[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I can handle myself!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 5
File: 1450458129563.jpg (132 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
1450458129563.jpg
132 KB, 900x470
I think I can handle myself!
>>
>>63820512
She doesn't say that.
>>
>>63820512
>I think I can handle myself!
>Doesn't know how to work the blaster
>Gets captured.
>>
>>63820523
what does she say then?
>>
Is she gonna fight the storm troopers with her fists? What the fuck did she even mean by this?
Hate this bitch, the more I think about her.
>>
>>63820512
I'LL FIGHT MALE CIS SCUM WITH THE POWER OF MY VAGINA
>>
>>63820512
I'm glad shes also good at using the laser gun after she figures out how it works

My tiny monkey brain would be so confused if the main character wasn't absolutely amazing at everything she tries. It was dumb when Han Solo dies she should have brought him back to life with the force and then went back in time and killed Kylo Ren and blew up the Starkiller before it was even made. Also she'd say some cool line while doing it.
>>
>>63820562

She's autistic.
>>
>>63820512
HINT HINT JEZEBEL, WE'RE ACKNOWLEDGING THAT THE DAMSEL DISTRESS TROPE IS SO PASSE'! PLEASE FORGIVE THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY FOR IT'S PAST MICROAGGRESSIONS! SEE OUR MOVIE!
>>
File: what.jpg (21 KB, 450x326) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
21 KB, 450x326
>>63820512
>she plans on fighting in a war with unga bunga sand stick
>>
Why do all the trailers keep using the Binary Sunset song?
>>
Where the fuck can they go with her character from here?

She's basically learned everything already
>>
Was anyone else expecting a full on make out scene between her and bongo?
>>
>>63820512
Was he mansplaining to her?
>>
>>63820651
It worked though. Once you've got diversity and feminism in your flick it will be almost illegal to say anything bad about it.

Like fury road, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but it's praised by all critics and some people will attack you if you say anything bad about it.
>>
>>63820594
FROM MY POINT IF VIEW THE VAGINA ARE EVIL
>>
>>63820752
Yes. It's probably coming in the next movie.
>>
I think they tried to give her a hard-ass debonair vine that Princess Leia had ( you know, for poetry's sake) but failed and only made her some strong womyn whose character was built around her being a strong womyn,

I swear, jj didn't even study the OT
>>
>>63820777
Hyperbole just makes you look like an idiot
>>
>>63820547
>"I'm a jedi I have a vay jay jay. And when I schlick I schlick with full force."
>>
I'M A GIRL BUT I CAN DO THINGS
>>
>>63820777
as much as I remember of Fury Road, Furiosa didn't make wink and nod everytime about tropes.

>Muh fight with Max scene
Bitch, the guy was held captive, used as literal blood donor, & head first into a sand storm.
>>
>/tv/ complains she's a mary sue who's good at everything
>doesn't know how to use a blaster
>/tv/ complains she doesn't know how to use a blaster
Women can never win with you lot, can they?
>>
>>63820512
She kept that fucking faggot stick the entire movie because it's the only thing which gives her personality.
>>
>>63820941
..And get her off. But now she knows the force She can air pound her own pussy.
>>
>>63820880
They're you go, Immediately like a dog off it's leash it attacks me for being a heretic that dares to not like fury road.
>>
I just kept thinking how much she reminds me of Kiera knightly and Princess Leia trying to hold her dentures in when she talked
>>
>>63820737
I didn't understand how she was such a good pilot, did she have any previous in flight experience? It looked like she had been on the planet since she was like 6 and obviously wasn't very mechanically gifted. just look at the shithole of a house she was living in
>>
>>63820937
I didn't know women were trying to win the approval of 4chan.
>>
>>63820737
Now she has to learn the obvious truth that Luke is her father. Gotta get in the "No, I am your father" line because it's like poetry. The question is where the fuck does the story go from here now that the New Order/Empire has been completely destroyed (again)?
>>
>>63820937
she literally can use that blaster better than most of the storm troopers who you would have assumed had been trained how to use them. storm troopers fire over 1000000 shots at her and misses every single time. fires blaster twice and headshot
>>
>>63820937
>/tv/ complains she's a mary sue who's good at everything
No, partly true but not really. She was a scavenger, she atleast knows how to rumble. But suddenly mastering force persuasion and reaching RoTJ Luke's skill in lightsaber prowess is just bullshit and you know it. She might as well have casted force lightning.
>>
>>63820857
her character having that kind of mindset despite growing up in a shithole was inherently implausible. that's not how you'd write that character.

