[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's the best movie since Empire [/spoiler]Tell me why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: tfa.jpg (528 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
tfa.jpg
528 KB, 1536x864
It's the best movie since Empire

[/spoiler]Tell me why it's shit
>>
>>63843102
It isn't shit, it's just not great. It's a safely made manufactured Disneyfied rehash of ANH. A 7.5/10 film that does not break any boundaries, merely entertains as a casual fan serviced entry into the franchise.
>>
is a marketing product to sell toys to children and autistic adults
>>
>>63843102
>Tell me why it's shit

there are a lot of small reasons. the big one is that it doesn't offer any new ideas.
>>
>>63843161
And frankly if anyone was expecting anything different then they're delusional.
It could have been a lot worse.
>>
Because it's a glib facsimile
>>
>>63843223
>the big one is that it doesn't offer any new ideas.

Basically this.

>LE EBIC JEDI ARE STILL EXTINCT AFTER 30 YEARS
>LE EBIC MASTER AND APPRENTICE SITH LORDS
>LE EBIC SUPER WEAPON THAT BLOWS UP PLANETS
>LE EBIC CHARACTERS FROM THE ORIGINAL
>>
>>63843102
>plot is unoriginal (everything is either a ripoff of the original trilogy and some elements from the EU)
>Too much action, not enough exposition
>For the first film in a trilogy, it leaves too many loose ends
>Protagonist who is already perfect and has no character flaws
>Williams' least memorable work ever
what did I miss?
>>
>>63843223
>no new ideas
how about well written characters evolving in a universe with a similar feel to the originals? it's a character driven movie, not a bunch of plot stunts [like the prequels wanted to be]
>>
>Another fucking death star complete with a trench run
>Another fucking Tattooine
>Weak exposition, with the exception of Finn maybe
>Shit villians
>Carrie Fisher should not be allowed anywhere near camera anymore
>Same goes for Ford and Anthony Daniels
>Star Trek sound fx when you have a plethora of iconic blaster and laser sounds available
>>
>>63843161
This is accurate. It was good, not great. I would put it above all of the prequels and Return.
>>
It wasn't terrible, but there's a lot of small things that could have made it a lot better.
- I feel like they tried to cover too much in too short of a time, so the pacing felt crazy. They should have given it another 30 minutes or so to focus on certain aspects to even out the pacing.
- The final shot was way too long. It should have been: Luke reveal, Rey hands out lightsaber, wideshot the two, credits. The panning around for 60 seconds just felt awkward.
- Less characters from the original to shove in. A few would have been fine, and made sense, but I felt like every character from the original trilogy made a cameo at one point or another.
>>
File: starwars.webm (3 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
starwars.webm
3 MB, 640x640
I’m still trying to figure out what bothered me so much about this movie. There’s something that was just so off-putting when I walked out of the theater. Everyone keeps saying “well, it didn’t have to be a GREAT movie, it just had to be a STAR WARS movie”. But was it even that?

The thing that always drew me into Star Wars was how massive they could make the universe seem while only showing you a small piece of it. This movie… had none of that. Instantaneous travel to every solar system. Seemingly no sense of time passing. I suppose the other movies are guilty of that, but they still made me feel like I’d gone on a journey, at least. The planets this time around all just felt like one world. But that’s still not it; there’s still something just utterly wrong with this movie. Maybe it was that there was no mystery? Like, “Ooh, the Force” just got really worn out? By that I mean that not only did Finn and Rey accept the idea of Jedi so quickly, we don’t get to know their opinions on them. Nor are we presented with any picture of what the “Jedi” look like. It was just horribly, horribly underdeveloped.

This is where I have to take a stand for the prequels: their value as movies aside, at least they strove to give us an image of ancient, once-powerful order of Jedi with a rich history and traditions all its own, just like the expanded universe did.

Now we get some half-baked “New Order” (seriously… what the heck happened there?) that is NOT menacing, does NOT seem powerful, and is already seemingly outmatched in the first movie. And, I might add, by a “resistance” (how is this a resistance if the empire which the new order was created from was destroyed by that same resistance which is now in power?) that I really have been given no information about either.

