[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kylo Ren was how Anakin should have been portrayed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
Kylo Ren was how Anakin should have been portrayed.
>>
he's too much of a pussy to be the bad dude
>>
Kylo Ren is the exact opposite of Anakin, though. Anakin was an insanely powerful Jedi who wanted to be good but was tempted to evil. Kylo Ren is a really mediocre Sith who wants to be evil but is tempted to be good.
>>
>>63886931
Lol no. Kylo is a weak whiny edgy emo kid, whereas at least Anakin was a strong swordsman and had better powers.

Kylo Ren is discount Anakin Skywalker.
>>
>>63886994
He is pretty fucking powerful, have you watched the film?
>>
>>63887036
>pretty fucking powerful
>gets beat by a girl with less training than him
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6164827
http://strawpoll.me/6164827
>>
>>63886931
kylo ren is how jon snow should have looked like
>>
>>63887066
she would beat yoda vader and palpatine at the same time as she need no man
>>
>>63887036
He was wounded by a nigger with no force abilities and lost to a girl without any training. The guy is a pussy.
>>
Was Kylo Ren just shit or Finn somehow really great at light sabre fighting? Why did it take Kylo so long to win that fight?
>>
>>63887066
I could beat up Jon Jones if I shot him in the stomach first
>>
Am I the only one who thinks Kylo will be more Vader-like when we see him in VIII? He got maimed and scarred in battle against someone he obviously has some history with from Luke's academy and he's going to complete his training with Snoke. I think he'll be a bit less childish when we see him next.
>>
I would prefer an anakin Skywalker who was a genuinely kind person who found himself in over his head with this force stuff and wasn't able to handle it. Obi-wan, being inexperienced as a mentor, could not give anakin the support he needed, so he flips out and/or find that support in Sheev
>>
+1.50$
>>
Why did he keep hitting his wound?
>>
>>63887299

He was wounded
>>
>>63886931
Is that Jon Snow?
>>
>>63887368
to cope with the pain and to help energize him
>>
ONLY A KNIGHT OF REN DEALS IN ABSOLUTES
>>
>>63887006

Kylo Ren is essentially at the same stage in his training as Ani was in Episode II - you know, the one where he lost his lightsaber and got wtfpwned by Dooku.

Once Ren's training with Snoke is complete, he'll be more threatening.
>>
>>63887383
yeah, so? Does being wounded make you unlearn your sword training or so much less powerful in the force that you lose to some shittier medic storm trooper somehow?
>>
>>63887368
to dull the pain
>>
>>63886931
Lol people bitch about CGI and little do they know this entire movie was a CGI fest

That snowy forest? It was all CGI

That long bridge with Kylo and Han? CGI

All the space, flying, X-Wing, Speeder scenes? All CGI

BB8? He was CGI more than he was practical

That desert scene at night with Poe and Kylo? That was filmed on a soundstage. With you guessed it; CGI
>>
>>63887299
Kylo is shit and his emotions blind him.

Also he was shot.
>>
>>63887455
ONLY A MASTER OF DUBS DEALS WITH DUBS ABSOLUTELY.
>>
>>63887486
Findu Nuffin was a janitor, not a medic
>>
>>63887486
>Having a torn up abdomn shouldn't affect your physical capacity
>>>/a/
>>
>>63886994
>Kylo Ren is a really mediocre Sith

He's not a Sith.

>mediocre

He can force-freeze people and even lasers. Never seen Vader do either before.

He is very powerful, quite possibly more than Anakin ever was. What did Anakin ever do with the force that was amazing? Literally what?
>>
>>63887515
And all that CGI works.

Unlike the CGI in the prequels, where it was painful to look at.
>>
>>63887419
>>63887490
How the fuck does hitting a wound make it hurt less?
>>
>>63887006
>weak whiny edgy emo kid,

>still not understanding that letting your anger take over is what a dark sider does to grow in his path

You guys are getting fucking annoying. Kylo lets his rage win, ON PURPOSE. That's where a dark side user finds his energy. It's also why he hits his own wound, he feeds on pain, anger, etc.

Are you all really this retarded?
>>
>>63887343
You really think so?
>>
File: sithlords.jpg (41 KB, 525x413) Image search: [Google]
sithlords.jpg
41 KB, 525x413
>>63886994
>Anakin was an insanely powerful Jedi

Kylo is way more powerful.

>Kylo Ren is a really mediocre Sith

There is no sith after EP6.
Only dark side and First Order.
>>
>>63886994
its like poetry, it rhymes
>>
>>63887622
he wanted to make himself angrier and more dark ride
>>
>>63887545
In the german dub he says he was a medic. Strange.
>>
>>63887066
>gets beat by a girl with less training than him

>wounded by heavy weaponry, as established many times in the film: Chewie's gun blows troopers in the air, Ren doesn't budge

>despite wound, still fights

>gets wounded some more by nig

>ren doesn't actually try to kill Rey, and that's OBVIOUS, and he even SAYS he will train her

Are you fucking dumb?
>>
>>63887515
And it shows, CGI in TFA is fucking awful. Prequels on the other hand did CG right, competent and believable, in most scenes you can't tell where reality ends and starts chroma key
>>
>>63887648
There's a difference between whining and being aggressive and rageful, retard.
>>
>>63887293

Shoot a master swordsmith in the side then challenge him to a duel and see if he does as well as he would normally.

>literally not being able to understand a Disney movie
>>
>>63887036
not compared to masters.
>>
>>63887594
He choked a imperial guy from miles away
>>
>>63887651
Yeah. I mean I could just wait for him to bleed to death if I didn't feel like whacking him while he's crumpled in shock. Getting shot is a pretty serious handicap, it's why they don't allow guns in boxing.
>>
>>63887622
it stimulates the epidermal nerves, which slightly overrides the internal pain.

