[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debate me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 612x459) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 612x459
Poe and Finn should have been merged into one character.

There's no need for both of them and the horrible pacing would have improved vastly.
>>
File: 1429680542910.gif (767 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
1429680542910.gif
767 KB, 298x298
>>63802914

>"Debate me"
>>
>>63802914
a glib facsimile
>>
But anon episode 4 had 3 main heroes and this was just a remake
>>
File: atheism1.jpg (23 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
atheism1.jpg
23 KB, 320x400
>>63802914
>Debate me
>>
>>63802914
True, but they needed a black guy to keep quota
>>
>>63802914
but then they can't be an amazing duo in 3/4 of episode 8 then betrayed and get limb cut off when he reveals he sold out to the first order.
>>
at least in this first one, the only reason for based Bro Dameron to exist is to have a known character in the death star sequence
>>
>>63802914
No, I can see it. And I really wanted Finn to not just be "Stormtrooper with cold feet" but "Luke becoming a full Jedi was like taking a wrench to the galaxy's force sensitivity release valve and Finn is a stormtrooper who 'awakens' to the light side."

But I like what we got.
>>
The Poe/Finn bromance was one of the better parts of the film.
>>
>>63803530
it had like 5 minutes of screen time bro
>>
>>63803605
It felt very forced when they hugged back at the "resistance" base. To Poe, Finn was just some pussy stormtrooper that needed a pilot. A little tension between them in this movie that dissipates in the next instalments would have made sense and could have been an arc for their eventual friendship.

But JJ was like,
>"look guys they're hugging! This is the new gang!"
>>
>>63803203
What the fuck does that even mean
>>
>>63803792
You forgot the part where Finn saved Poe's life by shooting up a Star Destroyer, and then Poe literally named Finn.
>>
The movie would have been 1000000000000x better if Finn was white. I still liked it though
>>
>>63803792
>A little tension between them in this movie that dissipates in the next instalments would have made sense and could have been an arc for their eventual friendship.

JJ couldn't copy the OT when it makes sense
>>
Poe really had no character to him. I can see the love triangle coming a mile away
>>
>>63803921
The escape was for their own self interests. They still didn't spend enough time together to warrant a scene where they run into each other's arms.

It was also weird how everyone was so accepting of and friendly to a stormtrooper. They all liked Finn but didn't think twice of killing other stormtroopers. It felt like nothing but plot convenience for the characters and audience to humanise one stormtrooper but not the rest.
>>
>>63802914
>horrible pacing
>>
>>63803966
bait
>>
>>63802914

they needed a character you cared about to be in the trench run while finn was busy pretending to be a jedi to reveal that rey was the jedi all along
>>
File: george lazenby.jpg (52 KB, 702x906) Image search: [Google]
george lazenby.jpg
52 KB, 702x906
>>63803836
such a glib reply to a perfectly good facsimile.
>>
>>63803836
Hello newfriend.
>>
>>63803836

Uneducated cretin.

It means a shallow carbon copy.
>>
>>63803836

www.glibfacsimile.com
>>
>>63802914
Nah.

They should have gotten rid of Rey.

Now you can have Finn and Poe space adventures, a much better movie.
>>
>>63804528
>They still didn't spend enough time together to warrant a scene where they run into each other's arms.

I don't think that was really the case, it's not about how them going from strangers to friend, more like people that went through rough shit together and thought the other died. They ran into each other's arms in a soldier-like feeling of relief,'' holy shit that guy that helped me actually did make it out''.

>It was also weird how everyone was so accepting of and friendly to a stormtrooper. They all liked Finn but didn't think twice of killing other stormtroopers. It felt like nothing but plot convenience for the characters and audience to humanise one stormtrooper but not the rest.

M8, it's war. You don't think twice about enemy forces, unless they willingly try to escape and work for your side.
>>
>>63804767
*it's not about them going from strangers to friends
Sorry
>>
>>63804528
you must be fun at parties.
>>
>>63804528
>They still didn't spend enough time together to warrant a scene where they run into each other's arms.
Again. They saved each other's lives. It's not just that Finn helped him break out; they were under direct attack and Finn came through for him. Poe is obviously the kind of guy who is exceedingly trusting and fast friends with everyone, let alone someone who saves his hide. You HAVE to be that kind of guy to go, "What? That's not a name. Here's a new name, it's way better." And then Finn accepts it.

Also, the other stormtroopers were trying to kill them.
>>
>>63804752
ala Rush Hour, but in space.

I would totally see a new movie with those two as friends.
>>
>>63804752
>>63803530

These niggas know what's up
>>
>>63804596
But not a single audience member was surprised by her "reveal".

