[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would anyone like to have a serious discussion about this movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: thumbnail_21381.jpg (35 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_21381.jpg
35 KB, 640x360
Would anyone like to have a serious discussion about this movie without all the

>le worse than prequels XD
>le Glib facsimile XD

I felt that it was probably a 7.5/10 overall. Ill have to watch it again to be sure and let it sit with me for a while. My initial pros and cons are:

>PROS
>actually felt like a star wars film (much more so than prequels)
>great blend of cgi and practical effects without relying too much on either
>well done and entertaining action sequences
>great pacing
>plot structure parallels new hope without being predictable or boring
>fantastic sets
>original characters were implemented well

>CONS
>clunky sometimes awkward dialogue
>new characters felt kind of bland, lacking in character compared to the old cast
>felt like it took on more than it needed to in one film (they travel to a lot of settings and places making the movie feel like it jumps around to much)
>shoehorned in last 5 minutes to b8 audience for next film
>>
>>63850318
glib facsimile
>>
>>63850318
>Ill have to watch it again to be sure

good goy
>>
>>63850318
>7.5/10 overall
all this means is that you were satisfied but not blown away. which given the head start a Star Wars film has isn't exactly impressive, is it?
>>
>>63850318
> great pacing

Thats funny because others who loved it say that's its greatest fault. Especially the part with StarKiller Base
>>
>>63850318
>(they travel to a lot of settings and places making the movie feel like it jumps around to much)

I actually felt the other way around. They spend too much time on that jungle planet with orange Yoda.
>>
>>63850318
>>new characters felt kind of bland, lacking in character compared to the old cast
Lol. The old characters were pretty bland mate, not including Solo and Vader.
>>
>>63850318
>great pacing
you think so?
to me it felt to rushed. I was hoping for a moment when the movie would slow down for some character development, bonding, backstory talk etc.
>>
>>63850400
I havent been blown away by a star wars film since I was 8. Going back and watching the orginial trilogy, they're not really mind blowing either. Nostalgia fags will always hail the orginial films as some sort of holy grail no matter what.

And anyways a 7.5 is a 7.5. It doesn't matter what series you're discussing.
>>
>>63850519
>>63850438
I never felt bored. They achieved a perfect balance between action and resting imo. Didnt waste too much time with either
>>
>>63850483
>c3p0
>r2
>yoda
>princess leia
>the emporer
>no character
Nice ruse
>>
Question that planet they blew up it wasn't coruscant right?
>>
I liked it for the most part but having a 3rd Deathstar made me sigh in disappointment. Having another Deathstar in the next star wars movie was supposed to be a joke. They were not actually supposed to do it.
>>
>>63850318
this is mostly accurate.
however a few things:
>pacing.. pacing was good for the first half and then it went too fast
>original characters implemented well.. apart from Luke as you say in cons
>rey's untrained force and lightsaber abilities are BS. this totally breaks from pretty much all the other movies
>>
>>63850809
No. They blew up 5 planets I think. They were unimportant planets full of plebs
>>
>>63850809
The Hosnian system, I think, not Coruscant.
>>
>>63850318
The dialogue was miles ahead of a New Hope, and the characters were all great. The main issue with the film is how similar it is to the original trilogy not just in tone in style (which is fine), but in plot. It's basically just a remake.
>>
>>63850580
The pacing is too fast. It's one of the main reasons it's a hollow, forgettable movie.
>>
Why would I want to discuss this with you when you can barely even explain why you like it without garbage meme text arrows?
>prosnconsxD

Just do the locals a fucking favor and go home already
>>
>>63850848
>rey's untrained force and lightsaber abilities are BS. this totally breaks from pretty much all the other movies

OP here. I agree. Im hoping that the current theory going around
>Rey wasLuke's padwan who got sold into slavery when Kylo turned
>had her memory wiped or something

It would explain her flashbacks when she touched lukes lightsaber and explain why she picked up the force so quickly
>>
>>63850880
It was better that way. How best to reassure jaded fans who were burnt by the prequels than mirroring the classic film beat by beat?
>>
File: 1431839921734.jpg (40 KB, 525x314) Image search: [Google]
1431839921734.jpg
40 KB, 525x314
>Be legendary Sith Knight
>get rekt by a literally who that never even used a lightsaber

Well memed, you go girl!
>>
>>63850483

This, although Luke gets interesting by Empire and Leia by ROTJ. Hopefully they expand on the characters in the next movie, especially Poe with his whole ten minutes of screen time.
>>
It's a 4.5/10. Shit film
>>
time to rate them all

tpm: 3.5/10
aotc: 0.5/10
rots: 2/10
anh: 8/10
esb: 8/10
rotj: 6/10
tfa: 7.5/10

surely someone agrees with me
>>
>>63850916
Its a fucking pros and cons list man. Im not publishing a fucking journalistic review, its just a way to spark a conversation. What have you brought to the table?
>>
>>63850318
>>63850318
Great fun, great look, great dialogue, characters - great on all counts.

Only issue - it's literally an unfinished story, you're not satisfied. You want to know more - AFTER ALL THE MYSTERY - MOST OF ITS UNRESOLVED.

And A New Hope worked way better because it told a complete story, ESB built on that and created something new - this was literally a first act.
>>
>>63850976
>legendary
>severely wounded
>highly emotional
>>
>>63851054
Eh kind of.

Rojt is probably a 7.5 or 8. I liked it better than fa. Empire is at least an 8.5
>>
>>63850837

My guess is the bitch straight up has the most afinity with the force that any other character, If you take a close look at the lightsaber fight she tends to do stabing motions a lot, probably because she is trying to use a sword as you'd use a spear or a polearm, like the one she has.
>>
>>63850519

I don't know about the whole movie but to me the final act definitely felt rushed. There wasn't much weight to any of the peril because it all goes by so fast. And they straight up just gloss over the entire superweapon plot. The death star was set up much better and much more time and discussion was given to what it was capable of and what it did in the course of the movie (i.e. the destruction of Alderaan)
>>
>>63851126

meant for

>>63850848
>>
>>63851054
Not bad but here the true ratings

tpm: 4/10
aotc: 1/10
rots: 3/10
anh: 7.5/10
esb: 8.5/10
rotj: 7/10
tfa: 6.5/10
>>
Con: The score sucked seriously, none of the new music was memorable in the least bit
>>
File: 2013-04-20-skaggy-style2-hd.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2013-04-20-skaggy-style2-hd.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
>>63850976
>Well memed, you go girl!