But I'm pretty sure he was doing it to actually hurt himself more and get angrier.
>>
>>63887701
why would han be mad at him being a medic?
>>
>>63887344
The director of VIII already confirmed Kylo Ren won't be the main villain because of the lukewarm response from the viewers.
>>
>>63887368

That's how a dark sider finds strength in the force: pain, anger, emotions, etc. Hitting his own wound is how he uses his own suffering to feed his power in the Force.

I assumed everyone would get this, because it was actually smart and something we haven't seen until now. Steps into the dark side. And you guys don't even get it.
>>
>>63887748
Well he's trying to become the latter. He's doing his best and he's getting there.
>>
>>63887774
because a medic wouldn't know where the fuck the shield generator is and how to disable it either? The fuck do I know, I'm just telling you that he was a medic in the german dub for some reason.
>>
>>63887787
kylo wasn't white enough, he looked jewish. we need an anglo saxon male villain
>>
>>63887748

Kylo never whines. Destroying stuff to improve raging abilities is 100% connected to dark side use.

>whining is anything I want it to be
>>
>>63887648
Well. Didn't help him much since he lost to a girl with literaly no experience in duelling.
But next time Gadget....
>>
inb4 Hux will become another Sith
>>
>>63886931
>the music is too loud
>>
>>63887759

Uh? When?
>>
>>63887787
you can't write a story worth a damn by what surveys indicate will make the most money. this whole thing is going to be such a shitshow
>>
>>63887731
>model airplanes
>>
>>63886931

Why did they pick someone that looks like that? Seriously, the moment he took off his helmet I wanted him to put it back on. The dude looks like a fucking fag.
>>
>>63887890
That's the point yes
>>
Anikin > kylo

Didn't really like kylo in the film but thinking back he was a good character.

Anikin woud well and truly wreck him though any extra magic powers klyo has are just down to it being a newer film with new ideas
>>
>>63887930
when he was informed the droid escaped with a black male and a white female
>>63887969
thats the point, we have to teach the new generation of white boys to be allies to POC and women and not to think being white is cool
>>
>>63887969
they picked someone who looks like a fag to imply that the character he plays is insecure.
>>
>>63887890
>Didn't help him much since he lost to a girl with literaly no experience in duelling.

Except she showed right at the beginning that she was a martial artist too, remember? She has years of training and using a saber isn't too remote from using a staff. It's also possible that she was one of Luke's students when she was younger, if not his daughter as well.
>>
>>63886931
At least Anakin had reasons for turning evil
>sex with Padme
>bring order to galaxy after a turbulent childhood
>>
>>63888040
>when he was informed the droid escaped with a black male and a white female

We were talking about Anakin.

There are no Imperials in TFA anyway. The Empire is dead.
>>
>>63887622
yo dawg he was just getting hype.
>>
>>63888091
those are reasons to not become a jedi, not reasons to become a genocidal asshole.
>>
>>63888097
you think you are but you're not
>>
>>63887731
Gr8 b8 m8. Definitely an 8.8.
>>
>>63887809
sorry bro, he was just getting hype.
>>
Luke Skywalker is how Anakin should have been portrayed.

A guy mystified by the force, he comes to a cross roads like Luke does in ESB, but when presented with the opportunity, he fails and gives in to temptation. Possibly Padme has some terminal disease and he believes he can save her, but ultimately fails.

The prequels just needed to be higher quality. The high level view of the story didn't really have to change, it's just everything else needed way more effort. Characters, writing, directing, sets, camera work, editing, all of it.
>>
>>63887066
Yes
>>
>>63888159
memes aside the cgi aliens will still age just as bad as TPM did
>>
>>63887368
To remind the audience he was wounded, which explains why he couldn't just squash the peasant girl.
>>
>>63888044
>they picked someone who looks like a fag to imply that the character he plays is insecure.

Yeah, but someone that is still supposed to be a major villain and the son of Harrison Ford? C'mon!
>>
>>63888135
from his point of evil the jedi were view
>>
>>63888311
TPM didn't age badly.
Also TFA will age far worse because the aliens don't have interesting designs, they just look like wrinkly people.
>>
>>63887299

Why are people always critizing this shit?

>Ren was wounded
>Finn got one fucking hit
>Finn is a trained stormtrooper, and his training very likely also included actual melee weapons as TRAITOR trooper showed us
>in V Luke also landed a hit on Vader, it's not something that's totally impossible even if the skills of both fighters are very different

Hell if you want to criticize then mention how Ren didn't use the force against Finn. THAT struck me as weird.
>>
>>63887036
no, he's a pansy faggot
>>
what i liked so much about the character was that he was a sentimental kid who delves into ascetic mysticism to basically become an ubermensch
denying himself sentimentality, using his own pain to draw strength and focus
all while ultimately, he's afraid of not measuring up
>>
>>63888361

It's also BECAUSE THAT'S HOW YOU FEED ON THE DARK SIDE FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

You use pain, suffering, anger, love, emotions, etc, to grow in the Dark Side of the Force. They should give it another name, though, because "Dark Side" sounds like what a Jedi piece of shit would say.

But that's why: maximising gains based on pain.
>>
>>63888525
He was just fucking about with him. Once Finn got a hit in, Kylo instantly turned around ant rekted him.
>>
>>63886994
>Sith
but he's a Ren
>>
>>63887066
Well, she is his cousin, she hadn't been shot by a wookie, and Kylo didn't want to kill her, he wanted to train her.
>>
>>63888525
Probably didn't use the force cause for the first time he actually gets to use his lightsaber to fight someone
>>
>>63888525
>Hell if you want to criticize then mention how Ren didn't use the force against Finn. THAT struck me as weird.

This. My only problem with the movie so far (and that it's episode 4.2).

I'm assuming being wounded makes him too weak to be able to use force freeze and the rest, or that, being a force user, he has an honor code which forces him to duel correctly if someone shows up with a saber.
>>
>>63887368
Are u seriously telling me u don't hit yourself before a big fight for pain gains?
>>
>>63888689

He's fucking pissed and wants to beat someone down with his lightsaber face-to-face. He's not thinking straight.