it was a failure to match form with content making the character inherently crappy.
>>
>>63821101
The persuasion scene was dumb, but I felt like it wasn't her that was amazing with a lightsaber, but kylo who was all around weak. He had a tough time just fighting one stormtrooper with a saber
>>
>>63820777
The thing is that Mad Max was not feminist crap. Furiosa is a hard bitch and she handles herself really well, but the thing is she wouldn't have gotten even past the canyon without max. And Max would be hunted down and killed without Furiosa. THEY NEEDED EACH OTHER. Two survivors in this struggle against the baddies.

Now Star Wars... Rea can fly ships she never flew, escape from captivity easily, learn force powers practically through hacks, disarm and defeat a sith in training (first time with saber), and so on. Finn is kinda there. I really can't think of a single time Finn was of ANY use.

In short, Furiosa and Max: Coop Adventure. Rea and Finn: Mary sue and Jar Jar lite.
>>
There wasn't any character development or arc for her. She's already a badass at the start of the movie and ended the movie as a badass. At the very least, they could have had her lose the lightsaber fight to Kylo so she realizes she isn't as great as she thinks she is. That way she has a reason to go see Luke for training.
>>
>>63821239
>The thing is that Mad Max was not feminist crap.
Tell that to the feminists. They're the ones who will poke your eyes out for not liking it.
>>
>>63821101
how on earth did she know that jedi's could use the persuasion technique in the first place. Jedi's are a complete myth to her.
>>
>>63821288
maybe she should have a scar on her face at least after the fight. It seems totally unbelievable that she grew up on a desert planet where each day was a constant fight for survival withut so much as a tan and a perfectly clean outfit/skin
>>
>>63821289
Feminists can think whatever the crap they want, they obviously don't understand the movie. Which is fucking sad considering the movie had VERY basic plot and character elements and was generally focused on the action.

If you hate it because you think its feminist crap, your wrong. If you like it because you think its feminist crap, you are wrong.
>>
>>63821344
At the very least the fight could have been a stalemate! Then make number 2 a win for the sith, then 3 the light prevails. Simple shit.
>>
>>63821383
I hate it because it's a piece of shit. There's nothing to understand. Stop trying to make a shitty mindless action movie some form of high art.
>>
>>63820777
>>63820915
What made you hate mad max?
>>
>A New Hope
Luke is a poor moisture farmer who wants to become a pilot. He knows nothing of the real world and without Obi-Wan would have gotten captured and/or killed in under a minute. As the movie progresses, we see him become more confident as he learns new techniques. At the end of the movie, he uses what he learned to save the day and destroy the Death Star.

>The Force Awakens
Rey is a scavenger who knows how to fight and can take care of herself. Han Solo shows up and tells her about the Force, which she instantly masters without any training. At the end of the movie, she wins a lightsaber fight against someone who has been training for 25+ years in the ways of the Force and lightsaber fighting because she's just inherently so much better than everyone else.

One is an actual character, the other is a Mary Sue.
>>
What's with all the sassy characters in kid movies/shows? When my niece and nephew are watching a cartoon, it's always a sassy character being full of him/herself and knowing better.
>>
isn't literally the entire point of this scene to show that despite rey's talents she's still pretty cocky? han has seen this shit before - young, talented, thinks too much of themselves, gets themselves killed - that's why he's giving her a blaster.

when she tells him she can look after herself, he acknowledges that she can and that's why he's helping her. and of course she'd initially turn down a blaster - finn literally complains about there being no blasters during that chase scene at the beginning, so it makes sense that she'd rather stick to what she knew. she's not a blue haired feminist you retards it's literally just staying consistent with the character

and as for her being able to use a blaster after a couple of shots with it and this somehow making her a mary sue, i'm sorry but have you never seen a movie before? you can't break the flow of the film with a fuckin week long training scene with daisy ridley running in a fucking swamp with han on her back doing backflips and shooting shit, she's just got to do it on the fly - better for the movie structurally

but of course you faggots are just looking for an excuse to be contrarian and hate on the movie so i guess this post won't change anything
>>
>>63821576
The fact that it's a bad movie? It's non-stop sloppy mindless action and explosions. It's nicely made from a technical perspective, but the movie itself is shit.
>>
>>63821654
>masters literally everything she does in 10 seconds
>not a Mary Sue
>>
>>63821589
>someone who has been training for 25+ years
>implying that kylo ren is some kind of wunderkind sith lord genius