I kind of hate to think that there will be more movies after this.
>>
My gripes:
So, Kylo Ren's birth name is Ben. That's not right. Ben was Luke and Mara Jade's son. Han and Leia's kids were Jaina, Jacen and Anakin. So they screwed that up. They did get right that Solo's son became a Sith Lord, Jacen in fact: but his Sith name wasn't Kylo Ren, it was Darth Caedus. So again, a screw up. Had they kept just a *tiny* bit of consistency with the EU, it would have felt like a better movie. A simple name change is all it would have taken. Is that really that hard to ask?
There is no way a non-Force sensitive Stormtrooper could keep up with a Sith Lord in a lightsaber battle. That shit would be over in 3 seconds, Finn would be chopped in half. And a completely untrained Rey, who only discovered that she was even Force sensitive a few hours before the battle? Defeating a trained Sith Lord in lightsaber combat? Yeah, no. Sure, she would have lasted slightly longer than Finn. But she'd be dead in 12 seconds instead of 3.
Finally, yet another Death Star? Really? Ugh.
Now, for the good stuff:
The movie looked fabulous. WAY, WAY better than the prequels. And I'm sure that had to do with actually filming it, like with literal film. Plus, no over the top CGI. There were physical models used for a lot of the shots, and that made all the difference.
The new characters are absolutely fabulous. LOVE them! Finn and Rey are going to really take the franchise somewhere for sure. And with Luke's training, Rey is going to be the new Jedi Master that we've all been waiting for. (Other than Anakin and Jaina Solo, which they've apparently ignored, that is) And BB-8 seriously kicks ass, no lie.
For the expected stuff:
I'm positive that Han was killed off at the request of Harrison Ford. He's getting too old, and wanted to be done with the series. Perfectly understandable, and I think they did it with class.
>>
File: 1448676029069.gif (2 MB, 286x286) Image search: [Google]
1448676029069.gif
2 MB, 286x286
>>63843569

>By that I mean that not only did Finn and Rey accept the idea of Jedi so quickly, we don’t get to know their opinions on them. Nor are we presented with any picture of what the “Jedi” look like. It was just horribly, horribly underdeveloped.

>Galaxy ruled for decades by the Sith
>Overthrown by a Jedi
>Finn is fighting in a military led by the Sith
>Had someone on his ship who was in their order
>Even fought in a skirmish with this person

>Why would they accept the idea of the Force and the Jedi so quickly?
>>
File: laughing whores.jpg (45 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing whores.jpg
45 KB, 446x400
>>63843640

>He still thinks EU is still considered canon!
>>
File: Sad-jamal.jpg (5 KB, 170x113) Image search: [Google]
Sad-jamal.jpg
5 KB, 170x113
I wonder, was the movie shit or am i not able to enjoy those things anymore.

I still enjoy simple films i think. I've seen Assault on precinct 13 and Warriors this year for the first time and liked them.
>>
Kylo Ren is not a Sith you fucking faggots he's a dark jedi.
>>
>>63843935
>Dark jedi
That's Finn
>>
>>63843935
this will be an underrated comment for years to come. We don't even understand how far into his training is. people keep calling him a 'Lord' or 'Master'.

>>63843884
Get off 4chan for a bit. When I'm on here for too long I start to dislike stuff more and more.
>>
>>63843569

Yes. It didn't feel very hard. They mention they lose a lot of their fleet attacking starkiller but it's never really shown. It's just one squadron, on one base, on one world. For the whole "rebellion" or republic. Really? They're seemingly facing overwhelming odds in attacking something much much larger than the death star the first time round, and do it in a breeze. Han and Finn encounter what? Like 4-5 stormtroopers in the base that we just saw was full of thousands of troopers and first order?

Rey using the force was pretty cool. She bought in right away and I like that about her character. Same with Finn. I have no gripe with that part.
>>
It was good, but not great. Thought it was gonna be shit shit but it really wasn't. I tip my fedora to you, JJ
>>
>>63844047
>We don't even understand how far into his training is.
I'm assuming not very. His lightsaber is a piece of shit, he can barely fight with it, he knows all of about 3 force powers, worships a mask, has no control of his emotions, still is called to the light, and can't think for himself.

He's a bitch, but I hope that he will become an irredeemable monster by IX the way Darth Caedus was in the EU.
>>
>>63843102
LITERALLY GUARDIANS OF THE GALAZY 2
>>
>>63843935
I hope people understand this more. There's even a power struggle between Ren and Hux if you think about it. Hux clearly does not respect Ren the same way admirals respected Darth Vader as seen in Empire.

Also the fact that snoke wants Kylo to complete his training proves this further. He may not be that strong with a lightsaber. However he is quite strong with the force as seen with the force freeze stuff.

He doesn't even do the trademark sith lightning. He's definitely weaker than Darth Maul.
>>
>>63843640
Your EU is dead m8.

accept it
>>
>>63843333
> well written
> Disney channel original
> super gay quips every 5 seconds
> main villain is a Jonas brother

The characters are shit
>>
>>63843102
it was based
>>
>>63843102
They said the same about Revenge of the Sith. Wait some months for more honest opinions to emerge
>>
I don't disagree. Mostly because everything after Empire was shitty.
>>
>>63843290
>first film in a trilogy, it leaves too many loose ends

You know how idiotic this statement is, right?
>>
>>63844842
Nobody said that.

