[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /tv/'s thoughts on the 2009 Star Trek reboot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: Uhura.jpg (86 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Uhura.jpg
86 KB, 1280x800
What's /tv/'s thoughts on the 2009 Star Trek reboot?

Watching it now on Channel 4, quite enjoyable so far. Quinto as Spock is a sublime casting choice.
>>
>>63840259
Pretty good tech demo for TFA
>>
>>63840259
this movie really made me hate zoe saldana

it's a shame, i'm sure she's a nice lass in real life, but if i ever meet her in real life i'll probably punch her in the face
>>
it's fun, the story is poor but the characters are good apart from the mary-sue lead
>>
quinto came off as too much of a dick to me.
movie's pretty good. didn't really like TOS that much so i didn't care too much about the changes.
>>
File: Nichols31.jpg (23 KB, 450x262) Image search: [Google]
Nichols31.jpg
23 KB, 450x262
I liked it a lot. The prologue especially was good and Urban/Greenwood as McCoy/Pike was great casting. The only downside to me was Saldana was a shit Uhura, and Nero was an underdeveloped villian.

The green chick was hot af too

STID was crap though.
>>
>>63840259
A lot of die-hard Trekkies hate JJ's Star Trek movies.

I personally liked them. I thought they were fun summer block-busters adventure films, which is what I guess Trekkies had a problem with.
>>
>>63840367
>edgy
>>
>>63840419
>quinto came off as too much of a dick to me.
Isn't that kinda the point of Spock, eve more so as a youngster?
>>
>>63840424
>The only downside to me was Saldana was a shit Uhura
Why, she was hardly in it.
>>
>>63840259
that glass wearing kike sure likes ugly ectomorph women.
>>
File: typical 4chan faggot2.jpg (49 KB, 407x405) Image search: [Google]
typical 4chan faggot2.jpg
49 KB, 407x405
>>63840676
>zaldana
>ugly
>>
>>63840377
Hm....
>>
File: 78654356789.jpg (18 KB, 618x254) Image search: [Google]
78654356789.jpg
18 KB, 618x254
>"Hi, Christopher -- I'm Nero..."
MFW
>>
It's fine as a summer movie but very forgettable.

Not very much like Star Trek.
>>
>>63840940
Very much like Star Wars though
>>
File: 658765768.png (49 KB, 749x452) Image search: [Google]
658765768.png
49 KB, 749x452
Terrible

Just like everything JJ vomits into existence.
>>
Great cast. Chris Pine legit feels like he was Shatner's son.

Can't recall the story.
>>
>>63840599
I don;t know, Nimoy's Spock didn't feel as cold and dickish to me
>>
>>63841333
Isn't coldness part of his character?
>>
>transwarp beaming

JJ Abrams needs to get rid of his yes-men around him, and someone with a knowledge in the subject he is working on to step up to him and say "JJ, that is fucking retarded"

Transwarp beaming on Trek

Starkiller base that can destroy entire star systems lightyears away with no time delay on The Force Awakens
>>
>>63840259
It's great. I don't like when people say the 2009 Star Trek movie is "mindless action", because clearly a lot of thought and effort went into the film. It may not had the philosophical posturing or sense of exploration you personally want from a Star Trek film, but taken on its own merits outside of the franchise it happens to belong to, it's a very strong movie. It has heartfelt themes that resonate with the audience, an ensemble cast of well-written characters with their own individual voices, and it's sense of spectacle never becomes dull.

If the movie wasn't called Star Trek I feel like it would be one of the highest praised action films of the decade. I can understand hating it because it doesn't feel like Trek, but I never liked that shit anyway so who cares.
>>
>>63840259
>Spock having a girlfriend, and it's a nigger
Dumbest shit ever. Bravo JJ
>>
>>63842466
>>>/pol/
>>
Endurable compromise that does not stoop too low for the unwashed masses.
The Nokia ad thoroughly annoyed me to the point that it's one of the main reason to never watch it again.
>>
>>63840259
People try to compare a series of movies with hundreds of supporting TV episodes to reboot that has to establish everything on its own

zzz
>>
>>63840259
Looked pretty good, some good action scenes, completely failed to get Star Trek or any of the characters.
>>
>>63840259
Watched it yesterday. I liked it but visually it was a mess. The shaky cam and action sequences took the whole movie hostage and there were rarely moments for introspection or building any sort of proper tension or atmosphere.