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

>flips out when disappointed and smashes shit
>none of the calm power of vader
>shows little to no actual mastery of the force other than having natural force sensitivity
>can't even build a lightsaber right
>>
>>63821729
>wahhhhhhhh a woman can do things in a movie

people pick up skills way faster in action movies have you literally never noticed this trope before it applied to a woman
>>
>>63821654
I think they should have used one of those passage of time things between th point that rey meets han to when she is captured they literately have two lines to each other before they are separated. then she becomes so distraught over hans death and then consoles leia about it they barely fucking knew each other
>>
>>63820737
To the Dark Side. It's the only way.
>>
>>63821766
you make a good point here
chewie should have consoled leia, not rey

this did stick in my craw a little
>>
>>63821052
> The Order of Ren has seven knights. There's plenty of material for sequels.
>>
>>63821729
it's really not that hard to shoot shit mang

as for the lightsaber battle, we see in the beginning that she knew how to handle herself with that stick thing and Kylo was wounded like 18 times before they fought.
>>
I think Luke did some Jedi mind trick on Rey to make her forget abut her ealy childhood. Better to hide her from Kilo.
>>
>>63821730
>stops a blaster shot in mid-flight
>no actual master of the force

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>63821786
>>63821052
Accidentally green-arrowerd, sorry
>>
>>63821754
>it's ok for a character to be 2 dimensional because it's a woman

ok m8
>>
>>63821805
I feel like the gore on the wound was toned down alot to what it should have been. I wante more guts and blood like the wound should have been rather than disney catering for their young audience.
>>
>>63821754
>Watch Gordon Ramsay cook
>cook the same thing on television
>I now have the same skills have Gordon Ramsay
Can't wait for my TV show now. I'm going to smoke that Sheep-Shagger
>>
>>63821866
are you fucking retarded?

i'm talking about how in movies characters get used to things like killing incredibly quickly dipshit, not irl
>>
>>63821589
I agree she is a Mary Sue. However, there are some clues that she was trained in the Force before she was left in the planet and simply forgot.
>>
>>63821851
>implying that rey is two dimensional

literally everything she does in the final act is seeded earlier in the movie you thick fuck
>>
>>63821905
Yes, because Luke became a jedi master the moment he picked up a lightsaber and crushed darth vader in the very first fight with him, right?

But no it's ok for Rey because she's a woman who don't need no man.
>>
>>63821606
It is a kid's and women's power fantasy. They like to pretend they can handle themselves because they are being told what to do all the time.
>>
>>63821932
Rey is as two dimentional as a chuck norris or steven seagull character. It's exactly what she is actually, a steven seagul character, just one has a vagina.
>>
>>63821654
I don't hate the movie. I don't even dislike Rey. But she IS a Mary Sue, denying that is just pathetic.
>>
>>63821754
Dude, it took Luke a movie and a yeti to Force pull his lightsaber and even then he struggles. What shitty movies are you watching?
>>
>>63821947
no but he held his own

meanwhile, that fight against kylo ren was stacked against him from the beginning, makes sense that she could defeat him

>bowcaster shot to the stomach
>mentally all kinds of fucked up
>had just been in a fight with finn, exhausted
>had just been wounded in said fight
>still fucks rey's shit up
>still escapes alive

nobody's doing well in this fight man, both rey and kylo are basically just kids fighting in this one

by ep8 then we might see a legit fight
>>
>>63822034
>no but he held his own
After he trained with yoda and still had his arm chopped off. Rey easily defeated Kylo Ren.

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you? Let me guess, you're a feminist, right? That's the only reason why you would defend this cardboard cutout of a character.
>>
>>63822028
i'll concede that point, but luke is still able to go from shooting womprats to blowing up a fucking death star in the course of like ten minutes playing with an x wing
>>
>>63822089
see the rest of my post