Not many people, at least. TFA is almost universally loved.
>>
>>63843161
>le glib rehash meme.

No. It's not. You need to either rewatch IV or actually watch this one and not meme.

If you go in like I did having fallen for a bunch of /tv/ memes, you'll be like, wait, Rey and Finn are cool, there's a lot in here that if it's lifted from anything is lifted from other episodes not IV, and everyone that posts on this board is a pimple picking autistic faggot.
>>
The only legitimate /tv/ criticism of it is that the sountrack isn't all that great but you won't care unless you're the kind of faggot that has monster cables running to his Bose headphones.
>>
Empire>Hope>Awakens>Jedi>Sith>Menace>Clones
>>
>>63843102

It isn't shit, it just wasn't amazing. The pacing was super fucked up, and even in a magical space epic, some of the shit was down right impractical.

Poe and Finn are super bros after a single TIE flight together? Finn and Rey are besties after a single run through a marketplace? Kylo Ren looks up to Vader, when it would probably have been explained to him that the dude turned on the darkside before his death? Kylo Ren has an amazing mastery of the force in ways we really haven't seen yet, despite being a half-trained traitor? And yet he manages to get beaten by Rey basically less than a day after learning about the force? Rey perfects the Jedi mind trick after touching a lightsaber once? The Starkiller weapon is infinitely more daunting than the Deathstar, in theory, yet they take it out basically the exact same way they did in the movie directly preceding this one? Snoke is revealed to be a giant, and then in the same scene just seconds later, they toss that out and reveal it is only a hologram that isn't blue for some reason?

The pacing was shit, especially for some of the stuff they expected you to buy into.
>>
>>63844842
Not really. RotS was mostly remembered as the last one and the darkest one, and "that duel at the end". Now I hear all my normie friends talking about the characters of TFA. Say what you want, the script might've been weak, but JJ did great justice to the new characters.
>>
It wasn't shit. It's mediocre. The new characters aren't well developed and many are underused. There's no emotional weight to the ending because it moves to it so fast (here's something 10x as large and dangerous as the Death Star but let's somehow not make a big deal about it or its reveal). Rey is flawless and has no arch in the story. There is no reason given for her knowing Jedi techniques (force suggestion and moving objects) as she would have never heard of these things unless she watched the original trillogy. They can write that away in sequels but that's a weak way to make a movie. Poe is very similar to Rey in being a Mary Sue type and feels like JJs self insert (greatest pilot ever you guys did you know he's the greatest pilot?).

It's not bad. Parts are great. But it's not a good movie. It mediocre and is definitely a Disney/Marvel Studios type creation in it's ambission to not offend anyone. I wish they had just dropped the old characters and made their own movie but that wouldn't have focus tested well. So we got what we got. Cinematic Wendy's hamburger. Just ok. Does not try for greatness.
>>
>>63845190
Keks max
>>
File: 911.png (182 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
911.png
182 KB, 442x341
>>63843333
>black characters
>evolving

Anon, if they haven't evolved in over ten thousand years I doubt they'll evolve over the course of a two hour movie.
>>
>>63845326

Did you even watch the movie? It was well done, but it was a well done thing we've already seen. It was just Episode 4 and Episode 6 mashed together with some new bits.
>>
>>63845733
Is that supposed to prove him wrong?
>>
>>63843102
most of this
>>63843440
especially the "shit villains" part. every single one of them felt like the cast of a horrible SW fanfiction. which it basically was, if you think about it. JJ Abrams SW fanfiction.
>>
>>63845845
It's already proven wrong yah dingus. The consensus is split pretty 50/50. It's mediocre. Society has spoken
>>
This movie was utterly lacking in any tension or excitement. It was more of a checklist of shit than an actual movie.
>>
>>63846063
>93% on RT, 8.3 average
>'A' Cinemascore
>tracking for $250 million opening weekend
Why am I replying?
>>
>>63843221
So are the old films but that doesn't mean it's a bad movie
>>63843223
I'll agree that the movie was far to similar to ANH
But there were so many new ideas still
>Rebellious storm trooper
>Storm troopers actually have their own characters
>Han's smugglebeasts
>Maz
>New Force Powers
>Rey's Characterization and lifestyle on Jakku
>>63843253
Meme
>>63843290
Protagonist has plenty flaws
She's harsh, blunt, is still internally waiting for daddy to come home, and is bad with people
Fair about William's but w/e
>>63843440
Ford was fantastic and Daniels had less than a minute screen time
>>63843640
EU is gone
Kylo Ren was a half-trained angsty faggot who let his rage get to him and was also bleeding from an almost fatal wound
>>63845533
Finn and Rey were both literally friendless before the movie and Poe had his ass saved by Finn. Why would Snoke explain that to him? The only mastery stuff he does is hold a bullet and use Force-Torture, who cares. Rey had to try three times to get it right and I assume tricking a weak minded stormtrooper is super easy. Chewie had to go inside the Death Star 3 and do some pyrotekniks for them to blow it up.
>>
Why was the resistance called the resistance when the republic exists?
Why did R2 randomly wake up at the end?
Why was the weak spot of Starkiller on the surface?
Why did Phasma agree to lower the shields?
Why doesn't Stormtrooper armor filter gas?
>>
>>63843102
Because it is a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, not a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>63846063
lel

