[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck did they "destroy the republic"? Is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: wtfjj.jpg (96 KB, 1351x597) Image search: [Google]
wtfjj.jpg
96 KB, 1351x597
How the fuck did they "destroy the republic"? Is the republic those 4 planets? Why does this smell like shitty writing?
What planets were those they destroyed? Coruscant?
How did the energy beam traveled so fast to destroy those planets? The light of the sun takes 8 minutes to reach earth. Was that planetary system the size of the distance of earth from mars? Does the beam travels faster than light?
How could the character see the planets being destroyed in broad daylight? And at naked eyes? How can they see the planets so clearly if they are in a different solar system?
How can they compress inside a small planet's core without turning it into a black hole.
This part of the movie made me cringe. I know SW is space fantasy, but this screams like "I don't give a fuck about all, I just want a dramatic scene." - J.J. Hackams
>>
Why didn't they destroy the planet with the fucking "resistance" base on it? Why give the resistance a chance to counter at all?
>>
>>63894678
This is worse than mid-chlorians.
>>
>>63894745

They didn't know where it was
>>
>>63894749
>a deathstar for our times
>everything I wanted a deathstar to be

agreed. at least midichlorians were an original idea.
>>
It's not Coruscant, it was the Hosnian system where the senate was located.

The book covers this sort of thing in more detail.
>>
>>63894678
>Bitching about "how can't muh physics work.
>Literally the whole fucking saga is filled with science inconsistency.
>>
Why didn't the weapon consume the sun the first time it shot?

Or if it did, did it somehow move systems? No one mentions it having any propulsion.
>>
>>63894745
they didn't know where it was you fucking retard. the second time they fire they find the base and target it, and then the resistance blows it up before it can fire

found the guy who didnt watch the movie
>>
Wait so the Coruscant is an irrelevant planet after being front and center for the past six films?
>>
>>63894933
>mentioned in prequels alone
>front and center
Lol no
>>
They destroyed the Senate. Those 4 planets belogn to the home system of the Senate, it is not Coruscant.
The energy beam is described as hyper-light speed.
The only way they would have observed this event is to be in the same system, which I doubt was the case. Just artistic license.
Physically you would need to compress our star into a 3km diamter ball for a black hole, but the problem of gravity would remain. You can ignore it by considering that the "fuel tanks" use magic-tier science.

In terms of Abrams, my guess is that he wanted desperately to destroy Coruscant as he did Vulcan but was shut down.
>>
>>63894933
>6
?
>>
>>63894678
it was a hyperspace weapon so the beam reached planets far away.

They should not have seen it though.

Coruscant could be part of the new empire.
>>
>>63894910
There was a line about it being a huperspeed hyper drive base/weapon thing.
>>
>>63894824
>At least (insert aspect of the prequels) was (an original idea/full of spirit/heart/part of a vision)

This is my FAVORITE reddit meme. I like it a lot, dude.
>>
>>63894933
Only the senate is mentioned, and Sheev says it was "liquidated".
>>
>>63894745
>>63894787
>Han Solo can find the Millenium Falcon by "scanning for it" at the time it happens to be stolen

>Galactic Governments can't find each other without being in visual range

FUCKING BRAVO
>>
>>63894834
I thought it was Chandrila in the book? The book (aftermath right?) was mediocre at best.
>>
>>63895209
The Resistance is a paramilitary group unofficially supported by the New Republic, not a government.
>>
Why didn't they hide BB 8 so everyone would stop telling the First Order where they are.

Finn mentions it at Maz's hideout.

Just ignore the fact that their pointless carelessness is responsible for the death of those people, destroying Maz's hideout, and Rey getting captured.
>>
>>63894787
>>63894922
How did they discover where it was?
>>
>implying we aren't going to get some glorious hot drops and capital ship warfare in VIII now that the Republic has a reason to rumble
>>
>>63895348
Which is fucking stupid. Why do they need a paramilitary group to fight space nazis?
>>
>>63895072
Hi JJ.
>>
>>63895815
assuming the events that were hinted at in the book went through. Mon Mothma disarmed the new republic. Someone within the new republic was probably funding the horribly named "resistance" to help coerce systems into joining the NR.

As to why they didn't just have a reserve army or something at the ready in case the FO came back (which seems like BS because NR is all former rebel vets) is beyond me. I think its stupid and was a poor excuse for a sup plot just so jar jar Abrams could re-feed us his telling of the OT
>>
>>63894678
>How could the character see the planets being destroyed in broad daylight?

They were on a moon would be my guess. We see a fuckton of debris around their planet when they come back at the end
>>
>>63894678
Kind of caught me off guard.

The thing is called "Star Killer Base" and I heard it took out entire solar systems. Just kind of assumed it killed a systems star, thus killing the planets. Instead it fires multiple beams? which would vary depending on the number of planets in the system? What was the maximum number of beams it could fire? Could they fire at multiple systems simultaneously?
>>
>>63896078
I took it as it fired a single beam that then split off. But who the fuck knows.
>>
>>63895989
Which books do I have to read to understand the fucking movie?