As much as I agree that Rey succeeds in WAY TOO FUCKING MANY things.

That last fight was not bullshit at all.

First Kylo gets hit in the hip with a fucking BOWCASTER from Chewie (the fucking gun that was established throughout the movie AND Han Solo to be incredible. It one-shots troopers through their armor and more.)

So after getting his hip wrecked to shit. He proceeds to STILL go and fuck up Finn (as he should, because Finn is untrained).

So hes tired, hes freezing, hes bleeding like fucking crazy (hence the shot and the slamming on his wound) AND hes emotional. AND he has Rey being pushed back the entire time.

It really really REALLY isn't as bad as most people are making it out to be - as if it was Rey vs Finn solo and she won.

He was emotional in his decision after killing his own FATHER.

Then he got fucking shot, then had to fight two people in a row.

Stop the stupid bullshit - criticize the character for actual things
>Like being able to pilot the Millenium Falcon through the Ruins of a Star Destroyer better then trained Tie-Fighter pilots.
>>
>>63851097
They literally say he the the leader of the Knights of Ren.

>severely wounded
>highly emotional
>randomly forgets to use his powers
>>
>>63851200
i liked rey's theme a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTmP0iBQUkA

it reminded me of the harry potter score
>>
>>63850318
>Would anyone like to have a serious discussion about this movie
You've come to the wrong board f a m
>>
>>63850318
The prequels had more of an atmosphere than TFA.
>>
>>63851054
>rotj lower than tfa

senpai?
>>
>>63851054
TPM: 5.5/10
AoTC: 4/10
RoTS: 7.5/10
ANH: 7.5/10
TESB: 10/10
RoTJ: 8/10
TFA: 3/10
>>
File: 1273253564248.jpg (81 KB, 413x354) Image search: [Google]
1273253564248.jpg
81 KB, 413x354
>>63851054

tpm, aotc, rots - 2.5/5 as regular movies/tpm, aotc, rots - 4/5 vulgar cinema
anh - 3/5
esb - 2/5
rotj - 2/5
tfa - 1/5
>>
>>63851226
Agreed. It made perfect sense
>>
>>63850318
>7.5/10
>not 3/10
Back to reddit
>>
>>63851283
recently watched them all so they were fresh in my head. rotj's opening was great, but everything that had to do with ewoks and the forest moon was a drag
>>
>>63850976
>Be legendary Sith Knight

so I take it you didn't actually watch the movie?
>>
>>63851200
This. It's enough to dock it from a potential 8 to a 7. Music is that important in mixed media, especially when you're a GOD DAMNED STAR WARS FILM.
>>
>>63850976
where are you getting that kylo ren is legendary? no one respects him and everyone of the first order guys seems to only tolerate him because he's snoke's pet.
>>
everyone who seriously and unironically rates the prequels higher than TFA are fucking retarded. TFA is actually a competent film, with actual scenes and actual acting. the prequels couldn't even do those basic things right
>>
>>63851054
I: 3/10
II: 2/10
III: 7/10
IV: 8.5/10
V: 9/10
VI: 7.5/10
VII: 4.5/10
>>
Storytelling, particularly of a family universe, is what aspires this new emulating of Spielberg, explicitly reviewed in "Super 8", and indeed, is what he does better, with all the technicality of explanation and redundancy trained in TV series, particularly in "Lost". It will not be anything significant, except as a symbol of the current filmic times. However, old age becomes well to Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford.
>>
File: Starkiller Base.gif (2 MB, 400x197) Image search: [Google]
Starkiller Base.gif
2 MB, 400x197
>>63851226
While I agree that he was weakened, it doesn't explain why he doesn't use his powers the whole fight, when he clearly pushes Rey right before the fight.
And he can fucking stop laser bolts MID AIR, like come on.
>>
>>63851293
>>63851289
Gonna take the b8. Care to explain exactly how FA was worse than the prequels and warrants an almost 0 score?
>>
TPM: 2/10
AoTC: 0/10
RoTS: 6/10
ANH: 9/10
TESB: 9/10
RoTJ: 6/10
TFA: 6/10
>>
>>63851419
is english not your first language?
>>
>>63851408
Its a marvel movie you tasteless fucking /b/abby
>>
also it's established early on that rey can do serious shit with her stick. using a fucking laser sword well shouldn't be a surprise
>>
>>63850966
Fargo did it better. TFA is more of a knockoff.
>>
>>63851097
I thought being emotional was important to Sith, relying on their passions and all that stuff.

The opposite of Jedi who favor tranquility.
>>
Wow, all these plebs marking ESB higher than SW...
>>
File: 1359406807421.png (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1359406807421.png
12 KB, 500x500
>>63851436
>While I agree that he was weakened, it doesn't explain why he doesn't use his powers the whole fight, when he clearly pushes Rey right before the fight.
>And he can fucking stop laser bolts MID AIR, like come on.
I'll agree with you there. There was no given explanation (and it could have been done easily if they had shown him trying to Force-Push her again but failed due to him being Fatigued).

They fucked it up by showing he had insane powers right at the start like being able to HOLD PEOPLE IN PLACE.

GEE WOULDN'T THAT BE HANDY THEN JJ ABRAMS?

Guess I'll have to chalk it down to him being unable to focus while bleeding. But requiring that of the audience is BAD STORYTELLING
>>
>>63851372
>>63851393
They literally say he is the leader of a band of Knights.
>>
>>63851339
yeah people forget that most of RotJ takes place on that fucking wood planet with the ewoks. THey only remember the first 15 minutes and the confrontation at the end though
>>
>>63851481

Agree. Didn't Anakin have to kill Jedi babies to make him strong enough to cheat death?

Surely Ren killing his father would make him more powerrrrful.
>>
>>63851501
he is the leader of a group of newly formed force sensitive people who haven't yet completed their formal training. yes, truly legendary.
>>
>>63851339
>but everything that had to do with ewoks and the forest moon was a drag

Shit I had blocked that out of my head, yea that was pretty bad.
Speedbikes were nice tho.
>>
>>63851419
I agree. It picked up the themes of family from the orginial trilogy quite well. I found myself genuinely invested in the relationship between Han and Kylo.

