[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is not Star Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: 1-JJKathy-NO-LOGO.jpg (136 KB, 2400x1200) Image search: [Google]
1-JJKathy-NO-LOGO.jpg
136 KB, 2400x1200
I don't know what this is but this didn't feel like Star Wars too me brothers.

I know the feeling very well, i was 12 years old when i watched the OT for the first time, and 16 when i watched the prequels , who for all their many failing, felt like Star Wars.

I didnt went from the OT to the PT saying WTF, i was aware that the prequels were kinda all over the place, but after seeing this thing yesterday and collecting myself, this ain't StarWars . Its this feeling, i keep having when thinking about it, sure it is a VERY competent movie, some really cool stuff, but this is not Star Wars in my opinion.
>>
>>63918872
>the prequels , who for all their many failing, felt like Star Wars.

Yeah because the original trilogy was all about excessive exposition, boring trade negotiations, and making the force microscopic bacteria in your bloodstream?

TFA is more like the original trilogy and what Star Wars SHOULD be about than the prequels
>>
Except it is not, i marathoned the OT specifically before going to see it on the big screen, and it was Jarring.

Im (i mean i was) a pretty Trek Buff, and this is the EXACT same feelings i had after the 09 Trek Reebot, it was a good space romp but it was not Star Trek.

Mind you i was not a picky Trek fan, i loved pretty much all of it, from the OG trek to Enterprise, they had that Trek charm.

But the movie left me hallow, just like this one.
>>
>>63918872
You're gonna have a hard time in here pal, pretending to like TFA atm is the meme

It's only because there are tons of people that hate prequels SO MUCH that anything that's not PT now automatically gets a pass.

While instead TFA is shit, like the prequels
>>
>>63919315

I think its worse than them, honestly, they felt like Star Wars films for all the retarded shit in them, but this one is literally killing Star Wars and everybody is happy cuz they are better than the PT, seems tragic to me.
>>
File: 1441789910945.jpg (19 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1441789910945.jpg
19 KB, 251x242
>lucas tries to do something original with the prequels
"Waaaaahhhh These arent the movies I grew up with"

>force awakens is literally a nostalgia movie packed with everything you grew up with
"Waaaaahhhh It didnt feel like a star wars movie"
>>
>>63918872

That's because of the terrible editing and pacing of TFA.

Otherwise it's pretty Star Wars.

The fact that it is a complete clone of A New Hope doesnt help either.
>>
>>63919395
It's got a Disney and JJ Abrams feel to it, that's why.
>>
>>63919412
Goes to show you hardcore fans of generation-spanning franchises will never be happy.

History will show that this is the new ranking of all seven movies:

V>IV>VII>VI>III>I>II
>>
>>63919315
People disagreeing with you does not mean they're pretending.
>>
>>63919490
Flip 6 and 7 and you're correct.
>>
File: 138(1).png (13 KB, 530x492) Image search: [Google]
138(1).png
13 KB, 530x492
>>63919395
Oh yes, this is definitely 'killing Star Wars'...
>>
>>63919490
>if i say it enough times it'll be true

Accept the fact that there are people that didn't like TFA for valid reasons.

Disney don't care, JJ don't care, normies don't care. Why do you?
>>
>>63919490

V>IV>VII>VI>III=I>II*
>>
>>63919551
There are valid criticisms, then there is /tv/ calling everyone who doesn't absolutely hate the movie stupid or a child or an SJW.
>>
>>63918872
It's a paint by the numbers movie. It seems like it was made by someone who wanted it to look like Star Wars. It didn't feel like Star Wars though.
>>
While being a decent enough movie it didn't have the same magic or chemistry between the major characters that OT had. ANH was a much better self contained film, compared to this sequel they tried to fit a shitload more in and you ended up with insane character progression with people doing things out of nowhere. There was just a lot of stupid shit in their too like Han suddenly being impressed with Chewbacca's bowcaster as if he hadn't seen it used a million times before.
>>
>it didn't feel like Star Wars
Is this the hot new meme
>>
good for you

dont watch the next one
>>
>>63919490
For all its faults Jedi still had all the classic characters in their prime finishing the story in style. TFA doesn't come close to that imo.
>>
>>63919858
>It didn't feel like Star Wars though.
fuck off you aspie manchild
>>
>>63919153
>Im (i mean i was) a pretty Trek Buff, and this is the EXACT same feelings i had after the 09 Trek Reebot, it was a good space romp but it was not Star Trek.

Besides arguing whether TFA is true star wars or nor, you cannot really claim that it is as far removed from the source-material as Star Trek 09 was.
Heck, TFA is closer to the source material than the prequels were.
>>
>>63920144

I agree with you on this, the man kept it together better in this one compared to the Trek movie, but this one still suffers from the same underlying flaw in that one.

I don't know man, maybe JJ isn't the right guy to helm such a franchise, the man makes fun flicks, but they are all shallow, they leave you empty, you forget them once your out of the theather, this happening to Star Wars is pretty saddening to me, and i hope im not the only one.
>>
>>63918872
iktf. It's like this could be another episode of Pirates of the Caribbean, Marvel universe or literally anything else.
George's little fails is what made Star Wars. This one movie is too well designed. It has no soul.
>>
>>63920144

The prequels weren't meant to be a rehash though and the worst thing I felt was at times it felt like a star trek knockoff and not starwars at all.