BTW is Smoked Darth plagueis? Should I read that book also?
>>
>>63896204
We don't know who Snoke is. A lot of people think it's Plagueis because he was said to be able to beat death. For all we know he could be Sidious that somehow survived.
>>
I had problems with this.

They blew up four-five planets and there was no impact, no gravitas, nothing. Just a showy spectacle and that was it.

No "like a thousand voices quieted" or anything. There were screams yes, but nothing else. Then everyone sort of forgets about what would be an extremely traumatizing and horrifying event.

How the hell did they allow this weapon to come to existence in the first place? Rather, how the actual fuck is this "Last Remnant" able to build something even stronger than the two Death Stars, which were the empire at it's strongest?

It's bullshite mane.
>>
>"That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again? What could be born of that? Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn't get done?"
J.J. Abrams' description of the First Order
>>
>having hemorroid burns over star wars sci fi
>>
Reminder that he did the same shit in Star Trek with Vulcanus
>>
>>63896635
Star trek science is pure nonsense anyway
>>
File: 1448570336511.jpg (2 MB, 2440x3407) Image search: [Google]
1448570336511.jpg
2 MB, 2440x3407
They blew up the Hosnian System.
>>
>>63896972
>Rakata Prime
If they actually bring back the Infinite Empire, I will either be happy, or really fucking mad.
>>
will we get prequels to these movies explaining the events between them and rotj?
>>
>4 planets
It was one planet and its moons. Jesus you people
>>
>>63897232
why were the moons worth blowing up?
>>
>>63897332
Because they were posing for the camera.
>>
>>63894883

I can get how the beam sped up at some point (which for some strange reason wasn't shown) but come on, them being able to see the destruction right as it happened when they weren't even in the same system really stretches believability. Nevermind we don't know if they were moons or planets, and if it was moons, it makes it look even dumber.
>>
File: 1447636304251.png (70 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
1447636304251.png
70 KB, 195x195
>>63897422
HEAT SEEKING SPLIT BEAMS THAT CAN TRAVEL FASTER THAN LIGHT BUT SLOW DOWN NEAR THEIR TARGET FOR THE SAKE OF DRAMA
>>
>>63897527
the beams were traveling through hyperspace
>>
What did destroying the planets accomplish?

In every scene we see that the First Order has supporters everywhere: Jakku, mercenaries, and in the bar. Maybe one of those was their home planet? What if some supporters were on that planet?

Also, what was the goal of doing that? Seems very shitty
>>
Everyone keeps ignoring my question.

Why wasn't the Starkiller Base planet completely pitch black after the sun was consumed?
>>
>>63897675
dramatic effect :^)
>>
>>63895334
In the visual guide to the movie, it's explained that the capital of the New Republic constantly shifts based on the member planets.
>>
>>63896391
The Galactic Empire was never fully destroyed.

The Republic controls part of the Galaxy.

The Empire controls a different part of the Galaxy.

They have a brittle cease-fire agreement.

The Republic funds the "Resistance" to wage a proxy-war with the Empire.
>>
>>63897629
the rest of the republic planets were suppose to "bow down" after seeing such utter destruction. The space nazi man said it in his speech.

Of course that didn't happen so they recharged to fire again, maybe a bit MORE destruction could solve the issue and make people take them seriously.
>>
>>63897675
because it would be hard to see anything or film anything in such conditions
>>
>>63897599
So the unnamed superweapon bends Space so that it can fire directly at targets.

Side effect: The beam is strong enough to shine into normal space?
>>
>>63896972
>Kuat
>canon

Let's hope not.
>>
>>63895989
>Mon Mothma disarmed the new republic
Fuck me, you know what the republic gets everything it deserves, it never learns the fucking lesson
>>
>>63897854
Apparently not just shine, but shine using the same warping effect to have it simultaneously seen around the galaxy at all angles.
>>
>>63897738

So the Republic is the US

The Resistance is moderate Syrian Rebels

The First Order is Assad

And Snoke is Putin
>>
>>63897854
look dude
it's Star Wars
just turn your brain off and try to have fun
>>
>>63894678
>star wars
>sci-fi

LOL
>>
I don't like that they shoot a beam that perfectly splits up and hits the planets. I would have liked it more if it had been a "laser shotgun" and just shot a spray of massively powerful beams that shredded the side of the planet facing the weapon and anything in the general vicinity
>>
>>63897629
I don't know man, why did the Americans nuke the Japanese in WW2? This is a puzzle that will never be solved
>>
>>63895989
so the separtist situation happens and everyone gets duped by not already having an existing standing army and they fucking do it again. what. really.Wouldnt they need the rebel army to maintain order after the fall of the empire.
>>
>>63897868
It shows up in clone wars so I guess it's not going anywhere.
>>
File: MainGalaxy.png (2 MB, 1471x1321) Image search: [Google]
MainGalaxy.png
2 MB, 1471x1321
>>63896972
>All the old planets are still in the same exact locations