>>63851458
Care to explain?
>>
>>63851538

>newly formed

In the flashback they had clearly helped Ren fuck up the Jedi Temple, that was years ago.
>>
>>63851496
It must have been a fatigue issue. He even had trouble pulling the lightsaber out of the snow.
>>
>>63851535
maybe he still feels conflicted, and it's holding him back
>>
>>63851591
a jedi temple in the middle of nowhere filled with padawans. ok
notice kylo is the only one with a lightsaber
>>
>>63850916
>green text = meme text
Newfags leave
>>
>>63850318
Since you want a serious discussion, I ask you this: were Rey's force visions prophetic, like Anakin's, or symbolic, like Luke's?
>>
>>63850976
How is he legendary? Ben probably didn't have a hard day in his life until he started training with Luke. Then Snoke brings him to the dark side and takes advantage of Ben's adoration of his grandaddy by declaring him so-cool leader of the so-cool Knights of Ren.

Ben had never probably seen real combat or really faced another force user, which is why he freaks the fuck out when he actually struggles to get in Rey's head. Him getting his shit kicked in by Rey, who knows how to fight from experience plus has the force, was probably a shocker for him because he thought he was invincible.
>>
>>63851538
I don't see any other force users stopping blaster bolts or reading minds.
>>
>>63851538

In the guide Ren is known as Jedi Killer. He's also described as a highly trained and unstoppable force in the battlefield.

Anakin was a Jedi Master when he began his training as a Sith. So Ren not finishing his Sith training yet doesn't mean he had no training.
>>
>>63851601
This. The light side is strong in him.
>>
>>63851625

I wasn't arguing they aren't a bunch of clowns, just that they aren't newly formed.
>>
File: 1268457502296.jpg (26 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1268457502296.jpg
26 KB, 320x240
>>63851440
>its bait

Whats the point explaining anything to you when you've already made up your mind?
>>
>>63850318
Your cravings for legitimacy confirm my experience, it was nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63851226
>Rey vs Finn
Ren vs Rey* Fuckin names
>>
>>63850318
i bet you rated gotg 8 if not more
>>
>>63851496
It was obviously because he lost midiclorians when he was bleeding
>>
>>63850318
It paralleled it so much that it was extremely predictable.

>great pacing
>felt like it took on more than it needed to in one film (they travel to a lot of settings and places making the movie feel like it jumps around to much)
Don't these two points contradict each other? Also, the movie had shit pacing and almost zero character development.
>>
>>63851054
TPM: 4/10
AOTC:4/10
ROTS:7/10
ANH:8.5/10
ESB:9.5/10
ROTJ:9/10
TFA:8/10
>>
>>63851722
Eh it would've been 7/10 if it weren't for all the meming. It knocked it down to 6
>>
>>63851764
First proper ranking yet. Finally, peolpe shit on ROTS way too much due to being aligned with the prequels
>>
the "practical" effects were all shit quality , you could tell they were models at a glance, they tried way too hard to dictate scale

also the director kept picking weird as fuck camera angles and pull outs , also during the middle-ish when they are all on the ship talking to han, there were some really fucking jarring jump cuts

pacing was shit
like someone else mentioned there wasnt a single respit in the entire movie, no lulls in the constant hollywood machine styled wild ride , and way too many attempts to distract from the fact the writing was poor/ dialog was poor

also people saying the humor was good? last i checked star wars was never a fucking comedy,
>>
>>63851648

>Ben had never probably seen real combat or really faced another force user

His nickname is "Jedi Killer".
>>
THIS IS A CHILDRENS SPACE FANTASY FILM WITH BINARY MORALITY
are people seriously expecting top tier cinema? it was entertaining, that alone makes it better than the prequels at least
>>
>>63851777
You're pathetic. episode 7 had the same meme pandering humor
>dats not how u use the forcexD
>droid please!
Fuck you and leave this board until you learn your memes
>>
>>63851808
pls tell me about the experienced jedis he killed. probably all little kids
>>
>>63851798
TFA is not on par with ANH
not even fucking close
>>
>>63851821
>it was entertaining, that alone makes it better than the prequels at least

No one's stating otherwise senpai
>>
>>63851740
>Don't these two points contradict each other?
I suppose you're right. Anons in this thread have convinced me the pacing was too fast. I disagree with the statement about character development tho. I felt all the characters grew in some way, maybe even more so than NH
>>
>>63851860
He ranked ANH higher. What are you saying?
>>
>>63851659
vader stops hans bolts in empire, he doesn't stop them mid air because they couldn't do that in 1980

literally all jedi can read others emotions
>>
>>63851863
look at all the ratings in this thread
>>
File: sand.jpg (113 KB, 600x393) Image search: [Google]
sand.jpg
113 KB, 600x393
Rey picks up saber, from box. Images of children being slaughtered flood her mind. Sobbing, she screams- "I don't like sand!"
>>
File: 1448073777868.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
1448073777868.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2160
>>63851821
Song of the Sea was for children too and its much better than this piece of shit movie. Get some standards and better excuses for being a westerner with chinese sensibilities for cinema.
>>
>>63851805
>last i checked star wars was never a fucking comedy
Nice b8. Theres comic relief every 5 minutes in the ot
>>
>>63851858

>pls tell me about the experienced jedis he killed. probably all little kids

See, that's the problem with the movie. You don't know if they were little kids. I don't know too. To movie failed to establish things. In the guide he's describe as the most OP Jedi ever and he's shown that way at the beginning at the movie.

In truth the only reason you're reasoning that he was a punk was because of how the movie failed. You trying to grasp at anything and come up with all kinds of scenario in an attempt to make sense of the inconsistency of the character.
>>
>>63851844
Hardly. I dont think you even know what a meme is. It was the same tone of humor from the orginial movies
>>
>>63851872

>I felt all the characters grew in some way, maybe even more so than NH

How? Describe to me how the characters grew. How Finn grew as a character, for example?
>>
>>63851879
>.5 higher that makes it okay
no, motherfucker, ANH is a classic
you're basically the same fucking idiots trying to rate jurassic park movie on par with the original when it came out
you're delusional as shit
TFA isnt even a 7/10. i'd say a fair rating would be 6/10 and thats with overlooking huge glaring fucking flaws where it ignored canon
>>
>>63851898
>vader
point in case

>literally all jedi can read others emotions
Yea, regular non retarded people can do that too.
>>
>>63851915
>chinese sensibilities for cinema
um what? i enjoy things for what they are. not everything has to be insightful or thought provoking to also be entertaining. do you also hate all pop music because it's trash and doesn't hold up to your standards
>>
>>63851872
Poe definitely didn't grow, because he didn't have enough screentime to grow. We hardly even know him besides he's a cocky, yet extremely gifted pilot. He's like a combination of Han Solo and Wedge Antilles.

