[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should Disney do with the prequels? Ignore them? Reboot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 8
File: EPIII_RotS_poster.png (3 MB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
EPIII_RotS_poster.png
3 MB, 1400x2100
What should Disney do with the prequels?
Ignore them?
Reboot them?
Retcon them?

I feel like their existence as they as is too big of a blemish in the Star Wars universe, but maybe it can be ignored over time with the many more movies that will come out.
>>
Redo all the CGI and rerelease them.
>>
Disney should accept that they are part of Star Wars and use their newfound pull with Star Wars fans to slowly rehabilitate their status from the ridiculous childhood-raping vitrol generated by the internet.
>>
>>63953704
>fix the only thing that wasn't a problem

Rebooting them is the only option.
Or rerelease them as part of the Legends series.
>>
>>63953730
>prequel apologists

Reboot could be best option. Ignore is a decent option, if a bit too safe. Reconning them could be fine, but a reboot would be much better.
>>
>>63953730
>I love eating shit! Why doesn't everyone else enjoy eating shit as much as I do? I'll bet the internet told them that shit tasted bad. There's literally no other explanation
>>
Leave them as they are. They're bad movies, but they set up a lot of great worldbuilding and lore that pays off in the two Clone Wars shows. It would be a mistake for Disney to ignore everything they added to the world.

Besides, this way Disney can always say 'at least it wasn't as bad as the prequels' when they eventually shit out a bad Star Wars.
>>
>>63953796
>pays off in the two Clone Wars shows

If the EU is the only thing they help, they should be part of the EU.
>>
>>63953675

Things that are never going to happen; the list.
>>
>>63953849
Clone Wars is canon though.
>>
>>63953763
>>63953790
Did I say they were good? No, I did not. In the grand scheme of things, however, the prequels are not in the bottom percentile of films. Remaking them would be petty and pedantic and I don't want to see Star Wars go backwards like that. New stories, new ideas.
>>
>le prequels are worse than hitler meme
*tips fedora*
>>
>>63953926
For major AAA motion pictures, they were very low on the list. Even the worst of modern capeshit was better.
>>
>>63953675
take all the greenscreen content and remake all the CGI. Also, they could easily remove JarJar from most scenes because he was full CGI.
>>
>>63953675
>we will not make a clone army
I liked this little nod.
The prequels can have tiny little nods, but that's it.
>>
>>63953675
Ignore it all unless there's something interesting from them that can be expanded upon. Don't explicitly retcon anything, just treat everything how it was in the OT.

Like midichlorians for instance, have no problem acknowledging they exist, but still treat the Force like a mystical thing and belief in it and its powers as a religion. If they must be explained then just say that they are merely drawn to people with higher force potential or maybe higher midichlorian counts just help people unlock their Force potential better.
>>
>2015
>still hating the prequels
>>
>>63953675
Retcon what was shit, lorewise (midichlorians, Naboo government and the dumb-as-shit way it elects royalty, etc.) and keep the good ideas.
>>
>>63953675
Say what you will about the prequels but at least they expanded the universe. New planets, new races, new creatures, new vehicles, a better understanding of the government and politics of the federation, the economy of the empire, etc.

There was pretty much nothing new in Awakens.

The movie was alright, I guess. JJ bunted it safely down the third base line.
>>
Re-release them with laugh tracks

>"I AM the senate'
>hehehahah
>"NOT YET"
>HAHAHAHHAHAHHA
>>
Well you KNOW Disney won't be done after episode 9. But depending on the success of Rogue One they could go that route. Say not tell the story of Anakin but other players of that time.

They deffanlty won't do a recon or remake of the the Prequels while Lucas is alive because that would be a royal fuck you to the guy who basically sold Disney a Golden Goose. It's bad enough that Episode VII all but ignored the prequels. That must give George some hurt feelings. While hes swimming in a near Scrooge McDuck size vault of cash.

It will be interesting what Disney does after IX
>>
>>63954231
Best idea.
>>
>>63954179
If all Lucas wanted to do was expand the universe he could've written a book and saved everyone the time and money.
>>
Go the Monet route and say they're ROUGHLY canon, but not exactly. Like, the general overarching storyline of the prequels is canon, but the specifics can be bent and blurred to fit whatever new narrative they're trying to craft.
>>
>>63954179
Yeah I don't think anyone can disagree that Disney and JJ played it safe with VII. But you really can't blame them. The prequels is a thorny issue.

There is some good in the prequels, the expanded universe, Obi Wan, and a bit more but the bad outweighed the good.

While I would not call it a bunt id call it a fat pitch that was hit for a double then a home run to just get someone on base.

I really don't have many quibbles with it. Its Star Wars and a mix of the old and new. It has potential. I like the new characters. And I kinda liked the idea of a planet made into a Death Star. I don't like the idea of BB-8 muscling in in R2-D2 and C-3PO's territory but I didnt hate BB-8 even though I wanted to

Im more interested to see what Rian Johnson does with it
>>
>>63953704
the movie were liteally ahead of their time and still look better than most everything out today

fuck off to reddit
>>
>>63954579
This is a well thought-out opinion I agree with 100%
>>
>>63954657

The environments look like shit and everyone looks like they're acting against a green screen... because they are.

Matte paintings looked better than the environments in the prequels.
>>
>>63954231

>The oppression of the Sith will never return!
>riotous laughter
>>
>>63953926
>In the grand scheme of things, however, the prequels are not in the bottom percentile of films.

When you compare the man hours, money, and talent that went into those films versus the final result, yes, they are some of the worst movies ever made.
>>
>>63954089

>Willingly eating shit.
>>
Simple. Remake them completely in the style of the Clone Wars show. Have the live action films made into Legends material and have the new animated series/movies cover the events to smooth out all off the plot holes and shit. Less money and more of a really good show
>>
>>63954579
>hates the prequels
>likes c3p0
get a load of this nostalgia goggles faggot
>let me tell you furry bear abbos a bedtime story
>>
Nothing?

They are fine.
>>
>>63953675
People need to get over this butthurt already. Disney made their decision about what is and isn't canon.

The prequels are canon.
Clone Wars is canon.
The Ventress novel is canon.
The Darth Maul comic is canon.
The Kanan comic is canon.
The new Obi-Wan and Anakin comic will be canon.
Rebels and all the novels that mention prequel era stuff are canon.
>>
>>63955040

C3PO is a good character.
>>
Who gives a shit about the prequels when they made based Starkiller non canon
>>
>>63953675
>people acting like the prequels are worse than the devil

They are fun movies and did world buliding alot better than the first movies, just look at all the clone wars stuff
>>
>>63954756
Thanks dude..a rare occurrence for me here lol

And another thing about the safe bet Disney made with Episode VII. There are still bigger gambles on the horizon. Rouge One and the other two films meant to tide us over till the next episodes come out. Rouge One MIGHT satisfy those who wanted more of the Star Wars universe. (But it takes place in between episodes 3 and 4) Then there is the Han Solo film after VIII done by the guys who did the Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street

Not to mention letting Rain Johnson write and direct VIII

The next films seem a lot more riskier to me. Although im expecting Rouge One to still be in the safe zone with some testing the borders
>>
Prequels are better than TFA. At least there is some semblance of a story in the prequels
>>
>>63955163

They're objectively not.
>>
>>63955163
Here is your reply. Now fuck off.
>>
>>63955163

I agree with you, and am not baiting, TFA doesn't feel like starwars to me at all.

It is literally last on my list out of the seven so far.
>>
The prequels were a brilliant exploration of the contradictions of the original trilogy.

>Look at the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars, really look at them, and try to see anything like a radically democratic revolution against tyranny. What is the class composition of these rebels? Of the ones we know, there’s one member of a hereditary royal family, one petty criminal, one former ruler of a privately owned city, and one adopted child of rural landowners (and, possibly, slaveholders) who is also the scion to an ancient religious order of aristocratic knights.

>At the start of A New Hope, we hear that the Alliance has growing support within the Imperial Senate, and Imperial Senates aren’t usually very fond of proper revolutionaries. Consider the Alliance’s tactics. Every time we meet the rebels, they have built themselves a base on some deserted planet, where they’re stockpiling heavy arms.