Here's the "old galaxy" for reference.
>>
>>63897937
>Stop discussing stuff I am not interested in.
You should probably leave.
>>
>>63894678
I loved the movie, but the Starkiller Base and the attack on the Republic is my biggest problem with it.
>>
>>63894678
they destroyed presumably the Republic homeworld/capital

it's more a symbolic gesture of power than anything else

they also probably killed off most of the republic leadership, although they may have also just made Leia the supreme commander of the Republic
>>
File: mind-blown-tim-and-eric.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
mind-blown-tim-and-eric.gif
2 MB, 200x200
The novel's explanation of the beam is my favorite bullshit moment of the week:

It struck with enough force to penetrate the crust and the mantle. Stunned scientists assumed the globe had been hit by an asteroid. The reality was worse, much worse. So powerful was the orb of phantom energy that as it dissipated within the planetary core, it blocked the free flow of elysium. Gravitons that normally moved freely and harmlessly through the planet suddenly were blocked from doing so. Almost immediately, the resulting graviton flux released enough heat to ignite the core…

Turning the planet into what astrophysicists called a pocket nova.
>>
>>63896391
>How the hell did they allow this weapon to come to existence in the first place?

Yes they seemed to have some indication it was being built but let it happen.

Then they just fly some ships by to scout it and with some info from a guy who worked as a janitor on it they work out how to destroy it.

This is in the course of 5 minutes. They couldn't work out how the fuck to defeat the death star without the plans.
>>
>>63898089
I actually made a map that only has the canon planets on it.
I'm on mobile though and its way to big to post, so here's a low quality screenshot of it.
>>
>>63898055
I was talking about Kuat of Kuat, not Kuat the planet.
>>
>>63894678

I thought it was weird how they were all like "Oh yea, another deathstar destroyed some planets, no big deal."
>>
>>63898154
/thread

every single negative critic has been by absolute fucking retards
>>
My question is who the hell designes these things? I never ever saw a single scientist in these movies
>>
>>63898089
>>63898216
Is Illum then the origin point of the Starkiller Base?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ilum
It IS an arctic planet.
>>
>>63898226
Oh he's gone, probably for good.
>>
File: 1335563284926.jpg (8 KB, 214x221) Image search: [Google]
1335563284926.jpg
8 KB, 214x221
>>63895072

Yeah i'm gettin' pretty sick of hearing this shit too.

Fuck the prequels.
>>
>>63898137

I didn't straight up love it, but those (along with Poe Dameron dropping off after the first part) are my least favorite parts too. Starkiller Base's powers and capabilities were poorly explained/exhibited, and the attack on it was really underwhelming (and stretched believability like just how fucking easy the Falcon and such made it in), and the only time I felt like it was clearly rehasing ANH.
>>
>>63894678
Oh come on, the science behind Star Wars never made sense. Who the fuck cares.
>>
>>63898323
It's not confirmed, but it probably is.
>>63898216
I'll post a better quality of this in an hour or two.
>>
Holy shit guys, was Jar Jar in one of those planets?
>>
>>63895748

This

The Star Wars have begun, gentlemen.

y'know, again.
>>
>>63898409
Naboo is no where near Hosnian so no.
>>
File: 1449506066063.jpg (60 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
1449506066063.jpg
60 KB, 800x527
>>63896972
>Rakata Prime

Confirmed for JJ to take influence from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. If it's considered canon that the Starkiller Base was created at and/or near Rakata Prime - the Star Forge that Revan used is just as canon.

Which means the either Kylo or Rey is Revan, and you better screenshot this post.
>>
File: 1421212820460.gif (3 MB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1421212820460.gif
3 MB, 350x262
>>63896972
>Moraband
>>
>>63898569
>Both of them were children recently
>They are the many-thousand year old Jedi
Yeah. No.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snoke is, or Luke is trying to find him though.
>>
>>63898393
The thing is, I'm fine with BS science in my fantasy movie. Don't care.

Just explain it, please, and give it the appropriate weight. So they just killed off an entire seat of government? Alright, but that doesn't just get shrugged off. And what's going on with sucking the star? What star did they use before? What star will they use next? How does absorbing the star affect the planet?

Really, would have been simple to just say it takes some power from the sun but doesn't destroy it.
>>
>>63894678
>What planets were those they destroyed? Coruscant?
>>63894834
>>63894991
>They destroyed the Senate. Those 4 planets belogn to the home system of the Senate, it is not Coruscant.
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>63895848
Hello, reddit.
>>
>>63898569
rakata prime is where luke is. hes searching for the first jedi temple and the rakata were the first dominant force sensitive species in the galaxy so he probably went there to learn rakatan shit.
>>
>>63898648
Yeah, anon, that sounds better.

Confirmed "Snoke" is Revan.
>>
File: 1415339280863.gif (3 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1415339280863.gif
3 MB, 200x200
>>63896972
>Takodana is that far from Hosnian
>Hosnian's destruction is clearly and immediately visible in Takodana's sky
BRAVO JAR JAR
R
A
V
O
>>
>>63898817

Where is it stated that Luke is on Rakata Prime?