Was the lightsaber coming to her supposed to be a surprise? After she had shown herself to be an expert pilot, beaten up multiple assailants, used mind control and had fucking Jedi premonitions how could anyone be shocked at the end sequence?
>>
>Finn is a stormtrooper that was recruited as a child but is good and doesen't really fit into Nazis in space organisation
>he's geniue good guy, torn between his Stormtrooper Brothers(there's a strong sense of brotherhood on a troop level in First Order) and his dreams of escaping and living a life on his own, outside of the faceles war machine
>in this way he mirrors Kylo Ren
>accidentaly he runs into Poe, who gives him a chance to escape and takes him on a mission of delivering Skywalker map to Leia
>there's no Rey
>no young Jedi character, Luke is the only Jedi on rebel's side
>it's just an epic juourney of two bros who slowly build their frendship throughout the movie
>>
Actually they should have been the main characters. Rey should have been cut from the movie.
>>
>>63802914

They should've cut Rey out of the story and just made it a buddy cop movie about Broe and Finn stopping the New Order's drug trafficking ring.

Would've been movie of the year desu
>>
>>63802914
Because they need two characters so that one can be in the spinoff movie.
>>
>>63805069

But that would've been sexist
>>
>>63803792
You wouldn't hug the only reason you were alive and safe when you see him unexpectedly after you didn't know whether or not he was alive or dead?
>>
File: bird up cancelled.jpg (6 KB, 250x225) Image search: [Google]
bird up cancelled.jpg
6 KB, 250x225
>>63805012
Fucking JJ, why didn't he even consider this route? No, he had to go with muh Mary Sue character, fuck.
>>
>>63805127
No I wouldn't. I'm edgy though, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 480x640
>>63802914

>Debate me
>>
>>63805012
That's some nice pottery

>A stormtrooper that thinks that all rebels are scum and evil slowly learns to trust a rebel pilot

>A Rebel pilot that thinks that all stormtroopers are scum and evil slowly learns to trust a stormtrooper.
>>
I like threads like this. The discussions prompt better ideas for the movie than what we actually got.
>>
>>63803322
Does Greg Grunberg count? Cuz that was distracting as shit.
>>
Disney is going to make an implied homoerotic connection between Poe and Finn. They're gonna do it the absolute madmen.
>>
So does Poe have a decent amount of screentime? He's the only one I really wanna see..
>>
>>63805094
Could be a great anthology movie about the Empire. As long as they make a Shadow's of the Empire style movie I'd be happy
>>
File: 1082.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1082.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>63805161
I just came back from the movie and man I think this might be the most literal mary sue I have ever come across, serious wtf.

Hi, my name's Rey and I'm just automatically the best at literally everything ever at all times with zero help from anyone. Nice to meet you.
>>
File: 1450213146874.jpg (599 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1450213146874.jpg
599 KB, 1000x800
>>63802914
>>
I thought the Poe/Finn comraderie felt really genuine. The scene with them meeting up at the base was one of my favourites.
>>
>>63805768
He disappears for most of the movie just like the leaks said.

He's basically there for the first 20 minutes and the last 30 minutes but not enough of that time is dedicated to him anyway.
>>
So does Poe have a decent amount of screentime? He's the only one I really wanna see..>>63805865
Awwww fuuuckk. Hopefully he has a bigger role in later movies.
>>
>>>/pol/58765106
>>
>>63805380
They could also discover things about each other during their journey and find out that they aren't so diffrent after all.
Like, Poe grew up around some shady people, away from his biological family. He's kind of a rouge, like Han Solo, but at one point he ran into rebels who took care of him(perhaps Han himself). He could end up easily end up being a stormtrooper, just like Finn.
For some reason he's trigger happy against First Order, he holds some sort of grudge against them(maybe because something related to his biological parents or his rebel friends).
When he meets Finn he learns that not everyone on bad guys side is evil, and mostly it's based on circumstances, which would be overarching theme of the first movie.
Fuck, anything would be better than "muh family" and "muh Skywalkers".
>>
>>63802914
why does finn wear poe's jacket?
does he die and he wears it?
>>
>>63803322

It would have been even worse if the traitor stormie became the pilot who took out the superweapon - in terms of again being the new rebellion guy turning out to be the ace pilot. Other than that, though, I agree with OP.
>>
>>63803836
It's the hottest forced maymay.
>>
>>63804543

First half of the movie felt rushed as fuck. Finn just 'woah'ed his way from one escape to another
>>
>>63805812
Worst thing is, all that shit can literally just be waved off by ''muh force''

>How did she pilot the Falcon so well, despite almost crashing it constantly?
Force
>How did she managed to shoot better than most stormtroopers on her first time using a gun?
Force
>How did she beat Kylo Ren?
LITERALLY THE FORCE
IT MADE HER AN EXPERT FUCKING SWORDFIGHTER
AGAINST A GUY THAT HAS BEEN TRAINING FOR A LONG ASS TIME
FUCK
>>
>>63804543
What are you implying? The pacing was fucked.