y'know the bit directly beneath the line you quoted

dumbfuck
>>
>>63821754
Luke was blessed to have a capable posse, a old jedi master, a smuggler, & Princess Commanding Rebel Officer. He was just there to be the audience avatar.
>>
>>63822116
>>63822136
Kill yourself.
>>
>>63822155
wow ebin argument friend, really convinced me there ;^)
>>
>>63822116
The aiming hud did most of the work despite Ghost Kenobi talking to him. Also he was fortunate enough to be the front of a suicide run while porkins and red cucks that were standing by had the misfortune of being his meat shield. Also literally saved by Han while getting gunned down by Vader. Luke was useless shit that did one thing by himself and still needed fucking help.
>>
>>63822116
You can't be serious. Has feminist indoctrination melted your brain?
>>
>>63822116
It's heavily implied Luke was a incridible pilot during the whole film. Also, it's pretty much stablished in Star Wars that all ships are basically the same, like cars.
>>
>>63821052
It's going to be:
>No, I'm not your father.
With a patronizing tone, after she breaks down and starts believing she's related to Kylo and Vader.
>>
>>63822222
I don't like this post but who am I to argue with quints?
>>
>>63822222
Quints confirms. Also, Rey is the daughter of Wedge Antilles.
>>
>>63822222
quints witnessed

rey not luke's child confirmed
>>
>>63820512
you go girl!
so brave ;_;
>>
So are you hating it, /tv/?
Just watched it, thought it was pretty good.
>>
>ywn make passionate love with her and she decides to sit on your cock and ride you whilst saying this

Why live?
>>
>>63822482
well the movie was made with cucks in mind. Glad you got your enjoyment anyway.
>>
>>63820512
DUDE VAPE LMAO
>>
>>63822516
well meme'd, my man
>>
>>63820737

There are already theories that say her memory was erased like Revan and she already trained under Luke.
>>
>>63822542
& now Jar Jar Abrams steals from video games too? Is there anything he won't steal?
>>
>>63821654

Except thats exactly what EsB did and its the reason it worked.

At this point, niggerboi and edgelord are way better protagonists than the ACTUAL main hero.
>>
>>63821606
It hay been like that since forever

Lisa Simpson, Ratchet, Carmen Sandiego, Wendy from South Park, Baloo's ex-wife boss etc
>>
Is it just me or was the acting really better than in other Star Wars movies?
>>
>>63822651
did you not know? They just discussed the new face motion capture they can do these days. It's like autotunes for your face.
>>
>>63822542
does anyone else think this sort of shit is complete bullcrap? like, you can wait for people to point out your mistakes and just ''explain'' them with supernatural shit in the next movie.
and since there's gonna be infiniti starwars movies, they can do this forever.
>>
>>63822482
well the movie was made with nostalgiafags in mind. Glad you got your pandering anyway.
>>
>>63822741
Is such a thing even possible?
>>
>>63822779
well the prequels were different and got shit on for decades for not being like the prequels. Seems like the winning move was to not do anything.
>>
File: K634Yg0.gif (2 MB, 480x271) Image search: [Google]
K634Yg0.gif
2 MB, 480x271
>>63822812
>>
>>63820728
>nostalgia
>noun nos·tal·gia \nä-ˈstal-jə, nə- also nȯ-, nō-; nə-ˈstäl-\

>pleasure and sadness that is caused by remembering something from the past and wishing that you could experience it again

It's Disney pulling a Jedi mind trick on the entire planet.
>>
blu ray rip when?
>>
>>63821671
I mean, what are you into? I liked it
But one main gripe I have, which applies to alot of movies, is how MANY chances the bad guys had to achieve what they were trying to do.

Like that fat faggot who's the son of the main bad guy had a rifle he shot in the air, where was that rifle when he was getting rekt by the main characters?
>>
>>63822874
don't worry there will be a webrip first.
>>
>>63821767
That would make Luke like the most incompetent Jedi teacher ever. He should like really consider a career change.
>>
>Friendly reminder that Kennedy and Abrams will be so determined not to be accused of creating a "weak" or "outdated" female character that Rey will be without any weaknesses or shortcomings. She'll quip her way from strart to finish, defeating every man in her path with all of the emotion of a robot. Kennedy and Abrams will not understand that a character's bravery and admiribality comes from their vulnerability. They will not understand that a character arc is completely unsatisfying if said character was already an invulnerable mary sue to begin with.

Was I correct, /tv/?
>>
Oh it shows Rey, it shows
>>
>>63823239
I remember this post. You were right
>>
>>63820512
Unless they perform some major backtracking, the only place left to take her character is over to the dark side and Kylo the other way.