Just look at how his first reaction when shit goes wrong with his plans is to throw a temper tantrum and slice up the room he's in out of rage.
>>
>>63888689
>oh hi what is this thing called arrogance?
>>
>>63887622
>i've never felt pain in my life: the post
>>
>>63888689
Couple reasons

He was wounded

Mind and judgement was clouded by just killing father.

He knew he was better and this might have been his first lightsaber combat with someone.

He also knew who Finn was and wanted him to know the fear of betraying the First Order.
>>
>>63887731
Gr8 TR8R b8 m8. I r8 8.8/BB-8.
>>
>>63888524
>TPM didn't age badly.
Yeah, it was shit since the beginning.
>>
Anakin was one of the most powerful Jedi who got manipulated into a dark side. Literally a victim- good guy becomes bad and there is no turning back.
Kylo- emo teen shitlord who wants to be like his grandfather- dark and edgY. He is in his puberty phase: ambitious for no reason, got beaten by a girl who discovered she can use force 15 seconds ago, bad relationships with alpha male-dad.

How someone can compare this beta neurotic to Anakin?
>>
>>63886931

He trained under Jedi master Luke Skywalker at Skywalker academy for ten years, then became apprentice to a sith lord.

Yet he loses in a lightsaber duel to a janitor and a 19 year old girl who had literally never heard if the force 48 hours ago and had had no training.
>>
File: Oscar-Isaac.jpg (1 MB, 2055x3000) Image search: [Google]
Oscar-Isaac.jpg
1 MB, 2055x3000
I'm kind of in love with him
>>
>>63888738
>to throw a temper tantrum and slice up the room he's in out of rage.

I too wish he would vent his rage in a less cringy way, but it's part of the Dark Side's way: use your anger, don't repress it. Let it grow.

In retrospect, it's actually weird how Vader is all cool all the time. Anakin was a little bitch but Vader somehow was the coldest mofo ever. It doesn't quite work, or maybe it does.

Ren is way too fucking young, too. I don't know, he doesn't scare me because I've seen his face and found him funny-looking, and we know he doesn't need the mask at all.

Snoke didn't impress me either.
>>
>>63888862
Vader expressed his rage by choking the crap out of people.
>>
>>63888839
>Kylo- emo teen shitlord who wants to be like his grandfather- dark and edgY.

That's you projecting. What about wanting to emulate grandaddy in bringing peace and order to the galaxy through power?

You talk like a Jedi, which makes you a scumbag.
>>
>>63886931
>Han: Bown hair
>Leia: Brown hair
>Anakin; Brown hair
>Kylo: Black hair

So who is Kylo's real father?
>>
>>63888839
>How someone can compare this beta neurotic to Anakin?

>things you never heard until TFA came out

Absolutely pathetic, anon. For over a decade you've been shitting on Anakin, but now that there's a new kid on the block, you pretend you actually like Anakin. Suck my fat cock.
>>
>>63888793
Have you ever been shot before? Did you hit the wound too?
>>
>>63888946
maybe he dyed to match the DARK side
>>
>>63889001
Kylo Ren is Darkseid's son?
>>
>>63888946
It is a manifestation of the dark side CRAAAWLING IIN HIS SKIIIIN
>>
>>63888946
Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.
>>
>>63888839
>Anakin was one of the most powerful Jedi who got manipulated into a dark side. Literally a victim- good guy becomes bad and there is no turning back.
That is fucking stupid. The whole prequel trilogy narrative is encapsulated in the Greedo edit. Lucas wants to eat his cake and have it too: he wants menacing villains and cool anti-heroes, but he wants a literally unbelievably santizied version of them.

>Anakin's selflessness and love of Padme is what actually drove him to the dark side!

It's the movie version of people who unironically say that their biggest weakness is that they're too nice.
>>
>>63888946
>Han: No accent
>Leia: No accent
>Anakin; Course Sand accent
>Kylo: British

Who are the other British characters?
>>
>>63886931
That image looks so cheap
>>
>>63889102
Obi wan, rey
>>
>>63887515

The rathtars were the second worst CGI I have ever seen in a Star Wars movie.

The worst is the arena battle in AOTC once the droids show up. The monsters still look fantastic, the Geonosians look okay, but those droids were composited in pretty much as poorly as possible, probably because they had to compromise in order to get the sheer quantity of droids in the shot.

But those fucking rathtars in TFA look like Doctor Who monsters made on a Doctor Who budget, and it just takes me completely out of the movie.
>>
>>63889102
Captain Phasma
>>
>>63888946
Snape
>>
>>63889102
British was the official language taught to children in Luke's new academy.
>>
>>63887299
If you look closely, you can see Finn never stood a chance.
Kylo let him get up when he had him on the floor, never seemed in that much of a hurry, and the moment Finn got a lucky hit in, he instantly disarmed him and put him in a coma.
>>
>>63889032
it's sad that this could actually be possible.
>>
>>63889082
>but he wants a literally unbelievably santizied version of them.

Then he gets mad when people criticise him and literally turns Anakin into a child-murdering character. When I saw this in 2005, I literally FELT Lucas' balls grow. Literally. I knew he acquired a third testicle the moment he wrote that scene.

My wife, when she saw that scene, her reaction was priceless: "WHAT, NO WAY, WHAT?"