>As any good student of Mao knows, a revolutionary movement can only succeed if it wins the trust of the people; holding territory is a game played by the State, not those trying to overthrow it. We never see the rebels being sheltered from Stormtroopers by grateful peasants (while they do ally with the Ewoks, it’s with a fully colonial sense of entitlement); we never see Alliance propaganda being passed around in secret by the oppressed; we never see any indication that this armed faction has any kind of popular mandate whatsoever. It’s not just infantile bourgeois ultraleftism — Blanquism in space.
>>
>>63955163
>At least there is some semblance of a story in the prequels

Sure. A bunch of boring, emotionless assholes are duped by an incredibly obvious plot to take over the galaxy. Wow so great.
>>
>>63955182
>>63955219
You guys are obviously capeshit fans. You wouldn't understand.
>>
>>63953675
Disney doesn't care that a bunch of losers are sperging out about something that came out 16 years ago. They care about the new movies they'll make billions on. Their lives and childhoods don't revolve around movies about talking robots to the point that mere existence of something they don't like completely paralyzes their mental development in 1999 and forces them to bitch about it on a daily basis.

It's fucking weird, I know.
>>
>>63953675
i hope nothing honestly. Just leave theme there and move forward. Enough is enough
>>
>>63955262

>Prequels
>Brilliant

Why do you people continue to give these movies the benefit of the doubt? It is clear that no thought was put into them, evidenced by the overwhelming number of internal contradictions that break the films.
>>
>>63955182
>>63955219
TFA is garbage. Thsi and the prequels being shit are not mutually exclusive situations
>>
>>63955288

What does that even mean?
>>
>>63953675
They are not canon anymore since TFA follows the original trilogy's timeline not the prequels crap
>>
>>63955348
TFA is basically capeshit in space
>>
>>63955345
>Thsi and the prequels being shit are not mutually exclusive situations

It is when you say one is better than the other. Are you an idiot? Do you know how comparisons work?
>>
>>63954068
The clone wars was first mentioned in episode 4.
>>
>>63955363

I don't understand what capeshit means. Maybe if you spoke like a normal human being?
>>
>>63955400
Hello reddit! Try lurking before you post
>>
>>63955040
Hey now C-3PO is awesome. Although I was not a fan how he was used in the prequels as just comic relief when in IV and V he was central to the story. Esp in V. Still on the fence about how the Ewoks thought of him as a god in VI. Was very disappointed that he was not given anything to do in VII. But like the plot twist the C-3PO, R2-D2 and BB-8 are all pals.

Whats the deal with his red arm anyway.

And another thing I didn't loathe the prequels. There was a whole frikken bunch I didn't like but there were spots of great stuff to make me not hate them with every fiber of my being like most people do. If II or II are on ill watch them or the last part of I. You have to admit the lightsaber battles were spot on
>>
>>63955424

Cool, so you don't have anything thoughtful or important to say about anything at all. Understood.
>>
>>63955282
>boring
subjective
>emotionless
Isn't the point that they were duped because of their nature?
>incredibly obvious plot to take over the galaxy. Wow so great.
wow, such a cop out
>>63955329
>benefit of the doubt
it's more that it isn't as bad as the memes make it out to be
>internal contradictions
existed in the OT and now in TFA

Does anyone else notice the vitriol against the prequels growing more and more as the movie got more and more publicized? This board never liked the trilogies but it was never the mainstream hate you see on reddit
>>
>>63955354
prequels are canon retard
>OTfags
>>
>>63954917
>Its treason, then!
>queue 10s laugh track
>>
>>63953796
>Disney can always say 'at least it wasn't as bad as the prequels' when they eventually shit out a bad Star Wars.

Isn't that what they're doing right now with Force Awakens?
>>
>>63955377
do you know there is more than 1 person posting in these threads?
>>
>>63955520
"they" don't ever need to do that

the waves of normalfag retards and sjws will do that for them
>>
>>63955262
It only takes a fucking maoist to state the fucking obvious.

> It’s not just infantile bourgeois ultraleftism — Blanquism in space.

Really? You would think the line about the Imperial state or the fact that the Rebellion was started by Senators or Leia being an Imperial senator should have tipped them off about this or the fact Star Wars isn't a fucking class struggle. In their wretched language it would be a counter-revolution or a reactionary response.

The Empire would be what Communists would support since it was literally started to oppose the reactionary elements of society like the Jedi and the evil corporations.
>>
>>63955262

nice to see another Jacobin reader

but what you should have taken from that article (without Kriss' needless masturbatory descent into Heidegger) is that star wars is fucking terrible, inconsistent and appeals to those who don't give it a seconds thought

have a nice day
>>
>>63955585
it's not THAT bad, people just hold it up too much and then you get elitism from the OT and it feeds itelf

the prequels are basically an inside joke that everyone gets to be in on and beat to death
>>
>>63955482

No, it's not subjective. They're boring because none of the actors have any passion delivering the extremely clumsy dialogue. It is most definitely not subjective. Passionless acting makes dull characters.

>wow, such a cop out

How is that a cop out? If any character in that universe wasn't a fucking idiot they could have stopped Palpatine *easily*.

>Isn't the point that they were duped because of their nature?

?????????

>existed in the OT and now in TFA

Where?

>Does anyone else notice the vitriol against the prequels growing more and more as the movie got more and more publicized?

No. The prequels were always massively despised. That's why Disney very obviously made TFA not resemble or reference them in any fashion. What bubble world do you live in where you think people believed these films were good?
>>
>>63955511

>If you're not with me... then you're my enemy!
>whooping laughter, applause.
>>
>>63955547

>Admitting to having terrible reading comprehension.

Maybe don't post when you don't know what you're talking about then?
>>
embrace them. make a campy as fuck obiwan movie taking place between III and IV, complete with quigon force ghost
>>
>>63955637

Look, I enjoy the films but they don't stand up against any basic levels of consistency and continuity. Sci-fi needs to establish its rules then stick to them which star wars completely fails to do at every turn.

Had there even been an ideological strain to the actions of the empire/rebels then we could have had something interesting.

Fucking Jodorowsky, why didn't his Dune get made
>>
>>63953675
In the next decade they will be rebooting them.
And after that they will reboot the originals.
It's a great way to make noise and gain shekels.

Somewhere around 2030 they will also reboot TFA and the postmillenials will go apeshit.
>>
>>63955710

>Fucking Jodorowsky, why didn't his Dune get made

It was, by David Lynch. Sorry, but Jodorowsky's Dune would have been as bad or worse than Lynch's. Many of the elements Jodorowsky described made it into Lynch's film. He clearly had no intention of remaining faithful the work Herbert created and wanted to do his own self absorbed shit with it. I'm glad it wasn't made.
>>
am I the only one that thought the prequels weren't that bad? I enjoyed them all immensely, and they all built the world and lore.

The tone and depth were much better than TFA, it at least took us seriously as an audience.

Also they gave us this fight scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU#t=10s
>>
>>63953900
Yeah but actually, it would make much more sense for the clone to be the ennemy.
>>
>>63953991
Let tipping hat maymay
>>
>>63955688
Is english your native language? Do you possess an underdevelopped brain?

You were talking to 2 different people.

TFA was shit, so are your taste and your reading capabilities. It's ok. People with down syndrome can live in our society too. You'll be fine
>>
>>63955652
>it's not subjective
>they're boring
>no passion
>clumsy
subjective
>how is that a cop out
the entire prequels is about how it happens and you just say oh it's super easy and the jedi are just dumb. Honestly that whole plot was one of the few things the prequels did well.
>???????????????
what is the strict jedi code preventing them from doing whatever the fuck they want and stopping palpatine easily. They could have just killed the fucker if they didn't have a code
>existed in the OT and now in TFA
you'll viciously defend both regardless
>the prequels were always massively despised
no they weren't, they weren't until around when disney bought the franchise and they became mainstream. Even then, it was never the case on /tv/
>what bubble do you live in where you think people believed these films were good?
what bubble do you live in where I ever said or implied that?
>>
>>63955753

>Also they gave us this fight scene:

You mean a passionless, choreographed dance with no emotion whatsoever? Is that what you like? Bright lights flashing in front of you in place of a story?
>>
File: 1450170071078.png (247 KB, 267x412) Image search: [Google]
1450170071078.png
247 KB, 267x412
>people still acting like the prequels are terrible

I get that they weren't as good as they could have been and pale in comparison to the Original Trilogy, but the prequels are far from genuinely bad movies. They're certainly better than most half-assed attempts at sci-fi. The only sci-fi film I can think of that was better around the same time was the first Matrix, but I'd probably sooner watch the prequels again than rewatch that movie, and certainly sooner than the Matrix sequels.