I know all about the race and planet from the games and EU.
>>
>>63898842
This could be excusable as Space had to be bent so the effective distance to the target is short enough as long as the hyperspace path is open.

Visibility of the Beam on the way would be a different matter.
>>
>>63898182
>Stunned scientists assumed the globe had been hit by an asteroid.
scientists on the planet? when did they have time to assume that?
>>
File: 1450403188218.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450403188218.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>63895072
>>
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the names of the secondary characters. The only people I care about are Fin, Rey, Kylo, Han, Chewy, Leia, Luke (despite brief appearance), C3PO and R2D2. And then there's Genreal Guy, Silver Stormtrooper, Giant Hologram, Rebel Pilot Guy, Bartender Thing, Ball Bot, and the Rebel Admiral who I was surprised to see. I mean, when Finn and Rebel Pilot Guy reunited and hugged, I was confused because I couldn't remember him, because he's barely in The film. And the Silver Stormtrooper was there just so she could get caught later.
>>
>>63899246
This wasn't what happened in the film though.
>>
>>63894993
?
>>
>>63896348
>>63896204
unlikely. Sheev made sure he was hella dead, and he knew about all his life altering abilities. Also I don't think Snok isn't a Mun
>>
>>63897736
>constantly shifts based on the writers needs
>>
>>63899351
Except it did you dumb faggot.
>>
>>63898089
What's on the center of the galaxy? I bet this was made before we knew there were black holes on the center of all galaxies, so I wonder what they made up here
>>
>>63899516
Plagueis isn't a muun either.
>>
>>63899516
>>63899691
That's no Muun...
>>
File: hosni something.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
hosni something.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>not posting the webm
>>
>>63895989
thats retarded beyond words.
>>
File: 1449386559951.gif (1 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1449386559951.gif
1 MB, 280x210
>>63899604
Yes, I remember exactly how halfway through the film Rey and bb8 come across the old hermit Lars San Tekka,
And how Han solo helps Rey escape the destruction of her village. And how finn didn't exist.
>>
>>63897937
we sure as shit didnt have to in the originals, hell even the prequels had some fucking structure.

this is just sloppy.
>>
Those planets are too close together and that bothers me
>>
>>63899691
he was in the books and they changed it. FUCKERS

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis/Legends
>>
>>63899946
They exist in the same system
>>
>>63899888

She didn't know Han for just a few hours, but with given the timeframe of the movie, it was about a day (not that it wasn't enough for either her and Finn to build a strong connection.)

Also, it hasn't been revealed Snoke's affiliation (but he is overwhelmingly likely a sith lord.)
>>
>>63899954
>FUCKERS
Are you talking to me? Or to the people that changed plagueis?
>>
>>63898883
Because Luke's planet fucking matches Rakata Prime's description to a T
>>
My question is a how a weakened remnant empire was able to make something three time bigger than the Death Star
>>
>>63899975

They still shouldn't be anywhere near that close. Just have different shots of them being destroyed or something. Better yet, make it so people in a different star system can't see it as if it was happening in their own.

Unless I'm wrong and those were all moons, but still, why the fuck did people on Takodana see it?
>>
>>63900017
the people that changed him. that was a good book and I thought it was safe from the purge.
>>
>>63899975
and pluto exist in the same system as earth but we can see other planets clearly enough to see fucking topography features.
>>
>>63894678
JJ has no sense of scale.

Like how the Klingon homeworld was a half-hour flight from Earth in Star Trek 2: Sherlock's Revenge.
>>
>>63900103

They didn't, they modified a pre-existing planet. Which still would have required an insane amount of work.
>>
>>63900103
better question, Death star i get, 20 years and millions of workers, probably delivering pieces of it at a time.

how does one make a weapon that big, hollow out the fucking core, and suck in a god damn STAR which is nuclear hydrogen fusion.
>>
>>63900127
>The planets in the Hosnian System are spaced out exactly like the planets of our Solar System
>>
>>63900147
or how they jumped from earth to vulcan in the span of a few minutes.

last i recall, the enterprise would cruise at warp 3-8 and see shit coming light years away and it'd actually give you a sense of scale and time about how massive the distances are in space.
>>
>>63900271
you know what massive destruction would happen if you had planets spaced out like they showed in the film?

its impossible. turns out gravity of planets also helps to REPEL as much as attract.
>>
>>63898569
retard alert
>>
>>63900286
dont forget that random ass ice planet in viewing distance of vulcan.
>>
>>63900156
it also would have made it insanley detectable
>>
>>63896348
>The Supreme Leader is wise
>Darth Plagueis the Wise
Could be a red herring, but it'd be stupid to have some seemingly very old ancient alien, powerful in the ways of the force to just pop up out of nowhere.