Which will almost certainly happen.
>>
>>63821754
Fuck, Even after his development as Jedi Master, he needed his own dad's help to take out the emperor. I guess i don't blame you for not having seen the original trilogy because it didn't have enough 3D effects and quips for you, but if there's one thing you can never say about Luke is that he's a fucking Gary Stu.
>>
>>63823506
So Kylo literally is Revan?
>>
>>63823524
I don't know about EU shit. What happens to Revan?
>>
>>63820737
Kylo will be stronger, and she has to prepare for that. The usual Dragonball Z stuff.
>>
Kylo Ren reminds me of Zuko from ATLA
>>
>>63820562
She fought people with her staff, autism-chan.
>>
>>63823239
I was one of the people telling you that was horseshit
I'm sorry anon, you were right
>>
>>63821052
>The question is where the fuck does the story go from here now that the New Order/Empire has been completely destroyed (again)?

what the fuck are you talking about. THis wasn't in the movie
>>
>>63820512
Mary Sue's more powerful than any man and apparently any force user before her. Jar Jar Abrahams done fucked it up, didn't he? The damn nigger was the only person in this movie I actually wished was in it throughout. Ain't that some shit. Boyega should have been the Protagonist and Rey some exiled Jedi with a questionable past.
>>
>>63822089
I don't defend Rey but Kylo. He has a stomach wound. Obviously he would have been outmatched by a small kid. I still think it wa sstupi to show him defeated at the end of the first movie, but there is no reason to think he lost out of weakness and not out of a wound to the stomach.
>>
File: the bazinga squad.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the bazinga squad.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1080
I can't wait for the Big Bang Theory writing material this movie will bring. I can see it now, whole episode about Sheldon and gang mourning the loss of Han Solo. Penny will just insert her opinion they're over-reacting overreacting, "Lol, it's just a movie!" in which Leonard will turn around with questioned response "JUST a movie?!", they'll need the ambulance on standby for all the stitches the audience will need for their sides. Then they try holding a whole funeral over a movie character and then as Sheldon gives a eulogy in honor of Han, he'll go into detail in EU stuff, which Howard would interrupt, "that's not canon!"
>>
>>63823239
nice. Exactly
>>
>>63821052
I'm guessing Snoke will concoct a brilliant real estate development sheme, Luke will become a weird stalker figure, and Rey is going to kill someone using the power of asthma and a piano.
>>
>>63821101
> reaching RoTJ Luke's skill in lightsaber prowess

lolwut
Beating an injured Kylo deson't mean she's anywhere near the guy who defeated prime Vader.
>>
>>63824023
SW7 was made by that bland faggot who's the main character of that shit show. Jay Jay Roseanne?
>>
>>63820891
full kekkerino
>>
>>63822813
>got shit on for decades for not being like the prequels
Nah, they got shit on because they were shit movies
>>
>>63824106
>prime Vader

Ok m8. Vader was an old robot that wanted to be defeated by Luke.

Rey has already surpassed Luke.
>>
>>63825439
>Rey has already surpassed Luke.
Maybe we should test her midichlorines?
>>
hello anons, does anyone have the picture for the senate restructuring explaining the politics of the film

please help thank you

hello anons, does anyone have the picture for the senate restructuring explaining the politics of the film

please help thank you

please help thank you

please help thank you
>>
File: mr speaker.jpg (285 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
mr speaker.jpg
285 KB, 1600x1200
>>63826012
I am the senate.
>>
Does nobody realize that the Force aids with piloting, targeting, and aiming?

Obi Kenobi even uses one effectively and he hates the things.
>>
Feminists can rejoice at Disney Corporation's calculated political correctness.
>>
>>63826107
What's your point? Kenobi had life long training from Qui Gon and Yoda.

"I think I can handle myself" literally made no sense in the context of the scene or the time in the movie. It was in there for the same reason "we've got one!" and "stop holding my hand" was in there.
>>
>>63826183
Because it shows she's cocky and wrong constantly. She needed the blaster and Han figured she would. Even then she couldn't handle herself.

A little after the "holding my hand" quip she literally grabs Boyega's to escape.

Those lines and shots are obviously there to appease the part of the audience that gives a fuck about the feminism and whatnot, but it could have been so much worse and obtrusive than it was.
>>
>>63826183
>>63826310
There was literally no reason for that line to be there other than to be this jab at the Original Trilogy for not having genderfluid otherkins in a space opera series or something. As if They thought Leia was acting as a Damsel in the entire trilogy or something?
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.