>that precious moment when you're happy that you saw child-murdering activities in a Lucas film
>>
>>63889168

>>63888730
>>
File: 131024981898.jpg (7 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
131024981898.jpg
7 KB, 252x240
>>63889168
>>
>>63889102
>Kylo: British

Kylo wasn't doing a British accent. Adam Driver is American and he was using his regular voice.
>>
>>63888930
>What about wanting to emulate grandaddy in bringing peace and order to the galaxy through power?
Was it at least implied in the movie or are you just imagining things? his only motivation was to find a map, but he made it personal and fucked up. Kylie is good only at two things- being emo and loosing
>>
>>63889164
Ehhhh, I think they were supposed to look a bit weird/cheesy. I mean, they'd be too scary otherwise.
>>
File: 1447073509501.gif (2 MB, 230x175) Image search: [Google]
1447073509501.gif
2 MB, 230x175
>People bitch about Anakin
>"Oh he's too whiny"
>Actually defend Kylo Ren
mrw
>>
>>63888970
>implying Ani's story wasn't the best and most dramatic thing in this franchise
>>
Does anyone have the webm of the fight between kylo and finn?
>>
>>63889343

I mean they look fake as fuck when they're interacting with the real actors. The one that grabs Finn, for instance. The tentacle doesn't look for even a second like it's actually in the scene.

At least Revenge of the Sith nailed its CGI with Grievous and the droids. Did a great job with the clones too.
>>
>>63889333
>Was it at least implied in the movie or are you just imagining things?

This is always why Siths and darksiders want to use the dark side of the Force. it's Fascism VS democracy. Jedi always represent Darksiders in a bad light, but that's to be expected.

Ren's ambitions are much bigger than just accomplishing missions for Snoke.

>loosing

Losing, faggot.
>>
>>63888637
Ren is his name, not his caste or allegiance.

The Knights of Ren are the group pf Luke's apprentices who joined him and now follow him like a posse.

Ren is a name, not a group.
>>
Skywalker Solo
Sky Solo
Kylo

>pottery
>>
>>63889082
Personally I think that Anakin is a metaphor for humanity that is why I sympathize him the most
>>
>>63889492
His real name is Ben Solo
"Ren" is the new "Darth"
>>
>>63889462
>great job with the clones

Yeah ok, bud.
>>
>>63889525
that's a fucking weak reason for you to sympathize with a character

if anything that's disrespectful for humanity
>>
No, Anakin was supposed to be a great Jedi and a "good friend", not an angsty edgelord.

Kylo was good for what he was, but Anakin should have been a good person that went a bit overboard to get the job done.
>>
>>63886994
this
>>
>>63889102
>No accent
You mean American? Don't confuse your lack of culture for a lack of accent, friend.
>>
>>63889593
Wrong mate. Read the novel.

He chose a different name cuz he was ashamed of his parents. The name he chose was Kylo Ren, the group of other Dark Side followers that joined him adopted the Knights of Ren name to signify they are his men.
>>
>>63889673

It should be about how Fascism works better than democracy, the same way the Dark Side works better than the Bright Side.

At some point, sith hits the fan and Anakin should have gone "fuck this, we're getting it done", but it should have been different, not that Padme love story crap. It should have been about how the Jedi and the Republic don't do shit while millions die.
>>
What made Anakin suck as a character, apart from wooden dialog is that we never see him being 'a good friend', ot even likeable at any point. He's a bad apple from the start, a little brat who Obi is often annoyed with, not the noble jedi knight we're told Luke's father was before he turned to the dark side.
>>
>>63886990
exactly
>>
>>63889738
>You mean American? Don't confuse your lack of culture for a lack of accent, friend.

Sick burn.

>>63889781
>Wrong mate. Read the novel.

Why would anyone? Nothing in the novel is canon: it's written for cash only and nobody reads it except virgin homosexuals.
>>
>>63889817

This. As a child, Ani was fine, but then he instantly becomes an unsufferable little piece of shit you want to see slapped again and again.

It was too ridiculous to be admirable. Kylo has way more dignity than Anakin ever had in the prequels. 100% truth, stay mad.

>millennials feel about kylo the way old fucks felt about Anakin

>AHAHAHAHA
>>
>>63889866
>Why would anyone? Nothing in the novel is canon

Wrong again. All media approved by Disney is canon, including the novelizations of the movies.
>>
File: Ow_the_edge-4157.jpg (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Ow_the_edge-4157.jpg
55 KB, 400x400
>>63889793

owtheedge.jpg

>It should be about how Fascism works better than democracy, the same way the Dark Side works better than the Bright Side.
>>
>>63889968

Same was said of the EA before. It never mattered to anybody, and it won't. If it's not in the movie, it doesn't exist. Cold, hard truth.
>>
>>63890000

Quadlord, it's not edgy, it would have been more interesting, more substantial, and it would have made more sense, since Lucas was heavily into politics for the prequels: politics is half of what they talk about in all three movies, so why not keep that theme for the habedig instead of switching to a lame romance that made no sense?
>>
>>63889968

I heard Alan Dean Foster wrote the novel.

Does he actually explain any sort of reason why anything in the movie happens at all? Does he do anything to make any character's motivations consistent?

In short: is the novel better than the shitshow I saw on the big screen yesterday?
>>
File: 1426733248616.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1426733248616.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>63889793
>the same way the Dark Side works better than the Bright Side.

Just because the Jedi Order in the prequels was shit doesn't mean that the Sith or Dark Jedi are any better.
>>
>>63887701
no it does not, do you even now what "sanitär" means? its not "sanitäter" btw
people so retarded they do not even know their own language
>>
>>63890096
> Does he do anything to make any character's motivations consistent?

The character motivations are consistent though. Do you need every thing explained to you like a child?

The only really bullshit thing was Rey being able to Jedi trick someone by experiencing it from Kylo.
>>
>>63886931

Rey was how Anakin should have been portrayed.
>>
>>63889817
>>63889939
Imo Anakin should have been revealed as a high-ranking Jedi knight in the prequels, none of the kid stuff, none of the insecure brat stuff. A very respected jedi with a lot of responsibilities who is seduced by the dark. Also shouldn't have been the main character - it would have been better from Obi's viewpoint.
>>
>>63890251
Anakin should have been revealed as a good friend in the prequels none of that, "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!" bullshit
>>
>>63890146
>Just because the Jedi Order in the prequels was shit doesn't mean that the Sith or Dark Jedi are any better.