The only place where it is 50/50 is /tv/, a place where people WANTED to hate it. Everybody else adores it.
>>
>>63846662
The same happened with The Phatom Menace nigger. So that doesn't mean much.
>>
>>63845496
My exact ranking.

For accuracy I'd probably put in some power gaps, but that's the gist of it.
>>
>>63846698
Underage confirmed. That's not what happened at all.
>>
>>63846457
>Finn and Rey were both literally friendless before the movie and Poe had his ass saved by Finn.

And? That doesn't mean you immediately latch on to someone like they're your best friend. Finn was using Poe, and yet one TIE ride later, he's concerned about dude's well-being? Same with Rey. She's intent on staying on Jakku, but throws herself full force into returning BB-8 and Finn to the resistance when she doesn't even really want to be there. That's entirely unbelievable.

>>Why would Snoke explain that to him?

Luke was training Kylo Ren. It seemed like it would have come up in their lessons, given that there would have presumably been a lengthy discussion about the light and dark sides of the force, and that Vader is Ren's gran-pappy.

>>The only mastery stuff he does is hold a bullet and use Force-Torture, who cares. Rey had to try three times to get it right and I assume tricking a weak minded stormtrooper is super easy.

How would Rey even know how to do that? She just learned about the force THAT DAY and touched a lightsaber ONCE. That she could defeat Kylo Ren when he's been training for at least 2 decades is ludicrous.

>>Chewie had to go inside the Death Star 3 and do some pyrotekniks for them to blow it up.

They literally glued the shield generator scene from Endor and the Death Star 2 scenes together.
>>
>>63843935

Just because he is a Dark Jedi doe not mean he is a bitch holy shit. He still had training.

And is he is a bitch? Cool, what a shit idea for a shit film.
>>
>>63846894
guess that says plenty about Luke's ability to train Jedi, then. Rey is fucked.
>>
>>63846662
Go to some Star Wars forums
>>
>>63846253
Of course it's got good reviews and had a great opening. That doesn't change that a huge portion left the theater underwhelmed
>>
>>63845190
were you even around for RotS? everyone loved it. they said it was the best movie since the originals because it was so le dark and edgy

90% of the fans you'll see on the internet bash TPM and TCW but defend RotS
>>
IV > V > VI > I > VII > II > III

desu family
>>
>>63847736
Man where the fuck is the cam torrent. I need to re watch this shit for details. I'm not fuck enough to go to the theatre twice.
>>
>>63843102
I had no problem with the feminist/Sarkeesian/damsel ideas presented in the first 30 minutes where Finn met Rey. But they were the most obvious, forced and shoehorned in parts and made me cringe.

>"Why are you holding my hand?"
>"I can run you know?"
>"Why are you asking if I'm ok? I'm fine"
Jar Jar Abrams was literally spelling out to the audience that Rey was an independent woman who don't need no man
>>
Anyone have that image of the New Hope plot with stuff crossed out and replaced with TFA stuff?
>>
File: 1450452221927.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450452221927.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>63849744
>>
>>63843102

Draining a star of all its energy in 30 mins to destroy 5 planets/moons? Destroying planets is childs play when compared to absorbing an stars entire energy and storing it.

You kill an entire system by destroying a star.
>>
>>63850140
thanks m8
>>
The thing I hated about this movie was that it felt so...generic. Just a typical Disney sci-fi 2010s action movie, like John Carter or Guardians of the galaxy, aka Literally Reddit: The Movie.

Unlike the original trilogy, there was no real sense of gravitas or excitement. I didn't feel like anything was at stake, it felt more like a silly parody of Star Wars than actual Star wars.
>>
>>63843640
Yo are aware EU is no longer canon, right?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.