It was as if the director was scared that his audience would get bored with the movie, so he made it as flashy and energetic as he could. Which is all well and good but you need more sober moments to balance out the explosive, bombastic action.
>>
>>63840259
It was garbage. It played like a commercial and it had basically nothing to do with Star Trek.

>>63840424
"HEY GUYS, REMEMBER HOW CAPTAIN KIRK FUCKS ALIENS AND HOW THE SPECIAL EFFECTS IN THE ORIGINAL SERIES WERE SO BAD AND CHEAP? LOOK HE IS LITERALLY FUCKING A GREEN WOMAN IN THIS MOVIE! HAHA! JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL SERIES, RIGHT GUYS?"
>>
>>63840259
LENS FLARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
Also Zoe a qt.
>>
>>63841745
you can be logical and suppress emotion without being cold. hell, nimoy does it in the movie.
>>
>>63843387
But Nimoy is playing an elderly, experienced and wise Spock. Qunito is playing him straight out of the academy, he's not built the relationship with Kirk, or the others.
>>
>>63841745
Quintos spock is actually really angry
Nimoys performances were utterly emotionless, quintos is like this crazy guy is about to explode
>>
>>63843387
But Nimoy plays the older, wiser, warmer version of Spock, obviously. You're supposed to see the disparity, Spock has to develop as a character.
>>
>>63840259
A blig eacismilf
>>
>>63843475
>utterly emotionless
he was delightfully dry and sardonic
>>
>>63843475
Quinto's spock is on the brink of deciding his path, choosing between his Human and Vulcan lineages. Old spock has chosen Vulcan.
>>
>>63840259

The relationship between Uhura and Spock is the most stupid thing I ever saw in any flick. How did that started going? Are you telling me that Spock flirted with her? Or that her flirted with him? Fucking Jew Jew man
>>
>>63843573
>Old spock has chosen Vulcan
Fucking incredibly wrong. TMP Spock had chosen Vulcan. Old Spock had found a balance between both sides due to the events of STII-VI.
>>
>>63843627
I'm guessing there was a directive from Paramount to force in some romance element. Didn't really work though.
>>
>>63843627
>>63843938
It's just a standard love triangle, audiences eat that shit up.
>>
this is what TFA will be like in 6 years
>>
>>63840259
I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I like it a lot

It's just not a Star Trek movie
>>
>>63840259
It's ok, the casting was actually really good all around.
>>
>>63843938
>>63843967

And of all people, they choosed Spock. This should have bombed
>>
There's nothing intelligent about any of the Star Trek series.

If you think they're hard scifi you're probably illiterate.
>>
>>63844009
TFA was almost eerie in how well they got the characters of Han, Leia & Chewbacca.
>>
>>63843461
>>63843479
true.
>>
>>63840259

Trek 2009 is ok it's a more or less hard reboot with a cast that can actually credibly do an action movie, which was always a problem with the old casts. Its not great by any means (needs a better villain) but it sets up an alternate timeline that can take the franchise in a new direction. This is in complete opposition to SW VII which doesn't even try to do anything original with the property.

Into Darkness is the real problem and it kind of brings down st 2009 because its so bad.
>>
>>63840259
It's Abram's best Star Wars movie.
>>
>>63844170
Aside from his lens flare fetish JJ is a good director, he's just either unable to tell when he has been given a bad script or he just doesn't care enough to make major changes to a bad script.
>>
File: 1450477304429.jpg (44 KB, 610x344) Image search: [Google]
1450477304429.jpg
44 KB, 610x344
>>63844169
>completely missing the point of Star Trek

I feel like you thought what you were saying was smart or halfway intelligent but really you said absolutely nothing of worth at all whatsoever. Why are you even here? Clearly television, fiction, sci-fi and storytelling in general isn't a passion of yours as you have demonstrated so completely with a comment so lacking in insight that you have outed yourself as a fucking idiot.