The cantina scene was the worse, and the force vision shit I could let go if only.

"I'm in charge, I'm in charge, Captain Phasma"

Finn is literally "I'm the captain now" the character.
>>
This is reddit, this is memes
>>
>>63918872
the feeling is george senpai
>>
>>63919412
>force awakens is literally a nostalgia movie packed with everything you grew up with

This is the problem faggot. The movie felt like a soulless cash in.
>>
>>63920390
>movie has more soul than the last three star wars movies combined
>hurr durr The movie felt like a soulless cash in

fuck off retard
>>
I still remeber the coruscant chase scene from ATOC, can barelly remember shit from TFA besides the most dramatic ones... aka Hans cheap death and acting.
>>
>>63918872
Star Wars died at some point in the 90's.
>>
>>63919412
But force awakens has almost nothing from the originals, it has cheap knockoff chinese versions of stuff from the originals.
>>
>>63920529
>movie has more soul than the last three star wars movies combined
could not literally be more wrong
>>
>>63920657
go back and watch the originals
they arent that great
>>
>>63920657
Its a JJ knockoff.

This is as close to taking a fucking talentless fanboy and putting in charge of making star wars as you can get.

The man makes by the numbers movies, i thought he would do something special with this one, cuz he was such a self confessed SW geek, but nah, same shit.
>>
File: 52956819.jpg (129 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
52956819.jpg
129 KB, 500x372
>>63920692
>>
>>63920708
good job addressing my point
>>
>>63920529
>Movie literally copy/pastes plot from older movie
>Characters become attached in the span of two minutes
>Wow! This is the best Star Wars movie ever made!
>>
I just came from watching this and honestly my only real complaint is the girl kicking Kylo's ass at every turn. Also I'm pretty sure there's an "epic" plot twist coming and she's a Solo or a Skywalker
>>
>>63920848

You didn't pay attention if that is your only complaint.
>>
File: Jango_OP.jpg (260 KB, 1024x1450) Image search: [Google]
Jango_OP.jpg
260 KB, 1024x1450
Jango had more charisma than any TFA char.
Truth.

Anyone who says otherwise gonna get a sonic detcharge up their arse .
>>
>>63920598

that chase scene was garbage
>>
>>63920848
so you fell asleep before it started and woke up in the last part?
>>
>>63920921
Han and Kylo were pretty decent, Jango is literally a Boba ripoff.
>>
>>63920964

they're pretty much the same character

its obvious that he was in it just to sell toys
>>
>>63920921
>arse
isnt it time for your afternoon tea, ahmed?
>>
>>63918872
oh fuck off
the prequels were mostly about world building, political bullshit and an awful romantic subplot

it was a far cry from the original 3 movies in terms of feel. all it had was lightsabers, jedis, and some shitty retcons.
>>
>>63918872
It's like the director can't get over his own style to make a star wars movie and IT SHOWS. The movie is entertaining based on one viewing, but this is glaring
>>
>>63921100
>it was a far cry from the original 3 movies in terms of feel
So just like the force awakens?
>>
>>63921100

and after Force Awakens, you found out they could make something even more unstarwars like.
>>
my main beef with it is the same i have with pretty much all the games and comics from this franchise: they rehash the same tidbits from the first 3 movies way too much; foreshadowing, mirror trajectories, callbacks, even dumb plot devices like lowering shield to attack a weak point for a big xplosion idk ... hope in the future movie they will take it easy on that level. they totally could repeat the same stuff forever more then reboot it all to give it minor twists here and there like they did with the james bond franchise but really... that's not mentally healthy.
>>
>>63920893
>>63920931
Please tell me you guys are not talking about the 'just think of the force and you'll be a master swordsman' bullshit.

Since you faggot all sound the same, I'm guessing you're going to answer with 'b-but he wasn't fully trained,' which is complete bullshit too.
>>
>>63919662
And on social media, reddit, and every clickbait jurno on the web.

Give it a year or so, I remember alot of people defending ep 2 for quite a while.
>>
>>63920241
>The cantina scene was the worse

I agree, the cantina scene was really too much, that alien critter was unnecessary as well IMO.

>but they are all shallow

Well, I still have hope; the saving grace was Solos' death, that scene was actually really well made and gave the whole film some sense of gravity, i.e. consequence and "meaning".

I actually prefer this to ROTJ. As for depth, yeah it feels shallow, but I rewatched the prequels and the OT before going into the cinema and to be honest - most of the movies don't have that much depth anyway.

>"I'm in charge, I'm in charge, Captain Phasma"

Fett is basically a mute in the OT and he dies like a clown in ROTJ, so let's not pretend this is something new.

>star trek knockoff and not starwars at all.

