[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do directors cast British actors in series set in fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1448769993201.jpg (202 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
1448769993201.jpg
202 KB, 1024x680
Why do directors cast British actors in series set in fantasy or historical settings?

Consider Game of Thrones. Why the fuck does everyone have a British accent? It makes no sense. It's a fantasy setting, and our suspension of disbelief is that everyone speaks English. Why does it specifically need to be British?

HBO's "Rome" did this as well? Why the fuck do the ancient Romans have a British accent? You may as well make them sound like Americans.

Sorry, but it doesn't help me get immersed in another setting to hear actors be like, "Fookin hell mate, I swear on me mum."
>>
>>63841324
Because they're English language shows. Also a lot of these shows have some sort of class system. An English accent can be both upper and lower class. It works well. Say these shows opted for American accents having the slaves speaking all ghetto wouldn't fit. Also as England is a lot older than America you can imagine people speaking as such in those kinds of settings. Could you imagine Sir Fucksalot riding up on his trusty steed and sound like some Californian surfer?
>>
Game of Thrones is based on the War of Roses, so it makes sense that they'd have an English accent.

Outside of that, who wants to listen to American accents when there are other choices?
>>
Because the US is a derivative of England and a medieval setting to us is primarily medieval England.
>>
We associate fnatasy and intelligence with the British accent. Imagine Planet Earth doc series narrated by an American that isn't Morgan Freeman.
>>
There's far more nuance and range in British accents, and RP is the most pleasing and appealing accent on Earth.
>>
>Romans
Shakespeare
>>
>>63841324

It's not just fantasy roles, British actors/actresses are routinely cast in American roles/productions because they're cheaper.
>>
>>63841324
Because RP British English is the international standard accent, Romans speaking American Accents would destroy any suspension of disbelief
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 800x339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 800x339
Post times when hiring Americans literally ruined a movie.

>Chyeah brah immurtality's yers, ya hear? take it mah man
>>
It's an accent that:

a) English audiences can understand
b) Isn't very common in America (primary target audience) so it sounds exotic
c) Doesn't have to be invented and practised by your actors because there are trained actors who already sound like that (and there's a lot of vocal coaches to teach other actors to sound British)
>>
Also British actors have GOAT training and are relatively cheap
>>
Why do they speak English in a fantasy setting? Why not pig latin exclusively?

Why aren't they all bright pink?

Why don't they have 3 eyes and 10 arms?
>>
>>63841324
Now you realise the true power of the Empire.
>>
They couldn't find someone who isn't fat.
>>
>>63842225
Underrated post
>>
American accents would take you out of it
>>
>>63841324
Because "muh theatre reference"
Seriously, it started with the era of holywood peplums. American actors played in westerns in which body expressivity mattered more, while clasically trained british actors played in historical movies with more dialog.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
>YOU AIN'T GETTIN' BY ME BRAH
>>
>>63842078
Americans were the Invading Greek
British were the Defending Trojans

How did i miss this all these years.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.