[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this film so successful? I don't think there would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Titanic_poster.jpg (28 KB, 299x432) Image search: [Google]
Titanic_poster.jpg
28 KB, 299x432
Why was this film so successful? I don't think there would be much hype if it was released today.
>>
It wasn't that successful
>>
It's still not the best Titanic movie.
>>
Marketing, word of mouth, attractive leads, historic event everyone knew about, hit song, love story, action, something for everybody in it. If I had to guess.

I agree though, it wouldn't have been as successful if made today, audiences' tastes have shifted from the kind of 90s appeal Titanic had
>>
I'm also pretty sure there were a ton of delays and screw-ups during the production because it's such a huge-scale movie, so initially people were just curious to see what all the fuss and waiting was for.
>>
little girls

it was the one direction or backstreet boys of its time

Why you think Leo is up to his neck with 18-20 year old model pussy

most of those girls were like 8 when they saw Titanic
>>
>>63892122
The world has shown you time and again that if you appeal to 14 year old confused and horny teenage girls, you will have tremendous success (unless you try to have sex with them obviously).
DiCaprio made Titanic huge. It's a pretty great movie though.
>>
>>63892285
explain yourself
>>
I guarantee that it would do better than the new SW if it was just released now.
>>
>>63892525
A Night to Remember sticks to the facts and is actually more faithful to the story with the exception of the details concerning the sinking itself unknown at the time but it's easy to forget that because it's simply a good movie.
>>
>>63892312
The technical stuff is so great. The ship inner workings, the damage assessment, the consequences.

It's an excellent disaster movie.
>>
>>63892498
Probably because he is basically perfect looking. No homo just jelly.
>>
>>63892498
this is adorable

how many upvotes did this get on reddit?
>>
Womemes.

It's actually essential menwillneverunderstand-core.
>>
>>63892122
Incredible technical achievement is what sold the movie to most people. Building a full scale Titanic replica and sinking it was/is unheard of even today. (not that that is what they did but it's how they advertised it)
>>
File: avatar-poster.jpg (34 KB, 407x604) Image search: [Google]
34 KB, 407x604
Why was this film so successful? I don't think there would be much hype if it was released today.
>>
>>63894029
Everybody was so eager to watch the next James Cameron expecting another Aliens or Terminator. Unfortunately it's not the same old Jim.
>>
File: B_ljt41WwAAdnsw.jpg-large.jpg (37 KB, 640x596) Image search: [Google]
B_ljt41WwAAdnsw.jpg-large.jpg
37 KB, 640x596
>>63894029
>Gorgeous tech demo disguised as a film
>>
>>63894029

This is exactly the kind of shit that gets mega hype these days.

Titanic had many reasons to be a success but not even Jimmy C would have predicted its box office records.
>>
>>63892748
Everything from Titanic '97 that isn't Jack-and-Rose related is pretty much historically accurate.
>>
>>63894107
That's every Jim Cam flam since Abyss.

Pushing tech boundaries on screen, its his thing.
>>
>>63894312
No they mess up some officers and there's no Californian.
>>
>>63892936
>Not mentioning the god tier soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wz1xA5kxVI
>>
>>63894478
>Not available
>>
> if this movie was made today the male lead would be black

> "in a time where their love was forbidden, one man gave love a chance"
> the white captain who is interested in rose discovers their affair and decides to ram against an iceberg
>>
>>63892122
they literally built the ship and sinked it again
>>
>Why was Titanic so successful?

Cameron is a master at building universes. What he's able to do that so few filmmakers can is keep the audience invested in the film's universe. Even after watching the movie, they can imagine themselves in the universe -- not just as the protagonists, but as normal, everyday people who happen to exist within that universe.

This is a tricky sort of thing because you have to get basically everything right: music, cinematography, set design, but also giving the plot enough wiggle room to give some supporting and minor characters full arcs, so that audiences themselves believe that they'll have fully resolved arcs if they were to exist in that universe.

This makes people want to go back, again and again and again, to see it. The same for Avatar.

Would it be as successful if it were released now? If it were comparably as impressive and innovative, I don't see why not. At the very least, it would 100% be a cult classic.
>>
It's really enjoyable. The way he ties various passenger classes and storylines together and sheds light on pretty much every single aspect going on on the ship is amazing.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.