The prequels had plenty of good ideas and concepts and some actors do stand out above others and pick up the slack for the weaker parts.

I love Star Wars, but I feel like some people take it way too seriously. The prequels are camp and I kinda like them that way. And they at least don't fall as much into the strict summer blockbuster formula. That's part of the reason why despite being a long time SW fan I don't really want to see The Force Awakens and am only going to go see it out of a sense of obligation to the franchise, everything I see or hear of it sounds more like it follows that Marvel/Disney formula applied to A New Hope's plot. Maybe it's better executed than the prequels, but I doubt I'll have as much fun.
>>
>>63955783

Maybe if you looked at the origin point of this conversation you'd understand that two things were directly being compared. Nothing more to say here.
>>
>>63955478
>im a strong independent redditor who dont need no board culture
>>
>>63955157
It'll be like the marvel movies, it doesen't matter who writes or directs them. Disney is extremely strict with the writing and directing so the director is basically just a hired gun. Disney movies could be written by an AI for all I know
>>
>>63955561
The fact that it's not about a class struggle was a weakness of the original trilogy. The lack of class struggle devalued the story of fighting against tyranny.

The prequels improve the original trilogy, because they acknowledge that the original movies are indeed flawed in this respect: the rebels are the heirs of the corrupt Republic.

The prequels also show, metaphorically, what happens AFTER the OT. The six movies are essentially cyclical: the Republic falls, is restored, and falls again. The reason this happens is because the "heroes" cannot address the fundamental inequality of the universe. There's always going to be an Anakin, whom the Jedi fail, and who will be seduced by the Dark Side. Anakin, mind you, was a slave whose mother died because she remained a slave. The Jedi and the Republic care more about protecting royals from unfair trade agreements than slavery.

These are not flaws of the movies, they are strengths.
>>
>>63955827
>board culture
Back to /v/, faggot.
>>
>>63955799
you are such a faggot
>>
>>63955868
>i know 4chan! ill name the one other board besides /b/ that i know of!
>>
>>63955799
I liked the contrast between Sith and Jedi. The difference in fighting styles between each character. Even how they wait for the force fields to disappear. These subtle details are lore building and awesome.
>>
>>63955799

>with no emotion whatsoever

This meme is really annoying and I have trouble believing that any of the people who repeat it genuinely believe it. There's plenty of emotion in The Phantom Menace duel. It doesn't need to be between a teenager and a guy he thinks killed his father who turns out to actually be his father to have emotion. And if anything, the ROTS duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan has much more emotion than the duel between Ben and Vader in A New Hope. If anything, A New Hope's duel is made a little better in the context of ROTS' fight, because both Ben and Vader are so much more detached from one another than they used to be that when they meet it's just like "Oh, it's YOU again. Fine, let's get this over with. We knew it was coming."
>>
>>63955908
he's posting on /tv/ you fucking autist
>>
>>63955797

>subjective

Nope.

>the entire prequels is about how it happens and you just say oh it's super easy and the jedi are just dumb. Honestly that whole plot was one of the few things the prequels did well

No, it fucking didn't, because everyone's a contradiction-ridden moron with no consistency whatsoever. The only consistent character is Palpatine, who is literally the *only* character in the *entire prequel trilogy* who has a long term goal that he is working toward.

>what is the strict jedi code preventing them from doing whatever the fuck they want and stopping palpatine easily. They could have just killed the fucker if they didn't have a code

They could have arrested him or exposed him or forced him out of office. The fact that you only think they could have killed him shows you have no understanding of nuance or how people actually interact in a living world. Hey, neither does George Lucas.

>you'll viciously defend both regardless
>backing out of defending your argument, like a twelve year old

>no they weren't, they weren't until around when disney bought the franchise and they became mainstream. Even then, it was never the case on /tv/

Yes they were. Only people on Internet forums defend them. People in the real world despise them. If people loved them then Disney would have obviously taken a different approach with TFA.

>what bubble do you live in where I ever said or implied that?

You literally are implying that? With the words you used?
>>
>>63954231

>FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL
>applause, whooping
>>
>>63955449
>Whats the deal with his red arm anyway.
>>
>>63955262

lol, this is autism.
>>
>>63953796
>when they eventually shit out a bad Star Wars.
too late
>>
>>63955929

It's not a meme, it's a fucking fact.
>>
>>63954994
>this is what TDAfags think
>>
>>63955936
>doesn't understand that i'm talking about boards besides this one
>>
>>63955938
>They could have arrested him or exposed him or forced him out of office

They tried this. Did you not watch the movie? The reason they fail is that they were blind fools who did not care for inequality like slavery, which led to Anakin coming under Sheev's sway.
>>
>>63955943
Its probably a nod to Lucas who was very proud of his storyline with C3-PO having been made of "junk" and having legs that don't match.

He went on and on about it in a documentary and commentary they made in the 90s when they re-released the original trilogy the first time.
>>
>>63955938
how can you tell another person whether they find a film boring you fucking moron, here's a shocker some people are different than the fucking pathetic bubble you live in
>>
>>63955977
>The reason they fail is that they were blind fools who did not care for inequality like slavery, which led to Anakin coming under Sheev's sway.

??????????????????????
>>
>>63955975
there's literally a list of boards on the bottom of this page as I post this. if you have enough brain cells to post on here I'm sure you can read the footer or header

it's 2015, 4chan isn't a secret cult, it's pretty well known. you aren't impressing anyone with your
>xD le Redditers dont know 4chan we are ANON xD
>>
People like the OP are the reason TFA was so terrible
>>
>>63956034
he's a fucking redditor, of course he's going to be insufferable euphoric waste of skin
>>
>>63953675
ignore
>>
>>63953675
Remake them and cut a ton of the pointless shit included them. If you cut out all the shit in those movies that have no impact on anything and lead nowhere then you could probably cut it all down to a single movie.
>>
>>63956034

I can tell it's boring because poorly written dialogue delivered by actors with no passion for the script is always boring. If you're entertained by it then you're entertained by things that are boring. Those movies are a drawn out, unexciting snooze fest. Kudos if you enjoy it I guess.
>>
>>63956053
know=/= know of

are you fucking 12?
>>
>>63956066
Agreed
>>
>>63956072

>Tribalistic mindset

lol
>>
>>63956053
>it's 2015 xD

jesus christ
>>
>>63955964

No matter how much you repeat it, it's doesn't suddenly become fact. Even the one on one between Maul and Obi-Wan had more emotion than Ben and Vader's duel in ANH. And I like the transition we see in Obi-Wan's character from someone who was willing to let his anger loose on Maul in Episode 1 after he saw Qui Gon killed (which in the EU almost prevented Obi-Wan from making him a Jedi Knight) to Episode 3 Obi-Wan where there's all this intense emotion in the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan to Episode 4 where there's almost this professionalism. In ANH, the fight is good not because it has more emotion than the PT but because it actually has less in a sense. Ben doesn't start weeping or scowling when he sees Vader for the first time in person after some twenty or thirty years, nor does Vader exhibit, as far as we can tell, any of the intense anger Anakin displays in three when he's literally trying to strangle or decapitate Obi-Wan with his own sword. Ben and Vader have long since shed their attachment to one another and as far as Ben is concerned, Anakin is dead and Vader is somebody he doesn't know or feel anything towards.

