[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pic related is the reason anyone gives a shit about star wars.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: esb.jpg (2 MB, 2880x2160) Image search: [Google]
esb.jpg
2 MB, 2880x2160
Pic related is the reason anyone gives a shit about star wars. It elevated scifi to a whole new level, then rotj came and crashed it back down
Let's talk about how amazing empire is and how amazingly shitty every scene without the emperor in jedi is
>>
>It elevated scifi
It barely even counts as scifi. Idiot.
>>
File: 1440608060284.jpg (184 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1440608060284.jpg
184 KB, 500x370
>>63872811
>star wars
>barely scifi
>>
>>63872776
>empire
>elevated scifi to a whole new level
LMFAO

empire is a 2h toy commercial. It had the most iconic moment from the OT, but every patrician knows ANH is the best star wars film
>>
>star wars
>sci-fi
>>
>>63872776
>>63872916
Star Wars is Science Fantasy, not Science Fiction.
>>
>>63873411
Fuck off, Yoda training Luke is the spiritual heart to star wars you mega pleb.
>>
>>63873561
>Fuck off, Yoda training Luke is the spiritual heart to star wars you mega pleb.
The fag you're replying to is a contrarian loser, but lets be honest here. The only reason Yoda exists is because Alex Guiness who play Obi-Wan wanted to be killed off in the very first film.
>>
>>63873604
And they came up with something better to replace him. What's your point?
>>
>>63873820
>And they came up with something better to replace him. What's your point?
>something better to replace
This entirely subjective, so I'm not gonna argue my opinion that I think a human actor is always better than a puppet, especially in Star Wars, but what the objective flaw is that if they were just going to fall back on Yoda anyway, they should have used him in the very first movie.
>>
>>63872776
>Let's talk about how amazing empire is and how amazingly shitty every scene without the emperor in jedi is
this is so very true. really disconcerting when it keeps cutting from the based throne room scene to the teddy bear stormtrooper massacre. I do love the Endor space battle tho. Probably my favorite one in all of SW
>>
>there are people who don't like Jabba's palace or the Sarlacc pit scenes

Only the Ewoks ruin Return Of the Jedi, and even then, it's still significantly better than Force Awakens.
>>
>>63872776
Seriously OP it's not like we're talking about Wrath of Khan here. Empire isn't that great.
>>
>>63874035
>Only the Ewoks ruin Return Of the Jedi
and how the plan to rescue han makes no sense
and how the empire are portrayed as weak bitches who get destroyed by primitive midget monkeys
and how han's character arc was complete in the last movie and now he is boring as fuck
and how the emperor is so stupid he sent the rebels to the actual generator and not someplace else
and how the luke-obiwan conversation is prequel tier
and how the luke-vader conversation before taking luke to emperor is prequel tier
and how han takes cover in front of a door for 40 minutes
>>
>>63872776
>le Rotj sucks maymay
>>
>>63873505
it's space opera, which is science fiction. It has some fantasy elements but not WH40K levels of fantasy elements to the point where it's obviously science fantasy. It's still almost all science fiction except for maybe the inclusion of the force which is more or less magic unless you count midichlorians.
>>
>>63874169
The biggest problem is how the rebels still defeat the empire forces despite the emperor being prepared for them. The movie makes the emperor look incompetent as fuck.
>>
I dont get why this one is held in such high regard. A New Hope is a complete story with solid arcs for everyone all around, in Empire Strikes Back barely anything actually happens and it just ends.
>>
>>63874332
Over confidence is the Sith's weakness.
>>
File: 1425194177840.jpg (61 KB, 509x509) Image search: [Google]
1425194177840.jpg
61 KB, 509x509
>>63874436
>in Empire Strikes Back barely anything actually happens
>>
>>63874483
wow, you sure showed me
>>
>>63874277
It's hardly science fiction at all when the plot isn't revolved around how science drives and explains everything happening in the movie.
>>
Empire has three good parts: the Hoth battle, the Yoda scenes, and the lightsaber duel. Whereas in the original SW, every scene is classic.

Empire doesn't work as a stand alone movie. A New Hope does.

Why do redditors insist that Empire is better? It's not "dark" unless you're 8 years old.
>>
>>63874449

Your faith in your friends is yours.
>>
>>63873604
>contrarian loser
hello reddit

damn oh gosh or darn everyone is such a fucking contrarian amirite??
>>
>>63874649
Being classic doesn't mean anything
Working as a standalone movie doesn't mean anything
Trying to call people who like ESB more redditors doesn't mean anything

You sure have some hot opinions
>>
>>63874436
>in Empire Strikes Back barely anything actually happens

that's why the new movie is so fucking misguided.

the best Star Wars movie consists of the heroes just running away all movie and then Luke finding out Vader is his dad, then they run away some more and it end.

they should have realized that they didn't need to put a new Death Star into TFA for it to work, but just make the characters and story work. but they didn't trust themselves.
>>
File: 1434790050205.png (810 KB, 451x618) Image search: [Google]
1434790050205.png
810 KB, 451x618
>>63874656
B-but I don't have any f-friends...
>>
Can we stop calling the movie Star Wars by its new imposed name "a new hope"?
>>
>>63872776
anywhere to watch EP 7 online?
>>
>>63874718
But how does that make it the best? That's my point in saying a new hope is better because its more of an actual story
>>
>>63872776
I rewatched this and ANH yesterday.
ANH was shit, but a huge leap in quality was evident within the first 5 minutes of ESB.
>>
>>63874649
>a new hope is older therefore more of a classic therefore better
>a new hope works as a standalone movie because it was supposed to be one therefore its better
>empire strikes back is a sequel therefore worse
your reasoning is so piss poor you might just be autistic
>>
>>63874877
>ANH was shit
>huge leap in quality evident within first 5 minutes of ESB

It sounds you are only looking at it from a purely visual perspective. I enjoy both films equally but you're being a bit too harsh on IV there.
>>
>>63874958
Purposefully being dense in order to not have to actually refute the points I made. Nice.
>>
>>63875275
there is nothing to refute. ahn is more of a classic and it works better standalone. but neither of those things automatically make it better

you're the one who's being dense here
>>
>>63875217
No, I mean the writing.
Episode 4 had great visuals.
>>
>>63875337
I thought you meant from how much more crisp the quality is. But yeah the writing is better since they actually had a screenwriter for ESB.
>>
>>63875517
ANH had a screenwriter.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.