-construct every time our brains want to recollect them REAL?

If not, that is to say if our consciousness resumes from where it left off after our physical self is meticulously re-assembled, what happens if that pattern is THEN used to create an exact copy of our body and brain from other neutrons and electrons? Do both entities then share a consciousness, or does each one have an entirely separate awareness? Whatever the answer, the implications for what we are are, what consciousness actually IS, are immense.
>>
>>63984586
>Ship of Theseus
Don't worry though, none of us are actually real. We're just a disney marketer on reddit that took some acid.
>>
>>63985010
Thanks for the interesting Google.

It was playing The Swapper, and watching some Star Trek episode that got me thinking about that stuff, but of course I should have known that this was a well-worn philosophical concept with it's own name and everything.
>>
>>63982733
>>63982616
Wait, what??
>>
>>63982925
Yeah i completely agree i had to pause and work it out to try and convince myself it made sense, didn't work. Overall i was trying really hard to enjoy it and think it made sense but it just feels full of plot holes that i cant believe got through on such a big project
>>
>>63986963
The studio made them change the ending to one that doesn't make you want to kill yourself, and undermines the entire movie as a result.
>>
>>63987080
What was the original ending?
>>
MOM MY DIARIES
>>
>>63987710
See the second post.

Instead of him just going back and never talking to her and everything turns out okay except he doesn't get to fuck that girl, he realizes that every change he makes just makes everything worse for everyone. He has one last picture left, one of his mother pregnant with him, he goes back in time. Wraps his umbilical cord around his neck, and commits suicide in utero.

It's a great payoff to some throwaway line earlier in the movie where his mother mentions she had been pregnant before him, but they were all still births. Implying that they all came to the same solution that Kutcher did.
>>
>>63987010
>>63982925
Maybe people will remember the "past" (i.e. before the changes) if they're touching the guy and concentrating on it?

I'm just making excuses though
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.