So the argument that the OT fights necessarily have more "emotional intensity" is quite wrong in that respect.
>>
>>63954237
That idiot should have kept merchandising rights so his family could be rich for a millennium.
No waifu will surpass bastilla
>>
>>63956110
>i am le enlightened

im getting baited arent i?
>>
>>63955797
>actors clearly don't give a shit when delivering lines that sound idiotic even to then
>subjective

This is the denial of the prequel apologist, everybody. Fucking idiots, every last one of them.
>>
So is /tv/ engaging in a massive trolling effort in defending the Prequels or are y'all actually that sad? I came here thinking you would know your shit, but it looks like you know as much about movies as /v/ does about video games.
>>
>>63955938
>nope
yup
>no consistency with the characters
they're walking tropes, all they are is consistent. unless you're referring to compromising of integrity for emotion, which isn't the same as being inconsistent
>only character who has a long term goal
anakin wants to be the most powerful jedi, obiwan wants to not fuck up anakin and thwart the sith, padme wants a life with anakin. regardless, why do they even need long term goals explicitly stated? it's not essential to story telling
>they could have arrested him
they tried when they were sure
>they could have exposed him
>or forced him out of office

the reason I repeat this three times is precisely because it is a theme that the jedi don't want to be oppressive, they want to let people govern themselves.
>The fact that you only think they could have killed him
never stated nor implied this was the only choice, I merely suggested an alternative
>backing out of defending your argument
no, i'd rather not introduce a whole new one when these replies take long enough, especially when you'll whiteknight however much it takes
>only people on internet forums defend them
and right now it's popular to hate the prequels, so I wonder why that is
>people in the real world
the real world, as opposed to the fake star wars opinions world
>if people loved them
I never implied people loved them you stupid shit, I've actually stated around 10 times in this thread alone that they aren't great
>you literally are implying that? with the words you used?
which ones? not hating is not the equivalent of liking something you daft cunt
>>
>>63955964
>you've already won
>k gonna go help luke now as a spoopy ghost
>more emotion than qui gon dying
>>
>>63956128
>which in the EU

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>63956145

I want you to understand what a massive retard you are. Somehow it entered your mind that I go to Reddit, even though I never said I do (I don't) then you started frothing at the mouth of this unconfirmed hypothesis that was wrong from the outset, and now you need your diaper changed.
>>
>>63956159
(You)
>>
>>63956159

You're under the impression people did not always feel that way? In order for a person to nitpick the prequels as much as people do, there is a large portion of people that still like them despite their flaws.

Just because the diehard otfags thought they were in like minded company doesn't take away from that.

Wait for a few more of the new ones to come out and if they do not improve, you'll see something really funny then.
>>
>>63953675
>Ignore them?
The only answer.

I don't like them, but going back and trying to retcon and rebooting them is never the answer.
>>
>>63956159
>So is /tv/ engaging in a massive trolling effort in defending the Prequels or are y'all actually that sad?

Everybody pretty much recognizes the prequels are flawed. The argument is which is a greater credit to the Star Wars legacy, prequels or TFA. Even some on this board who dislike the prequels or maybe like TFA have been saying that the prequels are better credits to Star Wars than TFA, which is just a cash grab by Disney using the same director who basically created a watered down Star Trek into a summer action flick.
>>
>>63956149
>obee juan in the OT literally hated his role

>all actors are equal
>all lines are equal
>throw the baby out with the bath water
ewoks. welp the entirety of the OT is garbage, thanks
>>
>>63956213
>Somehow it entered your mind that I go to Reddit, even though I never said I do

>implying you have to explicitly state you eat shit to smell it on your breath

definitely bait. ignore.
>>
>>63956159
>wait, the circlejerk isn't just a circlejerk
no, dissent exists on 4chan newfriend, and people have been defending them for years

newfriend
>>
>>63955835
>the director is basically just a hired gun
A LOT OF LOYALTY
>>
>>63956168
>they tried when they were sure

No, they privately confronted him in his office when he had the greatest advantage. They didn't try shit. They tried YOUR dumb idea, which was to immediately kill him without a trial.

>the reason I repeat this three times is precisely because it is a theme that the jedi don't want to be oppressive, they want to let people govern themselves.

Where is this ever said?

>no, i'd rather not introduce a whole new one when these replies take long enough, especially when you'll whiteknight however much it takes

Then you shouldn't have brought it up. Don't try to make a point if you can't defend it. You'll learn that in freshman English.

>and right now it's popular to hate the prequels

That has always been the norm. Only children and teenagers defend them. Adults should know better.
>>
TRUE OR FALSE

battlefield meme hatred->battlefront
prequel meme hatred->TFA

pretty sure a top jew made the call on both of these
>>
They should leave them be.

All the problems with the prequels come from shitty dialogue and technical issues, but the major events in them don't harm the overall universe in any way.

The clone wars are fine. Anakin's role in the universe is fine. Sheev's role in the universe is fine. If Boba Fett comes back, I don't think anything really needs to be changed about his backstory.

Even midi-chlorians are fine and I'll tell you why. Midi-chlorians are not the Force and were never intended to be. They were just the biological means for our bodies to react to the Force. They really only exist for two reasons:
>So Qui-Gon could tell just how strong the Force is in Anakin and transmit said data to Obi-Wan so he could witness it himself.
>To make the idea that Sheev created Anakin with the Force just a tad more plausible.

In this time, it doesn't seem like anyone still has any equipment for measuring midi-chlorians, so why not just leave midi-chlorians where they are.
>>
>>63956041
Have you watched the movies?

Anakin is a slave. The Jedi take him in because they want to indoctrinate him into their cult like they do to countless other children.

The Jedi don't care about slavery, so they don't free Shmi, who remains on Tatooine. She was eventually freed but still died because the Jedi simply did not care about her in the first place.

This causes Anakin to fall, because he wants to save Padme too, and he falls under Palpatine's influence. So when the Jedi try to arrest Palpatine, Anakin intervenes and stops Windu.
>>
>>63956212

>implying my reference to EU takes away anything from what I stated

The reason I mentioned the EU was because even the EU writers recognized that there was a certain greater emotional intensity to Obi-Wan and Darth Maul duel at the end. But the RLMfags just parrot the same shit over and over again without thinking for themselves.

Whether or not the fights are well choreographed in the PT, whether or not you feel you have reason to care about the characters, is a different argument, but I don't see how anyone can say there's no emotional intensity to any of the PT fights. Perhaps the emotional intensity is not up to ESB or ROTJ levels, but they are probably above the ANH duel, and there's nothing wrong with ANH's duel in its context.
>>
>>63956261

Except *literally* every actor is written exactly the same. The only character with any passion Palpatine. He's the only one. When literally every single character is a boring, emotionless asshole, it makes the film unwatchable. The Ewoks are a single element to one film. The characters in the prequels are integral to every film. You know that's a dishonest comparison you little shit.
>>
>>63953675
Remake them, which Disney will do. I have no doubt.

All they need to do is actually watch the OT before they write the fucking scripts to pick up any continuity issues. For instance: Qui Gon should not exist as a character - Obi was trained by Yoda. Also don't make Anakin Space Jesus, or an annoying kid when Obi Wan finds him.

That Belated Media geek on YouTube had a few solid ideas
>>
>>63956358

The EU doesn't save these movies. You can't just say, "Oh, this was explained better in the novelization." That's just making an excuse for shitty writing.
>>
>>63956374
>Obi was trained by Yoda

almost all Jedi are trained by Yoda.

