[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars The Force Awakens shatters the Friday opening day record
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: darthvader_money1[1].jpg (91 KB, 580x242) Image search: [Google]
darthvader_money1[1].jpg
91 KB, 580x242
>With just the single-day numbers from Friday and Thursday previews, The Force Awakens has already taken over the all-time December opening weekend record from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey which stood at $84.6 million
>The movie has crossed $250 million worldwide in just 3 days from wednesday to friday
>It is now almost a certainty that The Force Awakens will get the new opening weekend record, with Analysts predicting an opening weekend ranging from $235-307 million

JAMES CAMERON BTFO

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4133&p=.htm
>>
File: 1429221204690.jpg (11 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
1429221204690.jpg
11 KB, 228x221
>>
File: Disney_logo[1].png (88 KB, 3968x1686) Image search: [Google]
Disney_logo[1].png
88 KB, 3968x1686
>cue "we're in the money".mp3
>>
File: laughingsheev.gif (466 KB, 400x168) Image search: [Google]
laughingsheev.gif
466 KB, 400x168
>>
This movie was making $250 mil the first weekend no matter what.

I predict is a 65% drop for week 2. This movie will have no legs.
>>
There are already threads about this subject. In future, please look for an existing thread to post in before making a new thread.
>>
>>63850663

there isn't, faggot
>>
>>63850572
>no legs
Dude this will make a billion a week. There's nothing to stop it
>>
>>63850663
Kill yourself.
>>
>>63850572
It has zero competition and like two holidays to get through, space smurfs are over
>>
>>63850572
>no legs
You may have down syndrome.
>>
>>63850710

so it will, and then what? it will lose steam really fast and maybe, just maybe make $2 billion worldwide.

All the movies on the all-time record list never had huge opening weekends, they were all drawn out over time, hell Avatar even had an increase from first week to second week
>>
"It'll bomb b-because black people!!!"

-/pol//sp/ed/b/di/tv/
>>
>>63850704
You can't find a thread about Star Wars: The Force Awakens on /tv/ right now?

Are you mentally impaired?
>>
>>63850812
>maybe, just maybe make $2 billion worldwide
>already projected to make over 3 billion
You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1321770974542s.jpg (8 KB, 251x189) Image search: [Google]
1321770974542s.jpg
8 KB, 251x189
They can't keep fucking getting away with it
>>
>>63850838

this movie is about Star Wars' box office numbers, there is no other thread on /tv/ about it right now

>b-but all star wars discussion should be contained in one single place!

fuck off, this isn't reddit where you have your subreddits
>>
>>63850896

*this thread
>>
>>63850878
>thinking Star Wars will make more money than Avatar

Come back in a month anon so we can prove how wrong you are
>>
>>63850812

didn't Avatar have the biggest opening weekend for a movie that was an original IP and not a remake, reboot or sequel? (something around $90 million)
>>
who /btfo/ here?

n-not me that's for sure
>>
>>63850944
>avatar's record is untouchable

if this doesn't break it what will?
>>
>>63850449
It's only going to get worse.

The movie proves how well it can work to take a franchise and advertise it on the scale of governement propaganda.

We'll increasingly see less spent on film making and more on film selling. Same thing that's killing video games.
>>
>>63851093

>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 800x598
>>63851201
>>
>>63851201

this has been happening for years though mate, why the big alarm now? the era in Hollywood where moviegoers were treated like juvenile adolescents and they lapped it all up.
>>
>>63850896
You can talk about a movie's box office numbers in a thread about that movie. The fact that this thread only got 25 replies in half an hour is proof that this topic didn't need it's own thread.
>>
>>63851528

>25 replies in 30 minutes is too slow

go back to /v/, /v/ermin
>>
File: okay.jpg (155 KB, 935x720) Image search: [Google]
okay.jpg
155 KB, 935x720
I told the ticket ripper this afternoon we were making box office history and all she did was nod.
>>
>>63851463
It's not that it hasn't been happening, it's that this is indicative of how bad it's going to get.

They could have cut the filming budget in half, or lower, and they'd still get these same absurd numbers.