Kylo Ren didn't grow. He's still a brooding angsty faggot.

Rey didn't grow, she just put on Mary Sue plot armor.

Finn is probably the only character that grew. He had an inherent empathy to him that allowed him to reject the First Order. In doing so, he thought his primary goal was to just run away from them. But then he developed and decided to fight for the people he befriended instead of abandoning them like a pussy.
>>
>>63851408
Its a competent third of a film
>>
>>63851922
no, there's banter which demonstrates chemistry
which none of the characters had in the entire TFA movie
>>
>>63851808
More like younglings killer
>>
>>63850318
pretty much generic action movie and too much comedy like that scene where space hitler notices mary sue escaped and he started raging and two stormtrooper were scared and walked another way lots of those kind of scenes should just been edited out of movie.
>>
I agree OP, the movie should have ended when Rey jumped into Hyperspace to find Luke. I was all ready for the credits to roll, but no
>>
I kept recognizing images lifted straight from Star Trek every 5 minutes.
>running around idiots
>seeing plantes destroyed by looking up Which also is incredibly stupid.
>mc watching spaceships from afar
>explosions everywhere
Felt like a Star Trek movie.
>>
>>63851982
Nope its pure marvel tier forced 'meme' humor

Reddit humor:
>pushed by corporations
>safe, middle of the road, insincere, appeals to a wide variety of interest groups
>glorifies the image of the product it is pushing
>conforms to corporate and elite interests
>anti-democratic
>created by committee to sell products
>tries too hard to become a meme and in the process embed itself within the minds of consumers to sell more crap related to the franchise (the entire character of Groot)
"thats not how the force works!" "chewie we're home!" "TRAITORxD!" "do you have a boyfriend?"

4chan humor:
>anonymous origins
>free, democratic, open source
>subverts corporate interests and intentions (Bane in TDKR used to attack the movie, not praise it)
>not created to push a product or message, but rather to amuse and humor individuals
>created for a specific group of enlightened users, not dumbed down for the masses
>memes are not forced by corporations, but rather become popular due to their innate appeal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgbQGXTwiME
>>
>>63851054
TPM: 3.5/10
AOTC: 2/10
ROTS: 5/10
ANH: 9/10
TESB: 10/10
ROTJ: 8/10
TFA: 7.5/10
>>
>>63852097
Are you serious? The relationships between characters were 10x better than anything in the OT, aside from perhaps Han and others.
0/10
>>
>>63852002
Finn grew balls from being a pansy that runs away constantly. Kylo faces his father and has closure about how he feels about him. Rey accepted her loneliness and that she will have to leave her home to find her parents instead of hiding on jukko and waiting (that's why she's constantly saying she has to go back to jukko throughout first half).
>>
>>63852097
lol you haven't watched the original trilogy recently. there's actually hardly any character interactions at all. luke and han maybe share 10 lines of dialogue with each other in ESB and ROTJ combined
>>
>>63852079

>Finn is probably the only character that grew. He had an inherent empathy to him that allowed him to reject the First Order. In doing so, he thought his primary goal was to just run away from them. But then he developed and decided to fight for the people he befriended instead of abandoning them like a pussy.

Why did Finn, such an emphatic character, had problem with killing people for the First Order at the beginning, but then later had no qualms about killing random Stormtroopers that he probably grew up with? Just no conflict, whatsoever.
>>
File: 635573357.jpg (125 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
635573357.jpg
125 KB, 600x350
It did NOT feel like Star Wars AT ALL. This will not become a meme no matter how hard Disney pushes it.

My main takeaway was the whole thing is filled with subconscious propaganda.

e.g. there was the scene where Rey and Finn both sneak off somewhere in the Millennium Falcon. While they are both panting heavily, the Rey says, "I can't believe we're doing this." This is subtle shit, and if you're not looking for it you will miss it, due to the fact that this is not presented in a overtly sexual way.

More obvious shit like

1) Finn incessantly grabs Reys hand every time they have to run away to the point she complains about it

2) Rey then OH SO CONVENIENTLY grabs Finn's hand to help him up the next time they have to run

3) The part where Finn MUST save Rey at all costs even if it means death... he gives no fuck for the resistances plan

4) After they are reunited they hug for such a long time, in the most awkward moment, then Han Solo has to break them up to say they better get the fuck out of there

The above doesn't include the long pauses, the staring and the innuendo between the two right the way through.

Most obvious stuff like the Nazi caricature villains (including one who fights the black guy with a burning cross lightsaber, and they even throw in a nazi rally for good measure), the only semi-major white male characters in the film are two old men that they probably felt they needed to include out of marketing obligations: Han Solo who gets killed off and Luke Skywalker who shows up for 5 seconds at the end and literally went into hiding out of jedi guilt due to his failure in training the villain, which led to the deaths of his students. Why is anyone on /tv/ defending this SJW propaganda shit?
>>
>>63851640
Seemed to just show her things that already happened (the massacre and bejng left on Jakku) and things that happened in the movie (Kylo in the woods).
>>
>>63852132
u sure do love 4chan
>>
>>63852132
autism is a hell of a drug
>>
>>63850734
>Comparing characters introduced over 3 movies, to characters introduced in 1
>>
File: 1408630701180.jpg (46 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1408630701180.jpg
46 KB, 720x480
>>63852079
>Finn is probably the only character that grew
This
As much as I hate to admit, sweating negro is the only well developed character.
Rey is just a blatant mary sue and Poe doesn't get screen time.
>>
>>63852097
No chemistry? The characters were regularly bouncing dialogue off eachother, quite well. Finn and Rey fit together quite well. Ill agree they didnt mesh with Han.
>>
File: 68648.jpg (66 KB, 709x480) Image search: [Google]
68648.jpg
66 KB, 709x480
>>63850318
That scene when the x-wings pilots talk when they're flying on the starkiller planet

>first shot: the hispanic

>second shot: the woman

>third shot: the fat white guy

>fourth shot: the asian guy back in their headquarters

>fifth shot: the black guy
>>
>>63852035
where exacting was canon broken
>>
>>63852229
>>63852232
Go back to /co/
>>
>>63851764
Too kind to VII, but i agree otherwise. The VI is bad meme should end
>>
>>63852035
>ignored canon
anon, we need to have a talk
>>
>>63852164

That whole "arc" for Rey really didn't sit well with me. Any rational human would have figured that no one would have been coming back for her. Instead I guess Rey is basically a dog who is forever waiting at the doorstep for her owner to come home.