>Also don't make Anakin Space Jesus

To be fair, whether Anakin was really the Chosen One is left somewhat ambiguous.
>>
>>63956307
>they privately confronted him
they were arresting him, where he was...
>when he had the greatest advantage
when they were almost 100% sure, and they would have killed him without anakin
>they didn't try shit
they did
>your dumb idea
they tried arresting him first, then he attacked so they tried killing him
>where was this ever said
in one of the council meetings, something about the jedi not meddling with the affairs of the senate or some shit
>then you shouldn't have brought it up
I didn't bring up that there were internal contradictions, you did, and you never specified those either lol
>freshman english
>point counterpoint learning
lol what?
>that was always been the norm
no it hasn't
>only children and teenagers defend them
teenagers love to hate the prequels and children aren't old enough to have formed an opinion on them
>adults should know better
"starwars is a serious film series for adults like me"

do you really not see how hilarious of a joke you are in insisting something is bad and corrupting your beloved piece of shitty sci fi.

jesus christ desu senpai
>>
>>63956327
this should have been the only reply in this worthless fucking thread
>>
Anti-cheese edits with redone CGI.
>>
>>63956421

Except that's not my argument at all, you autist. The point is that if even the EU writers recognize there's a greater emotional intensity to the last part of the TPM duel because Obi-Wan is clearly pissed off that his master died and is going for broke, why can't the RLMfags who just repeat this "no emotion" argument see that? Everybody else who isn't emotionally retarded can see it.
>>
Its been nearly a hundred years since the events of the prequels, most of it should fall to legend, and allow the new films to pick things from them that worked (SHEEV, Plageius, some aspects of the Jedi Council and Clone wars) while disregarding the stupid bull shit (midochlorians, mostly everything else).

Basically what >>63956327 said. The directing/writing and technical issues are the major problems with the prequels, but there are some neat ideas and world building that can be left untouched.

I mean shit by the time TFA starts jedis are legends, so its not like the new trilogy needs to address them at all. Its only if and when they do an Obi Wan or Boba Fett spin off do they need to actually consider it. It will probably be addressed in Rogue One since it take place between III and IV.
>>
>>63956370
That RLM bit was totally wrong though? The characters aren't boring emotionless assholes.

The problem with that whole argument is that it's misunderstanding why people don't sympathise with the good guys*: because they're not the good guys. Yes, they're monks and reserved aristocrats - and that's intentional. The reason there is not a Han Solo - type to ground things is because that would be a distraction. The "good guys" in the movies are indeed a bunch of assholes. That is the story.

*Which is honestly an odd complaint. I sympathise with other people, I don't need additional prodding to "care" about them.
>>
I liked Revenge of the Sith more than Episode 7. It had a lot of bad parts but there was so much good stuff in it. THE MUSIC. The child murder. Obi-Wan and Padme's reactions when they realize Anakin is a piece of shit. THE MUSIC. More Sheev/Ian McDiarmid screen time than any other installment. Double leg amputation. Vader's helmet being locked into place with a high pressure vaccuum squealing sound effect. THE MUSIC. Padme's funeral. The music during Padme's funeral. The music during Padme's funeral. Sheev wins. The end.
>>
File: 318.jpg (10 KB, 249x188) Image search: [Google]
318.jpg
10 KB, 249x188
>>63953675
how would you reboot them so they fit to OT?
pro tip: you cant, prequels are the best thing that hapenend to star wars
>>
>>63956327
>midi-chlorians
I still don't understand why people threw a shitfit over those

they barely even address them, they aren't important, and they're essentially just a plot device
>>
>>63956474
>The point is that if even the EU

Exactly. The EU writers were needed to convey what they movie failed to. Got it. That's what I said.
>>
>>63956483
>The characters aren't boring emotionless assholes.

How can I take you seriously when you say things this wrong?
>>
File: 1450544895831.gif (2 MB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1450544895831.gif
2 MB, 450x338
>>63956490
>The child murder

pic related

>Obi-Wan and Padme's reactions when they realize Anakin is a piece of shit.

While I really hate Portman's delivery in the movie, I always did think she was good at showing emotion with her face, so when you finally see it on her face that she realizes Anakin has gone insane, I always thought that stood out. The whole thing of Anakin becoming jealous of Obi-Wan stealing Padme away from him I thought was a good element that was woefully under explored.

But yeah, Revenge of the Sheev is the best prequel, even at its hilariously worse.
>>
>>63956483
You're missing the point of the argument, the characters are incredibly flat and boring, and that is not specific to Jedis but to every character in the films aside from the alien.

Its Lucas's poor directing and writing, on top of the actors having a difficult time with the green screen that lead to such terrible performances.
>>
>>63956517
Midi-chlorians made people mad because in general, Star Wars fans are either children or manchildren. Neither of which is going to be willing to listen to Qui-Gon's explanation after he used them to literally measure just how force-sensitive Anakin is.
>>
>>63956370
>every character is a boring emotionless asshole
>unironically regurgitating shit you hear
which main character is a boring emotionless asshole

the only ones I can think of are jedi council faggots, and that is literally the point of the character

>dishonest comparison
it would be if you're description of the characters was specific and not a grandiose disregard. I even addressed that your blanket regurgitated contrarian vomit doesn't apply universally

>"literally every actor is written the same"
>"you know that's a dishonest comparison you little shit"
wew lad
>>
>>63953675
Burn the film reels, dump the ashes in a concrete waste container at the bottom of the ocean, and have a priest from every known religion perform an exorcism over the site before nuking it from orbit.
>>
>>63956517
Its pointless and stupid. Like why even put that in, why take a mystical abstract concept that people really liked and boil it down to blood count and microorganisms. Its so incredibly misguided. Qui-Gon should have just sensed an incredible amount of force energy. Not take a blood sample and send it back for analysis what the fuck is that?
>>
>>63956593
>Its Lucas's poor directing and writing, on top of the actors having a difficult time with the green screen that lead to such terrible performances.

>tfw people think there's any sort of depth to the prequels and totally fail to consider that Lucas is a hack with no idea how to write an engaging script, and wants to do as little work as possible.
>>
>>63956553

And you're absolutely wrong. The EU writers added that bit in the graphic novelization because it's fucking there in the movie. You can literally see it on Obi-Wan's face and in the way he's fighting against Maul. I don't understand how anyone who can have basic human relationships of any kind wouldn't be able to feel the difference in how Obi-Wan is fighting Maul in the first half and how he's fighting Maul after Qui-Gon is killed. Literally anyone can tell Obi-Wan is pissed off and going at Maul with a vengeance, a vengeance that is surprisingly lacking in the New Hope duel between him and Darth Vader, but for some reason the OT always has "the greater emotional intensity."
>>
>>63956635
>which main character is a boring emotionless asshole

Literally all of them. Padme, Anakin, Obi Wan, Qui Gon, You name it.

I guess Jar Jar has some emotions!
>>
>>63956430
I suppose you could make the argument, it just seems very clear in Empire - 'the jedi master who instructed me', not 'the headmaster from Jedi Elementary'.
>>
>>63956477
>Its been nearly a hundred years since the events of the prequels
Technically, it's only been about 50 or 60 years. Still a long time though.
>>
>>63956577
>prequel defenders in the thread have stated why they aren't
>prequel haters are just insisting over and over again that their statement is true without examples
prequel haters confirms for less sentient than roger rogers
>>
>>63956612
it made people upset because it eliminated the mystery of the force. and it was totally unecessary
>>
>>63956662
No, Anakin was a whiney shit that murdered people and children. Obi Wan was an incredibly inconsistent character, from an emotional stand point. These are not good examples of characters. They are bad characters.

Everyone else, ESPECIALLY MACE WINDU, have about two different tones of voices. Its fucking abysmal.
>>
>>63956658

There is no difference in the fight after Qui Gon is killed. They just go back to doing ornate, clearly choreographed fighting with no visible passion.

In Return of the Jedi Luke just starts hammering away at Vader. Nothing ornate there, but his rage is plainly obvious. The fight in TFA is great, too. Kylo is clearly insane with rage and just hacking away like a madman.

Both of those fights are far better than any in the prequels because there is a very clear display of emotion.
>>
>>63956637
so just lost mysticism?

they don't create force powers though? I thought they were just measurements?

>send it back for analysis
didn't he just give it to his skeptical dickbag padawan?
>>
>>63956637
>why take a mystical abstract concept that people really liked and boil it down to blood count and microorganisms.

that isn't what they did though. Qui Gon makes a clear differentiation between the midi-chlorians and the Force itself, the midis are simply the means through which the Force communicates, they aren't the force itself and Lucas never intended them to be.