Everyone I talk to has told me how ridiculously good it was, that people were crying in the theater. All while it's very average and predictable.

They're blinded by hype. The marketing works, people's perceptions are heavily shaped by social pressures.
>>
>>63851661

did you give her a tip at least?
>>
>>63851728

I guess so but I feel like I already knew how bad it was going to get after years of the Avengers and endless superhero movies that everyone flocks to, and something like Jurassic World which is genuinely a horrendous piece of garbage. I haven't seen Star Wars and I don't really care to but I'm guessing it's at least slightly better than Jurassic World which is basically unwatchable

anyway, I agree with your sentiment. it's hard to see how Hollywood could ever go back from this
>>
>>63850449
>JAMES CAMERON BTFO
jurasic world premier this year and made a lot of bank too

lets compare tfa turd with this other turd instead
>>
>>63851831
No, that's just a 4chan meme.
>>
>>63850572
>no legs
Winter.
>>
>>63851881
I think he meant a tip as in money.
>>
>>63851900

If winter is such a prime season for these types of movies, why do they almost NEVER release these types of movies in winter?

The only reason TFA was released in December was because Avengers 2 was already set for May 2015.

And Ep VIII is set for May 2017.
>>
Whoa... Its made a quarter of a billion in two days....
>>
>>63851970

that's actually not true

you see as Hollywood has been getting progressively more awful and audiences have become juvenile enough to only enjoy children's movies, the concept of the summer blockbuster has been getting progressively stretched out. soon these movies will come out all year, every month will be fair game for this kind of horseshit. the old concept of the Oscar season after the Summer Blockbuster period of fun will be eroded until it disappears
>>
>>63850449
So, the cash confirms my experience, it was nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63850449
It's too much money too quick. This movies setting records because star wars, it has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. Not to say avatar was good or anything, but these records being shattered only prove how people are fucking sheep to marketing.
>>
>>63850572
Dude Avatar didn't even make 250$ world wide til it's 3rd weeks and TFA has made that in its 2nd day.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 569x802
>>63850663
You're an optimistic guy
>>
>>63851236

Avatar literally only did well because of the 3D gimmick.

Nobody is going to give a shit about the story.
>>
>>63851236
Except no one cares about it anymore. 3D is almost universally hated
>>
>>63852211
(sqrt(16))you
>>
>>63851661
>didn't rip his own ticket
confirmed idiot
>>
>>63851728
>they didn't ACTUALLY like it, they're just stupid!

this is what fedora-tier contrarians actually believe
>>
>>63852748
Nobody made fun of the prequel movies 'til a good couple of months after they came out. Fucking everyone loved the phantom menace.
Look.where we are now.

The most offensive thing about these new movies though is how not bad not good they are. They are forgettable and that's worse than being comically bad
>>
>>63850878
>>already projected to make over 3 billion

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Who told you this?
>>
>>63852927
>Nobody made fun of the prequel movies 'til a good couple of months after they came out. Fucking everyone loved the phantom menace.
Oh, the delusion.
>>
>>63850572

The majority of my friends (who are honest plebs) are saying they're going to wait after the first week for the crowds to die down to see it. I know I'm going to see it again next week. It's going to make a lot more money than you're expecting
>>
>>63853163
>anecdotal evidence

And all of my friends have already seen the movie and aren't going again.
>>
>>63853137
They did though.
I'm not saying they're good. I'm saying faggot retards bought into marketing and said the clone wars was actually good
>>
>>63853207
literally no one will believe what you're saying
>>
>>63853163
>waiting a week to see it again
>not seeing it for a third time tomorrow

Kill yourself, my man.
>>
Avatar didn't get enough hype at the first week, but slowly got really small decline a week after week because of word of mouth and groundbreaking 3D experience, even though the film itself is forgettable.

Star wars held that huge number because of the hype, but nothing groundbreaking. Time will tell if it can hold the hype longer just like Avatar on the second week and week after that
>>
even my pleb mom was disappointed
'i was expecting something big that never came' 'wait isn't it the same thing as the other movie?'
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.