[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about this rare movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: OnlyGodForgivesBSO.jpg (52 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
OnlyGodForgivesBSO.jpg
52 KB, 450x450
What do you think about this rare movie?
>>
I HEARD it wasn't good. I haven't seen it.
>>
>>63908496
You heard wrong, friendo.
>>
>>63908263
I watched it, it's a shit movie that is hated even by the director, but I still enjoy going on /tv/ and pretending it's a patrician masterpiece to trick people into watching it so it all worked out in the end
>>
Looks good on blu ray
>>
Wanna fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs
>>
masterpiece
>>
It's a good movie
>>
Is it really good? It looks bad but... I don't know. I can't trust you senpai
>>
>>63908263
I've watched it twice and really enjoyed it. I was very high both times, though, so it's probably really bad.
>>
has like 2 good scenes, the rest is trash
>>
I watch it every now and then. Gorgeous looking and great soundtrack
>>
Really enjoyed it. Refn is the best filmmaker working today.
>>
Pretty repulsive movie.

Just makes you feel like shit and sort of ill watching it like you just want to take a shower or something when it's over.

8/10 desu
>>
>>63908263

I thought it was a waste of Kristin Scott Thomas's talent.
>>
>>63909159
>hated by the director
This is a meme. Refn has stated he believes it's "real cinema" because of the critical reaction.

>pretending to be a masterpiece
>tricking people
You're delusional.
>>
>>63908263
It's in my top 5, fantastic film
>>
>>63908263
I dug it for the most part. Gosling is kind of a waste.
>>
I liked Wanna Fight Man's sperg out at that girl and the torture scene and the style/music of it
>>
>>63913930
The sperg scene was one of the best "small scenes" in a Refn movie
>>
Visually very nice, but the movie reeks of pretentious symbolism and what could of been an excellent premise is compromised for the sake of it. Seriously, its like all you have to do is have two people stare at eachother for 5 mins with the occasional line said inbetween and there will be that "crowd" that will flock to it, put it on a pedestal and call it "deep and artistic."

It's pretty much a cult film, but I've noticed that the type of "cult" this movie brings are the type of people who have a high opinion of themselves and think their tastes are superior to everyone elses. Honestly, Refn would have been better off making an actual fight film instead of this "film schools graduates arthouse project". Drive struck a good balance between arthouse and crowdpleasing, I don't know what the fuck happened here.
>>
>>63913991
>pretentious

There's that word again. Reminder that it's not a criticism.
>>
>>63914017
Oh please anon, this movie reeks of thinking that it implicates more meaning than it actually has. It has absolutely nothing significant to say about anything, but that wont stop it from thinking it does. It's "intellectual arthouse" for dumb people who are too snobby to watch a Christopher Nolan film instead.
>>
>>63914017
Not him but it is most certainly a criticism, it's just often used completely incorrectly, especially in regards to film.

There's very few films you could argue genuinely pretentious but there are examples such as Sucker Punch, Upstream Color and, if you subscribe to the 'chang is god' theory, Only God Forgives
>>
>>63914084
I'd argue Nymphomaniac is another example of a pretentious film.
>>
>>63908263
I liked it

I like everything goose is in

c:
>>
>>63913991
>arthouse

There's that word again. Why do plebs think it means anything?
>>
>>63914017
This 2bh senpai. Go to reddit word for "i have nothing substantial to say but wanna post something"
>>
>>63914408
>i have nothing substantial to say but wanna post something
Kind of like Only God Forgives, so the word is fitting.
>>
>>63908263
Was Refn depressed like Trier when he made it?
>>
>>63908263
The gore in this was really out of place. It worked a lot better in Valhalla Rising and Drive.

I also felt it was a little too loose. I think it's a fault with some directors were they let go and do things a little crazy, without actually putting thought into what it means. Then they just put it to 'audience interpretation'. Some of the ambiguous scenes worked well (the Thai Cop Karaoke especially for me), others not so much.
>>
File: seriously nigga.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
seriously nigga.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>Characters catchphrase is "Wanna fight?"
>He only fights once in the movie

Why is this allowed?
>>
Best part is the fight scene. Probably the best Muay Thai fight scene ever. If you ever wanted to know why you should learn Muay Thai, watch this movie.
>>
>>63914055
>>63914084
You only proved my point
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.