Also, in a lot of the Eastern spirituality that inspired elements of Star Wars lore, the boundary between the physical and the spiritual is much thinner than it is in the Western, largely Cartesian worldview.
>>
>>63956673
I'm still fairly unsure about the time line, I considered quite a bit of time passing since ep 1 and ep 6, as I always thought of Vader being at least in his fifities by the time Jedi ends (if going by his force ghost appearance), so adding 30 years to that would bribg it closer to 80 than say 60.

Of course I have no idea
>>
>>63955509
They aren't canon obviously or everyone would know about Order 66 and the day the Jedi order which stood for a thousand generations or a thousand years got genocided.

Instead no one knows about the Jedi.
>>
>>63956708
Jedi masters can be equated with monks. They aren't supposed to be bundles of emotions, especially those powerful Jedi who are on the Jedi counsel. Obi Wan was more emotional and at times inconsistent, because he wasn't as elevated as a Jedi council member. Relatively, he was still a new master, and had yet achieved complete mastery of the force and Jedi ways as someone like Yoda and Windu would have achieved.

Anakin was weaker in AotC but did a pretty good job in RoTS. Him murdering people and children was fantastic, it showed how psychotic he was becoming.
>>
>>63956718
it's almost as if you think can only fight someone with emotion by literally forgetting how to fight with any kind of technique

it's honestly not that hard to tell the difference m8
>>
>>63956781

>Explaining away sloppy elements by assuming they were intended.

I wish I could be this delusional.
>>
>>63956729
>>63956733

I'm just having a difficult time understanding why inventing this convoluted measurement of the force (which should be stresses, is something that shouldn't be measureable from a thematic standpoint) at all adds to the story in a meaningful, positive way.

It just seems so stupid, discussing how Anakins midi count is "higher than Yoda's whoa holy shit" as if taking what essentially is a physical manifestation of faith and courage in oneself now has limits and boundries. It seems like such a misunderstanding of what made the force interesting to people in the first place.
>>
>>63956662
how the fuck is anakin emotionless

of all the stupid fucking things anakin is and has been called

how the fuck could anybody think he is emotionless?

>rlm
oh now I remember

>padme
herschlag can't convey love, the character itself isn't new and has been done before, love lost, turned to evil, crying and all that
>the scene on mustafar
come on

>obi wan
shows plenty of emotion, especially when he is supposed to be an emotionless jedi. annoyed dickbag up till his master dies, mad at that. shows companionship to anakin, eventually love. sadness and despair later.

>qui gon
granted, but he's supposed to be a jedi robot. but you can have this one if you'd like

>jar jar (LOL MEMES)
annoying and a bad character but anything but boring and emotionless

>you name it
5/6 try some more
>>
>>63956789

No, the reality is that the screenwriters wanted to have a flashy scene that looked cool and did not, for an instant, care to think about the emotional state of the characters because they only wanted to write a cool scene.

That's it! It's a wrap. Stop making apology for this fucking horse slop and see it for what it obviously is: garbage.
>>
>>63956718
Luke was also an untrained Jedi, who was succumbing to the dark side. Palpatine yells something to the effect of "Good GOOD let your anger flow". He was fighting with the dark side, at that moment.

The jedi way is to remain calm and centered, like a monk, as Obi Wan did. Obi Wan was also a trained master, while Skywalker had nowhere near the amount of the Jedi training. It would make sense that they would behave differently in battle (with Luke being less jedi).

Kylo Ren was a joke. He didn't come off as Sith, but as an angsty teenager. I think this wasn't even unintentional, but it made for a terrible and lame villain. Hacking away with rage is the sign of an untrained sith, as he was. A trained sith would use the dark side and its wrath but still channel it with precision, like a Darth Maul or Sidious.
>>
>>63956718
>There is no difference in the fight after Qui Gon is killed. They just go back to doing ornate, clearly choreographed fighting with no visible passion.

Bullshit, either you're just desperately clinging to a pretense with nothing to back it up because you don't want to admit you're wrong, or you're such an autist that you can't recognize subtle changes in mood.

>In Return of the Jedi Luke just starts hammering away at Vader. Nothing ornate there, but his rage is plainly obvious.

Yes, you can, but I wasn't arguing that the TPM duel with Maul and Obi-Wan is more intense emotionally than ROTJ, but the difference in the way Obi-Wan comes at Maul and the expression of anger by Obi-Wan is plainly felt by anyone. The difference between Luke and Obi-Wan is that Luke is still relatively untrained and is LOSING control of his emotions which is pushing him to the darkside. That's not the point of the TPM duel with Kenobi/Maul. We see and feel that Obi-Wan is pissed off that Qui-Gon is dead, but he's not falling to complete rage because Obi-Wan has always had greater control over his emotions than Anakin or young Luke. That's why he's one of the greatest Jedi the galaxy ever knew, he doesn't lose himself to passion.

>The fight in TFA is great, too. Kylo is clearly insane with rage and just hacking away like a madman.

while doing unnecessary twirls while he's supposed to be severely injured by a bowcaster shot?
>>
>>63956718
it's almost like obi won didn't go to the darkside

it's almost like sith fight with emotion

are you people this retarded, is this the best you have?
>>
>>63953992
>Even the worst of modern capeshit was better.
No it's not. The difference is most capeshit isn't as easy to hate as the prequels because they're so void of content.
The prequels had a lot of original creative content. Some of it great, a lot of shit and therefore easy to hate. But a lot of being great.
If you watch the making of the prequels, you'll see how many people they had in the creative department, putting effort in for the alien and planet designs and more. You'll never see that much money spent on creativity again in any hollywood production ever.
The prequels had a lot of great things going on, I know it's a meme but still:
>every single frame has so much going on
Most capeshit has nothing but its superhero premise.
>>
>>63956862
For the third time, Jedi are supposed to be uninhibited by emotions, because they are essentially Buddhist monks. It is literally contradictory to the entire concept of a Jedi master for him to become emotional.
>>
>>63956875

It's almost like you're making an excuse for shitty writing by assuming it was intended.
>>
>>63956862
>no u

good talk
>>
>>63956781

The problem with that is that the movies aren't self aware of it all that often. Obi Wan in particular would have been a great character to explore someone dealing with his emotions, cobsidering he never completed training with Qui Gon, but its never addressed. Instead we see Anakin vying for power almost from the start of 2, and it only gets worst from there. We are never given the comradry we were suppose to between Obi and Annie.

And him killing kids was retarded. Obi speaks of Anakin with reverence in New Hope, and I have a hard time believing someone would be okay with their friend slaughtering all those children.
>>
>>63956763
sheev obviously wiped them from coruscant at the very least

half the senate died, all the important jedi died away from the temple, etc

it's as plausible as "it's true, all of it"
>>
>>63956902

So what? That means they fight like some video game ninja when they witness the death of their best friend? There is no difference in intensity, tone, or emotion after Qui Gon dies, absolutely none, because the fight was so choreographed that nothing could shine through.

Seriously fuck y'all. I cannot believe you defend this shit.
>>
>>63956826
>what made the force interesting
it's a new sci fi version of magic tied to feelings, which has been done plenty before lucas touched it

>convoluted
he explains it in one sentence and it isn't important
>adds to the story
lucas tried tied it to reality harder and it made obiwan stop being an asshole about anakin

it's really not important enough to do what you seem to want it to have done
>>
>>63956921
it is intended. Before they tossed the EU (the prequels were written with the EU mind you), they go into great detail regarding specific fighting schools of Jedi and Sith. Their mannerisms. The biggest distinction between the two and the seven schools (I think) is that Jedi schools champion calm and centeredness, while Sith schools channel negative emotion.
>>
>>63956826
>I'm just having a difficult time understanding why inventing this convoluted measurement of the force (which should be stresses, is something that shouldn't be measureable from a thematic standpoint) at all adds to the story in a meaningful, positive way.
>It just seems so stupid, discussing how Anakins midi count is "higher than Yoda's whoa holy shit" as if taking what essentially is a physical manifestation of faith and courage in oneself now has limits and boundries. It seems like such a misunderstanding of what made the force interesting to people in the first place.