It does to me. The Jedi are sexually repressed pansies who are always weaker than the Sith. They're a combination of the worst from Catholicism with the worst from Buddhism: they spend more time meditating than training with a sword. They are virtually useless, like the Republic.
>>
No, Darth Vader is how both Anakin and Kylo Ren should have been portrayed
>>
>>63890079

Revenge of the Sith actually was going to have more to it than just the whole "scared of Padme dying" thing. A lot of scenes were shot, including the beginning of dissent in the senate (Mon Mothma cameo!), more development of the Council's distrust of Anakin and Sheev, a scene where Sheev and Jar Jar are walking together and Sheev sort of thanks Jar Jar for putting him in power, basically just more stuff to foreshadow the GCW and provide Anakin with more reasons to fall.

After principal photography was done, Lucas decided he wanted to focus on the love stuff, and did some emergency reshoots of a few scenes in order to re-focus the movie.

The way it was going to be before the re-shoots could have been interesting, but it also sounds to me like it could have resulted in a very unfocused movie trying to do far too much at once. Could have been better, could have been worse, I guess we'll never know.
>>
>>63889817
>>63889939
>>63890251
>>63890294
He's actually very well done in the clone wars series and even the mini-series. Honestly, after watching them, if I take the series for Anakin's character he is perfectly consistent with everything.
>>
>>63886994
Isn't it pretty acknowledged that Kylo Ren and Snoke aren't Sith though? They're part of some other order of the dark side? Otherwise their names would include Darth.
>>
>>63890339
>After principal photography was done, Lucas decided he wanted to focus on the love stuff, and did some emergency reshoots of a few scenes in order to re-focus the movie.

>Lucas
>Luke ass
>he was the chosen one
>bring balance to the force with a double chin

Fucking hate him.
>>
>>63890378

The amazing thing about The Clone Wars Anakin is that it doesn't overwrite any of the personality traits he has in the prequels, instead opting for expanding him as a character and showing other parts of his personality.

He's still recognizably the Anakin we see in ROTS, but you start to realize that ROTS was a chain of some of the absolute worst days of his life.
>>
>>63890016
Disney put out an official statement for exactly that purpose.

Movies, Clone Wars, Rebels and whatever games and novels come after DIsney bought the rights are all canon. Every single word and dot in them.

Sorry m8

>>63890096
It's actually a bigger cash grab than that. There are a dozen novels, companion books, art books and character stories that deal with the movie and the characters.

A LOT OF ADDITIONAL INFO is in there.

You have the novelization by Foster that explains a ton of the motivations and some of the history.

Then you have "Star Wars The Force Awakens: Before the Awakening" by Greg Rucka, which they call a companion book and it goes into great detail about the whole lives of Poe, Rey and Fin. Once you read it, you will see some of the mary sue shit everyone complains about is explained and makes sense.

and then "The Art Of Star Wars: The Force Awakens" by Phil Szostak has tidbits here and there

Those are directly related to the movie (I've read all of them)

...and then you have the so called "Adventure" novels, which detail with what Han and Chewie, Leia and Luke did in the last twenty years (working on those atm).

..and there are 3 additional books that I am waiting to get, so can;t really tell you anything.

Plus comics, short stories, etc.

You can see how each major character has the 20n year gap filled and all the shit you would expect to be in the movies is in a dozen books.
>>
>>63890378

About to watch the 2003 series, but what's up with the 2008 series? I wasn't even aware there was another. Are they BOTH about the Clone Wars? Retelling the same stories?
>>
>>63890487
>Sorry m8

Bro, Lucas said the same of the EA previously. It didn't matter in the end. Whatever your novel says won't matter if the next movie says otherwise.
>>
>>63889974
>Kylo Ren seeks redemption
>On his knees asking Luke to forgive his betrayal
>Luke begins to offer him forgiveness
>Suddenly Luke is dead, assassinated
>Body crumples
>Ren is left there alone on his knees, screaming as the camera pulls back
>"NO!"
>NOOOOO!!!"
>>
>>63890496

There's separate shows.

The 2003 series is neat, but non-canon.

The 2008 series is fully canon. It starts out bad in seasons 1 and 2, but it gets REALLY GOOD after that.
>>
File: kylowantstobehardcore.jpg (77 KB, 625x428) Image search: [Google]
kylowantstobehardcore.jpg
77 KB, 625x428
>>
>>63890552
>The 2003 series is neat, but non-canon.

What???
>>
>>63890542
All Disney products are internally consistent canonically. Thery are perfectly aware that SW fans are supreme autists and nitpick everything.

I know you are trying to ruse me, but you should really know better m8, that stuff doesn't work on me.

Now, do you have something to discuss?
>>
>>63886994
Anakin was always good.
>>
>>63889102

Kylo was speaking in his normal accent, he didn't sound british at all.

I am British, to me it sounded American.
>>
File: lucille-portable.gif (3 MB, 640x357) Image search: [Google]
lucille-portable.gif
3 MB, 640x357
>>63890304
>he Jedi are sexually repressed pansies who are always weaker than the Sith

Sure you don't want to toss around a few "cucks" in that post, anon?
>>
>>63887066
Its become a Meme that it doesn't matter what Chewie hit Kylo with , he still lost to a girl with no training.
In VIII Chewie will blast Kylo with a fully operational death star and he will still lose to the girl again.
>>
>>63890487
>Then you have "Star Wars The Force Awakens: Before the Awakening" by Greg Rucka, which they call a companion book and it goes into great detail about the whole lives of Poe, Rey and Fin. Once you read it, you will see some of the mary sue shit everyone complains about is explained and makes sense.
>Greg Rucka

Shit, really? I'm going to have to check that out.
>>
>>63890647
>I know you are trying to ruse me, but you should really know better m8, that stuff doesn't work on me.