Finn's was okay but I'm going to nitpick because I thought it was weird that he wanted, more than anything, to fuck off to the Outer Rim, and then suddenly he comes back and wants to save Rey, because I guess he likes her.
>>
>>63852132
>us 4channers XD AMIRITE
>complaining that there was no /pol/ humor
>>
>>63852164

>Kylo faces his father and has closure about how he feels about him.

What closure? I didn't see any resolve in him.
>>
>>63852214
Self-defense is a biological imperative.
>>
>>63852137
yeah you're delusional as fuck over the initial hype and not remembering how bad the dialog was in the movie and how much it lacked chemistry.

go back and watch leia try to mumble out her lines through her botox lips, then look at how completely one note finn is in every line he says, like over half the scenes in the movie were just filler or recycling old plot points,

there isn't a single memorable line in the entire movie, not a single point in the dialog that become engaging, it was just "HUH ! OKAY! COOL!"

atleast with the prequels there were memorable lines and good as fuck fight scenes

we get mary sue picks up her light saber and beats the big bad in less than a minute
>>
>>63851440
What bait? Maybe some people don't like the idea of watching a rehashed A New Hope with no soul or originality going for it?
>>
>>63852292
VI isn't bad, but it's definitely the weakest of the OT
>>
File: 1450565507545s.jpg (2 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
1450565507545s.jpg
2 KB, 125x93
Did you see the evil, ugly racist bad guy with a mask, holding his flaming cross?

Subtle as fuck
>>
>>63852214
There are probably tens of thousands of storm troopers. He hardly knows most of them. Killing in self defense is completely different from killing a village of civilians
>>
>>63852341
it's a good thing i don't watch star wars movies for the dialogue. or care about mary sue's in a fantasy film
>>
>>63852341
>focusing on Leia
No one's defending Leia. She had a minor role and no real dialogue with anyone. But you're just a fucking idiot if you think Rey, Finn, and Poe and no compelling interactions.
>>
File: tfa.jpg (48 KB, 583x482) Image search: [Google]
tfa.jpg
48 KB, 583x482
Did you see the evil white stormtrooper with his police baton and riot shield beating down the poor brave black man?

Subtle as fuck
>>
>>63852216
>Why is anyone on /tv/ defending this SJW propaganda shit?
At this point I almost prefer the SJWs to all these insecure crackers. You sound like you're talking about the fucking patriarchy m8
>>
>>63852305
>>complaining that there was no /pol/ humor
Where? Or are you trying to dictate the conversation because of your obsession with /pol/?
>>
>>63851700
Wow, go back to /a/ or whatever hole you crawled out from
>>
File: download1.jpg (5 KB, 136x160) Image search: [Google]
download1.jpg
5 KB, 136x160
>>63852454
I agree fellow anon!
>>
>>63852266
>>63852216
Samefag
>>
>>63852292
When TFA was in it's good moments it was actually really really good. The battle scenes, when Poe and Finn escape, Snoke, Han's death, and Chewbacka going ham was awesome.
>>
>>63852326
He decided he liked the dark side over the family unit. He murdered his father, how much more closure do they need?
>>
>>63852216
BIG, WIDE, MANLY HIPS AND THIGHS
>>
>>63852502
You leave too star shit tourist
>>
>>63851764
This is the objectively best list.
>>
>>63852304
I think it was copying the Han always about to leave story line.
>>
>>63852266
JJ is so brave...
>>
the fact that people are looking back on the prequels and saying they aren't horrible (when they actually are), means that in about 10 years everyone will claim that TFA is a cinematic masterpiece
>>
>>63852565

He had liked the Dark Side since the start of the goddamn movie. The death was nothing. Empty. It was "Oh, hey, dad. It's me, your son. I need to kill you now for stuff, you know? K".
>>
>>63852663
he was conflicted. he needed to kill han to get rid of the temptation to go back home/lightside.
>>
>>63850318
was this scene in the movie? i'm trying to figure out where it was. In the flashback?
>>
>>63852629
Actually captain underage they'll probably say TFA is shit in 10 years
>>
>>63852722

Which was something introduced then at that moment.
>>
>>63852785
Yah it was in her flashback vision thingy
>>
>>63852793
yeah that's what you probably thought 10 years ago when people were shitting on the prequels
>>
Needed some more world building, pacing is way too fast at times and rushed. Starkiller base can suck my balls. Ren is a shitty villain, but at least his flaws leave room for improvment.

They should have put more into showing that Ren wasn't as capable as it's hinted at to make his defeat more believable. Getting blown out by Chewie's OP bowcaster and being emotional from killing his papa isn't enough. The should have down him grimacing in pain a bit more, stopping him from throwing Finn with the force immediately after doing so to Rey to show he wasn't at 100%. People wouldn't be complaining about the final fight as much that way.

Rey powered up too quickly, combined with Kylo's shitty writing, it made her seem more OP than she should have been.

Being a rehash of ANH didn't help by making it super predictable.

I still enjoyed just about every other aspect of the film apart from those, though. A solid 8/10. Don't give a fuck abot /tv/'s glib facsimile

>>63850976
>Ren
>Sith
He's not even a fucking Sith.
>>
>>63852807
What? If you payed attention Snoke basically tells him to kill Han. If you payed attention you knew it was coming.
>>
>>63850318
>7.5/10

do you faggots ever watch a movie thats actually good?
>>
>>63851947
>You don't know if they were little kids. I don't know too.

That's besides the point. Anyone, little kid or not, that Kylo killed was most likely inexperienced. Luke was the final Jedi, so he has to pass on the teachings to a new generation. None of this new generation has had time to be properly experienced in the Force yet. Hell, Luke himself probably didn't get a chance to learn every single thing about the Force/being a Jedi from Yoda/Obi-Wan. There's probably teachings that are forever lost.
>>
>>63852824
No 10 years ago it was still hard to call them shit without people telling you about how Ebert and all his friends loved them. Just like right now
>>
>>63852852

I knew it was coming since Han and Leia hugged each other, but it still was weak. Specially when the character kept behaving as a bitch afterwards.
>>
>>63852887
>good movie
Thats pretty vague. What do you mean? Obviously a 10/10 art house film will not be the same tier as a 10/10 action movie
>>
>>63850318
can someone tell me what glib facsimile means
>>
>>63851592

I thought that was because she was pulling it out of the snow too
>>
>>63850318
>7.5/10 overall

Try 5.5 at best out of 10
>>
>>63850809
who knows? we had no idea what those planets were, rendering their destruction meaningless. at least in ANH with Alderaan, we knew our main heroes were trying to reach it and it was where Leia was from
>>
>>63852895

Sure, it doesn't matter if he killed younglings or grown-up Padawans. They were still Padawans. What matters, though, was that he was shown as a powerful force user and that he killed Padawans. So yes, he had fought force users. That's all that matters. The rest is pure conjecture.
>>
>>63852915
yeah, the prequels were received really well by critics (citation needed)
>>
>>63852895
It also stands to chance that he never even got that far in his training with Luke. His first self-built saber is the cross guard saber, which is the work of an amateur and a glib facsimile of a light saber. Most of his training was probably removing dark side temptation since seeing the Vader in him was the reason Han and Leia sent him in the first place.