The problem is that the Force is very analogous to ideas we ourselves have in our own traditions and religions. The Force is almost like "the breath of God" a kind of miraculous energy that binds everything together and which emanates from all living things. But if we can say that The Force is "real" even in our own world, how do we explain why we aren't able to tap into the Force so easily?

Lucas' midi-chlorians at least offer an explanation for why we ourselves do not seem able to tap into the Force more directly and become Jedi/Sith.

The Force was never really even treated as the "manifestation of faith and courage" it was only ever described as an energy field, a kind of impersonal, supernatural sea of energy. Your emotions simply determined the shapes in which it took. This was always part of Star Wars lore, but it was never really explained what gave a an unenlightened piss any like Luke the power to work the miraculous powers that seem to be the exclusive areas of the greatest Abrahamic prophets and Buddhist and Taoist sages in our world.
>>
>>63956929
he talked about him hunting down and killing everyone he knew and loved, and you think the only think separating him from remembering him fondly and thinking of him as a monster was a couple of kids? that's a weirdly arbitrary line to draw
>>
>>63956902
There is no excuse for boring, passionless characters. If this were the intention, then Anakin and Padme should have picked up the slack in terms of personality and characterization. They are just as flat in their own ways though. Anakin just wants to be more powerful, than in 3 wants to stop his wife from dying, thats it.

Hell why are Jedis even suppose to be like Buddhist monks anyway? I always thought Obi Wan was the way he was in a New Hope because he was older and wiser and being played by Alec Guiness. But Yoda in Empire was fun, laughing and often times playful, hardly emotionless.
>>
>>63956929
I can agree with this. But I do think that his incompetence is shown by his inability to properly handle Anakin, as you stated. He wasn't a true master like the rest, and he was unprepared to deal with Anakin until it was too late.
>>
>>63956973
just because your autism renders you incapable of recognizing emotional changes that arent super obvious like happy to angry doesnt mean that obi-wan didnt experience an emotional change
>>
>>63956921
great retort senpai, you didn't even read your post did you, it just came out just like you heard it in some shitty youtube video didn't it?
>>
>>63956993

Sith lose themselves to passion to obtain what they feel is greater strength and freedom.

Being a Jedi is all about controlling one's passions so they don't control you, so that one acts sensibly for the greater good.

Anakin in AOTC goes into this briefly when Padme asks if Jedi are allowed to love.

"Attachment is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life."
>>
>>63956993

If you refence the EU to defend the films your argument is immediately invalidated. You can't use a universe most people aren't familiar with to prop up shitty writing in a film most people DID see. The EU is totally inconsequential, and had better fucking believe George didn't consult ONE WORD of it before starting the prequels.

>the prequels were written with the EU mind you

Are you forgetting how the prequels totally retconned Boba Fett's backstory? It's almost like no one cared about the fucking EU.
>>
>>63956973
He fights much more aggressively. And yes, it actually does mean that there might be some overlap between him and a a "video ninja". Considering video game ninjas are loosely based on samurai culture, which was profoundly influenced by Buddhism.
>>
>>63957027
>thats it
good lord who are you fooling

everyone here is autistic enough to argue about star wars and you're seriously trying to assert that

fuck off
>>
>>63957027
If you don't know of the profound influence of Eastern Asian culture on Star Wars, I don't even know why I'm having this discussion with you.

They are like Buddhist monks, because that's what George Lucas decided. Take that up with him.

>Yoda in Empire was fun, laughing and often times playful, hardly emotionless.
Chinese Buddhism

>I always thought Obi Wan was the way he was in a New Hope
Zen Buddhism

These characters were written in mind with these ideas.
>>
>>63957055
it's pretty fucking blatantly obvious to any fan, except you, that the sith are about emotion and the jedi are not

at the very least that's what the order says and thats what the little green faggot says via the transitive property
>>
>>63957029
Thats how I interrupted it too. It at least helps characterizes Obi Wan better in my mind considering his actions.

>>63957002
Not really, since there would at least be motivation behind killing peers and other jedi and friends who are adults, but him murdering children seemed needlessly violent for something like Obi Wan to over look.

I mena in ROTS he seems genuinely horrified by Annie killing the younglings, as funny as that scene is.

>>63956991
Well people obviously connected with Lucas's original approach, regardless of it being done before. It being a single throw away line makes it all the more baffling, as it could have not been there at all. I don't understand why the force needs to be tied harder to realism in Star Wars of a things.
>>
>>63957055
>If you refence the EU to defend the films your argument is immediately invalidated.

The problem with your argument here is that you're forgetting that the EU draw directly from the well of Lucas' ideas. The Sith and their commitment to passion in order to gain strength and power is present both in the EU and the prequels. You don't need to consult the EU to understand the basic differences between the Sith and the Jedi or see the difference in the way they fight. That's why many people like Maul and the Jedi fight still, because you can see and feel the differences between the light and dark as represented by each character.

>The EU is totally inconsequential, and had better fucking believe George didn't consult ONE WORD of it before starting the prequels.

While George never bound himself to the EU, he did have a certain respect for it. Coruscant is taken directly from the EU and was created by Timothy Zahn. George also included some EU characters and things in the prequels as a nod to the people who worked on the EU. And George himself had a (bad) habit of depending on the EU to explain certain holes in the prequels. Unlike the OT, the prequels were created with the EU somewhat in mind, which is why they are less a stand alone trilogy as the OT.
>>
>>63957055
Some EU was tossed or never used in a movie, other aspects were not, like the most fundamental aspects of being a Jedi vs a Sith.

You are comparing the exclusion of the backstory of one character with the backstory to the concept (Good vs. evil and how they behave) that drives the entire star wars universe. They didn't exclude this.
>>
>>63957164
>I don't understandwhy
well, I've given the two reasons

again, even granting it's retarded, it's still not a big deal. I hear about this fucking almost as much as "poetry"
>>
>>63957101
I don't understand what you mean. I said thats in in a more of a literal sense, not as a means of shutting down discussion.

Though I really don't know how much more there is to Anakin.

>>63957135
You're moving goal posts. So some characters are more interesting than others because of Lucas's fascination (and what appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding) of different buddist cultures? Thats all well and good but having a reason for boring passionless characters doesnt make them any less boring or passionless.
>>
>>63957253
I was never discussing whether the characters were interesting or uninteresting, that's a matter of opinion. You didn't like them, I did.

We were discussing the reason for their emotionlessness. I explained that to you. It wasn't poor script writing, Jedi aren't supposed to be emotional. How well that was executed, is opinion.
>>
>>63957229

Yeah, I mean I know we've been back and forth on this but honestly I only really like a New Hope and Empire (and now TFA) I'm not a huge star wars fan and I always liked the space dog fight shit than the force anyway. I just couldn't wrap my head around why including something like that since it is needlessly retarded. I don't think its all that big a deal though
>>
>>63957253
>anakin
leaving his mother
his mother in slavery
impatience with the jedi council
his mother dying->leading to not wanting that to happen again with padme
love with padme
jealousy with obiwan
rage with obiwan, the sandniggers
friendship, camaraderie with obiwan
deteriorating relationship with obiwan
temptation from sheev

he's literally paradise lost:the character and the dialogue is why people hate him

I say people because you're just a drone without a real opinion
>>
>>63957361
i like you
>>
>>63953675
Considering g the giant turd called The Force Awakens they just what on the Star Wars universe the prequels are the last thing they should worry about
>>
>>63957361

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Anakin's overall character arc. It's just Lucas tend to suck at fucking dialogue and even he admits he sucks at it.
>>
>>>63957253

>>anakin
>leaving his mother
Why didn't he go back for her? This seems like something that could have been avoided but regardless this only becomes an issue after she is dead.

>his mother in slavery
Again, I dont understand why Yoda didn't pull strings to get her out from Wado, its stupid but whatever conveniently she stays a slave to one tiny alien junker.

>impatience with the jedi council
Because he wants more power

>his mother dying
>leading to not wanting that to happen again with padme
Wow such incredibly deep characterization. Because before his mother died he couldn't give a shit if Padme died right?