Sheev was not an incompetent man. If there had been powerful force users, he would've made sure that his dick was somewhere in their body.
>>
>>63895610

they never did...what's so hard to understand here?
>>
>>63894678
It's not Coruscant, I forget what it was called but its not.
I'm pretty certain Coruscant would still be under imperial (now the first order) rule because it was the capital, it'd be pretty hard to liberate that.
>>
>>63900492
We've established it was Hosnian Prime that was blown up.
Also I doubt the first order had any control over Coruscant considering their celebration at the end of episode 6 and the fact that Coruscant exists at the core of the galaxy.
>>
File: howdogalacticcoreswork.jpg (3 MB, 2440x3407) Image search: [Google]
howdogalacticcoreswork.jpg
3 MB, 2440x3407
>>63896972
>>
>>63900492
>pretty hard to liberate that
Lucas had it in Jedi at the end. Everyone around the galaxy instantly realised when the Emperor died and all started to throw a party because they were now free.
>>
>>63900667
Oh God... that's even more hilarious. They COULD HAVE blown up Coruscant but decided on another target twice as far away.
>>
>>63897738
this should be stickied desu
>>
>>63900667

>Geonosis in the same system as Tatooine

who came up with this
>>
>>63894678
Nigger the millenium falcon can apparently go at light speed AND maneuver and you worry about energy beams?
>>
>>63897738

ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT THAT WAS NEVER EXPLAINED.

DONT GIVE ME YOUR EU COP-OUT I WILL RAPE YOU WITH EU BULLSHIT
>>
>>63900823
What's wrong with that.
>>
>>63900823
This had been around since Geonosis was established as a planet.
>>
Why the fuck is there a "Resistance" when the fucking Republic is in power?
>>
>>63894678
>It is very much — and it's acknowledged as such in the movie — apparently another Death Star. But what it's capable of, how it works, and what the threat is, is far greater than what the Death Star could have done. Starkiller Base is another step forward, technologically speaking, in terms of power."
―J.J. Abrams, on the similarities and differences between the Death Stars and Starkiller Base
>>
>>63900844
right, one of my issues is that this was not really fleshed out.

I do prefer what they did rather than some George Lucas-esque blatant explanation
>>
>>63899890
Yeah because Anakin being born from immaculate conception was totally logical and a solid foundation for his character.
>>
>>63900732

Coruscant was probably too important to even them to wantonly destroy.

And yeah, how far Takodana is from Hosnian Prime.... that's just retarded.
>>
>>63900913
see
>>63897738
>>
>>63900897

No, they're not, but they are in the same sector and very close.
>>
>>63900823
>same system
They're separate stars, and that galaxy is probably similar in size to ours so the systems are easily tens of lightyears away.
>>
File: 1414112996599.gif (2 MB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1414112996599.gif
2 MB, 250x237
>beam of light that magically stops for no reason
WOW
>>
>Prequels
Ambitious yet rubbish. Poorly executed
>TFA
Safe, competently made, boring.

Prove me wrong. They should've just re-made the prequels and justified it as the original set of prequels being some stupid dream Yoda had.

All we're getting is the exact same shit, not the stuff people actually wanted. Go back to the 80s or 90s and the idea of the prequels are brilliant, you get to see the Clone Wars, we get to see the old republic, the Jedi in their prime, the downfall of Anakin and so on.
>>
>>63900916
And people think this won't turn into Star Wars Z
>>
>>63895072
>liking anything about the prequels is Reddit
lolwut? Reddit would be the type of place that hates the prequels.
>>
>>63901143
wrong pic
>>
>>63894678
>I know SW is space fantasy, but this screams like "I don't give a fuck about all, I just want a dramatic scene."
So you admit Star Wars isn't about science but because it's new and not what you grew up with, you're going to complain?
How the fuck does hyperdrive work?
How come planets have one kind of weather on the whole surface?
What is the Death Star using for fuel?

This shit doesn't matter so it isn't explained.
>>
>>63901183

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>63898408
>>63898216
hurry pls
>>
>>63901149
you have to be 18 or older to post on this site
>>
>>63901183
>Light
It's plasma
>>
>>63901266
I just got home. Trying to compress the file size while keeping the anoat system visible
>>
File: 1342288899380.png (3 KB, 186x186) Image search: [Google]
1342288899380.png
3 KB, 186x186
>>63896972
I still can't get over the fact that the Resistance/Republic allowed the First Order to blow up five fucking planets and kill billions of people. It works in ANH because the Empire rules the galaxy -- what is the Rebellion gonna do about it?

This is just dumb.
>>
>>63901288
>solid plasma
ummmm????
>>
>>63901334
It will become full on war in the next movie because of the First Order's actions in The Force Awakens.
>>
>>63895989
>Mothma disarmed the new republic
BRAVO
>>
>>63901334
>what is the Rebellion gonna do about it
I think you mean the Republic, and like the other poster said they're probably going to go to war

once the republic was attacked the Resistance knew they were probably next which is why they struck when they did
>>
>>63901372
War? They blew up the Republic's army.
The Republic is fucking gone dude.
>>
>>63894678
they said it was a hyper lightspeed weapon pay attention anon
its fast as shit
>>
>>63900645
>>63900721
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Riot_in_Monument_Plaza
>Despite the citizens fighting back during the riot, Coruscant remained under Imperial control.
>>
>>63901427
They blew up one Republic planet, not their entirety of it.
>>
>>63901343
>ummmm????
Are you a twelve year old girl?
>>
>>63901372
But I thought the Republic was gone.

