[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come everyone jerks off to movie directors but no one even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: plisken2.jpg (27 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
plisken2.jpg
27 KB, 375x360
How come everyone jerks off to movie directors but no one even mentions TV directors?
>>
>>63927151
back to reddit.
>>
>>
>>63927151
Because film directors are like the captain of the ship, TV directors are more like the deckhand
>>
tv directors are only notable when they become filmmakers
>>
TV isn't really directed or edited well, by and large. Obviously some exceptions exist, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, True Detective Season 1, but usually this isn't the case. TV is about story, kind of, but really it's just one of the most plentiful and indulgent forms of media. You're not really supposed to pay much attention to it, just leave it on in the background while you finger fuck, or snort drugs, or whatever Netflix and Chill means, cause I don't know cause I'm very lonely. Good day sir.
>>
>>63927395
He's not even a TV director. He made one season of one show (almost unheard of) and will likely never do it again. People jerk off to him because he's not like 99% of directors doing television.
>>
I think the deal with American TV is that writers are the kings and everything else is usually irrelevant.

Something I noticed when I used to watch quite a lot of Japanese dramas is that you would always notice when something was directed by a movie director. It just looked noticeably better, and when you went to check the credits sure enough it's some movie guy.
>>
people jerk off to showrunners as they're the creative force behind shows, while tv directors are on rotation and do generic work on purpose so changes wont be jarring

having said that, i think hbo stable directors like tim van patten or jeremy podeswa are excellent
>>
File: 1817-5775.jpg (6 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1817-5775.jpg
6 KB, 320x240
>>63927151
There are many faggots jerking off to JOSS and JJ.
>>
>>63927151
Because 90% of TV is forgettable shit and the memorable ones are not memorable because of the director.
>>
Most of them are hacks using the medium as jumping point to big boys film.
>>
>>63927732
What Japanese dramas did you watch, MPD psycho?
>>
>>63927992
One I remember is a short film that was part of an omnibus series. It was directed by Michael Arias who directed Tekkonkinkreet. I'm sure I've had one or two similar cases, but I can't remember what. Then there's been shows that I knew in advance had been made by movie directors, like Atami no Sousakan (Satoshi Miki) and Going My Home (Hirokazu Koreeda). SPEC ~ First Blood was directed by Yukihiko Tsutsumi among other people and he was probably the chief director or something.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.