Snoke probably came along and said, do you want to be a boring ass nigga who learns how to meditate all day, or use swords and shit like your granpappy and shoot lightning out of your hands, the latter which satisified Ren's inner edgelord a lot more. Also the same reason msot people go dark side in KoToR games.
>>
>>63852955
It means bland remake. Basically after the review embargo ended FA had 100% for about an hour or so before some dude posted a rotten review calling it glib facsimile and /tv/ was like "HOLY SHIT BTFO"
>>
>>63852837
>He's not even a fucking Sith.
Well he's a Dark Jedi who trains under Sith,
>>
>>63852421
>"I'm not going back"
>>
>>63853014
It was received well by Ebert. He gave it a near perfect score. It convinced me that Ebert was a complete fucking Hack
>>
>>63853006
The way I imagine it is like that one kid who hits puberty first and smashes the fuck out of everybody else is phys ed for a year or two. Only in Ren's case, he smashed them up permanently. His bloodline means that he's going to have more affinity with the force and learning about it, so he was probably the most advanced out of any 'jedi' other than Luke at the time, which isn't saying much.
>>
>>63851844
>no humor allowed in my Star Wars
the delivery on the force joke was great.

Fuck off.
>>
>>63853014
Check the wayback machine for RT you ape
TPM was accepted as great and the flaws listed are the same as they are now.

heres one
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-1999
>>
>>63853122
yeah it was hecka epic dude
dance off bro was nice too
based pratt
>>
>>63853024
Actually the design is an ancient one it was supposed to make sense but they dropped the whole jedi/sith artifact collector/inquisitor story line
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>63850451

>They spend too much time on that jungle planet with orange Yoda.
>>
>>63852956
Well I guess that scene is kind of speculation. To me it looked like Kylo was having trouble pulling the saber out of the snow but it only came out once Ray started to pull as well.
>>
>>63850318
facile replica
>>
File: space hitler.jpg (11 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
space hitler.jpg
11 KB, 318x159
>>63852365
That's a bit of a stretch but the scene with the aryan guy giving an overly passionate speech with big red flags bearing the black emblem behind him and having his troops lift their hands at the end was laughably obvious that they wanted to state that he was space hitler.
>>
>>63852132
Such a mongaloid. I think you drooled on me.
I'm surprised you even left your house to see this film.
>>
>>63853170
And he still built it badly. Accusing finger.jpg even says it's appearance suggests that it was builty by an inexperienced hand.
>>
>>63853024

>His first self-built saber is the cross guard saber, which is the work of an amateur and a glib facsimile of a light saber.

Shit is a relic because he's into Sith memorabilia.

>Most of his training was probably
>Snoke probably

See that shit? Stop with that. He was shown as a menacing fella and a powerful force user capable of stopping blasters bolts in mid air and people in their tracks. That's what matters. What was shown.

Now, you can come up with all kinds of bullshit reason for why he got owned like a bitch during the last fight: he was wounded, he was conflicted, he was tired and so on. But this thing that you guys are doing of trying to come up with reasons to downplay the character in an attempt to reconcile the few shit we know about him with his awkward defeat is pure bullshit.
>>
>>63853233
Fair enough, just thought I'd clarify on the design reasons on why they gave him that lightsaber.
>>
>>63852477
Manchild, no one is trying to converse with you. They are laughing at you because that post was beyond cringe.
>>
>>63850880
No way the dialogue is better than ANH. The dialogue between Han and Leia is the worst of the franchise, and there was nothing that even holds a torch to the incredible quotes that we know and love from ANH. Just look at this board, the only good line we remember is "Traitor!" and "Quarter Portion!"
>>
>>63853210
Are you fucking stupid. The empire has ALWAYS been an allusion to Nazis. They're called storm troopers for fucks sake, are you really just now putting this together?
>>
File: 12.jpg (44 KB, 345x373) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
44 KB, 345x373
>>63853287

Thats rich coming from a meme arrowing troglodyte that spends most of his time crying about /pol/ and people not liking his favorite new movie.
>>
>>63853304
>just look at this board
>the board trying to desperately create a new meme at all times

Ha. Try again, kid.
>>
>>63853241
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that it's bullshit. But I can see reasons that may or may not be explained as to why you can excuse it. It would have been far better if Jew Jew had put in just one fucking bit where Ren shows his injuries getting to him and it'd all be excused.
>>
>>63853362
Christ are you still trying? No ones interested in autism, but thanks for the toothless, defensive projection.
>>
>>63853367
Are you implying it doesn't? How do you explain glib facsimile? This board makes memes faster than fucking /v/
>>
>>63853371

Pretty much. You only need to have a fucking second where he falls to his knees due to pain and clutch his rib before trying to get up and continue walking. Just that. That's it.
>>
>>63853367
yea, there was no good dialogue that we had to create memes from the bad dialogue
>>
>>63853345
I know, but before it was subtle, this time is fucking laughable how obvious it was.
>>
>>63853345
Storm troopers were WW1 you fucking philistine
>>
>>63853478
they're called stormtroopers though. can't get less subtle than that.
>>
>>63853478
>They're called Storm Troopers
>all the officers wear black uniforms that are one red arm band away from literally being Nazis
>subtle
>>
>>63853241
There's rules to the Force. You don't always use it 10/10 in the other films.
>inb4 muh force excuses
You think the makers of Star Wars didn't pay attention to how the force works?

He's clearly in his element when he does all that shit in the beginning.

In the end, he's woundedly fighting a force user.
Kylo Ren is powerful only to weak foes, but Rey is using the force against him in the battle. Ren is reckless and uncontrollable. So clearly he is shaken by her fighting back.

