[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why the hell were the rebels renamed "the resistance"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
So why the hell were the rebels renamed "the resistance" when they're clearly the neo-republican military?
Did Abram's not want the good guys to be called "the Republicans"?

Also, why did both sides leave all their big warships at home during this very critical battle?
>>
>when they're clearly the neo-republican military
they aren't. they are probably space mujahedeen in the 80ies Afghanistan war.
>Also, why did both sides leave all their big warships at home during this very critical battle?
Jew Jew hates militaristc stuff (like all from his race), so he added only one token, boring battle.
Oh, and a casual genocide.
>>
>>63807203
>Strident class Dreadnough
Can't find any info, doesn't exist. Who made it up?
>>
>they are probably space mujahedeen in the 80ies Afghanistan war.
I'd say they're more like WW2 Soviet partisans in space.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>EU
>>
>>63807203
Glib facsimile.
>>
File: 2326666.png (153 KB, 220x299) Image search: [Google]
2326666.png
153 KB, 220x299
A common prequel complaint I never bought into was the 'confusing" politics. People derailed it and JJ took it to heart, having 0 politics in this movie. Instead, he just figured the audience could get it on their own.

And that's fine and dandy, but in Episode 4 it was clear there was a big evil empire and a noble rebellion. THat wasn't the case here, which had a far more complicated political situation. But JJ, in insistence for his passive aggressive prequel hate, still didn't allow any explanation as to what was going on for fears that Plinkett would make a parody video of him snooring to "trade disputes".

The result was the only confusing star wars movie. The prequel stuff never confused me, even at 10 years old when I first saw TPM. But I had zero idea of what was going on here. What is the resistance and its relation to the Republic? What is the relationship between the First Order and Empire? Where is the New Republic Based? What were those planets Death Star 3 blew up? Why are notable rebel leaders such as Ackbar and Leia not involved with the republic anymore? Why isn't the Republic fighting the First Order? Why is the First Order called the First Order and not the Empire/Imperial Remnant? What's the status of Courascant?

The most common "explanation" is that the Republic pussied out and is content to let the empire hold territories at the edge of space, but is supporting an anti-imperial resistance in these areas. That'd make sense in the context of the movie, but it's just headcanon that fans have used to explain the lack of explanation JJ had.

As for the space battle at the ending being X-Wings vs TIE's and nothing else, this was a carbon copy of episode 4 and episode 4 didn't have any capital ships. Moreover "big space battles" is something people associate with the prequels, like Courascant (which abrams left out for some reason).

Heir to the empire made so much more sense than this clusterfuck of zero explanation and confusion.
>>
>>63807456
this
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Strident-class_Star_Defender
>>
>>63807456
No, since the first order and the Republic aren't officially at war. At least I think so.
>>
>>63807550
It also introduces a powerful and impressive antagonist from the first chapter.
>>
>>63807203
>when they're clearly the neo-republican military?

They're not. They're the Republic secretly funding/organizing anti-First Order activity outside Republic space. They're a deniable asset.

>Also, why did both sides leave all their big warships at home during this very critical battle?

The Resistance doesn't have a fleet to speak of. The Republic's fleet (or at least its command structure) was shattered at Hosnian Prime, and it's never been depicted as being as blatantly martial as the Empire. The First Order apparently doesn't have many Star Destroyers itself, the Finalizer was the only one seen at Starkiller Base, and it was apparently built in secret, as it's a violation of post-war treaties.
>>
File: Strident.jpg (322 KB, 814x633) Image search: [Google]
Strident.jpg
322 KB, 814x633
>>63807603
those are Corellian ships and look totally different than Mon Calamari Ships.
>>
>>63807504
Hearing the EU was crushed was like watching a fat kid you hate fall face first on pavement
>>
>>63807707
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viscount-class_Star_Defender
Must be this thing, but the image has it mislabelled.
>>
>>63807714
Doesn't make really sense. If you didn't like the EU, you didn't really give a fuck on Star Wars anyway.
>>
>>63807789
could be, the relations almost fit
>>
>>63807550
I skimmed through the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary at Walmart today. It said the Rebellion's victory at Endor resulted revolutions in many other Empire-controlled systems, eventually diminishing the Empire's hold on the galaxy. The New Republic was formed and a peace treaty was made with the Imperial remnants, who then absconded to 'unknown space'. They regrouped and reemerged as the First Order. The Resistance was made to fight the First Order, but the New Republic doesn't approve because of the treaty. The 'capital' of the Republic shifts from one planet to another to make things more democratic. The Starkiller destroyed the current capital of the Republic, Hosinian or whatever its called. That's all I can remember
>>
>>63808347
They should have said this then. And I bet JJ had no input on this explanation
>>
>>63807203
glibfacsimile.com
>>
>>63808347
EU 3.0 to the rescue.
>>
File: 1272931067210.jpg (128 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1272931067210.jpg
128 KB, 1024x768
>>63807792
>if you're a fan of a thing you must like all the garbage that comes with it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.