It's just... they know there's this group called the First Order, yes? They know they're been abducting babies and turning them into Stormtroopers; they know they're obsessed with Vader; they know they're obsessed with the Empire; they know they have another Death Star.

With all these pieces in place, WHY THE FUCK DID THEY ALLOW THEM TO FIRE OFF A-GODDAMN-NOTHER DEATH STAR KILLING BILLIONS OF PEOPLE!?

I guess I could turn off my mind like this is some capeshit, but fucking hell this is bad.
>>
>>63901512
The entire army was stationed there.
>>
>>63901512
They blew up the entire star system, dude.
>>
>>63901319
Fuck man, just upload it to pomf.cat or something.
>>
>>63901573
>a republic is four planets

>>63901570
durrr
>>
>>63894678
>>63896972
>>63898089
>>63898216
>>63901266
>>63901319
>>63901627
4mb file size limit is insane. Anyways, these are the canon planets of the galaxy.
>>
What bothers me the most is actually how the republic with all of its funds and security (the resistance mentions how the republic's fleet was the best in the galaxy) has no fucking clue about the weapon or base, yet the rebels, who had inferior equipment, are able to know the exact second in which they start charging the weapon and in less than 5 minutes already have a fleet over there.

Also, why hadn't they used the weapon before?

And at that point, everything is fucked, what keeps them from making other starkiller bases? Or smaller death stars (that can still accomplish the same or similar result)?

In RotJ which happens maybe a few months after ANH they already have a 2nd death star built. How many deathstars could they have built in a 30 years span?
>>
File: star_wars_timeline_small.png (1000 KB, 423x2000) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_timeline_small.png
1000 KB, 423x2000
>>63901756
>RotJ which happens maybe a few months after ANH
>>
>>63901570
if that's true that seems like poor planning on their part
>>
>>63901795

Okay, four years.

Theres still a 30 years gap between that and TFA.

My point still stands, they could have built a fuckload more bases.
>>
>>63894678
Pretty sure the Republic was seated there. Cut off the head and the body collapses.

Except when it doesn't. Clearly the Empire was easily replaced by the First Order. But since the Resistance was apparently struggling to begin with, taking out the Republic cut off their support and left them far more scattered than the Empire was, still very much a galactic powerhouse when the Emperor died. While the Resistance will be less likely to eat itself as the Imperial remnants did, it's also much weaker.

Also that shit lit up like a goddamn supernova, of course they could see it in broad daylight.
>>
>>63901694
Thanks, are you sure these are all canon? that other map said it was the official entire galaxy, how do you know this is it?
>>
>>63901831
It is true, it's mentioned in the movie.
"We're all that's left..." - Leia
>>
>>63901915
Honestly, I'm relying on wookiepdeia with it.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets
>>
>>63900667
>>63896972
I don't see Alderaan on that map.
>>
>>63901988
Well then it seems credible enough, since they list sources for everything, thanks a lot
>>
So let me get this straight
>the empire exists but they arent bad anymore
>the FO is an evil extremist group based on the old empire
>the new republic has no fleet or troops
>the resistance is secret a group funded by the republic to fight in spite of not being secret and being obviously called 'the resistance'
They are basically making shit up all the way
>>
>>63900981
better than "oh im defecting fromf irst order, k-bye!"
or
"I might be jedi, now i can use jedi mind influence!"
>>
File: 1449628136159.jpg (39 KB, 598x608) Image search: [Google]
1449628136159.jpg
39 KB, 598x608
>>63902006
you're looking in alderaan places
>>
>>63902023
>if i didnt see it in the movie it doesnt exist
>>
>>63902006
see this
>>63901694
>>
>>63901143
technically its plasma
>>
File: 200.gif (469 KB, 288x200) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
469 KB, 288x200
>>63902006
Nobody's seeing much of Alderaan these days.
>>
>>63894678
what NES game is this?
>>
>>63900732
Is Coruscant possibly in the hands of the First Order? I don't read the EU but seeing as it was the home of the empire and the republic had to set up a senate on another world that's what I'm going to assume.
>>
>>63902023
>>the empire exists but they arent bad anymore
>>the FO is an evil extremist group based on the old empire
is this confirmed? I got the idea that the Empire morphed into the FO

also the republic had a fleet but supposedly the whole thing or at least a significant portion was blown up in the attack

>the resistance is secret a group funded by the republic to fight in spite of not being secret and being obviously called 'the resistance'
this has happened many times in real life. a current example is the US funding the Kurds
>>
File: 1304508627419s.jpg (3 KB, 114x126) Image search: [Google]
1304508627419s.jpg
3 KB, 114x126
>>63902039
>>
It really needed to be explained that the New Republic was in a cold war with numerous remanent Empire factions all bickering among themselves. Likewise, it needed to be shown the New Republic couldn't engage in open war with these factions due to some bureaucracy/lack of manpower shit so they funded proxy resistance groups. If this was explained off the bat, it would be more justified to know why the Order is able to secure its own chunk of the galaxy like other factions, I was wondering why throughout the film the New Republic didn't steamroll these religious retards in a couple of days. There shouldn't of been a stupid death star meme battle, should have been a space battle instead with a ground force fighting over that missing puzzle piece.