>>63806293
The force is the most convenient plot device in the history of cinema.
>>
>>63803249
That's a guy from somethingawful's FYAD mocking atheists if I remember correctly.
>>
>>63802914
Poe Finn scenes were the best paced most entertaining scenes of the movie, merging then in one character does absolutely nothing.
>>
>>63806133
Yes, but then it turns out Poe survived. Finn is literally a jacket stealing comic relief janitor though, the SJW boogeyman is completely unfounded.
>>
>>63806293
>>63806433
So maybe you're above trashy popcorn movies like SW, but THE FORCE doing all of that shit has been present in literally ever Star Wars movie or related media.
>>
>>63804435
Do Rey and Poe have any scenes together?

Have they even met?
>>
>>63806512
>somethingawful
>the 10 dollar brigade mocking anyone
>>
>the bromance was so cool brah XD best bros for lyf huggin at da base

"no"
>>
>>63804528
It shows more about their individual characters not what you would do, faggot
>>
>>63806607
Not yet, they might be an item by the way Poe was treated like a hotshot hearthrob hero. Finn definitively isn't getting Rey.

>>63804435
He was affectionate calling people "buddy" and had a cute little robot.
>>
>>63804528
Because Finn never took part in the civilian slaughtering and nazi saluting, while your average Stormtrooper was happy toasting people to death.
>>
>>63806133
Poe lets him keep it to emphasise that poe is a sick cunt character that everyone should like.
Im not being a dick, I fucking love poe
>>
>>63806692
>Not yet, they might be an item by the way Poe was treated like a hotshot hearthrob hero. Finn definitively isn't getting Rey.
If that's how JJ is trying to set up a romance between the two that's pretty flimsy and reaching. The movie makes it look like she will end up with Finn after at least two more movies of "will they won't they" or she will end up alone and independent.
>>
>>63806635
Woman detected
>>
>>63806293

I dunno, it was pretty obvious that Kylo was a kid swinging his light saber around in rage, too much rage to even think straight. Sure, Darth Vader choked a mother fucker when they failed him, but he never hacked a console apart in pure clumsy rage. They should have shown Rey using her staff more, just to show she's got some sort of martial prowess, but I totally buy Kylo being a poorly trained goomba.
>>
>>63806893
She clearly treats him as a brother, any sexual tension is just more aping of A New Hope, only it got solved even faster in this movie as she clearly treats him like a little brother by the third act. Not to mention the casting for Finn's romance.
>>
>>63802914
Poe should have been an alien. Too many humans in this movie. Pretty much every human added to the cast is an admission of laziness.
>>
>>63806953
Go back to your home board
>>
>>63803836
It means you're a glibtard
>>
TIME
TO
GO
WATCH
TRANSFORMERS
>>
>>63806973
This is a good point, as we can see even Finn getting some hits in when fighting Kylo, but he was still beating her before she closed her eyes and connected with, or felt the force, or whatever.
>>
>>63802914
I liked their bromance. Made me jealous that I will never be bros with Oscar Isaac though
>>
>>63804649
>uneducated cretin
>mountains and mountains of fedoras

This is why /tv/ remains the worst board
>>
>>63805839
HAHA HOLY SHIT

GLIB FACSIMILE
>>
>>63805161
Rey's character was fucking ruined from the start by Kathleen Kennedy.
I'm seriously waiting for someone to bring this up and make a post about it somewhere, anywhere.
She literally used this movie to force a strong female character into the spotlight of the franchise. Now, there's nothing wrong with that at all, except they went way too fucking over board with it.
>Rey is mary sue x 10
>trying to make her into what anakin was said to be in the PT
>her mom will probably turn out to be midichlorians Luke impregnated in a wet dream.
Also:
>phasma was a desperate attempt to make a "badass female" character
>she'll comeback in ep. 8 and be this unstoppable bullshit terminator-esque character
>characters will fear her for no reason, and shell stomp everyone but Rey and luke
>probably even kill boba fett, just to drive the point home to the audience

Calling it now.
>>
>>63802914
how would that even work?
Also no they are bros and I liked there scenes together
>>
>>63806605

When in the OT was Luke outfighting a trained dark-sider, without having any training of his own at all?
>>
>>63808743
I bet Phasma is Rey's real mom.
>>
>>63807185

But Anon, everyone knows /lit/ and /mu/ are tied for the worst boards.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.