>love with padme
Truly the greatest love story ever told, with about as much nuance as a 4th grader's love letter

>jealousy with obiwan
Why? Is it because more powerful? What is he jealous of?

>rage with obiwan, the sandniggers
Sandniggers I get but why with ObiWan? Does this have something to do with his thirst for power?

>friendship, camaraderie with obiwan
When? A few quips and then they spend the rest of the triology annoyed at one another.

>deteriorating relationship with obiwan
What a fucking long way the fell as friends right???

>temptation from sheev
The only thing that works about his arc.

>he's literally paradise lost:the character and the dialogue is why people hate him
Among other reasons and to say otherwise is being willfully ignorant.

>I say people because you're just a drone without a real opinion
Says the kid defending a poorly written character from a series of fairly bad movies.
>>
>>63955799
I hate people who just parrot Mr. Plinkett.
>>
>>63956898
>every single frame has so much going on
How the fuck was that a good thing, nearly every frame was a painful mess.
>>
>>63956159
It's Godzilla all over again. Where people were saying the 1998 movie was really good and the 2014 movie is shit because
>le board culture
>>
>>63957656
>People just copy Plinkett meme
Plinkett is a result of the Star Wars hate and criticism, they just put into easily quotable descriptions.
Most of which are correct.
>>
>>63957523
>Why didn't he go back for her?

The Jedi Order required him to shed all attachment to her.

>Again, I dont understand why Yoda didn't pull strings to get her out from Wado, its stupid but whatever conveniently she stays a slave to one tiny alien junker.

This is the whole reason they take children when they're younger than Anakin was in TPM, so that their only "family" is the Jedi Order and can act solely in the interests of the greater good of the Republic. Shmi isn't even within Republic space.

>Because he wants more power

No, he wanted to be recognized. He is upset with Obi-Wan because he feels like Obi-Wan holds him back. I always thought this was an interesting aspect of Anakin's relationship with the Jedi. He's the Chosen One, but Obi-Wan and his other masters keep preventing him from taking on that helm.

>Because before his mother died he couldn't give a shit if Padme died right?

Anakin had a dream that his mother was being tortured and was in pain and then he found her in such a state. He had a vision of Padme dying and begging Anakin to help her and because the last time he had such a vision, it was true, he decided he wouldn't fail this time. Again, this is why the Jedi tend to forbid such strong attachments.

>Truly the greatest love story ever told, with about as much nuance as a 4th grader's love letter

Anon, wasnt commenting on the quality of the love scenes' execution.

>Why? Is it because more powerful? What is he jealous of?

In episode 2, Anakin believes Obi-Wan is holding him back when he knows he's ready and he thinks it's cause Obi-Wan is jealous of him. In Episode 3, tying into Anakin's fear of losing Padme and Obi-Wan's siding with the Jedi Council against him and Sheev, Anakin becomes more suspicious of Obi-Wan's intentions and even starts to think Padme and Obi-Wan are plotting against him or somehow in cahoots.
>>
>>63957656
He's right though. Mike Stoklasa (aka Mr Plinkett) utterly BTFO George Lucas and all prequel lovers for all time. That review is definitive, it's the end of all discussion.
>>
>>63957523

>When? A few quips and then they spend the rest of the triology annoyed at one another.

Except they don't? Other than a couple arguments and Anakin losing his temper after losing his mother in Episode 2, most of their scenes together up until Anakin's actual fall are quite friendly, especially in the beginning and middling portions of Episode 3. The thing is people expect them to be just "buddy cops" when really, Obi-Wan is more like a father figure to Anakin than anything, reprimanding him and consoling him in even portions. And I think this works and helps make it seem more realistic when Anakin just straight up tries to murder Obi-Wan in the way that a kid who might otherwise at most times love his father allows that part of him that always resented his father reprimanding him to get the better of him.
>>
>>63957851
>He's right though.

He's not. He's a douche with a youtube account who got lucky enough that enough other autistic youtubers and redditors who can't think for themselves just use his opinions as a crutch without ever bothering to question them.
>>
>>63957851
>i don't come up with my own opinions
>>
>>63957823
I'll give you the mom, since that falls perfectly in line with how they set up the jedi academy. Although I'm not sure they couldn't at the very least gotten her out if slavery, but I guess its a moot point.

As far as being recognized as the chosen one I don't see how that is much of a difference between being recognized as the most powerful and being the most powerful. And it isn't like its something that slowly crops up, as he's written like a bad egg from the start of 2 on.

As far as the jralous angle comes in, it all seems to circle back to Anakin and his quest for more power. There are aspects to this but it seems to all steam from the same desire, he even says as much throughout 2.

>>63957867
I think people remember the arguments between the two because its the only instances the characters show aby real emotion between one another. Otherwise its sort of a flat uninvolving relationship. We should be heartbroken when Anakin and ObiWan fight, but I don't think that ending confrontation illicits such emotion.

And I dont know about buddy cops, but there should have been a more profound friendship between the two, considering the characters and their implied relationship in the later movies. Anakin reacting like a child over misunderstandings and being fairly easily seduced by the dark side diminishes what they were trying to do with the character IMO.

I think the biggest mistake was making Anakin that much younger than ObiWan when they really should have been closer in age. More of a peer relationship than mentor, student one. That's just me though
>>
File: can't_refute_it_face.jpg (74 KB, 376x471) Image search: [Google]
can't_refute_it_face.jpg
74 KB, 376x471
>mfw not a single EU/Prequel fanboy cuck has ever successfully refuted the Plinkett reviews, especially The Phantom Menace.
>>
File: 1450724536551.gif (77 KB, 774x690) Image search: [Google]
1450724536551.gif
77 KB, 774x690
>>63958297
feelsgood
>>
>>63958198

I think the Expanded Universe, some of which was produced or at least approved by Lucas, handled many of these aspects well, but I will concede that more of Anakin and Obi-Wan having camaraderie should have been in the film. And while I admit that Anakin's ultimate desire was for more power, even just the prequels did a good job of adding nuance to it. there's nothing wrong with Anakin's quest for power being his main reason for falling narratively speaking, it's a classic way in which heroes often fall from grace.

But the way I see it there were always meant to be three aspects to Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship:

1. Obi-Wan as a reprimanding father figure
2. Obi-Wan as an encouraging and protective father figure
3. Obi-Wan as a comrade and "brother"

I think the prequels did a very good job with the first but skimped out on the third until the last film, which by then it felt like Lucas was adding it at the last minute cause he forgot to add it in two. Two did a lot of damage by focusing on a point where Anakin is likely to resent Obi-Wan's paternalistic attitude, and for three years, unless you were an expanded universe fag, that was all you had of their relationship and it sent the message that Obi-Wan may be kind of bullshitting when he calls Anakin a "good friend" hence the meme.

So I'm not saying the prequels couldn't have seriously used some improvement here, but I never got the sense that they weren't friends, especially not after watching Episode 3 where you can definitely tell Lucas is aware of the criticisms of the first two films not just in Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship but in many other ways as well.
>>
>>63958297

don't you mean yfw you just blissfully ignore anyone's argument that contradicts what Plinkett tells you to think?

The "emotionless fights" shit has already been disproven over and over again.
>>
>>63958329
>liking redditlettermedia
>frogposting

it's like poetry, it rhymes
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-21-21-19-12.png (237 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-21-21-19-12.png
237 KB, 1080x1920
>>63953675
Fuck off.

The prequels (besides III which is legitimately a decent movie) do the things they did well WELL enough to want them to stay as part of the story. The atmosphere. World building. The wars. Some of the characters. That was all good. It's the dialogue that sucked the most.

At least they added a lot of NEW material for the universe.

VII is the most blatant fucking copy of IV. I can't believe people are bending over for Jew Jew's dick like they are.
>>
>>63958297
it was refuted at least 5 times in this thread, using actually discussion and not le meme face shitposting like yourself
>>
>wanting sheev's diabolical insidious masterplan of orchestrating a galactic war to be decanonized

fuck off basic fags
>>
>>63953675

retcon
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.