All I can think of is JJ wanted to have a Death Star, but his was going to be bigerer and betterer and destroy not one planet but four!!!! But if they insisted on doing the dumb DK meme I would have preferred it to be some planetary cannon that could ruin planets, but not blow them up; a short of nuke cannon. Likewise, they should have fucking explained how they were managing to build this thing with who's money, what resources and man power and how long without the Republic getting wind of it.

In fact a better plot would be to know the Order/Kylo were so religiously devoted to the Vader dream that they wanted to build their own Death Star planet cannon thing, the Republic get wind of it into the film which forces the final climatic fight as the Order's unfinished secret weapon is exposed and destroyed.
>>
>>63902119
US funding the kurds is secret?
>>
>>63898089
>>63896972
>>63900667
>>63901694
What kind of stupid, roundabout route were they taking to Coruscant in PM that they ended up on Tatooine?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2428x2940) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2428x2940
So did they name the weapon system after Darth Vader's greatest apprentice?
>>
>>63902227
>didnt see the movie
They were damaged and needed parts to escape trade federation intercepts
Tatooine was out of the way so they could get the parts without getting caught
>>
>>63902260
Would explain the multi beam. It was another homage to him, and his dual lightsabers.
>>
>>63899246
>Ren is actually Rey's cousin
I don't remember that ever being said
>>
>>63902330
It's an inaccurate meme image
>>
>>63902191

this, but building a new weapon has parallels to the death star ii, so
>>
I have the "big picture" of this trilogy figured out.

Rei is Han and Leia's other child. Leia and Han somehow figured out that Rei has Force potential, and gave her up to that whatever place (proof: she had a TON of 'day' marks on that wall).

The final big battle will have that reveal, and her and Edgelord fight (after Luke is killed by Edgelord).
>>
>>63902306
Why not Sullust? Or a random Mid Rim planet that wasn't allied with the Trade Federation, and extremely close to one of their allies? And wasn't completely out of the way and added time to their trip which was time sensitive, and to and Outer Rim world that didn't take credits? I get that they were damaged, but there had to be other options.
>>
>>63902475
Well thats just the how thr story goes. Its not a terrible explanation, so meh. Really, its not inconsistent, they had few options and chose one and it was tatooine ok?
>>
File: absolutely-magical.jpg (68 KB, 615x497) Image search: [Google]
absolutely-magical.jpg
68 KB, 615x497
>>63902433
Luke will die by sacrifice. There's no fucking way the best Jedi in history will die like a chump.
>>
>>63902220
no but I wonder how much of a 'secret' it is that the Republic is funding the Resistance. Do you really think the First Order suspects otherwise?
>>
>>63896972
>Dathomir

Good thing they stole from the EU
>>
>>63896391
Why the fuck didn't they evacuate the Resistance planet at the end. They had time, and they still could have co-ordinated the battle.
>>
>>63902433
so you're saying Han and Leia both saw her and didn't react to seeing her?
>>
>>63902702
Dathomir exists in the clone wars show.
>>
TFA is just an average movie
TPM good
AOTC is also average
ROTS, TESB, ANH, AND ROTJ are all great
>>
>>63902763
Good thing Disney stole Dathomir and put it in some cartoon for retards
>>
>>63896477
Literally Argentina in the same continent as the states...
No it would not have happened. too many IFs.
>>
>>63902726
Duh. For one, she was dropped off as maybe early as a wee babe. Also, even if they DID know, they were PURPOSELY referring to her as the junker girl/that girl/some girl JUST to throw her (and everyone else) off any scent that she is Han and Leia's child (and also a child possessing Gohan-like force). Mark my words: the big "Luke I'm your father" reveal will be that she is their daughter, and bloodkin to Luke, and she's UBER powerful.
>>
>>63902710
>15 minutes is enough time to evacuate a planet
>>
>>63902260
Are you fucking serious.
>>
>>63902678
they fucking said it. thats why they blew up republic planets.
>>
>>63894678
Why didn't the Republic, probably one of the most important systems in the galaxy, have some sort of protection against attacks like these? The Death Star should have given them an idea of what they should prepare for, and they had 30 years to do it.
>>
>>63902895

yes :^)
>>
no, its named after Luke's original surname, "starkiller". Jesus read a book.
>>
>>63894678
>death beams from starkiller planet reach another solar system over the course of a few seconds.
>the inhabitants see the light of the beams coming before the beams arrive. Meaning the light the beams give off move faster than the beams made of light?
>also the light of this solar system being destroyed reaches the planet the resistance are on happen in seemingly real time. The same tine that the starkiller crew see it happen.
>Meaning the light from the beams and light from the explosion move both faster than the beams and arrive instantaneously regardless of distance in all three locations.