I wasn't trying to ruse you, and I realise Lucas and Disney are different beasts, so you may be fully correct. Besides, you've done your research and I haven't, and you have convinced me, so I believe you. Thanks.
>>
>>63890758

>rey
>no training

They're doing the KOTOR twist. Rey has already been trained.
>>
>>63890592

The old EU was purged in April 2014 to make room for all of Disney's new stuff.

The only things that survived the purge are the six films of the saga, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars pilot film, and the TV show Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Everything else -- EVERYTHING else -- is gone. Poof. Kaput. It's all been shunted away to the "Legends" publishing label -- non-canon, but still in print because Disney wants your money.

All short stories published since April 2014 are canon.

All novels and chapter books published since September 2014 are canon.

All comics published by Marvel since the start of 2015 are canon.

Video games are in a fuzzy place. We still don't have any that actually have a story, so it's not a big deal. Technology and characters depicted in video games since the purge are canon, so there's that, but events...nothing yet. At least nothing of consequence yet.

And of course Star Wars: Rebels is canon, as are any other future non-LEGO Star Wars TV projects.
>>
>>63890828
Rey is literally a Sith Lord. She will kill Luke and frame Kylo Ren for it after an armistice has been declared. Kylo Ren will basically end up having an entire thing where he has to go underground to fight back.
>>
>>63887036
He's decent in the force, but is a shit fighter.
>>
>>63890886
>We still don't have any that actually have a story,

Old Republic game has stories that span millennia and are fucking complicated. I watched every cinematic of it and cannot summarise it for shits, but it's worth watching.
>>
>>63890784
Yes. Don't expect anything from the writing and you won;t get some big reveals, but you get a lot of character story and history, if you are into that.

Ignore the dumb name as well.
>>
>>63887787
Source?
>>
>>63890981

Old Republic is Legends.

Yes, I'm aware it's still going on and still releasing expansion packs, but TOR's release is pre-purge and its story content is based very heavily on Legends material. Star Wars: The Old Republic is entirely Legends, not canon.
>>
>>63888462
he is literally an underage faggot with daddy issues seduced by giant gollum pedo sith
>>
>>63891011
Trolling Central

Now, straight from JJ's mouth, of course, mandatory vague

>why does Kylo idolize Vader

>“Kylo Ren idolizes Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker. He idolizes what Vader represents and what Vader was trying to do. And the idea that Vader didn’t succeed, if you look at it from Ren’s point of view, he was seduced by the enemy and failed because of that seduction. So the idea is that Ren wants to complete the thing that Vader started.”

>why is he a good villain?

>“An incredible power, an incredible force, and incredible potential that was, like many young people, sort of misguided and unclear. And the story for him is one of conflict, not just internal conflict but external conflict. And it’s what makes him a rather interesting villain.”
>>
>>63890592
>>63890886
Doesn't really matter much for the mini-series, the canon continues as is with or without it.

Ditto for stuff like republic commando - that it's not canon doesn't really matter.
>>
They didn't use Kylo to his full potential.

Int he beginning he has a great introduction. He can paralyze people and stop blaster bolts in mid air, holy shit. Later on he shows the ability to read minds. Holy shit again.

After that he uses the mind reading once, which gets countered. He uses the paralyze effect once. He never sues the blaster shot protection, he even takes a shot to the gut.

Finally, in the only battle we see him participate, he is wounded and fighting on way below full capacity, gets wrecked by one non-jedi and a not yet 1 day old jedi.

We never actually see him fight or use his force powers to his full capacity. I would have added a scene where he stops like 10 blaster bolts in the air or something, to give the "holy shit this guy is strong" feel and force the heroes to be clever in beating him.
>>
>>63891152
>An incredible power, an incredible force, and incredible potential that was, like many young people, sort of misguided and unclear. And the story for him is one of conflict, not just internal conflict but external conflict. And it’s what makes him a rather interesting villain.

So many words that mean absolutely fucking nothing.

>Why is he a good villain
>He has conflict!
>What kind of conflict
>Internal and External conflict!
>And he's powerful and shows lots of force!

Uh yeah, and?
>>
File: anakin boss.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
anakin boss.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>63887594
Anakin was more focused on being a sweet swordfighter, I'm sure he didn't really need any amazing feats of the Force when he was just cutting everyone down. If you really want one he the Ones.

I'm sure he'd Kylo Ren in a duel.
>>
>>63891152
favorite scene
>>
Does Snoke wield any real power? Han said that he was just using Kylo, as he lacked any power of his own.

I think Snoke is probably about 4 foot tall.
>>
>>63891152
Why doesn't Anakin just talk to his grandson?

his grandson is force sensitive and Anakin is a force ghost

Also
>what vader was trying to do
Holy shit Kylo wants to save padame too?
>>
File: 1389153297372.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1389153297372.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>63890828
>>63890915
>All of the Non-canon EU "Legends" are reduced to material that Disney can use for their movies.

This is hell.
>>
>>63890399
yeah, thats interesting
>>
>>63891266

He has a lot of intimate knowledge of the Force and the Empire and its history. That knowledge and the ability to use it to manipulate people is pretty fucking powerful in and of itself.
>>
>>63891169

Delta Squad got a cameo in The Clone Wars, so their existence is actually canon.

None of their adventures are, but they might as well be for all they matter to anything else. RC was very good about being self-contained.

The Republic Commando novels, on the other hand, are NOT very good about being self-contained, and have been heavily overwritten by the big Mandalore retcon in TCW.

You're right-ish about the micro-series. For now. The micro-series fits in AROUND the existing episodes of TCW fairly well, split so that season one and the beginning of season two happen before TCW, and the rest happens after.

Originally, TCW was going to run for at least 8 seasons and run right up to, through, and past Revenge of the Sith, showing the events surrounding it from the perspectives of other characters, as well as exploring its immediate aftermath. There is still an official The Clone Wars Legacy project that has released and canonized unfinished story reels of episodes, and many of the unproduced episodes have been adapted in the comic book Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir and the novel Dark Disciple. TCW Legacy works ARE considered canon, and more may be released in the years to come.
>>
>>63891213
That's why poeple hate JJ.