The whole time it's implied that Rey is something much more special. Why do you think it's called The Force Awakens? She has had it for a while as she was trained by Luke from childbirth to 5; he clearly dropped her off, and recognized her at the end.
>>
can someone to me the point of that wacky sequence where han and them escape from the two gangs and the aliens?

how was that not cut in post?

pretty good movie though tbhfam
>>
On its own, it's alright. The thing about the other six is that they all felt like unified, individual stories. The lack if slower moments with the newer characters makes the movie seem a bit incomplete. Like they're saving it for the sequels, which should never be the case.

The most well developed was Kylo Ren, which made him stick out. I don't mind the emphasis, I just want to know more about Finn and Rey.

It was a bit too derivative of New Hope for my taste. It bothers me that everything they achieved by defeating the Empire was just reset by the destruction of the Republic. At least Lucas tried to tell new stories.

Ovreally I enjoyed it. It's set up and I hope 8 and 9 build on this world and take it in new directions. I think it has the potential to
>>
>>63851054
>not liking the comfy detective Kenobi subplot of aotc
>>
File: kylo.png (416 KB, 726x541) Image search: [Google]
kylo.png
416 KB, 726x541
Pros
>Fin and Poe being bros
>Fin isn't a Jedi and takes from a small detail from empire
>Han Solo stole the movie
>Crazy Riot Stormtrooper
>Mark Hamill is barely in the movie
>Tons of funny moments
>Kylo Ren is a good villain
Con
>Stupid new sithlord
>Rey is a fucking mary sue
>C3PO is in it for tradition sake
>Feels like a generic movie
>Starkiller name
>Stormtroopers look like plastic
>Kylo Ren is pretty dumb

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it but I hope the sequel is better
>>
>>63853448
I'm implying nothing. I'm telling you the truth.
/tv/ makes shitty memes that die out faster than milk goes bad.
>>
>>63853629
I think I've seen aotc like 4 times and I still can't remember a thing that happens in it. I vaguely recall the clone factory, and boba fett as a kid. Thats about it
>>
>>63853580

>Kylo Ren is powerful only to weak foes

He managed to stop her using his force trick. He also managed to send her flying against a tree. Why he didn't again? Who knows.

The rest is just bullshit. Stop saying bullshit.
>>
>>63853596
Shows that Han always gets himself in fucked up situations and always manages to somehow weasel his way out of them.
>>
I was thinking of marathoning the original trilogy, anyone have links to the original cuts and not that re-release shit with the bad cgi?
>>
File: 1445769128766.jpg (70 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
1445769128766.jpg
70 KB, 768x432
>>63850318
The pacing is shit. Too much action because the plot is so fucking thin and reuses too much old stuff we've already seen before. The character introduction of Rey was way to short, since we did not get any information about her besides that she is a scavenger and obviously a good person. That's not enough. The rest of the movie she can basically do everything and does not need any help. She even beats Kylo when he tries to read her mind and escapes him by learning the force mind trick on the side. She does not need any guidance at all because JJ Abrams thought "muh strong female lead character". It's a recipe for disaster. There is a good reason why characters should not be written as perfect, since real people have flaws and weaknesses. Characters need development and need to get stronger by overcoming obstacles and learning from past decisions and mistakes, especially the main character. This movie could have been 10x better if the writers actually put some thought into the characters and what has to happen in order to make them believable. So they are just bland and movie as not outstanding moments besides Kylo killing Han because we care for Han and that's because of the old movies and not of his actions or importance in this one. Rey is just fine without Han. Why did she even care? After all she barely knew the guy.
>>
>>63853580
>In the end, he's woundedly fighting a force user.
Funny how the bitch who got knocked out 10 meters in the air against a tree is perfectly fine afterwards tho.
>>
>>63853725
I think I misinterpreted your conversation. Im only half reading this thread at this point. I thought you were saying /tv/ doesnt pump out memes
>>
>>63853802
Search for the despecialized editions.

It's the closest you're gonna get to the original cuts.
>>
>>63853802
Simply at Piratebay
>>
>>63851226

>good pilot
>instinctive mechanical knowledge

They're pushing the while Skywalker thing. Not sure how I feel about that. Like somebody has to be an older character's kid but they get that with Ren. It makes the world smaller
>>
>>63854001
I interpreted the relationship as between her and Kylo Ren as being a dig on midichlorians; Kylo Ren has the blood to be strong, but he keeps fucking up because he's a weak person. Rey is a literal nobody but she's strong because she has the spirit and belief in the Force to be great.

But people seem REALLY convinced that she's Luke's daughter or a former Jedi. I think it'd be much better if she was just a random scavenger.
>>
>>63853597
Don't mean to frustrate but I don't think Lucas was trying to tell new stories once he decided to go backwards and explore how Anikan fell to the Dark side. A major problem with the prequels is we all knew the story but just not all the details. that doesn't make good cinema. Now we are served more recycled content -its a shame. They were able to pinch a little extra, unique, plot out in Empire Strikes Back but have been going in circles ever after and since.
>>
>>63853802
>I was thinking of marathoning the original trilogy, anyone have links to the original cuts and not that re-release shit with the bad cgi?
Idiot, you're the reason TFA exists.
>>
>>63854079
>But people seem REALLY convinced that she's Luke's daughter or a former Jedi
Its obviously one or the either. I think she was lukes padwan
>>
>>63850580

I agree that I never felt bored, but the pacing was terrible. They rushed things along far too quickly for anything to be that impactful. Finn and Poe end up bros after knowing each other for 5 minutes. Rey and Finn end up friends after knowing each other for 5 minutes. Rey touches a lightsaber once, and immediately understands the finer points of the light side, like Jedi mind control. The first time she turns on a lightsaber, she manages to beat a well-trained sith that's been training for like 30 years. The Starkiller is introduced, hailed as being crazy more impressive than the Deathstar, and then immediately destroyed in a similar fashion. Snoke is revealed as a character, then immediately revealed as just a hologram (seriously, they couldn't wait until the end of the movie to show this?).

The pacing was abysmal.
>>
>>63854120
So what exactly is wrong? The cgi edits are nauseating in the ot. Im glad TFA exsists. Its not great, buts it better than nothing (which can't be said about the prequels )
>>
File: 1438313110209.jpg (35 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1438313110209.jpg
35 KB, 460x345
>>63853805
I agree with this post completely.

The characters were either half baked or purely inserted for nostalgia purposes. At some points Rey felt like she was there to fill the Luke Skywalker role, but at other times she's the new Han Solo? Why am I supposed to care about a character who doesn't have any weaknesses or vulnerabilities.