This writing is fucking garbage
>>
>>63902976
>why is there sound in space
>>
>>63902976
It would have been so easy to fix this. Just have some throw away line about how the Starkiller base creates hyperspace tunnels for the beams. And don't have the bullshit 'we can see every planet like it's right next door" bullshit that Abrams loves for some reason.
>>
>>63895072
Duel of the fates \ Maul fight was iconic and you know it.
>>
>>63902433
The markings were one of my favorite touches of the film. Like, it would have been a huge gaffe in my eyes if they used tally marks.
>>
File: 1415210374461.jpg (12 KB, 172x159) Image search: [Google]
1415210374461.jpg
12 KB, 172x159
>>63902816
Clone wars has been around before Disney bought star wars
>>
>>63902322

Its named after Luke's original last name.
>>
>>63902915
probably because a deathstar is a stupid idea in the first place. aconventional fleet bombardment or even just a really big rock tossed from far away will have more or less the same effect wrt killing everyone on the planet and rendering it unusable afterwards
>>
>>63902227
>>63902475
>Oh the queen got away.
>They're probably heading to Coruscant to tattle on us.
>Let's have our buddies and co-conspirators ambush them in the places they might stop on the way there.

They went to the last planet sorta nearby the Trade Feds would look for them: a Hutt-owned sandball with like two cities.
>>
>>63901694
>Rhen Var
>Nelvaan

Those are still canon, really?
>>
>>63894933
>implying coruscant wasn't under empire rule after all power was given to sheev

why the fuck would they have a rebel senate on a planet taken over and presumably still vital to the emprie
>>
>>63903072
Iconic shit. Qui Gon Who and an irritating and useless Obi Wan vs. some shitty villain that looks like Satan (that means he's a bad guy you should hate him because there's no other given reason to hate him because he is a noncharacter).

No, you dumb homo.
>>
>>63903168
Everyone fucking loves the duel in The Phantom Menace. It's iconic as fuck. Stop being a colossal faggot
>>
>>63902656
I hope he gets thrown in a space well while screaming NOOOOOOooo
>>
>>63903197
Naw. It sucks.

Get bent, queer.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1447543432407.jpg (17 KB, 480x409) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447543432407.jpg
17 KB, 480x409
>>63894678
The whole movie was just a mindless rehash of material from the original trilogy remixed slightly different as its supposed to take place later.

So much wasn't explained after being touched on as well.
>>
>>63902799
>TPM is good
Some memes really need to die.
>>
>>63903289
Now, no need to get mean, but since I kind of agree with you, here's a helping video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>63903289

You bothered?
>>
>>63903372
>>63903289
The quality of it has literally nothing to do with how iconic and popular it is. Fuck off retard.
>>
This thread has made me really, REALLY glad that Abrams won't have any more involvement in the new trilogy. I liked TFA, and I thought it was a good movie, but it couldn't escape Abrams' usual retarded decisions, and that brought it down a little.
>>
>>63903435
It has a little to do with it, since much of its "popularity" is just the fact that people like to make fun of it.
>>
>>63894933

Courscant is independent...of any ruling power. They went the way of Nar Shadda and basically told polities to go fuck themselves.
>>
>>63903435
Stop being mad that your dumb shit scene is only iconically hated, retard.
>>
Star Wars is the least thought-out sci-fi universe out there. You can thank George for this mostly, because he clearly had no idea about the scientific concepts behind lasers, vacuums, gravity, or any of that stuff when he came up with the idea for Star Wars. He just thought "Well, lasers are super cool right? So we should have these light laser beam things shoot out of the guns instead of bullets!"

You can see this fact most clearly in the way that spaceships move through outer space in the original and prequel films.

These bad and inaccurate ideas have persisted throughout the franchise, so it's kind of a moot point to even nitpick it at this point though. Star Wars is the basic bitch of science fiction franchises, it's stupid and dumb making it easily accessible to normal people.
>>
>>63903484
>>63903497
Completely delusional. How out of touch can you be? Is 4chan your only social interaction or something?
>>
Really, the only part of the New Hope 2.0 that bothered me was the finale with Po flying down the trench to shoot the thing, though I'll admit, if the characters weren't as strong as they were, this movie would be kinda meh.
>>63903519
Star Wars is really better off when they go for a more fantasy feel than Sci Fi, which they did some of in TFA.
>>
>>63899815

...ok, /tv/, what if they pull a REAL fuck you to everyone and reveal the planet Luke was hiding on is in fact Earth or called Terra?
IF they did something like that...what would be the reaction?
>>
>>63903142
>Rhen Var
Canon because of the book Tarkin
>Nelvaan
Canon because of pic related
>>
>>63903878
It can't be Earth, dumbass. You get a space view of the planet and it looks completely different.
>>
>>63903878
Can't be. Star Wars is a different galaxy.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.