If you want go fit in here I suggest lurking and doing some of your own research. I'm guessing that you don't come on 4chan often and you're on school holidays right now.
>>
So are we writing off Beyond or what?
>>
>>63845634
Yep.
>>
>>63845634
>written by simon pegg
>directed by justin lin

I think this will be a nail in the coffin for the reboot Star Trek
>>
>>63842603
>redirecting shitposter
>and it's a nigger

Bravo Nigger Anon
>>
>>63846124
que?
>>
>>63845996
Nop.
>>
Both Jew Trek films are pretty good. I enjoy watching them while I drink Jack.
>>
Complete garbage:

>red matter bullshit that can DESTROY THE ENTIRE GALAXY!1!
>Nimoy Spock just happens to run into Kirk on ice planet
>Scotty has a mini me sidekick
>Enterprise bridge looks like an ipod
>Enterprise engine room looks like a brewery
>Vulcan destroyed for some reason
>Romulan villain hates Spock because Spock tried his hardest to help save Romulus
>Klingons in the past had Romulan ship from 30 years in the future and did NOTHING with it
>lots of running and shooting and running and shooting
>Romulan weapon is a drill. The Vulcan and Earth didn't have so much as a slingshot to fire at it.
>Earth sends away entire fleet for some reason, leaving planet 100% undefended.
>Kobayashi Maru test horrible beyond belief
>Kirk becomes Captain after 1 mission

Anyone who likes this is a pleb retard.
>>
>>63840259
I like it.
>>
It's a solid scifi blockbuster with a shitty, shitty sequel that killed any desire I have for more.
>>
File: 1450568174239.jpg (207 KB, 500x673) Image search: [Google]
1450568174239.jpg
207 KB, 500x673
I hate the original series but I love DS9 and TNG. The reboot pretty much takes Star Trek in a direction that is not Star Trek at all, generic action films that are set in the Star Trek universe don't interest me and I'm not a fan of Abrams movies. I find his films pretty brainless.
>>
>>63843184
It's funny how "Captain Kirk bangs green aliens" became a meme in the 1970's when it was Captain Pike who actually did fuck a green woman.
>>
>>63847282
>>>Enterprise engine room looks like a brewery
One of my major issues with JJTrek.

Also it was a fucking brewery too that it was shot in.

Lazy fucking hacks.
>>
bellend
>>
>>63840259
hnnnnnnnnggggggggg
>>
What a shit
>>
>>63847282
>Kirk becomes Captain after 1 mission

this was the worst part its like JJ said "this movie doesn't have enough mary sue.. I know lets retcon kirk to be one!"
>>
>>63847282
>>red matter bullshit that can DESTROY THE ENTIRE GALAXY!1!
extremely common to the franchise along with technobabble

>>Nimoy Spock just happens to run into Kirk on ice planet
minor fault some plot convenience is to be expected

>>Scotty has a mini me sidekick
doesn't say much and he needs a foil
>>Enterprise bridge looks like an ipod
mostly just badly shot, too many low angles and lens flares
>>Enterprise engine room looks like a brewery
agreed might be due to budget or lack of time
>>Vulcan destroyed for some reason
raises the stakes and helps separate this timeline from the original
>>Romulan villain hates Spock because Spock tried his hardest to help save Romulus
he was crazy and unreasonable, needed to be better developed however.
>>Klingons in the past had Romulan ship from 30 years in the future and did NOTHING with it
Klingons aren't the brightest bulbs in the galaxy. Still an plot hole agreed.
>>lots of running and shooting and running and shooting
big budget action movie not a TV series or even a hard scifi movie
>>Romulan weapon is a drill. The Vulcan and Earth didn't have so much as a slingshot to fire at it.
his ship could kill 8 top of the line starfleet ships like they were nothing and jam all planetary transmissions I assume he could take out any orbital defenses.
>>Earth sends away entire fleet for some reason, leaving planet 100% undefended.
The fleet is spread out and they don't know where the next attack will be. The best spot for a staging area might not be earth.
>>Kobayashi Maru test horrible beyond belief
rushed maybe but there was nothing wrong with it.
>>Kirk becomes Captain after 1 mission
he also just saved the entire federation.
>>
>>63847051
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>63846057

hopefully, then they scrap JJ verse and do a proper new series
>>
It was enjoyable, but most(if not all) time travel movies always end up suffering for not making sense.

Nero went back in time and wouldn't listen to reason when the Captain tried explaining that his home planet existed and was there. All he had to do was make a fucking phone call.

I DID end up enjoying the sequel, despite Cucumber cabbagepatch being pretty boring as a villain.
>>
1. 9/10 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
2. 8/10 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
3. 8/10 Star Trek
4. 8/10 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
5. 7/10 Star Trek: First Contact
6. 6/10 Star Trek: The Motion Picture
7. 6/10 Star Trek Into Darkness
8. 5/10 Star Trek: Nemesis
9. 4/10 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
10. 4/10 Star Trek: Generations
11. 3/10 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
12. 3/10 Star Trek: Insurrection
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.