>>63891280
>Why doesn't Anakin just talk to his grandson?

He has to be taught the ability, remember Yoda told Obi-Wan at the end of Ep. 3 something like "your old teacher has learned how to talk to us from the other side, I'll teach you how to commune with him"
>>
>>63890378
He is still a hamfisted character in these...and the miniseries are cringeworthy
>>
>>63891280
That's actually a good question, would they have Hayden come back to speak with him or the original actor that was the one that had the mask taken off of him?
>>
>>63891295
Disney is now that guy that won't invite you to their party, but will take your beer.
>>
>>63891354
>That's why poeple hate JJ.

I love the movie, it's just I don't understand how the lead director can be so bad about explaining his own work.
>>
>>63890399
AFAWK they are just Dark Jedi of another persuasion different from the Sith.
>>
>>63891354
Anakin appears at the end of RotJ, remember?
>>
>>63891152
>He idolizes what Vader represents and what Vader was trying to do.

Uh, what would that be exactly?

Let's break it down.

Anakin became Vader to save his family.
But Kylo kills his father.

Vader didn't choose to be Palpatine's enforcer, he did it because he had nowhere else to go and Palpatine literally put him in a life support suit.
Kylo does have a choice to serve or not serve Snoke and he can fuck off at any time.

Vader was also not particularly meditative or interested in acquiring raw power, he was basically just moping around choking people since he was super pissed his wife died.

The only actual agenda Vader had that was his own was to turn Luke in some misguided effort to "help" what's left of his family achieve what he couldn't.

That's literally it.

The only possible angle they could go for (which relies heavily on the prequels) is that Vader getting crippled meant he couldn't discover that secret of life creation that Palpatine was proabably lying about.
So if that's true and Snoke is maybe to weak to achieve it on his own Kylo might be groomed to get his power level up so much that he can create life himself.

But that would be leaning onto prequel stuff too much and they're avoiding that in the new movies.

Other than that I have no idea what Vader "started". He was basically an underling obeying orders his entire life.
>>
>>63886931
>Kylo Ren was how Anakin should have been portrayed.

>adam diver
>acting

Anon, take a long look at your life and kill yourself for posting on this board.
>>
Fucking Rey and Kylo actors are uggos, I'm from /pol/ and yet I have to say Finn is better looking than the two.
>>
As someone who hasn't seen the movie, how is the sword fighting in TFA? Fast and stupid like the prequels? Slow and cinematic like the originals? "Authentic" as in using actual medieval fighting styles?
>>
File: 1449260391516.jpg (31 KB, 390x382) Image search: [Google]
1449260391516.jpg
31 KB, 390x382
>his body was hurt and still tried to have a lightsaber duel with finn and rey
>not just using the force against them since one of them couldn't use the force and the other had no training at all in the force
>>
>>63891266
>>I think Snoke is probably about 4 foot tall.
Confirmed ~7 feet tall, a big guy, but not a giant.
>>
>>63891389

Because there's nothing to explain.

It's the JJ Abrams Mystery Box.

The secret is that there's nothing in it.

He can't explain it because there's nothing there to begin with. He never put that much thought into it.
>>
>>63891361
>Kylo learns to talk to force ghost
>All 4 of the force ghosts come out and start talking to Kylo
>They tell Kylo that Luke just went mad one day and tried to kill them
>Scene changes
>The force ghosts won't shut up
>Kylo ends up killing Snork Snuck Skittles while trying to kill the force ghosts
>The force ghosts fuck off and Kylo gets his redemption and has drinks with Luke
>>
>>63891210
prequel babby detected
>>
Holy shit /tv/ is fucking stupid. Can't you monkeys pay attention to a movie for one fucking second?

>Durr Kylo jobbed hard when a little girl beat him xD
When he was shot in the fucking chest right after killing his father. With a high fucking impact weapon too. And he just stood there and took it, didn't even move an inch when others have been blasted 10 feet away. Plus he fights off Finn pretty easily while wounded anyway. Finn only gets one lucky hit in and that's about hit. He then gets bodied by Kylo. A Kylo who isn't even a full fledged sith lord anyway.

Then Kylo wasn't even trying to kill Rey while Rey was trying to kill him. He saw the potential in her and tried to get her to quit the fight so he can train her. But she wouldn't relent and tried to go for the kill. Even then she wasn't even able to kill the dude.

Secondly, Rey may not be trained in light saber combat but she is competent in combat. She regularly beats down sand niggers on Jakku and you faggots act like she has no experience in combat whatsoever.
>>
>>63891353
It wasn't Delta Squad, just lookalikes.
>>
>>63891389
Isn't it intentional? To keep the suspense?

>>63891405
Yeah that kinda clashed with the whole idea of getting taught. J\No idea how to deal with that inconsistency.

Only Luke could see them tho, right?

>>63891434
I agree with your analysis

>Other than that I have no idea what Vader "started".

No one does. I have spidey sense telling me JJ has no idea either, it's just a nice line for the trailer...
>>
>>63891434

The only thing I can possibly imagine when I wrack my brain as hard as I can is that he means he wants to totally exterminate every last Jedi.