Funny, that's what a lot of people said about Star Trek (it being Star Wars and not Trek).
>>
>>63918872

When all the shit-head millenials and post-millenials come down off of their high of having a new one, hopfully they'll see just how much of a remake this movie is, and how flat and one-dimensional it is.
>>
>>63920987
Why weren't they the same character? Lucas could have easily gotten away with Boba just fucking off after AotC without all the clone fuckery. Boba would have been actually cool.
>>
File: jj.jpg (56 KB, 626x448) Image search: [Google]
jj.jpg
56 KB, 626x448
>>63918872
JJ Abrams, the creative mastermind behind the new Star Wars blockbuster, has announced today that the story takes place in an alternate, parallel universe.

Abrams, on the drafting of the Star Wars script: "We had already finished the script when market research reported that the omission of material from the Extended Universe didn't resonate well with some of our key target demographics. Given the enormous success we had with the Star Trek reboot, we made the impromptu decision to set Episode VII in a parallel universe. This topic will be further explored in the upcoming sequel."
>>
>>63921233

Are you kidding? I could write a book on all the things I saw wrong, if you care so much about your precious reviews, no worries there will be more coming if you think that one issue is all there is.
>>
>>63921354

Finn's story is literally Daric Larone from Timothy's Zahn's 'Allegiance' and it isn't even a good version of that.
>>
>>63919007
>excessive exposition
It's better than no exposition, I don't even know what's going on in tfa
>>
>>63921442
Disney is owns marvel too.
>>
>>63921389
He wasn't even me mate, I went to go eat. I understand there were definitely other issues, don't get me wrong. But all movies, especially the big blockbusters, have a lot to complain about. But that was the one thing that was just glaringly stupid and it was just hand waved with "the Force" and "he's not trained yet". Besides, I expected a soulless cash grab and so I wasn't disappointed by having higher hopes.
>>
>>63921233

i'm with you on this but one thing to consider: he was wounded by the wookie and also rey is no slouch : we saw earlier she kick ass with her stick so she got some training.
>>
>>63921389
Oh shit, forgive my reading comprehension. I thought they were defending the movie by saying that he didn't understand that scene.

I also saw a lot of things wrong with the movie, don't be mad at me anon.
>>
>>63921354

parralel universe... this is dumb. its like a free pass to reboot the whole thing in a decade.
>>
>>63919395

THE PT IS BAD
DONT BELIEVE THEIR LIES
https://youtu.be/Vs93ITM9G4Q
>>
>>63918872
it's the same plot. Hell, even some of the same characters. It is star wars. Just not a good star wars movie.
>>
You know this board has hit an all time low when they are trying to defend a bunch of retards jumping around and dancing with swords in their hands (AKA the prequels).

Do these kids even know why the OT was so good?
>>
>>63922245
It's not like that's even anything new, either.
>>
>>63922398
yeah. But still bad for reusing so many plot elements. The story is a very big minus.
>>
I think you're talking out of your ass.
>>
>>63922609
While I agree, I can also kind of see why they did it. Firstly as nostalgia bait, though that pretty much failed. Secondly it feels like a setup for a "new generation mirrors the old" thing and I feel like it's going to be that way going forward. Kylo is going to do his best to try and be Vader 2.0 but in the end he'll go back to the Light. Fin is new Han, Rey is new Luke/Leia, Luke is the new Obi Wan/Yoda. Not saying that it's a good thing, just that I understand it.
>>
>>63918872
>feels and felts
Articulate your opinion or get out
>>
>>63919440
>Otherwise it's pretty Star Wars.

No.

Do you know what set Star Wars, even at their lowest, apart from every other Hollywood blockbuster?

In every episode we saw something new and fantastic, something never seen before on the big screen. At their best Star Wars episodes expanded the horizons of what can be done in a movie. Even at their worst they presented new fantastic vistas, of the galaxy far away, like we've never seen before.

TFA completely, completely lacks that. Fuck, they could have mad the sheer scale and unusualness of the Starkiller, a base carved out of a whole planet, be a feature of the final battle - instead of that they opted for a mundane big building in a mundane forest. TFA is a competently filmed action movie, perhaps the best than all the previous episodes in this aspect - but it is a visual desert. Even their tech and costume designs ape OT to a ridiclous extent, and whatever is new, like the First Order shuttles, is fucking shit. The only thing truly new is not-Tatooine littered with the wreckage of war.
>>
thats because it was a marvel movie with lightsabers
>>
>>63923047
In every episode we saw something new and fantastic, something never seen before on the big screen. At their best Star Wars episodes expanded the horizons of what can be done in a movie. Even at their worst they presented new fantastic vistas, of the galaxy far away, like we've never seen before.

That's the problem I realized partway through the movie. For a kid, they'll get those feelings. For someone who's seen the previous movies, you've been in the universe. It's established and normal to you. Making a genuinely fresh sequel with all those feelings is impossible.
>>
>>63920290
>The prequels weren't meant to be a rehash though
IT'S LIKE POETRY
>>
>>63920598
Yeah and how many times have you seen that movie or clip in the 13 years since Clones came out? These people saying TFA isn't as memorable as movies they've seen more than once are laughably stupid in their reasoning. You might ultimately be right, but your reasoning is flawed.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.