[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can we all agree that the first 30 minutes or so were excellent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (220 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220 KB, 1200x600
So can we all agree that the first 30 minutes or so were excellent but then the movie got gradually worse as it went on?
>>
I can agree

It just started to move too quickly after the initial meeting with Han & Chewy
>>
>>63823183
yes i was so hype during the beginning.
that poe/finn shit was 10/10
2 seconds of rey character dev were 10/10
>>
>>63823183
I think it kinda fell apart when out of nowhere The Starkiller destroyed half of the galaxy and nobody even flinched, nobody cared... and then nothing that was happening after that made any sense, running around, attack plans made in 30 second long discussions.
>>
>>63823183
Yeah. The acting stayed pretty constant, but the writting and the direction got steadily worse, culminating in that shitty scene with Luke and the helicopter.
>>
>>63823183
I agree except for the ANH "give info to the droid thing".
poe/finn was legit, it's amazing how, even if the original things were good, they still decided to play it safe and basically remake ep.4
>>
Han Solo ruined this movie. He overstayed his welcome. His death at the hands of his son was hollow because there's no connection between them.

Llewyn Davis and Gorillaman should have met up with QT 3.14 and gone on space adventures, not 40 minutes of boring old man bullshit.
>>
>>63823183
>Han Solo
>scavenger scenes with Rey

Everything else was meh or crap.

No i didn't like Finn's character, he didn't act like a stormtrooper in any fashion anywhere at anytime.
>>
>>63823183
>desert orphan
>pilots freighter
>performs advanced acrobatics

I facepalmed so heard my head jerked back, and I was sitting in the back row so I bumped my head.
>>
>>63823250
It's a death star?
No it's a big death star.
Oh.
where weak point?
ok lets go.
>>
>>63823250

>nobody flinched

Fucking this. It was like a really shitty version of the Alderaan scene - it had zero emotional impact on any of the characters. In fact, we are not even told the names of the planets or at least there was no built up whatsoever.

That scene just fell flat on its face when it have ignited the central conflict of the movie (aside from the Han/Kylo plotline of course).
>>
>>63823183
watching grandpa ford play pretend in a han solo costume was bad enough but it really started falling apart on the rebel base.
>>
I disagree, it did start out strong and shit, but it wasn't that it was good for 30 and then not good - it was good throughout with some HORRIBLE moments.
>>
>>63823337
>>63823250

Everything about the starkiller base was rushed.
When Nazi McFly held his speech and the lazer shot into the sky I thought it was just a power demonstration but then half a dozen planets exploded out of nowhere.

There was no sense whatsoever where the base was, which planets got destroyed or what anyone's intentions were.

The whole starkiller thing was handled terrible and the movie would have been much better had it just been cut completely...
>>
I really feel that the biggest fault of the movie is that it tried to draw too many parallels to New Hope. So instead of a new star wars movie we got what was essentially a reboot that didn't actually reboot anything. I can only hope now that they got that out of the way the next episodes can be something more original.
>>
>>63823443

No. The first act was consistent and overall great.

The rest of the run time it felt like the movie was always on the brink of falling completely apart - with some great scenes sprinkled in (kylo,rey duel for example). Not saying it was terrible, it just didn't hold up to the promising first act...
>>
>>63823529
>The first act

Funny how having been on /tv/ for so long I can now tell who to avoid by the little words they use.
>>
>>63823183
I wouldn't call it excellent, but the first 30 minutes were very good. Jakku was a great setting.

Then the pace never slows down and we hit a lull... then it just got worse and worse and worse in every way until we're treated to that fucking helicopter shot
>>
>>63823564
Everything on Jakku pretty much was the first act. All four characters are established.
>>
>>63823349
Yeah, I was even getting ready to feel something, I was open for being sad when they shown the panicked people from the planet that was getting destroyed. But then, cut, back to Han Solo shooting people without even looking. There goes my emotional involvement. And I usually don't really need much.
>>
>>63823974
>shooting people without even looking
that sounds reckless of him
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 144x146) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 144x146
>>63823564

>getting teiggered by the word first act

Here are some other little words that may make you lose your shit:
camera
angle
scene
cut
plot
character
cinematography
director
frame
>>
>>63823183
yes. the pacing changed from very slow to rushing through the second part of the movie
>>
>>63823183
Yes. Same shit as Trek '09
>>
I can agree with that. Finn and Poe's escape was great and Kylo Ren was cool and effective right until the mask came off and the angst began.

After that there were still good elements (lightsabre fight, canteen scene, Han Solo being his grumpy self) but big question marks as well.

Rey beating down Kylo made for a good scene, but it's fucking disastrous for the sequels because where do we go from there? He gets bionic arms? More force powers? He's already been discredited as a threat and that's a big mistake.

And for a film aping the success of the very first star wars, they completely failed to build the tension like in a new hope before the death star blows up. It just wasn't there.

Good, better than the prequels and gets a recommendation from me, but not great.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.