"Well congratulations. You made yourself dark. What's the next step of your master plan?"
"Finishing what Vader started...WITH NO SURVIVORS!"
>>
>>63891471
He paints a general picture of Kylo in a few words for a fluff piece, if you can't figure out what he means after watching the movie you're probably retarded
>>
>>63891455
a mix of prequel and sequel
lots of spins and unnecessary moves but it's slow like the OT
>>
>>63891455
More 'authentic'. The sabers have weight to them like in the OT, the characters aren't doing prequels spins and jumping around.
>>
>>63891551

No, it's officially confirmed to be Delta Squad. Dave Filoni insisted on putting them in there as a reference to RC. They are supposed to be the same Delta Squad.
>>
>>63891458

In case you haven't noticed, Kylo Ren is a shit, and the whole powerful intimidation persona he put on was an act to hide his deep, deep inferiority complex. When his plans go all pear-shaped he doesn't know how to deal with it and just takes out his anger on Finn and Rey, wanting to beat them personally to prove to himself that he's better.
>>
>>63886931
>Adam driver is 6'2
thought jew jew picked some 5'7 manlet to play the villain
>>
>>63891588

Let's assume I'm retarded then. Since you apparently get it, YOU explain it to me.
>>
>>63891455

Faster than OT's fights for the most part, but without the wire-fu acrobatics.
>>
>>63891604
When do they spin?
I thought Kylo was going to be a spinning backflipper kind of deal like Darth Maul, but I was actually glad he didn't do all of that flashy stuff, but just fought with the sword.
>>
>>63891455
Kylo has Vader's slow and powerful swings, Rey is like Luke if he stayed around for atleast another hour of training.
>>
>>63890886

2003 Clone Wars became non-canon when ROTS came out, I think. Definitely non-canon once 2008 CW started.
>>
>>63891694

He sure liked to spin with that sword against Finn. And twirl it one-handed.
>>
>>63891434
Anakin/Vader want to rule the galaxy and create a "perfect" world.
>>
>>63891639
They aren't called Delta Squad, their names aren't used. It isn't DS no matter what someone behind the scenes said.
>>
>>63891471
Man, I have been trying to find the video of Lindeloff explaining his box approach to some film students.

Basically
>bait them with a box, the box is empty, but only you know that, the viewers will be lured by the mystery

queue: Star Trek red matter, Mission Impossible rabbit's foot, 99% of LOST

I do try not to curse, but fuck those guys
>>
>>63891702
the 2003 show was canon until the 2008 show came out
>>
File: 1449308377219.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1449308377219.png
296 KB, 649x649
>HOW CAN REY EVEN WIN AGAINST HIM, HOW WAS THIS POSSIBLE
>When Kylo was wounded and Rey very blatantly has combat experience several times in the movie.

I invite you guys to explain exactly why Rey wouldn't be able to fight him.
>>
>>63889389
here is your reply an hour later.
>>
>>63891675
He's conflicted because he tries to force himself into an idealized, unrealistic image of his grandfather.
>>
>>63891806
>Rey very blatantly has combat experience several times in the movie.

name literally one time, reddit
>>
>>63891702

Parts of season two were overwritten by the novel Labyrinth of Evil, but no, it was still mostly canon until the Disney buyout.

They retconned it so that all the season 1 stuff happens in the first few months of the war, so Anakin's knighted only a few months after Geonosis.

And even in the Star Wars: Republic comic books, Ventress survived her fall on Yavin.

TCW overwrote the Republic comic books very rapidly with reckless abandon, but left the old 2003 series intact for the most part. Lucas personally very much liked the 2003 show and didn't want to interfere with it much.
>>
>>63891806
rey had no experience using a lightsaber
she should only be good with a staff lightsaber
>>
>>63891569
He was the CHOSEN ONE. Plus Obi-Wan and Yoda probably helped him out. I'm sure it wasn't and wouldn't be too difficult for him if he tried it again.
>>
>>63891787

Dave Filoni is literally the director of TCW. He's the man in charge of the whole show. Lucas, as executive producer, is the other guy in charge, and together they are THE authority on TCW.

Dave Filoni says it's Delta Squad.
>>
>>63891806
>why should the guy who can throw people flying with a flicker of his wrist be able to win that
>>
>>63891434

Bringing peace and order to the galaxy.
>>
>>63891694
I think the spinning and jumping could work for some characters, like if they're really 'high level' or have a very distinct look and weapon design like Darth Maul. In my head the reason why the jedis in the prequels are doing all of that shit is because they're much better trained and powerful than the jedis that come later.

Darth Maul doesn't look retarded doing his spins and backflips because his weapon is a staff. But in general if the fights are too choreographed and flashy like in the prequels it takes you out of them and removes all tension.
>>
>>63891857

She beats up some guys on Jakku with a pole.

And...uh...
>>
>>63891900
It's only Delta Squad in Filoni's headcanon. In actual canon that matters it can't be proved that it is Delta Squad.
>>
>>63891880
I mean, you need to be taught to see them and talk to them. Kylo doesn't have that.

If they somehow retcon it by using his special dark powers and he actually talks to Anakin that would be amazing
>>
>>63891806
>posting stills from meme facebook-core music videos
>>
>>63891719
He was trying to be cool and show off. When Finn manages to get a hit on him he stops prancing around and slashes him.
>>
>>63891972

I have a suspicion the "temptation of the light" is actually Anakin trying to talk him down.
>>
File: delta.jpg (182 KB, 742x1162) Image search: [Google]
delta.jpg
182 KB, 742x1162
>>63891900
>>63891967
God damn it guys, Delta Squad is canon, but the things they did outside of Clone Wars series are not.

Pic related.
>>
>>63891569
I think they only appear to those they choose to show themselves to.
>>
File: latest[1].png (411 KB, 410x546) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
411 KB, 410x546
>>63891880
There is no fucking chosen one. That's just some ancient religion bullshit.
>>
>>63891944
>In my head the reason why the jedis in the prequels are doing all of that shit is because they're much better trained and powerful than the jedis that come later.
George explicitly states in a featurette that this is the exact reason, so well done my friend.
>>
File: 1389345531625.png (55 KB, 380x286) Image search: [Google]
1389345531625.png
55 KB, 380x286
>>63892036
Holy shit you just blew my mind, I never considered that.
>>
>>63891972
I'd love a Hayden cameo for this reason.

>>63892036
That sounds awesome.
>>
>>63892055
Those names WERE NOT USED. THEY WERE NOT CALLED DELTA SQUAD IN CLONE WARS.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.