[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Macbeth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: macbethest macbeth.jpg (51 KB, 1315x780) Image search: [Google]
macbethest macbeth.jpg
51 KB, 1315x780
Anyone watching anything that's not Star Wars? Saw this last night and loved it - aside from the acting, excellent score, costuming and photography and is a pleb-friendly sub-two-hours.
>>
>>63842246
What was wrong with the acting?
>>
No one?

I hate Star Wars.
>>
>>63842759

Nothing - poorly-worded on my part. The acting is top-notch, which I meant as "it was to be expected."
>>
>>63842838
I see. Then what's pleb-friendly about it being sub two hours?
Tell me something concrete, you're being awfully vague.
>>
I want to watch Welles' Macbeth and reread the play before seeing the Assbender's version. The trailer looks amazing but I'm afraid it's gonna be filled with hand-held shakiness.
>>
>>63842246
I wanted to watch it, but my local cinema doesn't screen it.
>>
>>63842907

It's under two hours - most Shakespeare isn't so it's pleb-friendly. It's Macbeth - what would you like to know? Scottish, lots of killing.

As noted, great performances, costumes, score, photography. The setting is beautiful, and certain set-pieces - particularly the stake-burnings - are eye-popping. I loved the use of color as a visual cue to Macbeth's descent into madness.

If you like this sort of thing, then you'll like this sort of thing.
>>
>>63843103
Macbeth is his shortest play. Even the stage show itself is well under two hours.
>>
M, Lady M and MacDuff were all very good. Totally believable for Lady M to be French and I did not mind the past dead child plot at all. Witches were good, but I've never seen a Macbeth where they weren't. Debicki is my waifu so I liked that she was Lady MacDuff.

The other characters were hit or miss. It is probably not noticeable to non-Scots but some of the Scottish accents in this were seriously out of line - like very modern, casual, slang-associated accents. Really took you out of the scene when they were like that - most noticeable on some of King Dunc's courtiers.

I liked the fact that King Duncan and the children were visually similar, as a display of innocence. I disliked how insanely joyless the entire movie was, even the celebrations. The banquet scene was not done well. The battle scenes were not done well, although I get they might have been trying to do some pseudo-samurai shit with the final one (maybe as a Throne of Blood ref? IDK). The characters looked great but the actual action was severely lacking - the gold standard to compare to here has to be the fight between MacDuff and MacBeth in Polanski's film, which is sort of insane, ugly, blackly comic and completely desperate.

Location shooting was hit-or-miss for me. I liked the use of real Skye terrain and stuff, looks great, and the costumes were great, but if you're going to shoot the movie actually in Scotland why would you not use the actual locations instead of some boring CGI castle? The movie was too fast but the play is actually too fast as well.

Overall a solid movie, some great setpieces and performances, glad I went to see it.
>>
>>63843103
>>63843195
Fuck, torrent when? I really wanna watch it but my shitty cinemas won't play it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.