Finn had a good start. I like the idea of a rebellious stormtrooper, but we're given so little background other than HE SAW A BAD THING. I almost feel like character development scenes were cut in favour of more action sequences.
>>
>>63854096

The PT still added a lot of new shit and had a fairly new structure. TFA is just... too much like Ep 4.
>>
>>63854126

I think it is very likely she's Luke's daughter. I understand she is a scavenger and could get a rebel helmet while searching, but why the fuck would she have a little straw doll of an x-wing pilot?
>>
>>63850318
I don't rate things out of 10, I rate out of 5:
1/5 avoid at all costs
2/5 okay if it's on TV and you're desperate
3/5 worth a redbox rental
4/5 worth a movie ticket
5/5 See it more than once in the theater and Buy it when it comes out for home viewing.
I'd rate this one as 4/5.

>PROS
>actually felt like a star wars film (much more so than prequels)
I didn't really think it felt like Star Wars, but I chalk that up to extreme nostalgia goggles.
>great blend of cgi and practical effects without relying too much on either
I agree with this
>well done and entertaining action sequences
I felt like when Poe and Finn escaped from the Star Destroyer that action scene felt like it was jammed in there to show "Poe is a great pilot and Finn learns quickly and Poe and Finn are gonna be bros."
>great pacing
I dunno bout that, not as bad as the prequels, but I guess the Original Trilogy had their own problems in that dept too.
I'll have to agree with this simply because I actually didn't notice until I got home and thought about it
>fantastic sets
check
>original characters were implemented well
Kylo Ren became pretty lame the moment he took off his helmet. They should've saved that moment for when he was facing his father.

cont.
>>
>>63854148
>and immediately understands the finer points of the light side, like Jedi mind control. The
She probably got that from when Ren tried to mind rape her and failed as she resisted and turned it back on him, much to both their surprise.

>well trained Sith
People like you keep calling him a Sith and I don't know why. He's not a fucking Sith.
>>
>>63854196
Yes it can
>>
>>63851289

I like your rating.
>>
File: 1428337708658.jpg (150 KB, 898x540) Image search: [Google]
1428337708658.jpg
150 KB, 898x540
>>63853719
>Crazy Riot Stormtrooper
That right there was probably my favorite moment.
I want more of it in the next ones.
>>
>>63854228
The prequels literally fucked up the back story and made me enjoy the OT less.
>>
>>63854225

Just calling him a sith sounds better than calling him a "dark jedi", which is by definition a sith, right? Because there isn't actually such thing as a "dark jedi".
>>
2/10

It just wasn't good. Not even trolling.
>>
>>63854307
>which is by definition a sith, right?
No.
>>
>>63851700

>hey I know you're trying to talk about Star Wars bUT this unrelated shit is so wonderful
>>
>>63851440

TFA was imo worse than the prequels. I hated it.

There are too many bad things to sum up.

Bad acting
Bad nostalgia feeling
Bad story
Bad character development
Bad cgi(characters)
Plot holes
And the list goes on and on...
>>
>>63854272
>Rewatch the movies in number order
>Notice scenes in the original that were pottery in the prequels

Frustrating and distracting as hell.
>>
>>63854261

He should have lived.

Hell, replace Phasma's role with that crazy fucker.
>>
>>63854120
So you're saying you like seeing prequel Ghost Anakin in RotJ? It's stupid no matter how you spin it
>>
Every scene was competently done. The plot stringing the scenes together is just a retarded rehash of A New Hope.

For instance, Rey's scenes where she gets new powers as the plot demands would have been better if they had also incorporated scenes where Rey unintentionally trains in the force, like Luke's scene where he fights the mini droid on the falcon under Kenobi's supervision.
Also, it really bothered me that the people on the rebel planet were able to visually see other planets, lightyears away in the galaxy get exploded, and instantly too! In a galaxy of magic space monks, that shatters my suspension of disbelief.

Other than the shitty writing surrounding Rei's development, the hyperspeed visual explosion, and how silly Kyle is, I really enjoyed it. I'd give it a solid 7.9/10.
>>
>>63853449
>>63853371
What about the parts where he was pounding his ribs or something and blood was spilling out?
>>
>>63850318
>CONS
>clunky sometimes awkward dialogue
This is true of ALL Star Wars movies
>new characters felt kind of bland, lacking in character compared to the old cast
Rey maybe a little, I felt the opposite about Finn, seeing him in the trailers and movie stills before release I felt like he was horribly out of place, but after he met up with Rey he felt like a real character that belonged in the Star Wars universe.
Can't really deny that
>shoehorned in last 5 minutes to b8 audience for next film
Agreed. The film should've ended with her leaving to find Luke. That wonderful shot where everyone is assembled to see her off. That was usually how Star Wars movies ended.

As for my own issues, I felt like Rey's "don't hold my hand" crap was shoved in in an attempt to show really fast "she's a strong independent young woman who don't need no man." It wasn't necessary and could've been done better by having her simply say, "No, this way," keep holding his hand and lead him in the other direction. Says the same thing without being painfully obvious.

It was also pretty thinly believable that she would so quickly master aspects of the Force that generally take years of training. Makes it difficult to believe that a former student of Luke is getting his mental face smashed in by a total novice.

I liked BB and Finn a lot more than I thought I would, and my criticism of Rey doesn't mean I don't like her, there were just things about her that I feel they could've done better.
>>
>>63854456

I don't know why people are forgetting this. That part was pretty intense, and it is exactly what you's expect from someone trying to be a bad ass. He doesn't want to look weak, he is literally trying to beat the pain out of himself because he's ashamed of feeling it.
>>
>>63853371
>>63853241
Also, she used the lightsaber too elegantly for someone untrained.

I would have preferred a scene where she's just wailing on Kyle, all technique out, and running on pure desperation.

He's fighting her off, but you can clearly see his injuries are stiffening his movements, and eventually she brute forces herself past his failing guard and strikes the triumphant blow.
>>
>>63854456
In all honesty, that was enough for me (>>63853371) as well as showing him still bleeding, but it wasn't enough for a lot of people and I can totally understand that too. Making it super obvious would have dulled a lot of complaints about the final fight.
>>
>>63854419
>Phasma
Literally forgot she was even a character. They must have cut all her scenes.
>>
>>63854552
>I felt like Rey's "don't hold my hand" crap was shoved in in an attempt to show really fast "she's a strong independent young woman who don't need no man."

I thought it was because he kept on doing it and she barely knows him
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.